LOTROCommunity

Update 17 - What is it?

and yet, you just can't help posting here can you?  

poor bambino, are you in need of some attention today?

Nah, it's a bit like prodding a sleeping dog with a stick - it's funny when they wake up and start barking without knowing what's happening.

Then leave.

Is that Doro in the role of mod or troll posting? 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh!, I get it... you're rping a self-important douche.  Great job! you really got in touch with the character.

I guess if you eat shit long enough you acquire a taste for it.

Eh? I've been invoked, so I appear. (This forum is still the best source of actual information about updates so I've been lurking). My assessment of Minas Tirith is similar to Warspeech's. I'll add my

Posted Images

Nah, it's a bit like prodding a sleeping dog with a stick - it's funny when they wake up and start barking without knowing what's happening.

Is that Doro in the role of mod or troll posting? 

I'll use modbreak when I need to be a mod. For now, it's me just being tired of your shit.

I'll use modbreak when I need to be a mod. For now, it's me just being tired of your shit.

Because it would be just soooooo funny if you were to lose your rag and ban me in a fit of pique... just like Sapience!!!

Anyhow, don't worry - I'll let you all carry on with the U17 discussion. cya!!

Because it would be just soooooo funny if you were to lose your rag and ban me in a fit of pique... just like Sapience!!!

Anyhow, don't worry - I'll let you all carry on with the U17 discussion. cya!!

Oh!, I get it... you're rping a self-important douche.  Great job! you really got in touch with the character.

• Upvote 3

Hey Doro, how about the nuclear option and just ban Bango, Snowlock, and myself?

Everyone's happier then, and the board's short two trolls and an idiot that keeps responding to the trolls.

I prefer the freedom of speech option. Banning is a last resort, and this shit is pretty mild.

At least I posted to actually talk about the game.  My recent posts at minimum.  I used to agree with a lot of what these posters used to post.  Speaking of Bango and Snowlock.  Now it's just sad seeing them try to poke a sleeping bear with a stick.  Playing through the content and while there is some good to the update, I chose to highlight the very worst of it.  Only because it is glaringly bad.  

I'm glad Bango took the time to give his WHHEYDT list of approved posters.  Atleast now we can understand that everyone who is left's opinion can be immediately invalidated. Lol.  

I don't think anyone needs to be banned, but this forum should not be a place where others are allowed to troll for their own enjoyment and then run away laughing.  As far as the posters of old in the list above aside from Brrokk they don't talk about Lotro because they have moved on from the game.  And Bango brings up his name every time he is looking to call us  bad people. He actually left when a new poster flamed him. And many of us begged to have him come back.  

And the real problem with this thread is that the people (myself included) who actually came here to talk about the game let the damn troll have his way with us.  

Meanwhile if we had ignored, their stupid comments would have been buried  by 4 pages of posts not about them.  I think we still have some good posters here.  Ones who come talk about Lotro and other gaming trends.  So I say let's stick to that and ignore these folks who "dip" in to create havoc, not because they disagree with us but because their here to get off on trolling us.  Let's be the bigger men, and ladies.  

They can always use the official forums for that.  

With that said I would actually enjoy reading about what others think of U17.  I gave my opinion of it and I would encourage others to do so.  Good or bad. Please do not feel the need to "play the fence" if you liked it great, if you didn't fine.

There are some parts of it that still have me playing it.  It may not be like before with 10 hour Saturdays, but its enough that I'm curious to see what's available. While I will continue to play Rift and possibly wow on legion release, I will still check in about lotro.  Every now and then they release content that amazes me considering their resoures. 

Edited by Thequinn
  • Upvote 1

All I've done so far is the epic and a few other quests that I picked up along the way.  I've only been doing an entire update's content on my main for the last few releases, and my other two 100s I just use for crafting/resource gathering.  I haven't been plagued by the crashing that others have run into, but my laptop is old and that could be why - I'm not able to run with ultra high graphics and I'm already used to logging out often when the memory usage gets too high.

I think the crafting this time around is ridiculously tedious with both tier 9 and tier 10 mats dropping in the new area.  I haven't seen any believable justifications for this from the blue-names on the OF, other than "we wanted it that way". So my strategy will be to finish the update on my main while I'm still on my sparsely populated, closing server, and see if I can buy the mats I need once I get to my new server, which I expect to have a more lively AH.  

I liked the epic a lot, but I don't see myself running the EBs more than the required one time, and I'm satisfied with the look of MT and the surrounding areas, given the current state of the resources TB has to throw at the game.  The amount of tedious hunting for things and running back and forth to try to stretch out the time people spend finishing the new content is painfully obvious, and annoying enough that I'll only do it once.  I'll gear my other two 100s out with crafted stuff and call it good enough.  I know a lot of people like this now - high-level alt-ing seems to be diminishing more and more in my circle of friends.  

If I had to give U17 a grade, I'd give it a B-, and that's only because the epic brought the average up a lot in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

The above seems to be a very realistic and honest view of how things in the game currently are, and what expectations one should or should not have. It makes the last few pages of the thread look like meaningless noisy chatter in the kindergarten.

Eh? I've been invoked, so I appear. (This forum is still the best source of actual information about updates so I've been lurking). My assessment of Minas Tirith is similar to Warspeech's. I'll add my getting-about tip: in MT travel the walls around the circles rather than the streets when in a hurry.

• Upvote 2

All I've done so far is the epic and a few other quests that I picked up along the way.  I've only been doing an entire update's content on my main for the last few releases, and my other two 100s I just use for crafting/resource gathering.  I haven't been plagued by the crashing that others have run into, but my laptop is old and that could be why - I'm not able to run with ultra high graphics and I'm already used to logging out often when the memory usage gets too high.

I think the crafting this time around is ridiculously tedious with both tier 9 and tier 10 mats dropping in the new area.  I haven't seen any believable justifications for this from the blue-names on the OF, other than "we wanted it that way". So my strategy will be to finish the update on my main while I'm still on my sparsely populated, closing server, and see if I can buy the mats I need once I get to my new server, which I expect to have a more lively AH.  

I liked the epic a lot, but I don't see myself running the EBs more than the required one time, and I'm satisfied with the look of MT and the surrounding areas, given the current state of the resources TB has to throw at the game.  The amount of tedious hunting for things and running back and forth to try to stretch out the time people spend finishing the new content is painfully obvious, and annoying enough that I'll only do it once.  I'll gear my other two 100s out with crafted stuff and call it good enough.  I know a lot of people like this now - high-level alt-ing seems to be diminishing more and more in my circle of friends.  

If I had to give U17 a grade, I'd give it a B-, and that's only because the epic brought the average up a lot in my opinion.

The crashing has stopped for me, but the first few days were pretty bad.  And i play on a pretty powerful machine, so not sure the laptop was the problem.  My nephews account doesnt have any alt chatacters aside from a bank toon.  So I'm focused on finishing the stuff on his only toon above 95.  Aside from the one bad questline I am enjoying it for what it is.  I gave it a 5/10, but I'm pretty biased since my last play date was back during Fangorn.  

Most people see a 5/10 and think I'm saying its terrible.  No 5/10 is average.  I won't say MT was exactly what I thought it would be when I first took up the game, but it isn't the worst update I've seen.  And yes I enjoyed the epic as well.  And the quests are really my only interest in the game.  I won't being train running spambrog for upgrades.  I have gotten groups for the new instances and they aren't terrible.  Nothing I will do more than a couple times.  Playing a dps has always bored me so really that's my own bias.  

Eh? I've been invoked, so I appear. (This forum is still the best source of actual information about updates so I've been lurking). My assessment of Minas Tirith is similar to Warspeech's. I'll add my getting-about tip: in MT travel the walls around the circles rather than the streets when in a hurry.

good to see you again. It seems we all have the same take on the update.  Look forward to seeing you more.  I always enjoyed your take on the game.  

New hardware won't be ready before Thanksgiving, but server transfers will be opening up again and Brandy is now available to transfer to:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?579416-World-Transfer-Q-amp-A&p=7479690#post7479690

"Greetings players! 

Thank you once again for assisting us in this Stress Test of the new server hardware and environment. It was a lot of fun and a great success as well! 

Thousands of you joined us this past Saturday bringing us closer to knowing the limits of our new hardware. During the test, we did find some things we need to work a bit more on to make the launch of our new datacenter the best it can be. This means that we are going to make some more adjustments and then schedule another load test in a couple of weeks. This means we will not be making our previously targeted pre-Thanksgiving launch in the new facility.

When is the new target? Until we complete the next test it is hard to say. When we have a more solid date we will let you know.

The good news is that in this time we have been able to add additional server power to the older hardware so that while we all await the great migration, we will be re-opening transfers, starting with the long awaited Brandywine! As of today all closing US worlds already open for transfers should now see Brandywine as a target destination. Additionally next week we will open Maiar for transfers on Monday 11/16 and Imladris on Tuesday 11/17. We will continue to monitor and open worlds for transfer as appropriate while we wait for the buildout to be completed.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding in this transition!"

Snowbourn open to transfer to Evernight, yet? I want to see this debacle in full Technicolor.

Not yet.  Snowbourn is last on the list of EU servers to be opened for transfer off.  Maiar, Vanyar, and Withywindle are in front of it.  Transfers off Maiar start on Nov. 16.  If they hold to opening up a new group each week, Snowbourn looks to be open on Dec. 7.  But  it could be later than that if they space out the transfers more slowly.

I'm glad they're beefing up the hardware and I'm glad to see they're attempting to work out the kinks instead of going full steam ahead.  However, I rarely get "lag" of the sort that causes the game to take several seconds for it to catch up with what I want to do.  Since the fps issue is an entirely different problem my Lotro experience will probably still run like crap.  Hopefully this hardware upgrade will mean that when a boss has 10k, morale left and I've done 40k in damage it wont take 3 minutes to register the hits.  

As far as u17 is concerned.  I loved the look of the city and it's quite an impressive sight when you're heading down the road from the north gate.  The epic quest line was really well done.  The ancillary questing is tedious at best but it's certainly not the most heinous questing we've been subjected to.  It definitely beats u13 so I give it two broken thumbs up.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad they're beefing up the hardware and I'm glad to see they're attempting to work out the kinks instead of going full steam ahead.  However, I rarely get "lag" of the sort that causes the game to take several seconds for it to catch up with what I want to do.  Since the fps issue is an entirely different problem my Lotro experience will probably still run like crap.  Hopefully this hardware upgrade will mean that when a boss has 10k, morale left and I've done 40k in damage it wont take 3 minutes to register the hits.  

As far as u17 is concerned.  I loved the look of the city and it's quite an impressive sight when you're heading down the road from the north gate.  The epic quest line was really well done.  The ancillary questing is tedious at best but it's certainly not the most heinous questing we've been subjected to.  It definitely beats u13 so I give it two broken thumbs up.

Update 13 was the Fangorn stuff, right?  Yeah, that was a low point.  I never did go back to get that rep. after trying a few of the quests one time. 

I'm starting to wonder if the few devs left at Turbine are a little **TOO** passionate about making this feature work, as that would explain a lot.  When you really peel away the layers, there's really not that much between a BB and a standard instance, and most of the BB's could have been handled in a skirmish if they just let the players interact with the siege equipment and captains without the stupid restrictions, because we're able to flip traits within the instance, as that's what we've effectively ground out now.

Ditching the BB classes would also make the instances a lot more fun for the newer players, as you don't have to leech and/or face stab with bad instances to become competent at them.

When the epic battles were first announced the idea sounded like a good one.  At least it sounded fun.  They pushed that through because at that point they already didn't have the resources to make other classic end game content.  I'm sure the initial outlay of money wasn't insignificant but like skirmishes it's probably much cheaper after you get the code down.  With the release of Retaking Pelargir they introduced the "epic foe" which I'm sure is even cheaper to create.   Throw in a named boss, give it a crap ton of morale and a green halo and boom you have a side objective.  I suppose on paper "Epic Battles" sounded a lot sexier than "we're adding two new skirmishes."  That's what it comes down to, hyping up something to the bean counters, even if it turns out to be a flaming turd with a cape.

PS:  the cape is because it's EPIC!

Hi Brrokk! Nice to see you again : )

I've finally finished the new update and my reassessed opinion is similar to yours too. I thought the epic was very well done and once I got out of Minas Tirith, I found the quests were an improvement on the city ones. Like yourself, it was the epic that made me view this update more favourably.

I'm finding the mixed tier matts dropping weird. I don't think I'll be doing this update again on any of my alts. Not sure if I'm going to bother maxing out the crafting tiers as I think from now on I'll probably only pop into the game when there is an update as I don't feel as though there is anything worth working towards any more.

When the epic battles were first announced the idea sounded like a good one.  At least it sounded fun.  They pushed that through because at that point they already didn't have the resources to make other classic end game content.  I'm sure the initial outlay of money wasn't insignificant but like skirmishes it's probably much cheaper after you get the code down.  With the release of Retaking Pelargir they introduced the "epic foe" which I'm sure is even cheaper to create.   Throw in a named boss, give it a crap ton of morale and a green halo and boom you have a side objective.  I suppose on paper "Epic Battles" sounded a lot sexier than "we're adding two new skirmishes."  That's what it comes down to, hyping up something to the bean counters, even if it turns out to be a flaming turd with a cape.

PS:  the cape is because it's EPIC!

Epic battles, big battles, they were neither. 

Their answer for scaling was to take your character out of the equation.  Let's remember that not only were they scaling these for group size but 90 levels of characters.  They have done ok with this in the past, take the epic quest chain.  Inspiration revitalized the interest in Epic quest lines.  I remember skipping them on a bunch of my toons because a max level character wasn't on to splatter it and finding a group for it was next to impossible.  Group only leveling areas really only work if your population is big, you use the entire population (cross server).  Then there's the lead up quests to get to the group instance.  Has everyone finished them in group?  Inspiration fixed this.  I don't think it would work well in a space where your level 10 runs the content with another max level character.  And it works even worse if you are trying to solo big battles on a level 10.  I've tried it.  It's almost as if the dps is not adjusted correctly and the side missions are very hard to complete.  (correct me if I am wrong as the last time I tried this was HD)  Down scaling seems to work best in most games if you want to try and run content with lower level characters. 

They also should have been separated from the epic quest chain (optional).  I did them only once during HD  to get the epic done and really I wished I could have avoided them.  I've also felt this way about mounted combat.  It wasn't just my experience with them early on that made me hate these "innovations" but the continued "unfunness" of them.  Sure I ran a few of these battles with kinnies, but afterwards you did not get the same sense of accomplishment that you got from a raid or any real group content.  Actually even less than completing a Skraid.  The biggest problem with the epic battles is that the NPC's were slaughtering the mobs before they even reached you, and aggro?  Throw that idea right away.  Sure you could force taunt them and when it wore off they went back to beating on a predetermined target.  You play this game to fight with your unique character, not to sit by and let others do the work for you. 

I think they could have easily (without too much trouble) revamped the skirm system for HD instead of this entirely new system with side missions and without an entirely new system to grind out points for.   I think the solo versions are what they are.  They are trying to accommodate the players with 3 different tiers.  Only the 3 tiers only brought more morale and maybe 1 added mechanic to the fights.  I remember the echo of death being a real PIA.  And only because he had so much health and reflected damage. Not a single one of the other LT.s even scared me on T3 they just took much longer to kill.  Even some simple mechanic of trying to pull mobs out of fire or some type of disease where it is contagious and you actually have to use a salve on a skirm soldier to survive.  How about adding a ubber healer to a group of mobs that needs to be killed first.  And then shocker, for T3 give them multiple mechanics.   I'm just rattling these off the top of my head.  The point is more could have been done with skirms and I used to run them on T3 for the epic improvement drops (crystals).   I was running them 3 a day and maybe twice did anything good drop.  They were only 1 step up from Epic Battles. 

And that brings in a whole other problem, the skirm soldier.  The currency used to upgrade one was also the reward for your effort.  I understand they wanted to monetize it but it should have leveled with you, without spending the currency to upgrade him.  This is why many people either abandon the idea of a solo Skirm or stick to tier 1 with their never improved skirm soldiers. Most people never even summoned them because they were the most brain dead ai in the game, unless you had the healer and even she was too stupid to heal herself on the brink of death.  Then there was the actual reward.  No one was expecting seals or a ton of medallions but the amount of SM and meds awarded made players abandon doing them.  Maybe they should have had their own independent currency.  They already had their own reward system (and most of those rewards, aside from legendary improvements, were worse than vendor trash).

If you really want to get the solo players into these areas to experience them just give them frigging inspiration. 

Edit:

Really not complaining about skirms just seeing a ton of lost potential.  As far as epic battles is concerned they should have been deep 6'd after the first 3.

Edited by Thequinn
see above