LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
cossieuk

Dr Who

I have been rewatching Dr Who recently and it got me wondering who else here loves the show?  Foe me it is just a fun entertaining show that you never know where it will go next.  You could be in the past with Shakespeare fighting witches, or on a spaceship with dinosaurs.  I also like how the show can be funny, scary and tragic all in the space of a few minutes.

Who is your favourite Doctor?  For me it is David Tennant, but I have a soft spot for Sylvester McCoy as he was the first Doctor I remember.   David Tennant just seemed to capture the spirit of the character from the off, perhaps in part due to his love of the show as a kid, as was quirky, thoughtful and intense.  He worked will with the other characters in the show.

Who is your favourite villain?  For me it is the Master, played by John Simm, He was fantastic.  He was every bit as smart as the Doctor, and for me is what the Doctor would become if he wasnt around his companions.  A close second in the Weeping Angels who are just an epic invention.

this may sound strange, but while i think David Tennant was a better Doctor, Matt Smith and the girl who waited made me fall in love with the show. 

how do you feel about Peter Capaldi? i made the mistake of watching In the Thick of It before i say him on Doctor Who--big mistake, all i can hear is Malcom LOL 

great show though, looking forward to the new season.

Edited by Papi

For me, David Tennant was too melodramatic and over-the-top. I know people were crazy about him though.

I loved Matt Smith and his whole crew. I thought that Rory's dad, or the character James Corden played, would've been fun companions for a while too.  I haven't seen any of Capaldi's episodes, though I just got an email that they're on Netflix now so I may check them out.  

For me, David Tennant was too melodramatic and over-the-top. I know people were crazy about him though.

I loved Matt Smith and his whole crew. I thought that Rory's dad, or the character James Corden played, would've been fun companions for a while too.  I haven't seen any of Capaldi's episodes, though I just got an email that they're on Netflix now so I may check them out.  

Peter Capaldi is good as the doctor, very different from anything seen in recent years.  He is more grumpy than before but in a funny way.  Also since he has appeared in Dr Who before, in the episode at Pompeii,  he even mentions his face looking familiar.  He was also in Torchwood. 

I'm not a big Dr. Who fan. only one I actually watched with any interest was Tom Baker.

Speaking of campy, British sci-fi, anyone remember a show called Space: 1999?

Also, if Arya Stark is going to be on Dr. Who I may just have to start watching it.

Edited by Spidey

Speaking of campy, British sci-fi, anyone remember a show called Space: 1999?

Also, if Arya Stark is going to be on Dr. Who I may just have to start watching it.

Was that the one set on the moon that was knocked out of Earth's orbit.  If so I kind of remember it. 

Yeah Maisie Williams is just great.  You should look out for the TV film Cyberbully that she did.

Was that the one set on the moon that was knocked out of Earth's orbit.  If so I kind of remember it. 

Yeah Maisie Williams is just great.  You should look out for the TV film Cyberbully that she did.

That sounds familiar, and I will look for that film.

Yep, that is it, we're showing our age ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072564/

Edited by Spidey

My first exposure to Dr Who was when the Peter Davison and Colin Baker episodes played on my local PBS affiliate way back in the early 90's. I'm an odd sort of Who fan, since I actually liked the US Dr Who movie and thought Christopher Eccleston was great. Never did care for any of the Nu Who compaions until Amy Pond came along, although Donna was ok.

I like Peter Capaldi. He brings a certain air of sophistication and arrogance. Kinda reminds me of Colin Baker a bit. I'm sad that know a few former fans who stopped watching because they thought Peter was "too old and mean" to play The Doctor :(

My first exposure to Dr Who was when the Peter Davison and Colin Baker episodes played on my local PBS affiliate way back in the early 90's. I'm an odd sort of Who fan, since I actually liked the US Dr Who movie and thought Christopher Eccleston was great. Never did care for any of the Nu Who compaions until Amy Pond came along, although Donna was ok.

I like Peter Capaldi. He brings a certain air of sophistication and arrogance. Kinda reminds me of Colin Baker a bit. I'm sad that know a few former fans who stopped watching because they thought Peter was "too old and mean" to play The Doctor :(

I thought Eccleston was great too, that's probably why I never warmed up to Tennant.  I will give the Capaldi episodes a try, just to see what he brings to the part.

My favourite is David Tennant. I was a huge fan of the show during his tenure. Now I watch Doctor Who and just find it okay, but often infuriating. I just don't think the team that took over when Matt Smith arrived are as good. The stories and characterisation are poor and there is no respect for the audience.

One week time travel will work one way and then another a different way. It is too inconsistent. With Tennant's Doctor we knew the rules of how time travel worked in the universe of the show and that added tension to the show. With Matt Smith and Capaldi not just the rules are changed to accommodate the story, characters too.

For instance, Clara has met every incarnation of the Doctor. Out of all his compaions she is the one who truly gets that with each regeneration he will completely change, yet when Capaldi's Doctor comes along, she can't cope because he is old?! It's poor writing. He wanted to address apprehensive fans worried about whether they could accept an older Doctor, so he altered Clara's personality to have her initially not able to accept Capaldi, but then realise that although he is an old man, and different, he is still the Doctor, no matter how inconsistent it was with her established personality. I find it galling.

A good writer works within the established rules and has his characters remain consistent.

I also think the new team are too full of themselves and think they are clever when often their stories make no sense whatsoever.

Why did River have come out of the lake in an astronauts suit to kill the Doctor? Not for any logical story purpose, they just thought it would look cool. The show is now all style over substance.

I liked Matt Smith and like Capaldi, I just wish they had a better team behind them. Clara's personality changes from week to week, and I found Amy unconvincing, unlikable and cold. Was it ever even explained how Rory was still alive? He was killed and then erased from the universe by the crack. When Amy restored the universe, he should've been restored as a dead body where he died, not alive.

I also did not think the Christmas Carol episode fitted within the show. The Scrooge character kept getting new memories, and was aware that he was having new memories, as the Doctor went back in this timeline to change his past. Time has never worked that way in the show before. If you've met the Doctor in the past, even though he has not met you yet in his timeline, when the Doctor first meets you, you remember meeting the Doctor even though the Doctor has not yet gone back in time to your past. No one gets new memories. It worked that way in that episode because the writer wanted to do a Christmas Carol story. When the rules can be changed at any time, you lose respect for a show and there is no tension.

I know people say Doctor Who has never stuck to continuity, but that was in the past. Modern viewers are more sophisticated, and modern times are different. In the past you could not rewatch episodes over and over as you can today so continuity was not so important as the majority probably would not remember. But with modern audiences we can rewatch older episodes whenever we want, people discuss shows on the Internet, therefore continuity should be respected as the viewer will notice if it is not.

Then there was the whole thing where River refuses to kill the Doctor at the fixed point in time, which causes the universe to collapse. If they physically touch each other in the collapsed universe, it will restore everything back to that point. Yet they never touch.

The Doctor was secretly miniaturised inside the teleselecta robot which looked physically like him. River touched the robot, not The Doctor. When asked how this restored the universe, River touching a robot with a tiny Doctor inside, not the Doctor himself, the writer says it worked because the robot was just like wearing clothes! It's stupid! It's a metal robot! By that logic the actual Doctor could've been sitting in car and River could just touch the car roof to restore the universe. It insults the audience.

Edited by Mallorn
  • Upvote 1

I also think the new team are too full of themselves and think they are clever when often their stories make no sense whatsoever.

Why did River have come out of the lake in an astronauts suit to kill the Doctor? Not for any logical story purpose, they just thought it would look cool. The show is now all style over substance.

I totally agree.  I think that's also part of the reason that I didn't make an effort to watch after Matt Smith left. 

That sounds familiar, and I will look for that film.

Yep, that is it, we're showing our age ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072564/

I only remember the repeats as it finished before I was born.  Also my dad used to answer the phone by saying Hello, Moonbase Alpha.  He thought it was funny, but he was wrong.

I totally agree.  I think that's also part of the reason that I didn't make an effort to watch after Matt Smith left. 

I know quite a few people who loved Ecclestone and Tennant, but gave up with Matt Smith as they found the stories boring and confusing. I'm hoping they get new writers for the show soon.

The last Christmas special, Warspeech had The Doctor meeting Father Christmas who was a sarcastic, wise cracking, short tempered man. It was explained at the end of the episode, that The Doctor and others were trapped in a dream and their collective consciousnesses, all knowing Father Christmas, added him to the dream so that he could help them. 

Fair enough. But why would he be wise cracking and dead pan? That is not the stereotype of his character. If he was created from the trapped people's mind, he'd be a jolly old man, as that is what everyone knows him as. 

He was portrayed as this sarcastic, one liner character because that is all the writer can do. All of his character's are just walking wit with no real depth. 

Sorry for the rant. I loved the show and they've ruined it for me.

Edited by Mallorn

I must say Stephen Moffitt is not as good as Russell T Davies with the story lines, but I loved the whole River Song story arc.  The fact that she and the Doctor travel the opposite way through time, so the fist time he meets her is the end of her life and each time after that he knows her a little more and she knows him a little less.  I dont think I have ever seen any other show with time travel do that.  When you go back and watch the older episodes knowing what is to come it adds more weight to them.  When River gives her life for the Doctor it doesnt mean that much as we have only met the character and even though she knows the Doctor the is no attachment for the viewer but now you can look back at the character and see what she means to the Doctor.

I also liked Christopher Ecclestone, every time he did that full face grin it cracked me up.

Doctor-Who-ep-01-christopher-eccleston-2

Edited by cossieuk
  • Upvote 1

I must say Stephen Moffitt is not as good as Russell T Davies with the story lines, but I loved the whole River Song story arc.  The fact that she and the Doctor travel the opposite way through time, so the fist time he meets her is the end of her life and each time after that he knows her a little more and she knows him a little less.  I dont think I have ever seen any other show with time travel do that.  When you go back and watch the older episodes knowing what is to come it adds more weight to them.  When River gives her life for the Doctor it doesnt mean that much as we have only met the character and even though she knows the Doctor the is no attachment for the viewer but now you can look back at the character and see what she means to the Doctor.

Definitely, that was a great idea and so clever.

I think Moffat stories in the Davies era were amazing. I just don't rate him as a show runner.

I've recently been rewatching the Ecclestone and Tennant era and have been gripped.

Edited by Mallorn

Definitely, that was a great idea and so clever.

I think Moffat stories in the Davies era were amazing. I just don't rate him as a show runner.

Sometimes he tries to make them too clever that it just doesnt work.  Doctor Who works well with simple stories told well.

Also I have to say how good was Wilfred (Bernard Cribbins) him and Tennant together was so much fun, and so sad at the end.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes he tries to make them too clever that it just doesnt work.  Doctor Who works well with simple stories told well.

Also I have to say how good was Wilfred (Bernard Cribbins) him and Tennant together was so much fun, and so sad at the end.

Oh I know!

It was gutting. I loved how The Doctor visited his friends one last time. I also thought it was wonderful to have an old man as a main character and companion. 

Me and the other half have been watching them again, too. Just finished Ecclestones season and starting Tennants. I never watched them as a kid. They were a bit before my time. I can see the charm of them but I'm just not as hooked by them as the newer ones. The revival really won me over.

Ecclestone, not really the sort that feels like the Doctor to me (probably because he was more like the Warrior, what with him being the regeneration immediately after the Time War, so he gets a pass in hindsight), but it was a decent establishment season. I much preferred the relationship between Doctor and companion with him, where it was more like 'I'm ya dad, I've got a leather jacket, everything will be alright'.

But he had good companions. Rose was surprisingly good, despite being a chav. They made her stupid enough to make explanations necessary but then worked her up to a level where she held her own. Adam, well he was shite. Two episodes and only one where he was a companion, I wonder why they even bothered with him. And Captain Jack. Absolute genius move. Bring in a guy to balance out the Doctor's unwillingness to use weapons, and made him camp to contrast against the Doctor.

Tennant, well he's a good Doctor for his age. He'd go from moments of quirky joviality to deadly seriousness in an instant, but they over did the whole sexuality of it all. He was copping off with people left, right and centre. I didn't like the Rose/Doctor romance. It brought him down from the level of genius, unpredictable alien to an equal of a gobby Londoner. His exit was by far the best. That old bastard Cribbins had me in tears.

Again, Rose was good but the love story got too much. Martha was absolutely useless and we're thinking of just skipping her episodes up until the Master appears. Donna was alright but just looking at Catherine Tate makes you think she's going to crack a joke any minute. Kept the Doctor on his toes but not much else.

Smith, I've got to say was probably my favourite. Not for story lines, they were pretty poor (they went for fairytales, but it just came out as cheesy), but for how he played it. I'd forget that I was looking at someone in their 20s, and he made the Doctor feel old and wise (like he should be at over 1,200 years) but still kept up the soft side with the companions. His lack of ability to understand various human things was brilliant, too. Almost autistic, which made him feel like he was thinking differently to everyone else in the room. But then they wasted it all with an ending as bad as the one they picked. Literally left him to rot on some pointless planet, then deus ex machina with the regeneration.

Amy Pond was pretty good. Feisty and a pain but alright. Worked better when she was the duo with Rory (he waited 2,000 years for her or something?!). River Song could have worked, but they had her played by someone on the wrong side of middle-aged. It just felt creepy. But on swiftly to my pet peeve: Clara. Dear fucking lord, I despise this one so much. Everything about her is annoying. Her expressions are annoying, her attempts at independence that just turn out to be her making more mistakes, her flat personality, even her delivery of lines. I just can't stand her, so 7 or so episodes of Smith's Doctor won't be revisted this time around.

Capaldi, well I just don't like him as the Doctor. He's got a clever side and a bit of a harsh streak, but he didn't bring much else. Add in that his story lines were so tedious it hurts, I've just not bothered much with his series. Not to mention he's got Clara still.

That'll do for my wall o' text.

• Upvote 1

"He will knock four times" yeah, that one was a heartbreaker.

Me and the other half have been watching them again, too. Just finished Ecclestones season and starting Tennants. I never watched them as a kid. They were a bit before my time. I can see the charm of them but I'm just not as hooked by them as the newer ones. The revival really won me over.

Ecclestone, not really the sort that feels like the Doctor to me (probably because he was more like the Warrior, what with him being the regeneration immediately after the Time War, so he gets a pass in hindsight), but it was a decent establishment season. I much preferred the relationship between Doctor and companion with him, where it was more like 'I'm ya dad, I've got a leather jacket, everything will be alright'.

But he had good companions. Rose was surprisingly good, despite being a chav. They made her stupid enough to make explanations necessary but then worked her up to a level where she held her own. Adam, well he was shite. Two episodes and only one where he was a companion, I wonder why they even bothered with him. And Captain Jack. Absolute genius move. Bring in a guy to balance out the Doctor's unwillingness to use weapons, and made him camp to contrast against the Doctor.

Tennant, well he's a good Doctor for his age. He'd go from moments of quirky joviality to deadly seriousness in an instant, but they over did the whole sexuality of it all. He was copping off with people left, right and centre. I didn't like the Rose/Doctor romance. It brought him down from the level of genius, unpredictable alien to an equal of a gobby Londoner. His exit was by far the best. That old bastard Cribbins had me in tears.

Again, Rose was good but the love story got too much. Martha was absolutely useless and we're thinking of just skipping her episodes up until the Master appears. Donna was alright but just looking at Catherine Tate makes you think she's going to crack a joke any minute. Kept the Doctor on his toes but not much else.

Smith, I've got to say was probably my favourite. Not for story lines, they were pretty poor (they went for fairytales, but it just came out as cheesy), but for how he played it. I'd forget that I was looking at someone in their 20s, and he made the Doctor feel old and wise (like he should be at over 1,200 years) but still kept up the soft side with the companions. His lack of ability to understand various human things was brilliant, too. Almost autistic, which made him feel like he was thinking differently to everyone else in the room. But then they wasted it all with an ending as bad as the one they picked. Literally left him to rot on some pointless planet, then deus ex machina with the regeneration.

Amy Pond was pretty good. Feisty and a pain but alright. Worked better when she was the duo with Rory (he waited 2,000 years for her or something?!). River Song could have worked, but they had her played by someone on the wrong side of middle-aged. It just felt creepy. But on swiftly to my pet peeve: Clara. Dear fucking lord, I despise this one so much. Everything about her is annoying. Her expressions are annoying, her attempts at independence that just turn out to be her making more mistakes, her flat personality, even her delivery of lines. I just can't stand her, so 7 or so episodes of Smith's Doctor won't be revisted this time around.

Capaldi, well I just don't like him as the Doctor. He's got a clever side and a bit of a harsh streak, but he didn't bring much else. Add in that his story lines were so tedious it hurts, I've just not bothered much with his series. Not to mention he's got Clara still.

That'll do for my wall o' text.

I agree about Matt Smith nailing the "old" feel and actually feeling like an alien. However I didn't like that he did not understand humans as it seemed forced. After all those years with humans, I felt that he wouldn't be so awkward with us.

I can see your point about the romance between The Doctor and Rose. I liked it, and personally felt it worked, as I saw it as being more of a response to The Doctor losing all of his race. Like you said about Ecclestone, he was a warrior. I took it that Rose woke up a closed, hurting, lonely man and made him feel again.  I think Ecclestone's Doctor fell in love with Rose too, but it was more like a fatherly love as that was all he was capable of.

When he regenerated, I viewed it that Rose's influence upon him, caused him to regenerate as a younger man as she had awakened the life in him again and had made him want a second chance; she had made him realise he loved life. I viewed Tennant's Doctor as the embodiment of his new found love of life - as The Doctor forgiving himself -his second chance. Hence why he was young, life loving, and could fall in love with a companion despite The Doctor in actuality being a very old man. 

I agree about River Song. I found her annoying and creepy and I don't think the romance worked. We never saw any of it. And I thought it was unconvincing that The Doctor would love her. 

Capaldi, just seems like a gimmick to me. He is moody and sharp, but not very likeable. Contrast him with John Hurt's War Doctor and you realise just how poor Capaldi's Doctor is. John Hurt's Doctor was everything Capadi's is but was actually very likeable and did not come across as moody for the sake of it, but a fully rounded character.

Edited by Mallorn
  • Upvote 1

I can see your point about the romance between The Doctor and Rose. I liked it, and personally felt it worked, as I saw it as being more of a response to The Doctor losing all of his race. Like you said about Ecclestone, he was a warrior. I took it that Rose woke up a closed, hurting, lonely man and made him feel again.  I think Ecclestone's Doctor fell in love with Rose too, but it was more like a fatherly love as that was all he was capable of.

That is what happened.  At the end of series 4 when there are 2 Doctors, the copy, who will grow old and cant regenerate, stays with Rose in the parallel world after wiping out the entire Dalek fleet.  The Doctor says "That's me, when we first met. And you made me better. Now you can do the same for him"

I like the Doctor and Rose love story as it felt natural and not forced.  You could see them falling in love over the series and it is a tragic ending that they get separated and that he doesnt get to say that he loves her.  

I also liked Captain Jack.  He brought so much humour to the show.  I am glad he got his own spin off, Torchwood, which was really good for the first 2 series and peaked in series 3 The Children of the Earth.  The final series didnt really work despite a great idea and the excellent Bill Pullman who for me at least stole the show.

As for John Hurt, he would be amazing as the Doctor in a full series as he is a fantastic actor.

Rory and Amy work well together, better than just Amy on her own.  

Martha just didnt work as they made her infatuated with the Doctor and it was silly.  She could have been a really good character as she was smart, almost a Doctor, and at times held her own.

I am not a fan of Catherine Tate, so that colours my opinion of Donna, but the end of her character was very sad.  She basically dies after discovering so much about herself and goes back to the same person she was before the Doctor

I like the Doctor and Rose love story as it felt natural and not forced.

I suppose it depends on how you view the Doctor. I always see him as an alien that happens to look human (well, technically, the other way round). Other humans may forget, so Rose loving the Doctor is fine, but it won't ever slip his mind that they aren't the same species. And compared to him, humans are like pets. A funny little bunch of stupid apes he can take around to show off in front of, keep himself from getting lonely, and provide another outlook on things. Almost like a temporal cat-lady, just turning up and adopting bored people from the cattery that is Earth.

Which meant that when I watched him actually falling in love with a human, it was like looking at a person getting off with their dog... and I refuse to go back to Norwich after seeing that.

A little Dr Who triva, David Tennant, is married to Georgia Moffett who he meant in the episode The Doctor's Daughter, she plays Jenny in the episode.  Georgia is the daughter of Peter Davidson, the fifth Doctor, who along with Tom Baker is David Tennant favourite Doctor.   

Family meals must be fun

I loved Dr. Who as a kid watching Tom Baker. Great stories when I was too young to see any holes in the story or production.

Now, I try to watch Dr. Who and it just looks so childish with British jokes I don't find funny. Somehow I am just turned off and can't watch even one full show. I think I don't get the British context/culture, and I just don't find the humor funny at all. As an American. So the new Dr. Who is completely worthless to me.  

Are the people watching this and enjoying it, forgiving a lot because it is geared to children? Or does it not seem made for kids?