LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

8 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

I have no idea what is going on with this anymore, do I need to move off of Snowbourn yet or not, so confused?!

If so how do I do it? Is it just in the client (I haven't updated my client for ages)?

Apparently we're waiting until the server upgrades... I think. I have no clue anymore.

43 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

I have no idea what is going on with this anymore, do I need to move off of Snowbourn yet or not, so confused?!

If so how do I do it? Is it just in the client (I haven't updated my client for ages)?

Snowy isn't open for transfers at the moment so you can't leave.

Which probably is just as good anyways because performance on Evernight is terrible at the moment. Forget about pv if more then 30 people are in an area. 20 second lag freezes in instances, group wide (it's not just me and my machine ty). General errors all over the places.. freeze lag in areas with more then 10 people.. reduced awareness in instances. Terrible.

When you are able to transfer you will be able to do it from the client when you log in. There will be a button to transfer, then you'll make your choices based on whats there. There is a window of time where you won't be able to log in afaik, but you'll get an email saying you are good to go when it's done. 

IMO, you should SS everything in vaults, money, housing, wallet, gear etc just in case.

13 hours ago, nosam9 said:

With all Turbine's talk of "adding new hardware" to servers to improve the lag, it looks like they finally admitted some of the problems have been caused by their underpowered servers.

I hope they can get the new hardware up quickly, because the remaining servers have been getting the "server full" login server glitch a lot more frequently now.  That's assuming that new hardware will prevent that from happening; let's hope so.

Also it looks like the chat server is a bottleneck to getting everyone on the new hardware; they opened up BR last night to try to get some data:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?585661-Chat-testing-on-Bullroarer&p=7494925#post7494925

"We have opened the Bullroarer server with a VERY EARLY build of 17.2. Please be aware that any new content in this build is not ready for testing and is likely to be incomplete and/or bugged.

We are opening this build because we need to get some testing on the Chat server so that we can collect logs and make corrections to it in order to open the new datacenter. So we are asking players to get in when able and chat....a lot! send in bug reports if you get a chat disconnection.

Additionally we are making some mounted combat improvements and would like feedback on that:
Melee skill damage in mounted combat has been increased.
The Red Dawn version of All in the Wrist is now a ranged skill.

Thank you for your assistance!
Vyvyanne"

inb4 people start writing feedback about unfinished stuff or a different system than chat, or saying they don't like the new whatever instead of feedback regarding what was asked for, then start whining that their feedback isn't wanted.

And before someone starts, notice I did not say Turbine always listens.

8 hours ago, warspeech said:

I hope they can get the new hardware up quickly, ...

I don't.  I want them to take their time with it and go over everything with a fine-toothed comb before the switch happens, as the switch happens and after the switch happens.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dalthalion said:

I don't.  I want them to take their time with it and go over everything with a fine-toothed comb before the switch happens, as the switch happens and after the switch happens.

Fair point.  Then I hope they can assign people to be available to fix the logon servers quickly especially over the weekends, until the new setup is ready to go.

In other news, Vyv announced that Snowbourn will be open to transfers off on Monday Dec. 14.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575685-World-Transfer-Status-Updates&p=7495672#post7495672

"Snowbourn available for transfers December 14th!

Title says it all, the last of our closing worlds to begin migration will be Snowbourn on Dec 14th!"

10 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

x9nKXfI.gif

9 hours ago, warspeech said:

"Snowbourn available for transfers December 14th!

Title says it all, the last of our closing worlds to begin migration will be Snowbourn on Dec 14th!"

RIP Evernight.

On 12/8/2015 at 1:32 PM, Laurinaohtar said:

this Monday (December 14 2015 @sometime just before, or around noon eastern US) Snowbourn will be the last of the closing worlds to open for transfers.

generally the day of; queue times are over an hour, but with each passing day the queue times drop dramatically.  so if you want an instant transfer, wait a couple days, then move.

i wonder if it will be almost a month before the closing worlds actually shut, or shorter >< longer?

regardless, the transfer feature will still be able to access account data on closing worlds, even after they are gone.

4 hours ago, Thrabath said:

true, the main reason is less lag and less complaining in chats ;)

while it will be quieter, no question.  unless you actually PvMP, the lag will be no different.  in fact, it will likely be much worse.

& Evernight is actually a pretty decent server.  the Auction Hall is healthy & grouping is as well, for stuff of ALL levels.

it only takes one to stink up chat, but frankly, that is true for every server.  even the "dead" servers could be a toxic shit heap with just one troll monopolizing the bandwidth, (and the countless do-gooders who can't help but respond...)   you can fixate on that noise & it can be the total reality if you see only that, but it is just noise.  Evernight does have a pretty decent signal as well.  lots of grouping, and a vibrant AH.

but as servers scheduled to close empty out, there is no need to pump premium bandwidth to them at the expense of active servers.  & plenty of folk can attest to the reduced awareness messages on the near empty servers.

regardless, do as you please.  Snowbourn won't go completely quiet till after the first weekend passes anyway.  most servers take a good couple weeks before they resemble a flat line of activity.

but mark my words, you WILL lag.

in case you don't like your new home, here's when you can transfer off for free:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575685-World-Transfer-Status-Updates&p=7496793#post7496793

"While we are still working through some kinks in upgrading from 32-bit to 64bit Operating Systems for our new hardware, we have come to the last of the list of opening closing worlds for transfer. On Dec 14th Snowbourn will be opened for transfer. 
All closing worlds will then be available for transfer.

We will also be offering Free transfers between remaining worlds following the below schedule.
• Dec 7th- Jan 3rd: Arkenstone & Gwaihir
• Jan 4th- 10th: Landroval & Belegaer
• Jan 11th- 17th: Crickhollow & Sirannon
• Jan 18th- Jan 24th: Gladden & Laurelin
• Jan 25th- Feb 29th: Brandywine & Evernight
• March 1st- 31st: Arkenstone & Gwaihir
• April 1st - May 1st: Landroval & Belegaer
• May 2nd- May 31st: Crickhollow & Sirannon
• June 1st- 30th: Gladden & Laurelin

Please note that transfers off of closing worlds will remain free permanently regardless of schedule.
All Closing worlds will no longer be available for play on April 4th 2016. Characters will remain available for transfer to an open world.

Once again we are grateful for your patience throughout this process that took longer than any of us expected, but we are very excited about this upgrade and the boosted activity on the top ten worlds and we hope you are as well!

Thank you,
Athena “Vyvyanne” Peters
Executive Producer- Lord of the Rings Online"

49 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Please note that transfers off of closing worlds will remain free permanently regardless of schedule.
All Closing worlds will no longer be available for play on April 4th 2016. Characters will remain available for transfer to an open world.

that is a really long window for players to stay on their old servers, should they desire to do so.  but looks like whatever larger arrangement they have for hosting all their games will run through the first quarter of 2016.

also the first week long transfer periods seem to be for those who want to switch right now & the month long ones, for those who are still on the fence.

regardless, it is a very decent window of time, months longer than i initially expected.

You know when they fucked up DDO by testing F2P on it just to get WB's attention? Anyone else get the feeling that this whole thing is just a test for something else? Like they're testing the new hardware and when they've got the data they'll go for the shutdown and use it for something else WB has in the pipeline but haven't decided on yet.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

You know when they fucked up DDO by testing F2P on it just to get WB's attention? Anyone else get the feeling that this whole thing is just a test for something else? Like they're testing the new hardware and when they've got the data they'll go for the shutdown and use it for something else WB has in the pipeline but haven't decided on yet.

What floored me was this: "we are still working through some kinks in upgrading from 32-bit to 64bit Operating Systems for our new hardware".  When did they start their upgrades, and why is this still not done?  We've been assuming that this is the old Infinite Crisis hardware, was that not already using 64-bit operating systems?  This just puzzles me to no end...someone a while back mentioned old Microsoft code that isn't available any more, that the engine relied on - could it be compatibility issues? 

I wouldn't be surprised if the new hardware switchover takes a few more months, which is why they're leaving the old servers up till the beginning of April.

4 hours ago, warspeech said:

What floored me was this: "we are still working through some kinks in upgrading from 32-bit to 64bit Operating Systems for our new hardware".  When did they start their upgrades, and why is this still not done?  We've been assuming that this is the old Infinite Crisis hardware, was that not already using 64-bit operating systems?  This just puzzles me to no end...someone a while back mentioned old Microsoft code that isn't available any more, that the engine relied on - could it be compatibility issues? 

I wouldn't be surprised if the new hardware switchover takes a few more months, which is why they're leaving the old servers up till the beginning of April.

This is telling.  Remember when they stopped support for 32-bit systems that players were using?  Remember how they didn't tell anyone at first?  Perhaps they have been using 32-bit systems themselves at key points, accounting for a bit of the server lag.

• 2 weeks later...

From Vyv this morning:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?575685-World-Transfer-Status-Updates&p=7503298#post7503298

"3 Free Transfer Tokens

This morning we added 3 Character transfer tokens to every account and enabled the ability to use these to go between any of the ten remaining worlds. Transfers are 1 token per character so you can use these to move your main characters while you wait for a free window for your world or hold on to them for a later time in case you decide to try out a different world. 

This also means that the Account/ shared storage transfer is now available between all worlds and is free (no token needed). 

Currently the 3 tokens we have granted or any that you may have purchased prior are the only ones available. We will offer a way to purchase more in the new year.

We hope this helps those of you who may have made a mistake in your transfer choice or simply want a change of pace without waiting for free transfer windows. 

Happy Holidays from all of us to you!

LOTRO Team"