LOTROCommunity

Update on Transfers/Server Consolidations

Stickeez

Great idea, Warspeech. Please let us know the outcome if you're able to do this on BR. :)

I transferred two characters from different servers, both with full wardrobes (for me, that's 100 slots). 

On BR, I ended up with wardrobe overflow of 192/100.

I'm assuming the missing 8 are duplicates, things like cloaks or pre-order items that I had in both wardrobes, but I didn't scroll thru everything to check for certain.

It's been a long time since I had a wardrobe overflow; I think if you take something out while it's over your limit, it's gone for good, right?  So Tinker, I'd just be very careful to only remove stuff from the wardrobe that you know you can replace, once you do your transfers.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the dyes on the items that I checked were all preserved thru the transfers, I didn't lose any of the colors on things in the wardrobe.

2nd edit: Shared storage items end up in overflow too if it exceeds your max., forgot to mention that as well.

Edited by warspeech
  • Upvote 1

Landroval is not even a proper RP server - rather the fake-RP there is most in the form of "Hi De Hi" butlins-style events set out to strict timetables. Anyone in doubt just take a look at the LMB website. Thankfully the RP on Laurelin is about as far removed from that style as one could get.

I don't RP but I am on Landy. Painting the RP there because of 1 Kin, based off their website is silly. There are several RP Kinships that add much flavor and depth to the game. The Bounders comes to mind right away, the Shire wouldn't be the same without them. Shadow Company, a number of Elvish ones I can't spell off the top of my head, Green Hills Music Society, the list goes on. Not to mention there are many LMB members are very cool.

Pick out some posters here and broad stroke this place like that and watch the uproar about how stupid they are begin.

fitty, I just created two new chars on my closing server, they haven't turned it off yet.  Make two more quick to help with your housing item overflow!

Odd, it's disabled for me on Elendilmir.

Edit: Huh, was turned off earlier, now it's back on.

Vyv's post:

We have turned Character Creation back on for the closing worlds. It was causing some unforeseen issues with some quests so we have decided to let it remain for now.

And so it begins?

Edited by Spiteful
  • Upvote 1

I'm lazy and haven't been paying attention, but is it going to be as simple as 'click button, transfer shit' for people who want to move the whole shebang in one go?

I think so Doro, though I haven't payed as much attention since I don't have to move.

We are changing our transfer service to occur in the game launcher itself. In the world selection window, you will see the “Transfer” button. Click on that and you will see all the worlds and the characters you have on each. You can choose to move just one character, all characters, shared items or no shared items to a target world of your choosing.

Sounds like you can check a box and move everything. I notice that some of the people here are putting stuff in their bags and not leaving stuff in their vaults, etc. but I didn't see the reasoning.

Edited by Spiteful

Sounds like you can check a box and move everything. I notice that some of the people here are putting stuff in their bags and not leaving stuff in their vaults, etc. but I didn't see the reasoning.

I'm guessing fear of Turbine fucking it all up and everything going missing during transfer. Pretty understandable given... well, everything.

It's a new button on the BR launcher, "transfer".  When you click it, you get a bunch of clickys for world, shared items, all or specific chars, and destination.  You have to click "next'" to cycle thru them and can go back to change or double-check things with "previous".  It was pretty painless, you get an email when it's done.  I don't think you need to move stuff from storage into bags, but I can't blame anyone who's worried since this is a new thing for Turbine and, well, Turbine.

It's a new button on the BR launcher, "transfer".  When you click it, you get a bunch of clickys for world, shared items, all or specific chars, and destination.  You have to click "next'" to cycle thru them and can go back to change or double-check things with "previous".  It was pretty painless, you get an email when it's done.  I don't think you need to move stuff from storage into bags, but I can't blame anyone who's worried since this is a new thing for Turbine and, well, Turbine.

I am leaving my vault storage full.

I did empty my house, kinhouse (furnishings and storage) and shared storage into bags and vault = I am half paranoid I guess. :P

I haven't played much over the last year or so but I am hoping this population consolidation might be a shot in the arm for LOTRO... time will tell.

I don't RP but I am on Landy. Painting the RP there because of 1 Kin, based off their website is silly. There are several RP Kinships that add much flavor and depth to the game. The Bounders comes to mind right away, the Shire wouldn't be the same without them. Shadow Company, a number of Elvish ones I can't spell off the top of my head, Green Hills Music Society, the list goes on. Not to mention there are many LMB members are very cool.

Pick out some posters here and broad stroke this place like that and watch the uproar about how stupid they are begin.

I can only go by what my experiences are. If the "premiere RP" kin on that server wants to present itself and the wider community in the fashion that they do then who am I to tell them otherwise? 

I can only go by what my experiences are. If the "premiere RP" kin on that server wants to present itself and the wider community in the fashion that they do then who am I to tell them otherwise? 

a reasonable, seemingly intelligent adult who can think for himself?

:)

So I see VIP Freeps got extra slots, what about Creeps? If I move to BW I would have to delete Creeps, they aren't that high ranked, but still.....

That's just it.  They've closed transfer to Brandy until the "hardware upgrades," so you've only got up to four places to move your characters, if you want to stay in your continental geography.

I am leaving my vault storage full.

I did empty my house, kinhouse (furnishings and storage) and shared storage into bags and vault = I am half paranoid I guess. :P

I haven't played much over the last year or so but I am hoping this population consolidation might be a shot in the arm for LOTRO... time will tell.

I have a feeling that I'll do the transfers, set up my houses, pay the 6-month maintenance, and go back to forgetting about it pretty much.  

So I see VIP Freeps got extra slots, what about Creeps? If I move to BW I would have to delete Creeps, they aren't that high ranked, but still.....

I thought I read something from Vyv in the past few days about transferred creeps getting a drop-down choice box to pick which one you want to play if you have more than one of the same type; if that's not what you're talking about I apologize.

If I run across it again I'll post a link to it.

What worries me just a little is the patch notes regarding the testing of this service:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?573762-World-Transfer-service-testing&p=7416459#post7416459

The bit that gets me is this:

• Items on Housing hooks, house purchase cost, and housing prepaid upkeep are not included in a character copy (even though they would be included in a character transfer).
  • Kinship membership / leadership / housing are not part of a character copy (even though they would be included in a character transfer

So basically, testing of keeping kins alive, and having housing items on hooks drop into escrow are NOT being tested. 

This testing is just a copy, it states that in BR launcher, the drop down options for transfer are not there, and as said the above can't be tested, but they assure us it will all be fine!

I'll be shifting housing items into vaults and bags myself, storage mules if needed, no way would I like to trust a system that I haven't seen work first hand in testing.  I guess we'll know for sure how it all works once those first servers start moving stuff.

It all transfers.  Each character keeps their own stuff, and for the account-wide stuff like marks/mithril coins, you need to select the "shared account items" as part of the transfer.

Wonder how many people will manage to mess that up :D

One things for sure though: There'll be quite a few "where's my server??" threads once the consolidation is over.

I logged onto my E toons yesterday and emptied their houses, abandoned them, then pulled everything out of storage and escrow and put them in bags. I don't trust anything not in my bags to carry over because there's too much room for error. I also sold everything that wasn't actually necessary. I'll have some -1 names when they move to Gladden because my mains are there and I duplicated some of the names I could when I created the Elendilmir toons about 5 years back. I'm not planning on renaming them, they can stay with -1.

My biggest worry is that Gladden is going to become the clusterfuck that Brandywine is, and I have damn little reason to log on right now anyway. In the long run it probably won't matter because I don't spend any money and very little time in game and don't see that changing going forward given the piss-poor state of group content and class balance.

I still expect Turbine to fuck this transfer situation up somehow. They're so good at missing the obvious.

Who calls them the "premiere" RP Kin of Landy? Oh, no one. In fact they aren't even an actual strict RP Kin. Apparently your "experience" is lacking greatly. They're an optional RP Kin.

Obviously you missed the point. I didn't suggest you tell them anything. I said painting an entire server, or how other Kins operate and do things based on the actions of 1 Kinship is silly, which it is.

Edited by Spiteful

I transferred two characters from different servers, both with full wardrobes (for me, that's 100 slots). 

On BR, I ended up with wardrobe overflow of 192/100.

I'm assuming the missing 8 are duplicates, things like cloaks or pre-order items that I had in both wardrobes, but I didn't scroll thru everything to check for certain.

It's been a long time since I had a wardrobe overflow; I think if you take something out while it's over your limit, it's gone for good, right?  So Tinker, I'd just be very careful to only remove stuff from the wardrobe that you know you can replace, once you do your transfers.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the dyes on the items that I checked were all preserved thru the transfers, I didn't lose any of the colors on things in the wardrobe.

2nd edit: Shared storage items end up in overflow too if it exceeds your max., forgot to mention that as well.

Thanks Warspeech, for doing this and reporting back. I'm a bit concerned about losing items from my houses. Guess I'll go through them to find all the bound decor and send them to the alts who own them just in case.

I have a feeling that I'll do the transfers, set up my houses, pay the 6-month maintenance, and go back to forgetting about it pretty much.  

I thought I read something from Vyv in the past few days about transferred creeps getting a drop-down choice box to pick which one you want to play if you have more than one of the same type; if that's not what you're talking about I apologize.

If I run across it again I'll post a link to it.

4. Transfer of Reaver (or other Monster characters): You can have multiples of one type in cases of transfer of monster characters. In this case you should find a small drop down arrow next to that monster type that will give you a selection of Reavers (or other types) to choose from.

This is the one I think War means

Also ran across this

OP is asking about what will happen to the Server Sub Forums for the closed Servers

In the short term, once all the server moves have been completed we will put the closed server forums in read-only mode. In the longer term it will depend on what happens when we update the website and what we do with the current forums, which has not yet been decided.

Has there been some talk of another Website/Forums redesign?

Edited by Spiteful

Who calls them the "premiere" RP Kin of Landy? Oh, no one. In fact they aren't even an actual strict RP Kin. Apparently your "experience" is lacking greatly. They're an optional RP Kin.

Obviously you missed the point. I didn't suggest you tell them anything. I said painting an entire server, or how other Kins operate and do things based on the actions of 1 Kinship is silly, which it is.

yeah agreed.  We had some real assholes in every kin/Guild I've every been in.  And we had some top tier guilds on the server filled with assholes.  Luckily they are soon replaced by new assholes. 

This is the age of the internet where folks hide behind a screen name to be a holes.  But I can tell you from years of experience that there are many gems in the rubbish pile.  The trick is finding them.  

And you guys didn't seriously think they'd close the weatherstock server did ya?  I imagine lots of players attending the event stay there.  The only fair way to determine which server lives and which dies is based on activity.  Landy always seemed to have one of the bigger pops.  

And just wait to see what happens when non RP trolls get sent there.  I foresee turtles and avancs invading all the events!  

Its a giant shit sandwich and a lot of players are going to have to take a bite.  I can understand the animosity towards players who will not be forced to move or lose their housing hooks.  But thinking a single kin is the reason a server is being kept is foolish.  

yeah agreed.  We had some real assholes in every kin/Guild I've every been in.  And we had some top tier guilds on the server filled with assholes.  Luckily they are soon replaced by new assholes. 

This is the age of the internet where folks hide behind a screen name to be a holes.  But I can tell you from years of experience that there are many gems in the rubbish pile.  The trick is finding them.  

And you guys didn't seriously think they'd close the weatherstock server did ya?  I imagine lots of players attending the event stay there.  The only fair way to determine which server lives and which dies is based on activity.  Landy always seemed to have one of the bigger pops.  

And just wait to see what happens when non RP trolls get sent there.  I foresee turtles and avancs invading all the events!  

Its a giant shit sandwich and a lot of players are going to have to take a bite.  I can understand the animosity towards players who will not be forced to move or lose their housing hooks.  But thinking a single kin is the reason a server is being kept is foolish.  

"But thinking a single kin is the reason a server is being kept is foolish."

Not sure I suggested that. 

That's my experience. Do I want to go and roll a char on Landroval and get to know the rest of the kins? Not really? But when one sees events such as Weatherstock presented by Turbine as the only example of "roleplay" to get publicity when so much more happens on Laurelin then perhaps I do get rather annoyed with how that kin has behaved. But hey, let me know next time when my point of view is acceptable to you.

Your broad brushing of a server and all of the Kinships on that server makes your point of view on this subject moronic..

Wanna bash Turbine and or LMB, go right ahead I don't give a fuck, but you choose to drag the entire server into it, and from Irony and Spite to you, you're talking out your ass.

Edited by Spiteful