LOTROCommunity

Update 17 - What is it?

nosam9

A french Youtuber made a test of U17.

If you don't understand french, he shows several graphic glitches at 7:25

In resume, he demonstrates that it is the worst Update ever and he crashed 89 times in 5 hours in Minas Tirith on a powerful configuration (whereas he's a LotR fan and Roleplayer)

I agree with him, because it is the first time that I cannot play a game anymore for technical reasons (I need ~20 mn to connect (when I can...) on some lvl 100 characters (because the login process loads all the deeds => "The connection to the server has been lost") and sometimes 5 seconds to crash on my old configuration if I forget to set everything to low)

Edited by Castorix

• 2 weeks later...

"Update 17 Hotfix 2 Release Notes

• We have made additional updates to Minas Tirith and the Pelennor Fields to improve performance."

Apparently, from what I read in OF, it still crashes for many players (and some with very good configurations).

So they are totally unable to find the source of memory leaks and they just add small patches to limit the consequences.

When they fix some bugs, they add others, meaning they don't do "Regression testing".

They don't fix old bugs/exploits (RC, Draigoch, Library, etc...)

They made 2 BBs, that most of people hate, which are just copy-paste of Deeping Wall, because it takes a lot less of resource and time to develop than new instances.

They completely abandoned loot tables/itemization & difficulty/classes rebalancing, which kills all the end-game.

I was hoping a revival of the game with T2 Osgiliath instances which were, apart the bugs, a step in the right direction, but now, it seems closer to the end with a few remaining devs in front of a black box...

I think they are doing the best they can, but they are too understaffed. I wouldn't be surprised if their contentteam has around 5 developers, with world building team rotating between their MMO's, or aren't DDO and AC getting updates anymore?

I wouldn't be surprised if their total MMO staff is around 20 content developers at most for the 3 MMO's they have.

So many players complained about the trollishly long Forlong the Fat and Children of Minas Tirith quest chains that Turbine has now made it easier: With Mithril Coins, of course!

From the update notes: "Enabled teleport to npc for many more of the objectives in both the Children of Minas Tirith and Forlong's Feast quest arcs."

When I first read the notes I thought they were adding free teleports to the next location within the quest chain. Wow, was I naive. It's just another money-grab. And this time it's 5 mc's per port. Way to listen to your costumers, Turbine. :F

16 hours ago, Tinker said:

So many players complained about the trollishly long Forlong the Fat and Children of Minas Tirith quest chains that Turbine has now made it easier: With Mithril Coins, of course!

From the update notes: "Enabled teleport to npc for many more of the objectives in both the Children of Minas Tirith and Forlong's Feast quest arcs."

When I first read the notes I thought they were adding free teleports to the next location within the quest chain. Wow, was I naive. It's just another money-grab. And this time it's 5 mc's per port. Way to listen to your costumers, Turbine. :F

Well, it's always been 5 in the most recent region update, and decreased to 1 mc when the next region is released. And I haven't finished the quest yet, so I don't know how far I'm in it, but it doesn't feel like a stupid quest yet. If you are VIP you get 500 TP every month, so you can buy enough MC to prevent a lot running, if you aren't VIP then you just have to pay.

Oh, and I just used 20k TP from my other LT account (I never play on it anymore) to buy stuff and mail it to my main account :P So sometimes they have good changes ;) 

Well it looks like I have finally completed most of the solo content of update 17 on my nephews hunter.  While some of it was enjoyable, the performance issues were just horrible at times.  I just got a 980ti in preparation for Star Wars Battlefront.   Having to run the game on the lowest graphical setting just to avoid severe lag and graphical errors was quite annoying.  Basically rendered my 650$ graphics card to what a 25$ card can do.  There were some crashes to desktop more towards the beginning of release than recently. 

On 11/23/2015, 1:08:51, Tinker said:

Saw this coming a mile away.  Almost as if it was designed to encourage players to spend MC.  And yes that chain (Forlong) at times is that unbearable.  Putting the technical issues aside and taking into account this:

On 11/23/2015, 3:52:59, Thrabath said:

I wouldn't be surprised if their total MMO staff is around 20 content developers at most for the 3 MMO's they have.

I would say it's average.  Enough to keep long time players playing.  But I'm a returning player and quite honestly it isn't enough to keep me.  I was even able to go back on an alt and do most of the content from Fangorn up to U17 and that was all average too, nothing memorable.  Good enough to keep people who will not abandon their toons after spending 100 levels and years with them.   But for a player like myself none of it is enough to say this is worth continuing the journey.  The only appeal left is the IP itself.  This was probably my last hooray in the game.  There are just so many better games available it's pointless to waste my time on a game that I may have enjoyed pre-Helms Deep.  There aren't enough reasons to stick with it, nothing to look forward to other than story that I am very familiar with.   While this used to excite me the way that it is executed now is just not as exciting.  I remember visiting the iconic places in Middle Earth and getting excited.  Now it's just like blah.  

Gameplay goes a long way to make these areas enjoyable, but without decent gameplay it's like playing a telltale game, maybe worse.  It used to be a themepark game but now it feels like a solo quest game with themepark elements shoehorned in.  And that works for some games, mainly ones with decent/fun combat systems. 

On 11/23/2015, 9:58:04, Almagnus1 said:

So how many NGEs did SWG have before it finally folded?

Lotro doesn't need a ton of NGE's just content.  Content worth repeating with alts. 

On 11/23/2015, 12:52:59, Thrabath said:

I think they are doing the best they can, but they are too understaffed. I wouldn't be surprised if their contentteam has around 5 developers, with world building team rotating between their MMO's, or aren't DDO and AC getting updates anymore?

Not sure about the 5 staff on Lotro, but I would bet the total content developers working on the 3 games is much lower than 20. AC = no new content, and DDO has gotten less content than Lotro recently. DDO players have posted the game is in worse shape than Lotro.

At this point, except for minor Lotro and DDO updates, most game-related staff are working on their new mobile games. They know there is no future in DDO and Lotro.