LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

Crick for me too.  It was a toss-up for me between Crick and Gladden, so I chose to settle on both. When Landy opened for transfers off for a brief time a while 

Mainly I just want to get it over with and get all my housing stuff out of storage and back into houses where it belongs.

I've been watching the housing situation on Crick and it's a little dismal if you want to have kinnies in the same neighborhood. Am hoping Turbine will open up some more neighborhoods, but I won't hold my breath. Anyway, hope to see you on Crick soon, Warspeech. :)

... the only time I really take notice is when they go off on the whole taters, Harry Potter, bacon thing for several hours and I do mean several.  Every now and then they invoke the unholy trinity and come up with something like "Harry Potter and bacon covered taters."  My guess is it's because Landy is a pretty hobbit centric server.  Yeah I get it hobbits love food, get over it.

Food yes, but I did not know Hobbits love Harry Potter. 

I've been watching the housing situation on Crick and it's a little dismal if you want to have kinnies in the same neighborhood. Am hoping Turbine will open up some more neighborhoods, but I won't hold my breath. Anyway, hope to see you on Crick soon, Warspeech. :)

Food yes, but I did not know Hobbits love Harry Potter. 

Oh yes, everyone loves Harry Potter, even Sauron.  

• Upvote 1

After almost 2 weeks on Landroval I'd say most people are pretty chill. There are a few humorless tight asses that rear up on /world every now and then but for the most part everyone's cool.

Then again, I did get a warning from a GM cause someone reported me for calling them a vagina.

Edited by Broken Fox

After almost 2 weeks on Landroval I'd say most people are pretty chill. There are a few humorless tight asses that rear up on /world every now and then but for the most part everyone's cool.

Then again, I did get a warning from a GM cause someone reported me for calling them a vagina.

Like that's a bad thing.  A vagina is such a wonderful and beautiful thing.  It's not like you called someone dog shit with hair.  One of the few perks of being on a dead server is the ability to say whatever you want because there weren't enough people around to give a crap.

Some info. about free transfers posted today by Vyv:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579416-World-Transfer-Q-amp-A&p=7484522#post7484522

"Free transfer tokens will be granted on the day we bring the worlds up in the new datacenter. Once those are on you accounts and we open transfers again between the remaining worlds, transfer will work the same way it does now for free ones, only instead of seeing "FREE" under the cost column, you will see 1 token for each character you have selected to transfer if the transfer is from a PAID server. At check out if you do not have enough tokens on your account, you will be linked to the site where you can purchase more to complete the transfer or choose to change the characters you are moving. Closing world transfers will still say FREE as will the world of the week/ month during the time when we will be allowing 10 Remaining worlds to redistribute. We will be giving each remaining world 1 free week in rotation followed by a one month rotation for each. I will have the schedule up for these on the website before the new data center is live."

"

From Vyv:
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579416-World-Transfer-Q-amp-A&p=7484954#post7484954

"1. Are the new servers already in place in the datacenters (incl. the european one)? or will they be shipped there before or after the migration process?
All hardware is already in place, we are just working on configurations and porting over all of the data now, including a snap shot of all account and character data up to a couple weeks ago, meaning on the downtime we only have to copy a few weeks vs many years.

2. How long are you expecting (estimate) the downtime (if any) for the migration process?
Downtime is expected to be equivalent to a large update and maintenance window, so 6-12 hours, but we will have a better idea in the next couple weeks as we close in on the actual launch date and have an accurate reading on the data transfer time."

and
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575685-World-Transfer-Status-Updates&p=7485058#post7485058

"We will be opening Vanyar for transfers to remaining worlds on 11/23/2015.

Dwarrowdelf will open for transfers on 11/24/2015."

From Vyv today:

"Withywindle is now open for transfers (11/30/2015)

Silverlode will be available for transfers tomorrow 12/1/2015"

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575685-World-Transfer-Status-Updates&p=7490237#post7490237

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015, Tinker said:

Glad your transfer went smoothly, warspeech. One of my alts is a kin leader and lost all her kinship house items, but I contacted a GM and she kindly helped me retrieve everything. Nice you got the same house, too. Hope I'll see you in game at some point. :) 

Thanks, Tinker! I was on a little bit over the weekend, and it was a real eye-opener to see other people of varying levels no matter where I was in the game world.  It's been a really long time since I've seen that on my main world.

• Upvote 1

From Vyv, another Bullroarer stress test Tuesday Dec 1:

"Time for Load Test #3 for the new hardware! This time the theme will be Festival of Festivals! We invite you to join us on Bullroarer from 5-7pm EST Tuesday December 1st to experience all of the festivals that we can turn on simultaneously. No need to gather in one location. We want to encourage a normal game time spread of characters across the world. Additionally we will be testing Update 17.1 at this time, patch notes will be posted prior to the test. 

All who log into Bullroarer during this window will receive a 100 Turbine Point code sent to their email account on file (please check to make sure your email is updated) and be entered into a drawing for a Lifetime Account, 5K Turbine Points and 1K Turbine Point codes."

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?584889-New-Hardware-Load-Test-3-Tuesday-December-1st-2015-5-7-PM-EST&p=7490336#post7490336

11 hours ago, warspeech said:

...I was on a little bit over the weekend, and it was a real eye-opener to see other people of varying levels no matter where I was in the game world.  It's been a really long time since I've seen that on my main world.

it is nice being on an active server again.

as you can see by my profile, i successfully moved to Brandywine.  in this case successfully is an understatement...

back when i started playing i wanted to create a character i had (in another game) that i was actually ranked in the top 20 globally (was breif, but still...)  and back in Spring of 2008, that name was taken on all but Firefoot.  so i made this "one off" character on Firefoot & it pretty much sat there after i hit level 20 (in the old game that took me about 2 weeks of playing a couple hours per day)  that character (name intact) is now successfully transferred to Brandywine.  the former owner had not played in (from all my checking) at least 4 years, (very likely longer.)  so that was a huge plus.

then my 11 characters on Nimrodel (plus my 2 free to play, for 13 total) all made the transition to Brandywine.  & i kept ALL the names!  i was shocked as i was certain i'd lose my minstrel, but even he made it intact.  and everything transferred without any loss of items, etc.

on top of that, i got my Kinhouse, personal deluxe home & free to play deluxe home all in the exact same spot (side by side by side) i had on Nimrodel.  the only thing is the neighborhood name was different, but that was a non issue for me.

... so yeah, very successful.

and yes, Brandywine can be laggy, but  NOT AS LAGGY AS NIMRODEL!  ;)

from my perspective a big improvement & one that i hope will get even better once they are on the new data centers & have that set up for 10 (5 in New Jersey and 5 in Amsterdam) servers, instead of the current 28.

i personally think the performance of actual combat (especially in large groups) won't benefit so much from the more robust memory on the newer systems, as things like vault lag, auction hall lag and such.  whilst the former will be more due to actually having a better set up (less servers) and location (5 at each); the later (i suspect) will see the biggest gains from the actual new hardware.

all that said, it is indeed nice to see activity in the game & have an auction hall actually worth participating in, (selling and buying stuff for a decent price.)  & the opportunities for grouping...  more than i have enough energy for, that is for sure, but the frequency of opportunity is really nice, so i can & already have taken advantage of.

8 hours ago, Doro said:

That sounds suspiciously like one of my predictions for the final doom of LotRO.

That isn't selling one ;)

I received around 30k TP on a lifetime account for 'free'. Based on the best deal (31.5k points/ € 150) that's getting close to receiving my initial investment, which if I remember correctly was around the € 200, back in TP. 

So though the quality of the game is greatly reduced, considering the time I've played Lotro and still play it casually, it was a great deal for me and a bad deal for Turbine ;) And I guess that's true for most lifetimers

from Vyv, today:  looks like they're afraid the Snowy pop. will break the old hardware.

"On Monday December 7th we will open transfers off of Vilya.

At this time we will also be closing free transfers off of Brandywine and Evernight and switching to Arkenstone and Gwaihir. 

Tuesday Dec 8th we will be opening transfers off of Meneldor completing the US closing worlds.

We are holding off on opening Snowbourn for a week or two as we add hardware capacity to our larger EU worlds to handle the load. It is possible this world may not be opened for transfers until we are in the new data center. 

Work is coming to a close on this project and we hope to have a launch date for you soon once we have worked though the final testing of the environment.

Thank you for your continued patience!
Athena "Vyvyanne" Peters"

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575685-World-Transfer-Status-Updates&p=7491774#post7491774

From Vyv, about transfer failures:

"We do have about a 3% failure in transfers, these are often due to IID conflicts. Basically you have an item on your character that has a back end item code that exactly matches another one on the server you are transferring to. This will have to be fixed by a GM. We are working hard to get through this tickets as fast as possible."

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579416-World-Transfer-Q-amp-A&p=7494118#post7494118