LOTROCommunity

New LotRO Store coming

FundinStrongarm

It seems that the new store opens up on your screen every time you earn TP completing a deed.  Not just the old TP alert, the whole store window.  Even in the middle of combat.  /facepalm

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?577757-New-Store-Coming-Soon&p=7461948#post7461948

"So after the hotfix today, I completed 2 Deeds and after each the Store opened up. Working as intended? Didn't do that before the fix. Page loads much faster than the old store but if it opens every time I earn 5 TP it will get annoying fast."

• Upvote 1

It seems that the new store opens up on your screen every time you earn TP completing a deed.  Not just the old TP alert, the whole store window.  Even in the middle of combat.  /facepalm

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?577757-New-Store-Coming-Soon&p=7461948#post7461948

"So after the hotfix today, I completed 2 Deeds and after each the Store opened up. Working as intended? Didn't do that before the fix. Page loads much faster than the old store but if it opens every time I earn 5 TP it will get annoying fast."

I can believe that's WAI.  I wonder how far off we are from having to purchase Turbine Time™  For only 19.95 you can play lotro for 6 hours.

One thing I noticed, when I clicked on the "Terms of Service" link in the Store, is that it brought up a browser-ish window, through which I was able to nagivate to the forums and read them, something that was a lost functionality since they removed the icon from the mini-map years ago.

yes, I agree. good point.

Quinn, both Rift and WoW remained relatively bug free compared to Lotro. No one is talking about any complex software having no bugs - but WoW is very well maintained and has relatively few bugs that stay in the game for long periods of time. Lotro is the exact opposite - many bigs exist for very long periods of time. Just look at the disappearing music in the game that will exist as a bug and broken feature for many, many months. The argument that every game has bugs completely misses the point that games can be very different in the amount of bugs the developers just leave in the game.

The thing about the perfectly working store (and the quickness with which they fix anything wrong with the store) it just shows you Turbine has the money to fix bugs, but has decided not to spend that money to fix bugs in Lotro (except for any store bugs). Of course some things get fixed, but the state of Lotro is so bad - that one big reason it can't be called a AAA MMO. This is not some tiny, stuggling company doing it's best, this is a division of a huge company (WB) deciding to fleece players for every cent and to spend as little on the game as possible.

No one has called it a AAA mmo since f2p.  I have never found a game breaking bug in Rift. But I definitely have in wow.  At least 10-15.  Its expected for a game that size.  They fix them quickly.  

WoWs current problem is that they have let a ton of fans down.  The devs admitted that 6.1 should have been called 6.0.5.  And 6.2 is what Lotro delivered for many years.  Scaled old dungeons.  Most of the long time players are pissed.  Most expected more from a full priced xpac.  Where have we heard that before?  And they added some new features and items to their store and that pissed off some more people.  

All these games have their problems.  IMO a game that you pay 15$ a month to play should not have an in game store.  

No one has called it a AAA mmo since f2p.  I have never found a game breaking bug in Rift. But I definitely have in wow.  At least 10-15.  Its expected for a game that size.  They fix them quickly.  

WoWs current problem is that they have let a ton of fans down.  The devs admitted that 6.1 should have been called 6.0.5.  And 6.2 is what Lotro delivered for many years.  Scaled old dungeons.  Most of the long time players are pissed.  Most expected more from a full priced xpac.  Where have we heard that before?  And they added some new features and items to their store and that pissed off some more people.  

All these games have their problems.  IMO a game that you pay 15$ a month to play should not have an in game store.  

Bolded:

That's the key, fixing them quickly. When we were playing WoW we'd cancel all guild events on launch day and for a couple days afterwards. Launches always brought bugs but Blizzard would be patching the next day or two fixing the game breakers. It's one of the things I really like about FunCom they're hotfixing happens the next day not 2-3 weeks or more later.

Stores don't bother me really, but then I've never played a game where the Store was mandatory. Turbine made quite a few errors with their Store, there was no Store when I played WoW, but I think FunCom's Store is a well done addition to the game.

There are 3 Store Currencies, Bought Points, Sub Bonus Points, Veteran Points. Bought Points and Bonus Points have the same purchase power but are tracked separately. The Store automatically uses Bonus Points first before spending any points you've bought. Veteran Points are awarded when a sub's bonus points are awarded and can be used only for items that have been set aside as sub only perks.

Pretty much anything in the Store can be bought in game for game currency, I can think of 4 items that don't drop or can't be purchased in game, aside from Sprint Animations and Cosmetics. No ad's in game, no Icons on your bar,

• 3 weeks later...

No steed available at the MInas Tirith rep barterers.  BUT, you can get the Steed of the Citadel in the store for the special price of 1995 TP (per char) if you're so inclined.  >:(

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?583599-Steed-of-Minas-Tirith-nothing-at-the-rep-barterer&p=7483258#post7483258

I saw this steed on one of the loading screens in the new area and was looking forward to getting it, until I saw that thread.

Now I'm definitely convinced that the whole Minas Tirith update is one massive troll of the remaining playerbase, what with the skimpy drops of tier 10 crafting mats, the lag/crashing, and the long-ass quest chains that have you running back and forth all over the place.  Plus this store-only steed BS.

this can't be the first time this has happened.

There have been store-only steeds for a while, but I can't remember an area that we could get rep with that had no rep barter steed, only a store one.  Rivendell, Thorin's, Bree, Michel Delving - all those areas have rep barter steeds as well as store steeds.  There is a steed of Minas Ithil  in the store, but we don't earn rep for that area.

The steed of the Citadel Guard is clearly meant to be for Minas Tirith, and there is no in-game equivalent. 

People who care about steeds are exactly the demographic Turbine is shooting for at this point. Most of the people who couldn't give a rat's ass about steeds have left.

Edited by FundinStrongarm
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

New in the store on BR tonight, Blessing of the Valar, 5995 TP to get you to level 95.

Out of curiosity I tried it out. It gives you gear, skills, rank 4 virtues, 45 trait points, riding skill and Steed of the Citadel.  Oh, and some gold too, not much if I remember correctly, I think less than 2 gold but I already had the gold from the Eyes and Guard so I'm not positive about that. 

When you use it, it immediately ports you to Dunharrow to talk to Eowyn and start the epic where you look for the kid who went into the Paths of the Dead.  A new person would be completely over their heads with this.  

There is a cheaper version that takes you from level 51 (if you bought the Gift of the Valar already) to 95 also.

Actually there are loads of new things on the store, a few examples...

Ice sculptures and yule logs (that actually belong as yule festival rewards, imo, and not in the store)

Crafting Stations for your house (495 tp each)

Mobile suppliers for your house  (495 tp)

Skins for War Steeds

Bundles for horses

Stat tomes at lvl 13 and 14 (295 tp each)

Ingredient Crates that let you get universal ingredient packs once a day for clicking it, (995 tp, two kinds being offered.. one for vip and one for non)

a new cat pet

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, warspeech said:

New in the store on BR tonight, Blessing of the Valar, 5995 TP to get you to level 95.

Out of curiosity I tried it out. It gives you gear, skills, rank 4 virtues, 45 trait points, riding skill and Steed of the Citadel.  Oh, and some gold too, not much if I remember correctly, I think less than 2 gold but I already had the gold from the Eyes and Guard so I'm not positive about that. 

When you use it, it immediately ports you to Dunharrow to talk to Eowyn and start the epic where you look for the kid who went into the Paths of the Dead.  A new person would be completely over their heads with this.  

There is a cheaper version that takes you from level 51 (if you bought the Gift of the Valar already) to 95 also.

'Want to skip the only good parts of LotRO to jump straight into the lack of end-game? Well this is for you!'

11 hours ago, warspeech said:

Well, the 45 traits are just because you are lvl 95 (formula for trait points is (current lvl - 5)/2 ;)

4 virtues is a little bit on the low side..., but hey, you can buy more from the store ;)

@Doro, it's something I'd consider buying for a 3rd or 4th alt, just for playing instances etc. Especially because you can skip Rohan, which has a lot Mounted Combat and I get 500 tp/every month for free which i don't use for other things.

3 minutes ago, Thrabath said:

@Doro, it's something I'd consider buying for a 3rd or 4th alt, just for playing instances etc. Especially because you can skip Rohan, which has a lot Mounted Combat and I get 500 tp/every month for free which i don't use for other things.

I can understand wanting to skip post-Moria stuff. But even an alt would feel empty if you jump to the end and miss Eriador entirely. All those deeds that you'd have to go back to complete. All the trait points you miss along the way. It's like you've got the entire game before still waiting. I used the jump to L50 on a Mins when I was trolling around Laurelin, and even that felt hollow and like I had far too much to complete.

7 hours ago, Danys said:

Ice sculptures and yule logs (that actually belong as yule festival rewards, imo, and not in the store)

Mobile suppliers for your house  (495 tp)

Skins for War Steeds

Bundles for horses

Stat tomes at lvl 13 and 14 (295 tp each)

Ingredient Crates that let you get universal ingredient packs once a day for clicking it, (995 tp, two kinds being offered.. one for vip and one for non)

a new cat pet

I completely agree with you that the ice sculptures and yule log should be festival rewards, not store offerings.  They also have an anorien banner yard item and an anorien shield wall item.  That's the kind of thing we used to be able to barter for too.  I bought the new housing stuff on BR to see what they all looked like; there's nothing there that I'd spend TP on.

For people who have loads of TP stacked up and nothing to spend it on, I can see these being popular, though, just by virtue of being new.

9 hours ago, Danys said:

Mobile suppliers for your house  (495 tp) ...

So, for useful things like this, I would have to give up trophy or furniture space to do so.  Without a free-form manner of decoration placement, these mean little or nothing for me.

3 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

So, for useful things like this, I would have to give up trophy or furniture space to do so.  Without a free-form manner of decoration placement, these mean little or nothing for me.

I recall in a recent stream that they mentioned the crafting at housing would be a vip perk.  Why I thought that would happen I don't know.  There is really no reason to buy these because getting from your house is a royal pain the ass.  Perhaps it's a niche thing for those huge crafting kinships.

6 hours ago, warspeech said:

I completely agree with you that the ice sculptures and yule log should be festival rewards, not store offerings.  They also have an anorien banner yard item and an anorien shield wall item.  That's the kind of thing we used to be able to barter for too.  I bought the new housing stuff on BR to see what they all looked like; there's nothing there that I'd spend TP on.

For people who have loads of TP stacked up and nothing to spend it on, I can see these being popular, though, just by virtue of being new.

The steed is nice but I believe they should have given it as the barter horse for MT and not thrown them into the festivals, Halloween one and Yule one.

Not having the rep horse for barter is lame.

ScreenShot01383.jpg

ScreenShot01372.jpg

2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

I recall in a recent stream that they mentioned the crafting at housing would be a vip perk.  

Perhaps indicative that VIP-memberships aren't selling so well anymore, and instead of trying to lure more players into subscribing Turbine opted for targeting the entire player base. 

What really surprised me was how cheap these crafting stations are (495 TP each), I'd have expected them costing several thousands at least. If the game was doing better financially, maybe their cost wouldn't be as low. Really sounds like they're desperate to meet their quarterly financial target by the year's end, hence the whole "sell more now for less" thing with crafting stations, Yule decorations that should have been festival rewards, etc.

Oh, and there was a 50% off sale on all store steeds simultaneously with the "double the bonus points" TP sale. Desperate times indeed.

If they offer insta-leveling for money you should get to pick which level to jump to.  So you can skip outright garbage levels that have no alternatives to lame questing.  Of course their system doesn't offer any flexibility so that would be a 10 person-year project.

$5 for crafting stations and vendors in your house, eh? Why did I spend so much of my play time running around if they now invalidate everything I did?

You'd think they don't care much whether I'll be around in 6 months...