LOTROCommunity

Update 17 - What is it?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh!, I get it... you're rping a self-important douche.  Great job! you really got in touch with the character.

I guess if you eat shit long enough you acquire a taste for it.

Eh? I've been invoked, so I appear. (This forum is still the best source of actual information about updates so I've been lurking). My assessment of Minas Tirith is similar to Warspeech's. I'll add my

Posted Images

Turbine : At least we are no EA

Sorry, that slogan is taken:

EA - At least we're not Turbine

I can't think of any game company worse than Turbine - except for maybe some kickstarter that ran off with the money. Turbine is at the worst end of the scale. Even with some staff doing good work, Turbine is the worst game company I know.

Sorry, that slogan is taken:

EA - At least we're not Turbine

I can't think of any game company worse than Turbine - except for maybe some kickstarter that ran off with the money. Turbine is at the worst end of the scale. Even with some staff doing good work, Turbine is the worst game company I know.

Hehe you should see Trions handling of Archeage in the Western world as publisher mate. 

Makes Turbine looks like saints.

The ribs and bread look great.. but I'm unsure about the green bean, carrot, olive .. thing.. that got vomited up on that other plate...

ScreenShot01279.jpg

It is the same resource as in Underharrow (quest "Shelter in the Harrowdale") :

9319291879287006.jpg

Edited by Castorix
  • 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of discontent in that thread. This next update should be fun.

On one hand I see an opportunity for players to have access to 3 slot jewelry that was otherwise restricted to just doing the Osgiliath instances and pray to the RnG gods but now the grind turns to the essences themselves which has never been easy for the smaller servers and those that weren't aware of the exploit. Although the level 95 ones are a slap to the face of PvPers to barter for they are better than nothing and the difference between levels is marginal (68 each on morale, 65~ each on mastery).

I liked this post there:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?580837-Update-17-Beta-4-Patch-notes#13

I almost laughed when the dude asked if the extra trait points are considered in terms of content-related effects... like, oh my, balance. But the best part - he puts 'team' in quotes... So cute and sad in the same time :)

just announced, update 17 goes live tomorrow.

i'm going to go grab some popcorn, brb :)

No kidding?  So what, the whole team got shifted into "get the new hardware working" mode?  They put beta build 4 on BR and shut the server down immediately after the stress test, so nobody had a chance to test any of it.  What on earth are they going live with?

It almost sounds like they're throwing up their hands and saying "Whatever. We don't give a crap anymore either".

Pretty sure the stress test was bad for Turbine over the weekend and today's meeting to review the data and work needed made the company realize they had to push all of their resources in to hardware upgrade with the initial update 17 content rushed out. Maybe we'll see some fixes and changes before the end of the year and holidays but I'm doubtful.

• Upvote 1

just announced, update 17 goes live tomorrow.

i'm going to go grab some popcorn, brb :)

I cannot find the announcement that it goes live tomorrow. Can you give a link, Papi?

Edit: Oops! I found it. Nevermind. :)

Edited by Tinker

Pretty sure the stress test was bad for Turbine over the weekend and today's meeting to review the data and work needed made the company realize they had to push all of their resources in to hardware upgrade with the initial update 17 content rushed out. Maybe we'll see some fixes and changes before the end of the year and holidays but I'm doubtful.

That's the impression I got too.  It seems way too rushed, and like a panic move to try to get things working to meet their end-of-the-year target,

It really is a panic move. The producer puts up a hastily put together thread with minute changes that would not have been noticed or realized by players during the stress test until after the fact and six hours later suddenly we're going live tomorrow.

This could actually be where we see Turbine starting to collapse upon its broken foundation and I may see myself quitting the game by the end of the year if there is indeed disaster on the horizon with this update and pending hardware upgrade.

I want to know why everyone cares so much about whether people are farming sammy or gling.  I don't run the "hard" stuff because I need to farm marks and meds.  My friends don't say to me "Hey, you wanna get a BG or OD run together cuz I need the marks?"  Having content that is "farmable", as far as I'm concerned is perfectly ok, especially considering the currency is really the only reason to do it.  On the other hand if sammy dropped morgul crests it would definitely be a problem.

I was really surprised to hear about the standard amount of slide-show lag in the stress test of their shiny new servers that was supposed to be so hawt it could handle all of the NA players on a single server.

Re Grinding:
Farmable stuff is fine, however, the problem with the farming situation is that it's with only one instance, and not using something like a roulette that has a set of instances to farm, with the roulette bonus providing like 10x the currency that anyone of the instances would grant.  The overuse of one instances is what people are more opposed to, rather than the instance just happening to be Sammy or Gling.

Ok, but why do you care?  Does it really matter that one instance is being "overused"?  I think people should just be honest and say "We don't like people being able to do easy stuff and get anything.  We want only the most elite and purest of players to get stuff"

I've never liked Glinghant and I stopped "farming" Sambrog when he took that restraining order out on me.  People will always find the path of least resistance.  What happens when they find another instance to farm?  I'll tell you what will happen.  People will piss and moan about that too and maybe Turbine will nerf the marks and meds of that instance, so on and so forth.  Containing it to one or two instances is more like damage control than pandoring to whiners.

Edited by Amenhir

I only care when it's the only thing being ran, as no one else wants to waste time on the other instances and you can't get groups going for them.

That's when it becomes an issue, and that's what's earned it so much scorn.  You can only zerg GB stuff so much until you get sick of it, and plenty are just burned out on that cluster, so didn't mind it getting whacked.

As I had mentioned earlier, having a random set of instances that can't be modified is the better solution, especially if the bonus for running that is like 10x that of any one instance, with another bonus that's even greater but only available once daily per char.  That approach solves the issue cleanly as it lets people still farm Sambrog, prevents burnout on any one instance, and gives people their currency in a way that's forcing everyone to actually use all the instances.  That may not be possible with the F2P cluster instance cluster that is LotRO endgame, but it works wonders in FFXIV.

My solution was not to run those.  I recall a lot of groups I joined doing a random thing through the instance finder when there was a currency bonus which Turbine felt needed to be removed.  

At least you can't acces the pelennor from Osgiliath, since it's posted 2 times in the known issues ;)

• Pelennor - Debris blocks passage from Osgiliath into the Pelennor; instead, the Pelennor can be entered through a hole in the Rammas Echor at Harlond
  •