LOTROCommunity

Windows 10 question

Belechannas

For those who have installed Windows 10 beta, I have a question about the auto-update feature which apparently users have little to no ability to control, depending on the version.

I'm concerned about being in the middle of say, a raid, when Nvidia decides to push a new video driver version, and Windows decides to automatically install it without asking me (which it will).

Is there a way to avoid having your bandwidth hijacked like this while gaming?

Is there a way to avoid having your bandwidth hijacked like this while gaming?

Updates are delivered using the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, which keeps an eye on network usage in an effort to avoid disrupting your normal activities. This actual delivery of updates hasn't changed much in the past 10 years.

It seems like users will have less of a choice regarding which updates to install, but it's still not clear to me if we'll have a choice when to actually install them.

Did anyone get the upgrade today, and if so did everything go smoothly

So far, so good. I miss having a "Home" page when I open Edge. I probably just don't know how to set it up. Otherwise it seems fine and was smooth.

Did anyone get the upgrade today, and if so did everything go smoothly

Yup. I just have an off-the-shelf home computer, but the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 went smoothly, and only took about 15 minutes. (I don't have any unusual hardware or software on this computer, though.) So far, all of my games work fine.

I tried to force Windows Update to download and install, and it failed twice after doing the download (install wouldn't start).  After that, I used the download tool provided by Microsoft, and it was slow, but successful.

I have had a couple updates/apps that fail to install consistently, and lack any helpful error information to fix.

To set up a home page in Edge you click the three dots in the upper right corner, then choose Settings.

You'll see a setting near the top called "Open With". Click the bottom radio button that says "A specific page or pages"

Then in the dropdown menu, click "Custom".

Enter the URL of your homepage in the textbox, including the http://, and hit return.

Finally, delete the "about: start" created by Edge by clicking the "X" next to it, so your homepage is the only one remaining.

I miss that there is no setting to automatically switch to a tab when you open a page in new tab.  It is really dumb that they don't have that feature.

I am still a bit concerning about Windows Update hijacking 100% of my bandwidth with no way to tell it to pause some download.

More generally, the lack of control over Windows Update bothers me, because I would estimate that 95% of the problems I had with Windows 8 and 8.1 were due to Windows Update.

I strongly recommend using the "Create Media" option, as it will give you a better chance to avoid re-downloading everything if there's a problem (also helps if you have multiple PCs, of course).

Downloading again is not a big issue.  I will be making a full backup once I have everything up and running.

How to disable P2P updates in Windows 10

First, open the Start Menu and select Settings, then click Updates & Security.

win10 updates

Make sure Windows Update is selected in the left-hand navigation pane (it’s the default when you open Updates & Security) and then click Advanced Options in the main pane.

win10 updates dash

You’ll see a lot of options and checkboxes. Peruse them if you’d like, but for today’s task, you’ll want to click on Choose how updates are delivered.

win10 updates advanced options

Now you're on the page with the options that legislate how Windows 10 handles P2P updates. By default, Windows 10 will both send and receive updates from devices on your network and the Internet at large.

win10 updates p2p

It’s the latter option that’s the potential data cap destroyer. Using the options on this page, you can opt to only allow P2P updates among machines on your local network, or disable them completely and rely on Microsoft’s servers alone—just like the good ol’ days.

That troubleshooter won't prevent updates from being downloaded to your computer, so it does nothing to address my concern, unfortunately.

If you look in windows update settings you will see a drop down that has the options you want in it, however it will be greyed out and tell you something along the lines of only administrators can change these settings even if you are an administrator.

There's a workaround for this, Go to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update and change the setting in Configure Automatic Updates to Allow local admin to choose settings,

Group-Policy-Configure-Automatic-Updates

you can now go back to the windows update settings page and choose not to download updates.

Windows-Update-settings-local-admins-can

• Upvote 1

Very first impressions of Windows 10 and Edge (15 minutes after download) ... crisp and clean. I'm liking it.

I like Edge too. I've stopped using Chrome for some of the forums I used to use it for (like this one). Will consider dumping Chrome altogether in near future.

I like Edge too. I've stopped using Chrome for some of the forums I used to use it for (like this one). Will consider dumping Chrome altogether in near future.

How have you found Edge whilst using certain secure sites such as banking etc Ele?

Has it been able to display correctly?

you can now go back to the windows update settings page and choose not to download updates.

Thanks for the detailed instructions!

Edit: Unfortunately, they are for a 10-month old preview build, and don't work in the RTM version of Windows 10.

In particular, the Windows Update control panel applet no longer exists.  In some preview builds it was possible to restore it by a series of registry hacks.  Even these apparently no longer work.

Very first impressions of Windows 10 and Edge (15 minutes after download) ... crisp and clean. I'm liking it.

I think Edge is nowhere near ready for prime-time.

You cannot download a simple text file, or an mp3, or lots of other file types.  The "Save target as" option on the context menu is simply not there.  Also unavailable is the option to save the currently displayed page as a file.

To download a text file in Edge there are two options:

1) Hit Ctrl+A (select all), Copy, open Notepad, and Paste, or

2) Click the three dots in the upper right corner and then click "Open in Internet Explorer"

Also, on my machine, if I have a page open, and then I go into LotRO or WoW, when I tab back out the client area of the browser is completely blank and I have to refresh the page I was reading to see it.

Another annoyance, there is no option to automatically switch to the new tab when you use "Open in New Tab".  Do they think you are opening a page in a new tab because you DON'T want to read it?

Edited by Belechannas

How have you found Edge whilst using certain secure sites such as banking etc Ele?

Has it been able to display correctly?

I haven't used it a ton yet for my banking. So far it works great for what I use it for. I'll have to check out the tabbing issue mentioned above though.

The only issue I have had is my wireless mouse and keyboard didnt work to well in Windows 10.  The keys on the keyboard would randomly stick and the mouse would freeze every now and then.  They were both rather old which might have been a part of the issue.  A new set and everything ids fine :)

Not tried edge much, still like Chrome, but will give it a try as Chrome is a resource hog.

My online banking site, RBS, works fine in Edge, everything displays the same as in Chrome