LOTROCommunity
Belechannas

Next WoW expansion TBA August 6...

About the comment section on that thread.  The real wow players used 3rd  party site much like this one to post.  Tankspot, Icy Veins, Elitestjerks,etc.  The official site is full of trolls and no one has ever controlled it.  

Also the folks complaining about paying for another expansion are idiots.  The expansion they are announcing isn't coming out next week.  Blizzard has always announced expansions at minimum a year before release.  So the current xpac is going to keep getting updates while they work on the new one.  

The thread is just a bunch of players looking for things to complain about.  Complaining about the amount of content before all of it is released in wow is stupid.    Every 3 to 4 months in a wow xpac they release new daily quests and group content and the current xpac is very fresh.  

'Get those wallets out, guys! It's time to shell out $70 for another expansion that will only have 5 dungeons, 2 raids, and 1 content patch!'

Kids these days don't know they're born. When I played LotRO, we had to grind 18 hours a day on one broken raid if we were lucky!!

Well then I guess blizzard needs to step it up.  My last xpac purchase with blizzard had a ton more content than what is listed.  3 multiboss raid and 4 or 5 lair bosses.   

Well then I guess blizzard needs to step it up.  My last xpac purchase with blizzard had a ton more content than what is listed.  3 multiboss raid and 4 or 5 lair bosses.   

The opposite is happening. 

The change over to Wow token, a soft version of F2P (Using in game currency to purchase game time from subscribers - similar to EVE) is a part of this as well.

WoW is practically going the way of LOTRO since F2P..... More money for less content.... Actually I'm staggered at how poor an expansion WoD has been in terms of content delivered. If you compare the development budgets of the two games Turbine have actually done a decent job; or Blizzard have just been horribly inefficient one. 

Edited by bhoris

Well.

For the last two expansions, people complained (justifiably) that there was too much time between the last content patch and the next expansion.  They vowed to fix that after Cata, and didn't; it was 13 months between the last raid of MoP and the release of Warlords.

They admitted that they fucked up, and swore that THIS time, it would not happen again, and it appears they are going to try to make good on that.

My impression, and the impression of the people I play with, is that the quality of Warlords content has been generally good.  I would probably put it a little behind Mists, just because Pandaria had a charm that Warlords lacks, and the story in Warlords has not really lived up to its promise.  But the raids (which are what I play for) are at least as good.  Blizzard also did major revamps on all the classes, and avoided the sort of backlash that Turbine brought upon themselves in HD.

6.0 was a good xpac, and people generally liked garrisons. The two raids were released over a period of two months, and were very well-liked (among the people I raided with).  Together there were (IIRC) 7 dungeons and two raids with a total of 17 raid bosses.

6.1 should not have been numbered as a major patch, because it was content-free (the second 6.0 raid had only opened a couple weeks before, so it's not like fresh content was lacking) and was mainly a few odds and ends that didn't make it into 6.0.

6.2 (released 4-5 weeks ago) had a new raid (13 bosses), a new zone and several new features.  All are generally well-liked as far as I can tell.

The last two expansions (the ones I've been around for) have had three raid tiers instead of two, which stretched out the expansions to around two years.  I don't know anyone who didn't think Cata and MoP were dragged out too long.  That final raid of Cata was not very popular, while the final raid of MoP was better.  This time, they've decided to wrap things up with the second tier, which I think is fine.

It will be interesting to see what the target for release is, though. 

6.0 was a good xpac, and people generally liked garrisons. 

I mostly agree with everything you wrote. Some players liked garrisons initially and then really disliked them because of the facebook game aspect of logging in just to do small tasks. This was me, liked then got sick of garrisons.

Blizzard makes most of their stuff quite high quality. Some of it is better and worse, but they always give you a lot for the price of an expansion. With WoW you are paying a lot - sub and expac costs - but you are getting a very high quality product. The netcode and launcher in WoW work amazingly well. Think if Lotro PvMP and the rest of the game were coded as well as WoW. Can you imagine Lotro and PvMP with almost no lag? Of course, Blizzard could spend the money needed to code everything right. 

In WoD, the leveling zones were really nice and IMO put a lot of other MMOs to shame. Ashran was entertaining too as a casual player. I think they screwed up several pieces of WoD but still it is a lot of new content - just maybe not as much as MOP. Timeless Isle was a very cool idea too, IMO.

Edited by nosam9

Well that's a lot more content than the wow forums moaners made it sound.  Gaps between content weren't that bad during WOtLK and Cata.  6 months between sunwell and lich King release.

And after that I stopped playing.  Ironically the class changes drove me away.  And it appears they got even more cookie cutter after cataclysm.  I also wasn't looking forward to questing in a revamped azeroth.

All these games dumb down their gameplay to cater to a broader audience.  Fucking stop it.  They had 9 million subs.  That was just getting greedy.  I alas can not go back.  I deleted every room I had.  13 level 80s straight deleted so no hacker could get my stuff.  Best decision I ever made.  

Blizzard overpromised and cancelled some content in WoD AFAIK. They screwed this expansion up in this regard. Also, I think the endgame content (stuff to do after leveling to cap) was smaller than other WoW expansions.

Also, I do think garrisons are cool but ultimately flawed. They didn't get it right. Ashran (the new PvP zone) is also flawed and worse than Timeless Isle IMO.

The only content "cancelled" from WoD as far as I'm aware was one little island off the coast that they mentioned doing something with at Blizzcon (over a year before release), and then decided not to.  They also changed the garrison concept from being able to put them in different zones to having a single location for each faction.

I also don't buy the "dumbed down" business.  It was before my time, but apparently there's a subset of players who believed that finding ways to break the talent trees was "skill" and that working from the same baseline set of abilities somehow makes everyone equal.  LOL. 

The current reality is that every spec in WoW is *heavily* skill-capped, even at the highest levels of play. What the best players in the world can do is far beyond even what the top 1-2% can do.  To the extent there has been any adjustment, it has been to make the average player capable of performing adequately (for the lowest difficulty levels) without having to min/max everything like a hard-core progression raider.  In other words, they may have brought the floor up, but that in no way means that the ceiling (optimum performance) is easier to reach.

There is a character undelete service, by the way.

• Upvote 1

I also don't buy the "dumbed down" business.  It was before my time, but apparently there's a subset of players who believed that finding ways to break the talent trees was "skill" and that working from the same baseline set of abilities somehow makes everyone equal.  LOL. 

The current reality is that every spec in WoW is *heavily* skill-capped, even at the highest levels of play. What the best players in the world can do is far beyond even what the top 1-2% can do.  To the extent there has been any adjustment, it has been to make the average player capable of performing adequately (for the lowest difficulty levels) without having to min/max everything like a hard-core progression raider.  In other words, they may have brought the floor up, but that in no way means that the ceiling (optimum performance) is easier to reach.

There is a character undelete service, by the way.

Youre right it was before your time so you would not understand.  That is if you pkayed after WoTLk.  No one tried to "break" the skill trees.  It was about having unique specs for different situations.  Need faster interrupts?  Need more survivability?  Stronger Dps?  Need to do some off tanking without the loss of Dps?  

Really nothing to do with being a Dps whore.  I had 3 tanking specs for hard mode ICC that were all unique.  2 different heal specs on my shaman.  1 heal spec where I could solo heal regular ICC 10 man.  

You can laugh at me all you want I only stated that was the reason for my departure.  And I can laugh at people who thought someone was breaking the skill trees lol.  

I'd never go back even with an instant level 90 since Rift offers us the skill tree WOW canceled 5 years ago.

Edit:  I was not a mlg pro raider.  I was a guy who raided on Saturday for like 4-6 hours.  But the changes made our characters unrecognizable.  Imagine the Lotro skill changes, that drastic.  All of the things I loved in the game the damn tree was near the top.  

Edited by Thequinn

[...]  1 heal spec where I could solo heal regular ICC 10 man.  

And yet you still can't understand why that was a problem?  LOL.

Even RIFT has abandoned their trees as a mechanism for advancement going forward, the obvious problem being that they are unstable.  In other words, there may be no broken builds with 76 skill points, but if you had 81 (because you gained 5 more levels), it becomes a joke (like solo-healing ICC).

Designing content that can accommodate people having 2/3's of a dps spec and 1/3 of a healing spec, or 2/3 of a tank spec and 1/3 of a dps spec, or whatever is asking the impossible.  There are a finite number of designers and testing resources for content, but an effectively infinite number of players able to come up with crazy builds that break it.

And yet you still can't understand why that was a problem?  LOL.

Even RIFT has abandoned their trees as a mechanism for advancement going forward, the obvious problem being that they are unstable.  In other words, there may be no broken builds with 76 skill points, but if you had 81 (because you gained 5 more levels), it becomes a joke (like solo-healing ICC).

Designing content that can accommodate people having 2/3's of a dps spec and 1/3 of a healing spec, or 2/3 of a tank spec and 1/3 of a dps spec, or whatever is asking the impossible.  There are a finite number of designers and testing resources for content, but an effectively infinite number of players able to come up with crazy builds that break it.

It wasn't the tree but a single skill.   Chain healing.  There was a glyph that allowed the spell to work on additional targets.  That was a problem with the glyph.  And i was severely overgeared for the instance.  I played the game for 5 years and it was the only time I felt op with any of the classes I played.  

You may think I'm stupid. That's fine but I'm done trying to prove my point.  Really no sense in arguing with someone who was around for those times but not your fault.  Lots of people stayed so it was more about personal preference and opinion.  You're allowed to have yours.

And Rift only changed its tree from 61-65.  So not as drastic as being forced to spend 50 points in a single tree before checking out the other trees

Edited by Thequinn

Plural?

I had 2 before multispec.  

One for pvp one for pve.

Also had 2 pallies for same reasons

Changing spec on the fly back then was not easy.

I'm just going to say that I'll probably buy and play the next WoW expansion. Warlords was really entertaining and highly polished. I enjoyed the raids a lot more than I did the ones in Pandaland. There were some moves on Blizzard's part I wasn't too happy with, but I think they're a company that's able to learn from their screw ups. Just look at Diablo 3. Though, I will of course reserve my final opinion for when the expansion is out and I won't preorder it. Just in case I'm wrong.

I had 2 before multispec.  

One for pvp one for pve.

Also had 2 pallies for same reasons

Changing spec on the fly back then was not easy.

So it was easier just to level up a whole new character than swap specs?! Jeez, that system must have been painful.

So it was easier just to level up a whole new character than swap specs?! Jeez, that system must have been painful.

there was a thing called twinks where you would stop leveling a toon at level 19, 29, 39, 49 etc.  So basically at the top of the bracket.  Then you would go in and destroy the folks with regular gear or have some decent 1 on 1's with other twinks.  

II never said they were max level toons.  But yes my multiple max level toons of the same class were to save on reapplying glyphs etc.

Edited by Thequinn

Kind of a sad juxtaposition:

WoW's big announcement next week will be the start of (probably mostly justified) hype for a new expansion, with dozens of new raid bosses, maybe a new class or race, other cool new stuff, etc.

LotRO's eagerly awaited announcement will be: which 1/3 of the servers will keep running.

• Upvote 1

there was a thing called twinks where you would stop leveling a toon at level 19, 29, 39, 49 etc.  So basically at the top of the bracket.  Then you would go in and destroy the folks with regular gear or have some decent 1 on 1's with other twinks. 

twinking is just a fun, different and interesting way to play PvP. For most people, it is not about ganking less geared characters. For many years now, you cannot play on a twink against regular players. Blizzard put anyone with frozen XP in a separate XP-off queue for Battlegrounds, so it is impossible to stay at a level as a twink and fight against leveling characters.