LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Fredelas

Farewell, Infinite Crisis!

Nice article. Turbine did some major things wrong with the game, though, which are somehow missing from your blog. One example is the lag and bad netcode they could not fix. They made a lot of mistakes in how they rolled out the game. It wasn't that they were unlucky - it was a really bad game with tons of money put into development and marketing. I still liked your article though.

Edited by nosam9

Nice article. Turbine did some major things wrong with the game, though, which are somehow missing from your blog. One example is the lag and bad netcode they could not fix. They made a lot of mistakes in how they rolled out the game. It wasn't that they were unlucky - it was a really bad game with tons of money put into development and marketing. I still liked your article though.

I agree that lots of things could have been done better. But as I noted in the beginning, these were just the highlights of my testing, not a critical examination. It's nostalgia, not a post-mortem.

But I don't think "it was a really bad game." By the end, it was actually a pretty okay game that was burdened with the reputation of two years of very public development. If no one had seen it until it was released, I think it might have been received differently. Still, it's unlikely that just a pretty okay game could ever steal many customers away from its established rivals.

I agree that lots of things could have been done better. But as I noted in the beginning, these were just the highlights of my testing, not a critical examination. It's nostalgia, not a post-mortem.

But I don't think "it was a really bad game." By the end, it was actually a pretty okay game that was burdened with the reputation of two years of very public development. If no one had seen it until it was released, I think it might have been received differently.

Still, it's unlikely that just a pretty okay game could ever steal many customers away from its established rivals.

Fair enough. And that last part is certainly true. Not easy to break into the MOBA market. LoL, Dota, HOTS and Smite have it pretty much wrapped up. All really well made games backed by strong companies.

Edited by nosam9

Fair enough. And that last part is certainly true. Not easy to break into the MOBA market. LoL, Dota, HOTS and Smite have it pretty much wrapped up. All really well made games backed by strong companies.

I think Infinite Crisis's open beta was timed to happen right before Smite's launch on PC. I think that had the unintended effect of actually making Smite look much better than it really was at the time. :)