LOTROCommunity

Windows 10 question

Well I am sure that Windows 10 is even better than Windows 8, which was better than Windows 7.  Yes W8 was/is better than W7, it was/is much more responsive, faster, more stable, and generally technically better.

What I hate though and what propably mean I won't uppgrade to W10 is this:

https://i.imgur.com/hYjx7rI.jpg

Edited by drul
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the part I don't like. US government strongarms these large computer/Internet companies into handing over too much information. They need to mind their own business.

How to disable P2P updates in Windows 10 First, open the Start Menu and select Settings, then click Updates & Security. Make sure Windows Update is selected in the left-hand navigation pane (i

Posted Images

Well I am sure that Windows 10 is even better than Windows 8, which was better than Windows 7.  Yes W8 was/is better than W7, it was/is much more responsive, faster, more stable, and generally technically better.

What I hate though and what propably mean I won't uppgrade to W10 is this:

https://i.imgur.com/hYjx7rI.jpg

Technically better, but not better, IMO, aesthetically, unless you made Win 8.1 look like 7. Face it, 8 and 8.1 is for touch screens period..

Technically better, but not better, IMO, aesthetically, unless you made Win 8.1 look like 7. Face it, 8 and 8.1 is for touch screens period..

I never liked Aero tbh so for me 7 did not look aescethically better. 

As for 'touch screen' stuff.  Well I wasn't using Start menu so I was not missing it.  I am not using W8 "Tiles" / Metro menu either. Like at all.

So for me personally for desktop usage W8 is superior to W7.  Only gripe I really had was that I had to think how to disable online account creation + use tricks how to enable quick launch toolbar.  But figuring those 2 things out > performance/technically inferior system.

For those worries about the Windows 10 tracking, you can turn it off.  It requires changes to registry keys.

I have not use this and can not guarantee that it is safe,  hopefully some of you more tech savvy people will be able to say if it is safe or not

If you are not comfy doing this yourself, there is a toll that has been created by a Reddit user

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases/tag/v1.5

here is what is changes

Windows 10 Tracking Disable Tool uses the following methods:

Telemetry

Set the "AllowTelemetry" string in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsDataCollection" to 0

DiagTrack LogWindows 10 Tracking Disable Tool

Clears and disables writing to the log located in "C:ProgramDataMicrosoftDiagnosisETLLogsAutoLogger"

ServicesWindows 10 Tracking Disable Tool Delete:

Remove both services

Disable: Set the "Start" registry key for both services to 4 (Disabled) Located at

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServices"

The creator plans to add more to the tool as and when they find anything else that can be use to track what you are doing.

There's a big stink kicking up about Win 10 now. A few points people are making (I can't verify this myself, so be aware this could be exaggeration):

- It sends all text you type anywhere (not just into search) every 30 minutes to MS. If you type about a holiday to your blog, next day youll see holiday ads.
- Every 30 minutes it sends your geolocation and network info
- If you type a telephone number into Edge it sends it to MS after 5 min
- If you type anywhere in windows a name of some movie, windows will start indexing all your media files after a while and will send it to MS after 30 minutes of your inactivity
- After installing W10, it will send about 35MB of data once
- After turning on your webcam for the first time it sends data to microsoft once. Probably your photo.
- Everything you say is transferred to MS, it works even if you disable and remove and uninstall cortana. Parts of Cortana are needed for the core of the OS to run. Confirmed by MS helpdesk. You can be identified by your voice anywhere near a microphone after they get enough data from you.
- Voice to text is transferred instantly
- Voice is transferred every 15 min, 80MB of data
- After 15 minutes of your inactivity or when screensaver is on, network activity ramps up and everything else is being sent to MS
- Blocking in hosts doesnt work, IPs are hardcoded into their code and DLLs

There's a big stink kicking up about Win 10 now. A few points people are making (I can't verify this myself, so be aware this could be exaggeration):

- It sends all text you type anywhere (not just into search) every 30 minutes to MS. If you type about a holiday to your blog, next day youll see holiday ads.
- If you type anywhere in windows a name of some movie, windows will start indexing all your media files after a while and will send it to MS after 30 minutes of your inactivity
- After turning on your webcam for the first time it sends data to microsoft once. Probably your photo.
- Everything you say is transferred to MS, it works even if you disable and remove and uninstall cortana. Parts of Cortana are needed for the core of the OS to run. Confirmed by MS helpdesk. You can be identified by your voice anywhere near a microphone after they get enough data from you.
- After 15 minutes of your inactivity or when screensaver is on, network activity ramps up and everything else is being sent to MS

When this old laptop dies, it looks like it's back to tabletop games for me!

They've tried to become Google, but at the OS level instead of Browser.

I think a lot of what they're doing is going to get them in some shit in the EU.  If these "features" continue after being turned off in settings, there's probably going to be some shit in the US as well.

So basically, Windows 10 will send everything you type, including identifying information, from your PC to it's servers. And then the US government and the NSA will have this information - since companies generally work with the NSA when requested. And the NSA intercepts and stores network information.

Win 10 also scans all your media files - every song and movie you have on your PC - and sends it to its servers. Which will give the US government and the MPAA information on any pirated media file on your PC.

On the phone issue - Apple's iphone does voice transcription very well, with the help of the cloud, but I don't think it stores your information.

Edited by nosam9

So basically, Windows 10 will send everything you type, including identifying information, from your PC to it's servers. And then the US government and the NSA will have this information - since companies generally work with the NSA when requested. And the NSA intercepts and stores network information.

Win 10 also scans all your media files - every song and movie you have on your PC - and sends it to its servers. Which will give the US government and the MPAA information on any pirated media file on your PC.

On the phone issue - Apple's iphone does voice transcription very well, with the help of the cloud, but I don't think it stores your information.

This is the part I don't like. US government strongarms these large computer/Internet companies into handing over too much information. They need to mind their own business.

• Upvote 2

As someone who works with this stuff daily, Microsoft has actually told the US government where to stick it and forced them to get a warrant on more than one occasion.  Especially when the datacenters are in other countries.

Again, it's no worse than what Google, Facebook, and the like do with your data, and often it's handled more securely than the competition.

You guys really need tinfoil hats, as this is getting beyond ludicrous.

You are so clueless. And yes, Microsoft is no different than other big tech companies. 

While some of the huge tech companies are tying to stop giving access to users data, almost all of the have given this data to the US government in the last few years.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Quotes:

Microsoft has collaborated closely with US intelligence services to allow users' communications to be intercepted, including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption.

The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide.

In July last year, nine months after Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA boasted that a new capability had tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism.

Material collected through Prism is routinely shared with the FBI and CIA.

All the major tech firms are lobbying the government to allow them to disclose more fully the extent and nature of their co-operation with the NSA to meet their customers' privacy concerns.

_________

So, yeah you basically missed this whole news story in the last 3 years and are basically clueless.

These companies gave the NSA direct access to their data on users:

The NSA claimed to have "direct access" through the Prism program to the systems of many major internet companies, including Microsoft, Skype, Apple, Google, Facebook and Yahoo.

So with Windows 10 you are giving the government complete access to what files are on your computer, your physical location every time you use that computer, and a lot of other information.

Edited by nosam9

Actually, no, I'm very familiar with Microsoft and the policies handling their customer data.

And in all of those cases, the US government went through the proper channels, or it was denied access.

That includes the NSA.

Edit:

And to reiterate, your claim is 100% false.  If you want to go through the tech and why things are being recorded, I'll do that.

But if all you want to do is spew lies about what Windows 10 is doing, then I have no time to waste on an idiot in a tin foil hat.

Is it tin foil hat stuff not to want the government to have access to private information? We've seen how they can target people based on political beliefs and I'd rather not have that happening.

Actually, no, I'm very familiar with Microsoft and the policies handling their customer data.

And in all of those cases, the US government went through the proper channels, or it was denied access.

That includes the NSA.

Edit:

And to reiterate, your claim is 100% false.  If you want to go through the tech and why things are being recorded, I'll do that.

But if all you want to do is spew lies about what Windows 10 is doing, then I have no time to waste on an idiot in a tin foil hat.

"Proper channels"   erm so what if they did it according to the law?  That is not what this is about.

I don't want Microsoft (or any other company) to record in any way what I type or otherwise do on my computer.  Simple as that.  I don't give a shit whether they do it according to laws or not.

"Proper channels"   erm so what if they did it according to the law?  That is not what this is about.

I don't want Microsoft (or any other company) to record in any way what I type or otherwise do on my computer.  Simple as that.  I don't give a shit whether they do it according to laws or not.

Speak for yourself what this is about. I certainly do care what the government gets its hands on. I'm less concerned about Google or MS since they can make their systems better for me.

Anything data that Microsoft collects can go to the US government. The US government can make a FISA request for any data Microsoft has, including email text and skype call audio. It doesn't matter to me if the government goes through proper channels to request that data. It matters that they have the power to ask for this private information on any person, and MS will automatically give it to them. There is no evidence of a single request by the government to MS or the other mega-tech companies for information that has been denied.

The problem with Windows 10 is it is collecting all of this extra information and sending it to Microsoft's servers. Windows 10 automatically scans your computer and sends details on every media file on your PC to Microsoft.

Every search you make in the Windows 10 search bar is sent to MS servers. Every URL link that you click on from an application is sent to MS. Win 10 periodically scans and sends data on all of the media files on your hard drive. Microsoft said this: for Cortana, Windows 10 "collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device".  Apple's Siri and Google also collect similar data.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/31/windows-10-microsoft-faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings.

Personally, I would rather use my computer without having all this information sent to Microsoft, especially knowing the government can request this data at any time and it will be given to them. There is no need for my operating system to send information about my location, my emails, the files on my hard drive, or my web history to Microsoft.

Anything data that Microsoft collects can go to the US government. The US government can make a FISA request for any data Microsoft has, including email text and skype call audio. It doesn't matter to me if the government goes through proper channels to request that data. It matters that they have the power to ask for this private information on any person, and MS will automatically give it to them. There is no evidence of a single request by the government to MS or the other mega-tech companies for information that has been denied.

The problem with Windows 10 is it is collecting all of this extra information and sending it to Microsoft's servers. Windows 10 automatically scans your computer and sends details on every media file on your PC to Microsoft.

Every search you make in the Windows 10 search bar is sent to MS servers. Every URL link that you click on from an application is sent to MS. Win 10 periodically scans and sends data on all of the media files on your hard drive. Microsoft said this: for Cortana, Windows 10 "collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device".  Apple's Siri and Google also collect similar data.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/31/windows-10-microsoft-faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings.

Personally, I would rather use my computer without having all this information sent to Microsoft, especially knowing the government can request this data at any time and it will be given to them. There is no need for my operating system to send information about my location, my emails, the files on my hard drive, or my web history to Microsoft.

Get rid of the BS FISA requests that get automatically approved and the problem (for me) goes away. The issue is the government getting this information because it can bully anyone with threats of lawsuits against them.

I couldn't give a crap what MS or Google or Apple do with this info (assuming they don't make it freely available) since they can't take me to court or harass me like the government can.

I'm afraid that getting angry at Windows 10 is blaming the wrong entity here.

I agree with Almagnus, and moreover, Microsoft isn't the only entity that could (theoretically) be subpoenaed for your information.

If you use a cell phone or a land line, the government can (by going through the same channels) record your conversations.

They can also (by going through the same channels) require your ISP to route every packet of your traffic to them.

For that matter, they could get a warrant and break into your home to install a keylogger on your computer.

In short, running Windows 8, or Linux, or OS X instead of Windows 10 isn't going to stop the government if they decide they want to know what you're doing on your computer.

Legal, rather than technical, protections are your only hope, unless you want to go full Osama: live in a windowless room inside a walled compound with armed guards, never use the phone or internet, etc. 

And even then, it will just take them a few more years to catch up with you...

In 2012, the US government went to the FISA court with 1,856 requests for data. 100% of them were approved.

So pretty much every single time the government wants data from a tech company, the FISA court approves it, and Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, etc. hand over that data.

In 2012, the US government went to the FISA court with 1,856 requests for data. 100% of them were approved.

So pretty much every single time the government wants data from a tech company, the FISA court approves it, and Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, etc. hand over that data.

Well, that fact by itself tells us little (except that, in a country of 320M people, it's not a very large number). 

The high approval rate could mean that most of the government's requests are backed up by reasonable suspicion.  I would be the last one to argue that the government is infallible, but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to suppose that (at least) a significant fraction of those requests are aimed at legitimate targets. 

If you do happen to be wrongly targeted, for absolutely no reason, I think it's rather naïve to hope that using Windows 8, Linux, or OS X is going to protect your privacy.  If you are worried at that level, burn every hard drive you've ever owned, dissolve the ashes in acid, and never login to a computer, connect to the internet, or pick up a phone again.

(For the record, I think a much more sensible concern is data compromise/identity theft by hackers, who do not even pretend to play by any rules like the government does, and I am pretty sure that several orders of magnitude more than 1,856 private accounts/identities were hacked in 2012...)

Still, ultimately there is no reason an operating system needs to send to a company my location, every person I contact, my emails, my browsing history, and the name of every media file on my computer. Windows 7 does not do this. If you are giving personal information to a company like Microsoft, it is naive to think that that information will always be private or secure.

I agree with a lot of Almagus's and other people's points here. But I just don't want Microsoft to collect personal information on me. They don't need to do this. And WIN 10 is absolutely collecting information on my location, my browsing history, and data on every media file on my PC.

On the FISA courts, I wanted to share the fact that 100% of requests were being approved, since people were saying if the government makes a request, the court might not approve it. This argument is wrong because almost every request was approved by FISA.

"Under current law, only the government is represented before the FISC, and there is no lawyer to advocate for those whose privacy rights are at risk. Unsurprisingly, the government has a better than a 99% success rate before the FISC."  (FISC being FISA court)
http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-judge-blasts-bill-to-revamp-surveillance-1407367365

About his bill to reform the FISA court rules, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy said “This is a debate about Americans’ fundamental relationship with their government – about whether our government should have the power to create massive databases of information about its citizens”.

The US government already has huge databases of information on US citizens. Anyone at the NSA can easily search and access this data on any person in the US. NSA employees have used this to look up information on their ex's new boyfriends, for example. All NSA staff have instant access to huge databases on every US citizen.

It is naive to think that all this information uploaded to Microsoft would be secure from the government. There is no guarantee that this information would be secure, and it absolutely can be identified with an individual. 

Through Prism, the NSA was collecting large amounts of information from Microsoft including emails. Microsoft gave the NSA pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com and Hotmail. With MS's help, the NSA stored huge amounts of Skype audio and video calls. All this was without any checks or involving the FISA courts.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

I can see Microsoft, Yahoo and other companies pushing back against this, but they have all provided personal, private information to the US government.

The high approval rate could mean that most of the government's requests are backed up by reasonable suspicion.  I would be the last one to argue that the government is infallible, but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to suppose that (at least) a significant fraction of those requests are aimed at legitimate targets. 

If you do happen to be wrongly targeted, for absolutely no reason, I think it's rather naïve to hope that using Windows 8, Linux, or OS X is going to protect your privacy. 

I agree with you, and I know a lot about ways to protect your identity and information online. I am in SF and there is a large movement here about online privacy. I have spoken to a lot of people about this.

I do think for most people it doesn't matter if all this information if collected on them. And I agree using Windows 8, Linux, or OS X will not protect your privacy.  But having your OS collect this additional information is significant. It is something new if the MPAA and other agencies suddenly know exactly what is on my hard drive. And WIN 10 is collecting a large amount of information, such as my browsing history, that they have no business collecting. Without WIN 10, no one is going to have that information about me.

Edited by nosam9

Ok, time to address this massive chunk of misinformation.

When information from your computer is sent to Microsoft (ex: Explorer.exe crashes, a procdump was captured of the process, compressed, and sent to Microsoft as part of their troubleshooting efforts) personally identifiable information is stripped out of the data prior to it being sent.  The intent with the data is to figure out what the users are doing in Windows, and if how they are using Windows measures up to the intended design, or if they have found a way to use Windows that is a horrible usability mess, and attempt to right that issue - because believe me when I say it, no one at Microsoft wants to endure another shell fiasco like Windows 8 again, and it's better to figure out how the userbase is using Windows (and not screw it up) rather than force an unproven design paradigm on everyone.

With realtime protection and automatic updates, the intent there is to resolve the issue of Windows getting compromised and becoming part of bot nets used for illegal activities.  What the news media generally fails to report on are a lot of the vigilante efforts Microsoft has taken to hunt down and destroy these bot nets, which means less spam for everyone else, and less DDoSs.  So part of these features are forcing people to install Windows Updates (which also simplifies the supportability matrix, as the existing one is basically a giant cluster), and also shipping an inbox antivirus product (Windows Defender), so all users are basically guaranteed to have a firewall, some level of antivirus protection, and be up to date.  When it comes to users like my parents, this is a good thing, as I don't have to ensure their computers are up to date when I visit, and can spend more time with them, and less time tending the computers.

Cortana has a concept called a "notebook", which it uses as part of it's speech parsing, which allows Cortana to figure out sentences like "what's the score for the game today?".  Cortana also needs to send the recorded voice fragment to Microsoft for parsing because cell phones generally do not have the storage, nor the processing power, to parse the voice fragment accurately and in a reasonable amount of time.  While voice clips may be retained to better improve speech recognition, personal information (username, phone number, etc) aren't.  Because Cortana is so heavily integrated into Windows 10, it also allows the search bar to do things like give you scores for teams like the Seattle Sounders, LA Dodgers, Seattle Seahawks, or Colorado Avalanche to your desktop as the game progresses, allowing you to track sports games at work - which is core Cortana functionality. Again, while handwriting samples may be retained (to improve handwriting recognition) the source isn't.  The upside to these design decisions is that you don't have to train Cortana to recognize your speech or chicken scratch, she just does.

The WiFi thing is the only real Windows 10 security concern that's actually valid.  Give it enough public backlash, and it will change.  The intent was to make it easier for devices that have a Microsoft login (Live, Xbox Live, Hotmail, Outlook, etc) connect to a WiFi network.  The actual implementation needs a bit of work.

For feedback, that's referring to the Windows error reports that have been getting sent to Microsoft for ages, to collect data on what blew up that took out Windows.  It gets used to help identify bugs within the Windows source code, and also give Microsoft leverage to go yell at driver manufacturers that did it wrong.  This may refers to the system event logs, which have been part of Windows since Windows NT - and are also present on every major modern operating system.

Telemetry option depends on the Windows build we're talking about (Insider vs Retail), but it's just usability information that does not have personally identifiable information present, again, so Microsoft doesn't screw up the shell.

The ad thing is intended to help with discoverability of relevant and useful apps from the store.  It's also a start tile, so it can be removed, or otherwise crippled.

Settings syncing to the cloud is nothing new (it's actually present in Windows 8), and allows you to use your Hotmail login, and have your settings transferred from one Windows box to another, so things just work, and work in the way you want them to work, rather than you having to spend an hour configuring a new laptop you just bought to be just right.

The cloud linking refers to the Live login services, which gives you a token from the Live login server, which also can be used to login to all of the Microsoft services, exactly the same way a Google login will log you into YouTube, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Maps, etc.  One happens to work with a bunch of websites, the other works with a  bunch of local programs, but function nearly the same way.  If you're gonna throw stones at Microsoft to this, also do it for Google as well.

For the key logging, all that is used for is if you do something like press Control + T and crash Edge, Microsoft needs to know what the keystrokes were before it crashed.  For fields (like the password field), the information is not recorded.

When you have a product as complex as an operating system, you need the telemetry of what the users are doing in order to figure out what users are doing, and where the pain points in the user experience are.  This is actually no different than what most game companies do with their games, the only difference is that Microsoft is actually being transparent about it.

Well, that fact by itself tells us little (except that, in a country of 320M people, it's not a very large number). 

If you do happen to be wrongly targeted, for absolutely no reason, I think it's rather naïve to hope that using Windows 8, Linux, or OS X is going to protect your privacy.  If you are worried at that level, burn every hard drive you've ever owned, dissolve the ashes in acid, and never login to a computer, connect to the internet, or pick up a phone again.

(For the record, I think a much more sensible concern is data compromise/identity theft by hackers, who do not even pretend to play by any rules like the government does, and I am pretty sure that several orders of magnitude more than 1,856 private accounts/identities were hacked in 2012...)

Thank you both so much for taking the time to write this, I feel..  informed!

It is up to the people to tell Governments enough is enough, not leave it to Microsoft Apple Google  etc. It is laughable that the lazy majority and willingly ignorant are happy to leave the defence of  their personal security to large conglomerates of highly questionable national loyalty.

The big company in cahoots with big government crap is tiring. It is your supposed democratically elected government. If your Government and the Company are too big, it means your democracy is too small. 

Do something about it other than blame fucking Microsoft.

The Internet is the greatest gift to Government agencies ever.. and it is the gift that keeps giving. If you have a small kernel of thought that says internet is the great human liberator, you would be wrong. The Internet is a convenience, and with that convenience is a large cost.

I have decided to get over it and use Cloud. It is amazingly convenient and I hate using lap tops. Lugging the heavy fuckers around is annoying. Cloud allows me to dispose of the laptop. Stationary, powerful and comfortably set up Desktops and amazingly versatile tablets for me. Apart from certain documents I continually work on, or the latest books I am reading, I have a segment of the nastiest Gay porn clip I can find in my cloud. You want to spy on my stuff, read what I am reading and have a look at my documents... by all means, watch my nasty assed porn clip  too ...  enjoy motherfucker :) !

CrankyCat

• Upvote 1

Microsoft isn't as cozy with the government, ...

And there's no way in hell Microsoft is going to do something like design in a back door for the US government to take advantage of ...

It is interesting you are not debating what is brought up here, but other things you have heard in the general media. No one said anything about a back door except you.

Honestly, I can tell from your responses you haven't actually researched the new features of Win 10 and what information it is collecting and sending back to it's servers. You are talking in general about other features.

You also keep telling us Microsoft has not worked with the US government, but there is clear indisputable evidence that they worked closely with the US government to give it access to information and help it's antiterrorism efforts. Just like many other big companies have done.

You keep stating your general beliefs, but are not actually looking at any of the evidence that MS worked closely with the US government.

This is an example of Microsoft giving the NSA access to skype calls:

"in July of 2011, the NSA added the capability of capturing peer-to-peer Skype communications—meaning that the NSA gained the ability to capture peer-to-peer traffic and decrypt it using keys provided by Microsoft through the PRISM warrant request."
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/newly-published-nsa-documents-show-agency-could-grab-all-skype-traffic/

"the [NSA] agency had full access to voice, video, text messaging, and file sharing from targeted individuals over Microsoft’s Skype service. "

"Microsoft has collaborated closely with US intelligence services to allow users' communications to be intercepted, including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption"

"Microsoft has allowed the NSA access to all of the company's flagship services, including Hotmail, Outlook.com, SkyDrive and Skype. In the case of Outlook.com, the files reveal that the NSA expressed concerns about intercepting encrypted chats during the testing of the new platform last year. Microsoft worked with the FBI to find a solution that would allow the NSA to unlock the encryption."

It is pretty clear Microsoft worked closely with these agencies to give them access. Microsoft's only statement or defense to date is that this did not give blanked access to data. They never have denied working closely with the NSA anf FBI on this.

"Microsoft has released a statement to theGuardian claiming it was legally forced to comply with requests from the NSA, but denying that it would ever agree to a blanket order demanding wide ranging access to user data."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/12/microsoft-nsa-collusion

• 1 month later...

Better raise the fucking dead, just so I can hate on Windows 10.

I don't even have this shit. I'm sticking with Win 7 because it does the job without pushing this whole spying/advertising as much. But fuck me do Microsoft want me to abandon this shit too and pick a different OS.

Every now and then I log on and find a stupid little icon down on the task bar telling me to upgrade to Windows 10. The first time, I thought it was a little expectant of Microsoft, but hey I can just get rid. I delete and hide the update. A little bit later, it happens again. Update was hidden, so what the fuck? Looks like it's the exact same update number but they've re-packaged it or some shit to get around my choice to hide it from ever installing. Delete and hide again. But again it pops back up a few days later, all proud of itself. Fuck you, little Win 10 icon, you die again!

I didn't mention this before because I thought I'd finally gotten rid of it for good. But now, fucking weeks if not months later, THAT SHIT IS BACK. The exact same fucking number when I went and found it, only this time they've named it something like 'upgrade to Windows 10'. Seriously, they just won't fucking quit. I can't even escape Windows 10 by not using it.

Better raise the fucking dead, just so I can hate on Windows 10.

I don't even have this shit. I'm sticking with Win 7 because it does the job without pushing this whole spying/advertising as much. But fuck me do Microsoft want me to abandon this shit too and pick a different OS.

Every now and then I log on and find a stupid little icon down on the task bar telling me to upgrade to Windows 10. The first time, I thought it was a little expectant of Microsoft, but hey I can just get rid. I delete and hide the update. A little bit later, it happens again. Update was hidden, so what the fuck? Looks like it's the exact same update number but they've re-packaged it or some shit to get around my choice to hide it from ever installing. Delete and hide again. But again it pops back up a few days later, all proud of itself. Fuck you, little Win 10 icon, you die again!

I didn't mention this before because I thought I'd finally gotten rid of it for good. But now, fucking weeks if not months later, THAT SHIT IS BACK. The exact same fucking number when I went and found it, only this time they've named it something like 'upgrade to Windows 10'. Seriously, they just won't fucking quit. I can't even escape Windows 10 by not using it.

Try uninstalling the updates that keep prompting you to upgrade to Windows 10

1. Tap on the Windows-key on the keyboard, type programs and features, and hit enter. This opens the list of software installed on the system.
  2. Switch to "view installed updates" on the left side of the window.
  3. If you are using Windows 7, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2952664, 3021917
  4. If you are using Windows 8, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2976978
  5. Right-click one update after the other and select uninstall from the context menu.
  6. Select Restart Later when the prompt appears and remove all updates first from the system.
  7. Once done, restart the computer to complete the process.

Now block those update from being installed in the future

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type Windows Update, and hit enter.
  2. This should open the Windows Update dialog.
  3. Select "check for updates" to find new updates to install on the system. Windows should find the updates listed above again.
  4. Click on the "important update is available" link.
  5. Right-click each of the listed updates above that are listed on the page and select hide update from the context menu.
  6. This blocks the update from being installed on the system.