LOTROCommunity
Moderate Peril

EQII - The Prison Server Experiment

Daybreak made a interesting announcement recently.

Later this week we plan to release a server we are calling “Drunder,” which is a “prison server.” What does that mean, exactly? Ultimately, players who are caught breaking our rules and disrupting EQ2 live server gameplay will be flagged for this server, and no others -- ever. Characters on these accounts will be copied to Drunder (the “prison server”) and can never leave or transfer to another server.

This is a server our Customer Service Game Masters have requested over the years in order to manage disruptive players. They will determine who goes there. As gamers, we recognize there are some players who like to step outside our rules.

Drunder will get no customer service support and it will require a maintained membership to access and play. Rather than disrupt live servers in an attempt to join the “prison server,” players can use our /petition system and ask to join Drunder. To be clear: You won’t be able to move individual characters to this server, while maintaining characters from the same account on another server. This is a ONE-WAY trip for an entire account forever.

Ultimately, players who break the rules – or want to – will have a world of their own to do… whatever they will.

As I said, this is an experiment. We wanted to see what happens given it's not a very common option.

Let's see where this takes us…

Do you think this idea will be successful and catch on? If so, in which game would you like to see this system used next? 

Beyond the obvious "I didn't do anything to be put here!!" cries it isn't a terrible idea. The thought of opening it up to be transferred to is an interesting option.

Here we'll make you a server keep it updated but no other service and no rules enforcement.

There could be a niche market there. They should actually make 2 servers Asshats and Exploiters. A "prison" server and an "anything goes" server.

Drama, foresee it, I do.

Daybreak made a interesting announcement recently.

Do you think this idea will be successful and catch on? If so, in which game would you like to see this system used next? 

Interesting idea.  Kinda remind me of various anti-cheat/ anti-idiots inviatives on private servers.  No idea whether it will be succesful, it depends on whether Daybreak will have balls, persistency and consistant long-term good execution to do this properly.

Also EA2 is old, irrelevant game so it having it or not does not have much meaning aside of providing research/info/field test of such concept to Daybreak.

I don't have any game in which I would like to see this since I don't play MMO(RPG)s anymore nor I plan to in foresable future.

Edited by drul

I think this is a great idea. Every server of every mmorpg out there has people on them that try to upset other players. These people ruin the game for many people and quite often will not change their behaviour no matter how many warnings they get from GMs.

Transferring them to a "prison" server means the company never has to ban so they will not lose revenue from the ones that actually spend money on the game. Seems a sound business decision to me. Also many will be attracted, I think, to an anything goes server and would choose to go there.

Edited by Mallorn

I also think this is a great idea, only if it's an open world, no holds barred PvP server, the Escape from New York server if you will.

Drunder?  It's a prison colony.  Call it 'Australia'.

If you banish someone to this server, how likely are they to continue playing the game or keeping up their account?  There are too many games out there for this to be effective, in my opinion.

The GMs should also just troll the players once they are there.  Every now and again they should log on in dev mode and just one shot people at random,

If you banish someone to this server, how likely are they to continue playing the game or keeping up their account?  There are too many games out there for this to be effective, in my opinion.

Yes, but going by that principle no way of dealing with abusers will be effective because any way of preveventing abusers that will work will mean that they will leave.  After all they want to cause trouble and ruckus.

Yes, but going by that principle no way of dealing with abusers will be effective because any way of preveventing abusers that will work will mean that they will leave.  After all they want to cause trouble and ruckus.

My point is you are dedicating a server to them. Manpower to transfer them.  Any appeal process for people banished to the Siberian gulag? I just don't understand this, to be honest.  In general, games do well by accentuating a 'good game' and rewards to those who play it, not punitive consequences.  

My point is you are dedicating a server to them. Manpower to transfer them.  Any appeal process for people banished to the Siberian gulag? I just don't understand this, to be honest.  In general, games do well by accentuating a 'good game' and rewards to those who play it, not punitive consequences.  

Yes, but the people likely to be transferred to this server are players who deliberately go out of their way to offend and generally ruin the game and cause trouble for others. They are not normal players. These type of players damage a server's community and if left unpunished, will result in a loss of revenue from players leaving the game because of their behaviour. These players will not stop until they are permanently banned from the game.

At least by sticking them on a prison server they can still play the game, meaning the company will probably still make some profit from the ones who spend money. Yes, some will not not like it there, where they can not bully others, as that is what they thrive off, but many will also probably like it on this server as trolls find it difficult to not respond to others. If there are constant arguments in chat, feuds etc. I can see many will be in their element.

Edited by Mallorn

I doubt it will be "first offense = prision server" kind of thing.

Regardless truth is either you do something effective to combat players (and lose money) that break rules because some players WILL break rules no matter what, no matter how good and rewarding game is or you don't do anything effective (warnings, temp bans, etc)  against this like game companies have been doing for decades in basically all MMORPGs.

So it depends what do you mean by 'effective'.   Effective way or earning money or effective way of taking care of abusers and chaters?   Cause that is not the same thing,  and that is also fault of players that don't break rules.

Edited by drul

These players will not stop until they are permanently banned from the game.

At least by sticking them on a prison server they can still play the game, meaning the company will probably still make some profit from the ones who spend money. 

I think banning them might be better.

Do you think those 'sent to prison' will continue to pay enough to make this a profitable move for the company?

So it depends what do you mean by 'effective'.   Effective way or earning money or effective way of taking care of abusers and chaters?   

I am saying I don't see it being an effective way of earning money or continuing to have those 'abusers' be a moneymaker.  Would it not be more cost effective to ban them?  You will spend money on the server, money on the manpower to transfer them, handle the appeal process, etc etc.  These people who repeatedly are abusive to others...do you think they won't just flip SOE the bird and not give them another cent? 

Don't get me wrong here.  I'm not advocating for the abusive/rude rulebreakers who go out of their way to cause distress to others. I've seen too many of them over the years. As far as I'm concerned, they can go jump in a lake, with a helping push from Daybreak. I am simply wondering if this is going to be a net gain or loss from the company from a resources standpoint.

Ultimately, players who are caught breaking our rules and disrupting EQ2 live server gameplay will be flagged for this server, and no others -- ever.

And let me say, unless Daybreak is more aggressive than they used to be in my EQ days or much more than Turbine was, it will be a laughingstock. I'm sure we all saw some pretty horrendous forms of abuse in LOTRO, clear harassment and attempts to disrupt others gameplay on a regular basis, and GMs often said there was nothing they could do about it. Is Daybreak going to use the same criteria for moving people to Drunder as they once did for banning?  Are they lowering the bar and making Drunder a place to go if you have committed acts that fall somewhere below the traditional banning level of offense?

Interesting idea.  Kinda remind me of various anti-cheat/ anti-idiots inviatives on private servers.  No idea whether it will be succesful, it depends on whether Daybreak will have balls, persistency and consistant long-term good execution to do this properly.

Also EA2 is old, irrelevant game so it having it or not does not have much meaning aside of providing research/info/field test of such concept to Daybreak.

I don't have any game in which I would like to see this since I don't play MMO(RPG)s anymore nor I plan to in foresable future.

how do you "non administrate" "non-customer service" properly?   As leaf  says it's going to rely on the criteria for being put there on whether or not it's a successful experiment or a joke.

Edited by Bendin

I think banning them might be better.

Do you think those 'sent to prison' will continue to pay enough to make this a profitable move for the company?

Possibly, that's probably why they are trying it - they won't know until they do. I can see many other mmo companies keeping a close eye on this.

Also is having one server for this really going to cost them time and money in the long run? 

The other point you've got to consider is that many people might voluntarily want to play on this server. A no rules, no GMs, anything goes server will be heaven to some. They can say what they want, do what they want, and exploit to their hearts content with no repercussions.

I'm really surprised this has not been tried before. Isn't this just like having different bars in a town? There are certain bars in every town that are no go areas for most decent people, yet they do very well with their aggressive clientèle and are often packed full of people. This is just a similar way of catering to those kind of people but in a gaming context.

Edited by Mallorn

Possibly, that's probably why they are trying it - they won't know until they do. I can see many other mmo companies keeping a close eye on this.

Also is having one server for this really going to cost them time and money in the long run? 

The other point you've got to consider is that many people might voluntarily want to play on this server. A no rules, no GMs, anything goes server will be heaven to some. They can say what they want, do what they want, and exploit to their hearts content with no repercussions.

agreed the make/break factor is going to rest on the criteria for what initiates removal to the server.  There probably is a sweet spot of severity/verification/implementation that works.  However, miss that spot by too wide a margin and it's Katy bar the door. Either too hard to get people sent there or everyone and their brother getting sent, and It will likely do more harm than good.