LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

I've never tried to transfer on LOTRO before, but as I understand it, it's never gone particularly well. (missing items, titles, etc)   I'm not sure why a week or 2 of 'doing whatever with copies to Bullroarer' will fix that. (and the people who answer clearly have no idea. but speak with that beautiful, Heydt-esque assurance, that fills me with weird delight and/or rage.)   

I went through and reserved the five names I care about on every NA server where I could, the idea being that if my real server isn't the first to transfer, I can maybe transfer Level 1 toons to hold the name.

I did the same, & my daughter has, as well.   It would seem reasonable to have done a name purge, but apparently, that's asking too much.  I fully expect Monday to roll around, & we'll hear a list of completely unexpected surviving servers.   I leveled a new character, got my house, and I'm *sure* a predictable-survivor server will be abandoned, in the next round of 'Oops!'

More from Vyv:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573104-World-Transfers&p=7413818#post7413818

"The transfer service we are introducing with this effort is a new one that is used through the launcher vs the old one that was run through a website. Additionally there are now new features and many items that will transfer/ copy with your characters such as account items that would not to so before. Opening Bullroarer first for copy will let us test with a broader set of variables than we can use on our internal tests alone. It lets you, the players get a practice run of the system so you can familiarize yourself with it before doing the real transfers. And it will also allow us to load test and get an idea of how fast copies/ transfers will be when multiple players are trying to use it at once.

So the same reasons for any Bullroarer tests we run, basically. There are times problems may not come to light until they are put in front of actual users and Bullroarer helps us find those things in a safe environment."

She keeps using "transfer/copy" as if they're the same thing.  

I don't have much (any) confidence that whatever they've rigged up to test on BR is going to be able to suss out the fails that can happen with the new features added to the transfer tool, like mithril coins and other server-bound items.  It can't be a real transfer, or everyone would have to transfer back to their real servers to keep playing.  

So it's a pseudo-transfer, not the real thing.  I'm staying far away from that mess.

Edited to add: I've been creating a character on every server that I've never played on before, just to hang out and see what the server looks like in case it turns out to be one of the remaining ones.  I'm hoping that will help me pick which one to transfer to instead of just blindly choosing.

More from Vyv:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573104-World-Transfers&p=7413818#post7413818

"The transfer service we are introducing with this effort is a new one that is used through the launcher vs the old one that was run through a website. Additionally there are now new features and many items that will transfer/ copy with your characters such as account items that would not to so before. Opening Bullroarer first for copy will let us test with a broader set of variables than we can use on our internal tests alone. It lets you, the players get a practice run of the system so you can familiarize yourself with it before doing the real transfers. And it will also allow us to load test and get an idea of how fast copies/ transfers will be when multiple players are trying to use it at once.

So the same reasons for any Bullroarer tests we run, basically. There are times problems may not come to light until they are put in front of actual users and Bullroarer helps us find those things in a safe environment."

She keeps using "transfer/copy" as if they're the same thing.  

While it is technically still a copy it is using the same tools as a transfer would use so it is different than the previous copies to Bullroarer.

I think it makes sense to roll it out like that. However I am a bit skeptical about the feedback that they will get.

I will not try this out and download the BR client unless I will be able to log into BR come Monday.

To my way of thinking, it's not a transfer if the main character is preserved on the original server.

It's a "cross-their-fingers-and-hope-the-real-transfers-work" exercise that might give them some data on speed/load factors, but will inevitably miss things that'll crop up once they're dealing with real, non-recoverable transfers.

Sigh...

I haven't been plying but I guess I need to transfer in the event I decide to play again some day.

I loved my personal kinship (Rohirrim) and kin house. It was created on day one of Riddermark server and I have been the only active member for ~3 years. I am a member of another kin for my "active" characters. So I lose my kinhouse due to the inactive in that kinship and... is it worth the trouble to recreate a kin with the help of those from my active kinship... sigh...

Also need to create inventory space for all the furniture and such from my house and kin house and then redecorate... decorating is fun but will take many hours due to bound items and the PITA associated with that... sigh...

They've probably written it so that:

Transfers = Copy + Delete from origin server

That makes sense.  I'm not going to touch it until others report on their experiences, however!  Here's hoping they remember to disable the "delete" part for the BR testing.  Else we'll get another "oops! post from Vyv.

Sigh...

I haven't been plying but I guess I need to transfer in the event I decide to play again some day.

I loved my personal kinship (Rohirrim) and kin house. It was created on day one of Riddermark server and I have been the only active member for ~3 years. I am a member of another kin for my "active" characters. So I lose my kinhouse due to the inactive in that kinship and... is it worth the trouble to recreate a kin with the help of those from my active kinship... sigh...

Also need to create inventory space for all the furniture and such from my house and kin house and then redecorate... decorating is fun but will take many hours due to bound items and the PITA associated with that... sigh...

I agree that setting up the houses again will be a royal PITA.  Take lots of screenshots before the transfer!

But for the inventory issue, they've said they're considering giving VIP/premium players two more free character slots - you can get a lot of storage space w/ gold on those characters to store housing stuff on the new server, you shouldn't have to delete stuff to make room for it all.

So I lose my kinhouse due to the inactive in that kinship and... is it worth the trouble to recreate a kin with the help of those from my active kinship... sigh...

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your meaning above, but just in case... The rules have changed and you only need one member to make a viable kinship now. So you won't need any help from any other players/alts to have a kin house for a new kinship. :)

• Upvote 1

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your meaning above, but just in case... The rules have changed and you only need one member to make a viable kinship now. So you won't need any help from any other players/alts to have a kin house for a new kinship. :)

Thank you Tinker = I didn't know that they made that change. If they also changed the requirement that the kinship had to exist "x number of months" before purchase it would make the kinship transition less of a pain at least.

I agree that setting up the houses again will be a royal PITA.  Take lots of screenshots before the transfer!

But for the inventory issue, they've said they're considering giving VIP/premium players two more free character slots - you can get a lot of storage space w/ gold on those characters to store housing stuff on the new server, you shouldn't have to delete stuff to make room for it all.

I will manage for inventory transition I think as I have three mule characters... but it will be a time consuming pain.

I need to log on this weekend to determine where my kin plans to move. We had been thinking Brandy a few months ago but it seems that is not going to be an option.

Will be nice to say hi to the kin though... those still active at least. :(

Thank you Tinker = I didn't know that they made that change. If they also changed the requirement that the kinship had to exist "x number of months" before purchase it would make the kinship transition less of a pain at least.

I will manage for inventory transition I think as I have three mule characters... but it will be a time consuming pain.

I need to log on this weekend to determine where my kin plans to move. We had been thinking Brandy a few months ago but it seems that is not going to be an option.

Will be nice to say hi to the kin though... those still active at least. :(

Hi Wulf

It's been a while, eh, mi amigo? I've not been playing much in the last year or so, but I checked in on the kin website and there is at least a pulse with regards to server transfer. It might be nice (but probably futile) to try and get as much of PoME as possible on a new world. Who knows, we might even be able to rebuild it if there is enough critical mass. Landy could be good...

I'm willing to give it another shot.

Mith

Hi Wulf

It's been a while, eh, mi amigo? I've not been playing much in the last year or so, but I checked in on the kin website and there is at least a pulse with regards to server transfer. It might be nice (but probably futile) to try and get as much of PoME as possible on a new world. Who knows, we might even be able to rebuild it if there is enough critical mass. Landy could be good...

I'm willing to give it another shot.

Mith

Good to hear from you Mith.

Landy was option 2 for me as Celeb is established there. I have only logged into LOTRO a couple times in the last few months as well so I don't know what the kin plans are. I will log on to try to get a handle on things and let you know what's up.

The plan is that you'll be able to disband your kin on the closing server and re-form it on the destination, without any loss of status. That means, as soon as you log in on the new server and re-create the kin, you'll be able to buy the kinhouse. Like player names, if a kin with the name already exists, it'll be re-created with the ~1. Unlike player names, you'll have to contact a GM to get the name changed.

*if* everything goes right.

The plan is that you'll be able to disband your kin on the closing server and re-form it on the destination, without any loss of status. That means, as soon as you log in on the new server and re-create the kin, you'll be able to buy the kinhouse. Like player names, if a kin with the name already exists, it'll be re-created with the ~1. Unlike player names, you'll have to contact a GM to get the name changed.

*if* everything goes right.

And, should the kinship name be taken on the new server, does that throw a wrench into maintaining the status?

And, should the kinship name be taken on the new server, does that throw a wrench into maintaining the status?

The goal is that when a kin leader transfers the kin plus its status transfers. This means both rank and eventual kin chest slots. The name is secondary I guess but will transfer and eventually be suffixed if the name is taken on the destination server.

All bound items in kinhouse should return to escrow of their respective owners when the leader transfers. 

This is why kin leaders should transfer first as it ensures bound items to be returned. If a char transfers but forgets to pick up a bound item in a kinhouse or normal house then the item will be lost.

So kinleaders first then house owners next then the rest.

The above is the reason I am not trusting the move all chars at once options much. I would need to make sure that: first any kin leaders of my toons that are not my toons move. Then my mom leaders move. Then my house owners move. Then the rest can follow.

I am also not sure if escrow moved automatically as well or if I have to pick up escrow first (for returned items from kin or house owners). Of course items bound to house owners and the unbound items will be in the kind or houses escrow after moving.

I will certainly watch any reports of test transfers to BR closely.

The goal is that when a kin leader transfers the kin plus its status transfers. This means both rank and eventual kin chest slots. The name is secondary I guess but will transfer and eventually be suffixed if the name is taken on the destination server.

All bound items in kinhouse should return to escrow of their respective owners when the leader transfers. 

This is why kin leaders should transfer first as it ensures bound items to be returned. If a char transfers but forgets to pick up a bound item in a kinhouse or normal house then the item will be lost.

So kinleaders first then house owners next then the rest.

The above is the reason I am not trusting the move all chars at once options much. I would need to make sure that: first any kin leaders of my toons that are not my toons move. Then my mom leaders move. Then my house owners move. Then the rest can follow.

I am also not sure if escrow moved automatically as well or if I have to pick up escrow first (for returned items from kin or house owners). Of course items bound to house owners and the unbound items will be in the kind or houses escrow after moving.

I will certainly watch any reports of test transfers to BR closely.

In order to prevent any loss (hopefully) I plan to visit my kinhouse and house prior to any transfer and pick up or return to owners all the items there. Using the existing on server mechanics rather than newly developed cross server mechanics. As I say "hopefully" this is a more reliable method.

Edited by fittybolger

Will different shared wardrobe items be combined? I have one character on Landy with a few items in wardrobe that are not in my Imladris characters' full wardrobe. If I move alts to Landy, will I lose some of the wardrobe items? 

That's a good question, and one I'll be facing too.  When I'm sure that the initial testing of the new transfer tool to BR doesn't break anything on my real chars, I'll try transferring one from each of my servers to BR and see how the wardrobe ends up.

• Upvote 1

That's a good question, and one I'll be facing too.  When I'm sure that the initial testing of the new transfer tool to BR doesn't break anything on my real chars, I'll try transferring one from each of my servers to BR and see how the wardrobe ends up.

Great idea, Warspeech. Please let us know the outcome if you're able to do this on BR. :)

I'm really curious what the 5th EU server will be.

Almost certain are:

- Gwaihir (DE)
- Sirannon (FR)
- Evernight (EN)
- Laurelin (EN-RP)

and the 5th will be I guess either Snowbourn or Belegaer, it all depends how they estimate the RP-transfers and how they look to the RP server, it will be or this:
- Gwaihir (EU-DE)
- Sirannon (EU-FR)
- Evernight (EU-EN)
- Snowbourn (EU-EN)

- Laurelin (EU-RP)

Or this:
- Gwaihir (EU-DE)
- Belegaer (EU-DE)

- Sirannon (EU-FR)
- Evernight (EU-EN)
- Laurelin (EU-EN) (rp)

world closings announced:

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/world-closure-announcement

Closing Worlds:

US

EU

Elendilmir

Estel

Riddermark

Gilrain

Firefoot

Eldar

Nimrodel

Anduin

Windfola

Morthond

Imladris

Maiar

Darrowdelf

Vanyar

Silverlode

Withywindle

Vilya

Snowbourn

Meneldor

Remaining Worlds:

US

EU

Arkenstone

Belegaer

Crickhollow

Gwaihir

Landroval

Sirannon

Gladden

Laurelin

Brandywine

Evernight

I've got all slots full on Landy, Ark, and BW - that leaves Gladden and Crick for me to move to.  Anyone have any opinions on one vs the other?

Then the logins data were obvioulsy right, despite they said the data I posted were wrong and Sapience sent me plenty of bans for "Fabricated and misleading information"...

Yep, he and all the other OF die-hards who went to ridiculous lengths to bad-mouth your data.  We believed in you, though.