LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
cossieuk

Dr Who

I don't really like any of the doctors after the 6th (Collin Baker), except for the 8th (Paul McGann). if I had to name favourites it would be Peter Davidson (5th), followed by Paul McGann (8th) and finally TomBaker (4th).

My least favourites are in order Christopher Eccleston (9th), Peter Capaldi (12th) and Sylvestor McCoy (7th).

I absolutely hated Chris Eccleston as the doctor, his character reminded me too much of Will Mellors character (Gaz) in Two Packets of Crisps and a Pint of Lager, Peter Capaldi is just way too serious and melodramatic for me, not a good doctor at all, and Sylvester McCoy just seemed to blunder his way through the role, the only saving grace for McCoy was his sidekick Ace (Sophie Aldred).

As to the wild card, Pail McGann, I liked him in the role, he was good and I would definitely like to see him in more, but as it is with only one movie under his belt as the doctor I just haven't seen enough of him in the role to really formulate an opinion other than he was pretty good in the film.

Edited by androclese

Just found out that Karen Gillan appeared in Dr Who before she was cast in the role of Amy Pond.  She appeared in series 4 The Fire of Pompeii as a Soothsayer

amy-soothsayer-1.jpg

Just found out that Karen Gillan appeared in Dr Who before she was cast in the role of Amy Pond.  She appeared in series 4 The Fire of Pompeii as a Soothsayer

The girl who played Martha also played another character in the Cyberman vs Daleks episodes before being a companion.

The girl who played Martha also played another character in the Cyberman vs Daleks episodes before being a companion.

Martha mentions it well talking to the Doctor on the moon saying that her cousin worked at Torchwood and never came home.  

So the new series starts tomorrow night and in breaking news Jenna-Louise Coleman, aka Clara, leaves the show at some point during the series.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/x5dt5lHn9jM0CMxdpRMP71/ive-filmed-my-last-scenes-it-was-emotional-jenna-coleman-tells-nick-grimshaw-shes-leaving-doctor-who

I wonder Who will take her place.  I would love it to be Maisie Williams, but I guess that is not likely.

So the new series starts tomorrow night and in breaking news Jenna-Louise Coleman, aka Clara, leaves the show at some point during the series.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/x5dt5lHn9jM0CMxdpRMP71/ive-filmed-my-last-scenes-it-was-emotional-jenna-coleman-tells-nick-grimshaw-shes-leaving-doctor-who

I wonder Who will take her place.  I would love it to be Maisie Williams, but I guess that is not likely.

Thank fuck for that. What's the betting they make that irritating little black girl from Clara's school the new assistant?

River Song is back for the Christmas special, so she could be involved in the next series.   Also when there was talk about Clara leaving last year Rose Leslie was the bookies favourite.  

Didn't think much of this latest episode.

Once again The Doctor knows he is about to be permanently killed.

Yawn!

There's a reason the other writers of the show in the past never went down this road. The fans know he will never be killed off permanently, therefore there can be no dramatic tension.

And shock, horror Missy is back!

Why should the fans care about the storyline if someone can die in one episode and then reappear next series, alive, with no explanation as to why that is so. 

This was exemplified with the ending of the episode. Oh no, just like the end of last series, Missy has been shot and disintegrated ...  again. Obviously she really will be dead this time, really!  She won't be making a reappearance ever again in the show. And poor Clara! How many times in the show has she died or appeared to be dead? Am I supposed to care? We all know she'll be back next week.

Edited by Mallorn

Didn't think much of this latest episode.

Once again The Doctor knows he is about to be permanently killed.

Yawn!

There's a reason the other writers of the show in the past never went down this road. The fans know he will never be killed off permanently, therefore there can be no dramatic tension.

And shock, horror Missy is back!

Why should the fans care about the storyline if someone can die in one episode and then reappear next series, alive, with no explanation as to why that is so. 

Hidden Content

Yeah, it was once again a terrible episode of the 3 worst characters: Cappalling's Doctor, Clara the insomniac, and Missy the tryhard.

But we all know what's going to happen next episode. The Doctor won't kill Davros (who also inexplicably survived a planet-sized explosion to the face), he'll do something in the past to change his mind enough to find a way to spare Clara and Missy from ever being killed in the first place. Playing fast and loose with the rules of time travel again. Fittingly, much like diarrhoea. Or Missy will end up with some magic device that turns Dalek blasts into teleportation, so they're really alive and it's all a nasty trick on poor Doctor. 

I'm glad I stopped caring when I did.

• Upvote 1

I like Missy.  

Of course we know the Doctor will be fine, it is not GOT, but going to Skaro, and seeing a young Davros was interesting.

As for Clara she is leaving at some point this year, but they wont kill her like that, as that is not the Doctor Who way.  The show is too family oriented for that.  

As for people coming back in future series, that is a staple of Doctor Who.  How many time has the master been beaten, or the Daleks and Cybermen.  They always come back with not explanation so that is nothing new.

Am I the only one who hates this sex change of The Master as if it is meant to be a normal thing for Time Lords?

Surely if Time Lords changed sex with a regeneration it would've been portrayed in the show before now or at least even have been mentioned?

To me, it's just another example of the BBC forcing PC crap on us all.  And Moffat changing show cannon because he can.

And, as we know, Time Lords recognise each other no matter what body they regenerate into, unless they have made themselves temporarily human.  Hence, why Ten did not recognise Doctor Yana was The Master. 

Yet Capaldi didn't recognise The Master as a woman when he first met Missy. This could be understandable if gender swapping was not a normal occurrence in a regeneration. But Moffat has gone out of his way to imply this isn't the case. That it isn't strange or abnormal - Timelords can change sex.  It's all just so inconsistent. And also, if the body doesn't matter, just the person in it; why isn't Missy still called the Master? It is the Master in a new body that just happens to be a woman's body.

I also don't like how Moffat doesn't feel the need to explain things. If Davies had decided to bring The Master back as a woman, there would be a reason for this. He wouldn't just do it for the sake of it. Everything he did was for the plot and story, not just because he could do it, so why not?

If Davies were still in charge. I'd've imagined The Doctor meeting Missy, a Time Lady, he'd never met before, who, like him, also survived the war. She'd be his new companion. The Doctor would be delighted to have someone of his own race with him. They'd get on brilliantly and a romance would start to blossom. At the end of each episode, Missy, unbeknownst to The Doctor would do something evil to the characters they'd just saved, undoing everything they'd spent the whole episode doing. Fans would be speculating and going mad on the Internet. Is it the Rani? Etc.

In the final 2 episodes, as The Doctor is finally madly in love with Missy, her master plan would be revealed. She'd reveal herself as The Master and explain she changed sex to make The Doctor fall in love with him.

Why? Because the Master loves mind games. He wanted to hurt The Doctor. He wanted to manipulate his feelings, make him know what it feels like to be rejected. This could tie in with flashbacks of a young Doctor rejecting his childhood best friend, The Master, telling him he will not stand by and let him harm others.

Or, perhaps, The Master might not have been evil then yet. As we know, The Master went mad as a child after he looked into the Time Vortex. Perhaps, a young, selfish, arrogant Doctor coldly rejected his damaged, needy friend because he was mentally ill so he would not have to look out for him constantly. He wanted to go off on adventures in time and space and the frightened, shy, slightly crazy Master was holding him back as he was frightened of leaving Gallifrey. So The Doctor just dropped him and went off to have fun, finally destroying The Master's emotional stability.

A story like this would've made sense and at least be a plausible reason for The Master becoming a woman. 

Edited by Mallorn

I like Missy.  

Of course we know the Doctor will be fine, it is not GOT, but going to Skaro, and seeing a young Davros was interesting.

As for Clara she is leaving at some point this year, but they wont kill her like that, as that is not the Doctor Who way.  The show is too family oriented for that.  

As for people coming back in future series, that is a staple of Doctor Who.  How many time has the master been beaten, or the Daleks and Cybermen.  They always come back with not explanation so that is nothing new.

Yes a young Davros was interesting. But isn't Skaro, like Gallifrey supposed to be time locked? Didn't the Time Lords time lock all the planets involved in the time war? Therefore, it should be impossible for Capaldi to have been on Skaro, just like he can never travel to Gallifrey of the past.

Yes, I get that they always come back, but Moffat tries to make it look definitively like they are not. And he uses the death or implied death of a companion over and over and over. It loses its affect because he does it so often. 

He had a whole story arch where The Daleks have all memory of The Doctor erased so that they will no longer recognise him. Fair enough. But then a few episodes later, they know who he is again and it is explained in a offhand comment, said so fast it is easy to miss, why this is case.

Moffat does this all the time; he introduces a story that changes everything, and then undoes it a few episodes later with no proper explanation. Nothing that happens is ever as it seems, or has any real consequences as he undoes it with a passing sentence when he decides he no longer wants it to be that way. It's poor storytelling and seems like he is trying to do shock story lines just for the sake of the shock. If story's consequences are changed so flimsily, with barely any reference, you eventually stop caring.

Edited by Mallorn

I fucking called it.

'Or Missy will end up with some magic device that turns Dalek blasts into teleportation, so they're really alive and it's all a nasty trick on poor Doctor.'

The first episode was filled with gratuitous spectacle, gratuitous CGI, gratuitous footage of previous Doctors, and gratuitous deaths. They somehow spent the entire episode not focusing on the very fascinating moral dilemma at hand. I think it's probably the worst episode I've ever watched.

I would gladly have endured a 30 minute discussion of philosophy and maybe an allegorical subplot in exchange for this horrible, pandering mess.

Wow, that all sounds awful.  I'm not in any hurry to catch up on the new doctor's episodes, and it's looking like I'll leave it at the bottom of my list of things to watch.

I re-watched the last two episodes of Tennant's Doctor a couple of days back. His whole complex relationship with the Master playing out like a theatre production. His struggle with who he'd become. Cribbins breaking my heart with his begging of the Doctor to save himself because he didn't want him to ever die. Seriously, I'm sitting there wiping tears out of my eyes saying 'it's a stupid soppy show'. The universe singing him to sleep.

And then I watched Capaldi and 'Missy'. Absolutely nothing. No emotion. No sense of two lonely gods in a dysfunctional relationship. Nothing. I just sat there thinking 'what the fuck is this shit?' I just can't figure out how they fell so far.

• Upvote 1

I re-watched the last two episodes of Tennant's Doctor a couple of days back. His whole complex relationship with the Master playing out like a theatre production. His struggle with who he'd become. Cribbins breaking my heart with his begging of the Doctor to save himself because he didn't want him to ever die. Seriously, I'm sitting there wiping tears out of my eyes saying 'it's a stupid soppy show'. The universe singing him to sleep.

The last line feels so unscripted.  I wonder if he regrets leaving now.

• Upvote 1

See, I grew up with Doctor Who right from the start (giving away my age there!).  Back then, it was shown at tea time and was very clearly aimed at children.  Many a Saturday tea time was spent behind cushion/sofa/my mum (whichever was appropriate) hiding mainly from daleks but occasionally the cybermen who, back then, were a poor subsitute for the daleks.  To a young child it was all very terrifying but the stories, at least, were easy to follow.

When the series returned I was so excited.  And I tried, I really did.  But now the shows were aimed at an older age group and I thought some of the story lines just did not make any sense whatsoever.  Nip out to put the kettle on and you miss a very short passage which meant, from that point on, you had absolutely no clue what was going on :)

So, because I haven't been an avid watcher in recent years, I haven't formed an aversion to Missy (I didn't even know she was The Master until reading it further up in this thread - makes a bit more sense now) or Clara.  Therefore when I watched the first 2 episodes of the new series it was like being transported back to my childhood.  Everything made sense again.  I actually found it quite refreshing and really enjoyed it.

And I don't mind Peter Capaldi as the Doctor at all.  Better than some of the others I have to say.

Edit:  Ok so I decided to watch from series 1 on Netflix.  Who knows, I might change my mind!

Edited by Iordariel

I have loved the reboot up until the Matt Smith / River Song stories and the god awful impossible Astronaut stuff. I actually think Matt Smith was an amazing Doctor, he just suffered from very bad writers. I felt like the majority of his series' were just who is gonna die next and then a week or two later they bring them back like it was nothing. It just made little sense to me and ruined what they had built on with both Ecclestone and tennant's Doctors. I loved both of their versions too, as I felt like both of them added something truly unique to the role and made the character engaging. Capaldi? not so much for me. I recently watched all of the reboot series back to back and by the time I got to Smiths regeneration I was struggling, and I mean really struggling, to remain interested. I persevered though and by the end of what I could watch with Capaldi I was just bored out of my mind. I have nothing against Capaldi, I just don't find him engaging as the doctor and Clara just doesn't seem to have any sort of spark for me either. Both characters feel one dimensional to me whereas all of the predecessors in the reboot had something else for them to switch too, usually between the zany mad cap antics and the brooding dark hero. Capaldi just seems to be the same monotone and one trick to me all the way through, and they have tried to make up for that with Clara but even she just isn't as engaging as previous companions. Heck, I wasn't a big fan of Donna Noble but I would happily see her return and take Clara's place just to liven things up a bit. 

I really do think that the writers are killing the show and it is a real shame, especially with talk of the BBC's budgets being cut. I think if more people get bored and tuned out, we could face the very real possibility of Dr Who being canned again which should never have happened the first time let alone again. 

I am honestly not sure what could save the franchise, and I am well aware that my opinions are not those of everyone who watches. I consider myself more of a casual who fan having only ever watched a little of the classic stuff (mainly McCoy) but I do feel that these days the writers rely more on shock twists such as people dying and then not dying, or they overuse scare tactics to force a reaction. An example of this is what they have done to the stone angels by bringing them back so many times and making them into a Who style Freddie Kruger. Their debut was an amazing episode and left you with the feeling that these things could literally be all around you and you would never know. The whole episode had a certain "psychology" to it that kept you on your toes. They didn't need a scare moment every 5 minutes because the story itself kept you interested. I do personally feel that as they have "evolved" the angels they have become little more than a Tv equivalent of someone running up behind you and shouting "Boo". I just find it sad that they seem to have ripped out the mysterious nature of the statues in favor of over using them. It just feels to me like the writers have run out of ideas and so are sticking with what worked for them before, but unfortunately it is just getting stale and boring for most regular viewers. 

For the record I am not anti Capaldi either, i just don't think that the actor is being given much to go on as far as character depth goes. I think they want him to perform a certain way and he is making the best of it, it just isn't on par with previous doctors for me. 

I have loved the reboot up until the Matt Smith / River Song stories and the god awful impossible Astronaut stuff. I actually think Matt Smith was an amazing Doctor, he just suffered from very bad writers. I felt like the majority of his series' were just who is gonna die next and then a week or two later they bring them back like it was nothing. It just made little sense to me and ruined what they had built on with both Ecclestone and tennant's Doctors. I loved both of their versions too, as I felt like both of them added something truly unique to the role and made the character engaging. Capaldi? not so much for me. I recently watched all of the reboot series back to back and by the time I got to Smiths regeneration I was struggling, and I mean really struggling, to remain interested. I persevered though and by the end of what I could watch with Capaldi I was just bored out of my mind. I have nothing against Capaldi, I just don't find him engaging as the doctor and Clara just doesn't seem to have any sort of spark for me either. Both characters feel one dimensional to me whereas all of the predecessors in the reboot had something else for them to switch too, usually between the zany mad cap antics and the brooding dark hero. Capaldi just seems to be the same monotone and one trick to me all the way through, and they have tried to make up for that with Clara but even she just isn't as engaging as previous companions. Heck, I wasn't a big fan of Donna Noble but I would happily see her return and take Clara's place just to liven things up a bit. 

I really do think that the writers are killing the show and it is a real shame, especially with talk of the BBC's budgets being cut. I think if more people get bored and tuned out, we could face the very real possibility of Dr Who being canned again which should never have happened the first time let alone again. 

get_out_of_my_head_charles.jpg

I saw an article recently about the sonic screwdriver being switched into sonic sunglasses.  Is that for real?  That just seems like Moffat screwing around with stuff because he can.

I saw an article recently about the sonic screwdriver being switched into sonic sunglasses.  Is that for real?  That just seems like Moffat screwing around with stuff because he can.

It's real... and it's shite.