LOTROCommunity

Asheron's Call - Turbined

http://massivelyop.com/2015/09/09/asherons-call-still-offline-after-two-weeks/

The entire Asheron’s Call population has been homeless for two weeks and counting.

Back in late August, a serious problem was discovered when players were intentionally crashing servers to dupe items. Turbine responded by fast-tracking a move to a new data center for the entire game, taking Asheron’s Call offline on August 25th.

“As part of an emergency maintenance we have fast-tracked our process of movingAsheron’s Call to a new data center,” Turbine posted. “The good news is that means better hardware and higher network capability. Unfortunately, a move this large will take a few days, during which time the servers will be down.”

Unfortunately, the studio realized that “additional engineering work” needed to be done to restore service and put the MMO on haitus until the issues were resolved. While Turbine has been informing players on a near-daily basis as to the status of the project, no date has been given for the game’s restoration.

Frelorn on damage control:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?576696-Asheron-s-Call-Offline-After-Two-Weeks&p=7439447#post7439447

"While this is taking longer for the AC folks whom I love more than anything, this does indeed end up being helpful to us here on LOTRO as the team was able to learn quite a about the process. That being said there were some unplanned surprises from the move with AC as it was "fast-tracked", and all the teams involved are working very hard to get AC back up as soon as possible. As for us here in LOTRO land, yes we will have the advantage of seeing the process having been done already and can do much more prep work so we do not run into the same issues.

Frelorn on damage control:

"While this is taking longer for the AC folks whom I love more than anything, this does indeed end up being helpful to us here on LOTRO as the team was able to learn quite a about the process. ... As for us here in LOTRO land, yes we will have the advantage of seeing the process having been done already and can do much more prep work so we do not run into the same issues.

Nothing Turbine has said in the past year instills any confidence in their ability to do anything technical. It's like there are a handful of people left trying to do some basic technical stuff and failing. Expect more delays and major issues.

Just practicing for when they pull the plug on lotro.  Keep delaying it while they get as many subs to autorenew as they can them BAM. Cya suckers

Asheron's Call hasn't offered a subscription option since they stopped their monthly content updates in July 2014. Turbine actually refunded subscribers who had paid in advance for any time beyond that.

I asked if it wouldn't make more sense to do the transfers AFTER the upgrade.  I didn't get a response of course but my thinking was along the lines of, like, if you have 5 cars and you have a two stall garage, and you're thinking of building a 5 stall garage, you don't try to jam the other 3 cars in the 2 stall garage just because you're building a bigger one in the future, right?

I mean, if something goes wrong with the build for a extended period (AC's downtime), and you've got all those cars jammed together in that smaller space for longer than you anticipated..  well then, you're kind of a dumbass, aren't you?

Edited by Snowlock

I asked if it wouldn't make more sense to do the transfers AFTER the upgrade.  I didn't get a response of course but my thinking was along the lines of, like, if you have 5 cars and you have a two stall garage, and you're thinking of building a 5 stall garage, you don't try to jam the other 3 cars in the 2 stall garage just because you're building a bigger one in the future, right?

I mean, if something goes wrong with the build for a extended period (AC's downtime), and you've got all those cars jammed together in that smaller space for longer than you anticipated..  well then, you're kind of a dumbass, aren't you?

Well, if oyu are to belive what they have said, that´s what they wanted, but since the HW upgrade has taken more time then they thought, it will happen at the same time.

My guess is WB has set a date for them for when the consolidation (or someone made a stupid promise to WB) would be done, and now they basically HAVE to do it at the same time...

Maybe they're trying to be cheap and see how things shake out after the transfers, so they can resell some of that hardware and get the games running on few of the new stuff as possible.

"Mitigating circumstances" could mean budget cuts, which could mean they have to scrimp on everything now.

Or they could just be that bad at getting the new stuff working.

Well, if oyu are to belive what they have said, that´s what they wanted, but since the HW upgrade has taken more time then they thought

And the the quoted is the problem.  HW upgrades ALWAYS take more time than "they" think.  And if Turbine doesn't know this, then they also aren't prepared for it.