LOTROCommunity

Update 17 - What is it?

Here's an (edited) dxdiag of my desktop:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150930-1750)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
          DirectX Version: 12
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 770
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
        Device Type: Full Device
   Dedicated Memory: 4026 MB

^== That should not have issues.

LotRO is not stable, it's even running LotRO off of the second SSD (first is the C:\, d:\ is a 1TB HDD).  This is what we're trying to get across to you, is that LotRO is not in a good state as it stands right now, because systems similar to mine should be able to run the game without issue.

If it works just fine for Dragon Age: Inquisition, Dreamfall: Chapters, and FFXIV, why am I having issues with LotRO?

This.  My machine has nearly identical specs, 8 cpu, 16 gb, etc, right down to the SSD installation disk. It has a Windows Experience Index of 7.8.  I keep drivers and other software updated religiously.

Prior to U17, LotRO was crashing roughly every 4 hours of gameplay or so.  In Minas Tirith, the average time between crashes is probably less than 10 minutes, no exaggeration.

Mounted Combat pushed the game beyond what the servers could deal with properly.  Minas Tirith now appears to have done the same for the client...

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh!, I get it... you're rping a self-important douche.  Great job! you really got in touch with the character.

I guess if you eat shit long enough you acquire a taste for it.

Eh? I've been invoked, so I appear. (This forum is still the best source of actual information about updates so I've been lurking). My assessment of Minas Tirith is similar to Warspeech's. I'll add my

Posted Images

Not true.

New content is made very well in WoW, the staff working on it are very skilled, and content is well tested and polished before release. Blizzard treats WoW nothing like Lotro. WoW is still very profitable - in part because it is so well made.

Remove the blizzard tainted glasses for 1 second.  Ignore the red text of your quote as that was not what even remotely close to what I was I was talking about. 

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0mHdzdK-A

Then watch this video:

It's not about polish but lack of content.  I was just stating that WOW does not get the attention that their new games get.  The folks who worked on Wrath of the Lich King have been moved to other blizzard games.  The staff is relatively new.  Sound familiar? 

It doesn't matter if the people that replaced them are somewhat skilled.  It doesn't matter how polished the content is.  Players have been leaving in droves.  The content releases for WOD are effectively over.  The last content patch was scaled/mythic version dungeons and the reintroduction of valor points. (see above video).  Even the well informed rational players are calling this xpac a ripoff.  Some of the youtube WOW commentators have canceled their subs.  A lot have deemed this xpac garrison craft.

Not sure how you missed all if you are playing the game.  Or are you? The people whose videos I'm linking have been playing since Vanilla. 

Sorry, #1 is completely false.

#2 - you are just making up. Or evidence please. The staff in general did not move from WoW to other games.

Seriosuly, evidence please? Or admit you are guessing?

It's easy to find criticism of any WoW expansion, or people who don't like how WoW has become easier and more accessible. Blizzard tried something new in Garrisions. It had some very good points, even if players got sick of it and it missed it's mark. The raids, quests and landscape in WOD are very good. Even Ashran is excellent, if not as good as TImeless Isle. Nothing in WoW is perfect or exactly what people want.

"Hotfix Release Notes

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?581644-Update-17-Hotfix-Release-Notes&p=7473354#post7473354

• We have made some updates to Minas Tirith to help improve performance.
  • In A Stroll with Bergil, Oryat and friends in the Second Circle are now reset after each bout, so the next adventurer can step up and take a swing at them.
  • Lady Raenemel and several other quest-related NPCs in Minas Tirith now have correct greeting voiceover audio
  • A confusing, extra quest icon has been removed from the objective where you go to Lady Raenemel's house
  • Creatures from level 99 and up now drop Tier 10 gems and scholar crafting materials.
  • Some crafting materials didn't have their stack size properly updated to 500. This has been fixed.
  • Quest NPCs in Minas Tirith will no longer vacate their posts (or fall from them).
  • U17 rare quest gear now appropriately accepts essences.
  • Kinship and Fellowship chat commands in German and French have been restored.
  • Horse travel from Shadowed Refuge to Second Hall now completes.
  • Hooks and Captains endgame quest can be completed.
  • Pelennor can be entered via the road from Osgiliath.
  • Many clubs that were white have regained their color and texture."

I don't see any problem with using the Windows Experience Index as a benchmark, as long as you understand what it means.

The feature of making the overall score the lowest of the categories is a reasonable, simple way to account for performance being bottlenecked by the least performant part of a system.  There is not really any other way to do it, without narrowing the rating to a particular application or making other assumptions.

Empirically, increases in the scores have a very strong correlation with increased performance, in my experience.

People who complain about lack of content in WoW are nuts.  The centerpiece of the game is raiding (at all levels from casual to the most insane hardcore).  It has been that way since I started playing in WotLK, and anybody who doesn't understand that is daft.

Of course, like any MMO, there are other things to do like collect mounts, pets, achievements, cosmetic outfits, craft, play the AH, etc.  There is also PvP, which apart from being balanced and having appropriate rewards available, does not really rely on a stream of new content being provided.  Nevertheless, there has been more development effort on PvP in this expansion than any previous one.  I don't PvP, so I can't comment on how successful it was - but my impression is that PvP is reasonably balanced at the moment.  In any case, all the non-raiding activities that existed in the past still exist, and in fact have been expanded in various ways (e.g. brawlers guild, proving grounds, mythic dungeons, timewalking dungeons, challenge mode dungeons, pet battles, etc).

As far as raiding, less than 1/2 the guilds who have downed any raid boss of the present tier (released in June) on normal difficulty have killed even the first boss of heroic yet. That is about 18K guilds in the US, EU.  Note that "heroic" now is supposed to correspond to the same difficulty as "normal" in recent past expansions, since a more casual-friendly "normal" mode was introduced.  These folks are not out of content to do.

Only 1/3 of the guilds who have killed the first boss of heroic (so about 1/6 of all guilds who have killed any raid boss on normal) have killed the final boss on heroic.  Since there is an entire difficulty tier still available, with better rewards, these folks are not out of content either.

2/3's of the guilds who have killed the final boss on heroic have killed the first boss on mythic (highest) difficulty.  So that is about 1/8 of the guilds who have done any raiding.  Only 0.6% (235 guilds, or roughly 6000 people) have cleared Mythic yet, five months into the tier.  Those are the only people who could reasonably claim they are out of content.

I am not in the elite of the elite (my guild is around the top 4% world-wide, top 500-ish in the US), and I raid with two different groups every week.  In weeks of raiding, I have never heard a single soul express the wish that there were another raid tier coming anytime soon.  It is far more satisfying, for me at least, and I suspect most others, to finish the tier we already have, which is extremely challenging and fun.  We just reached the halfway point of the raid last week, when we killed the 6th boss out of 13...

Blizzard is very good about easing back the difficulty as the tier ages, to ensure that nobody gets permanently stuck and can't progress.  The patch 6.2.3 is part of that effort, by unlocking cross-realm mythic raiding and a mechanism for people to upgrade their gear with valor points.  The patch's content, or lack thereof, is perfectly appropriate for where we are now.

Calling WoD a rip-off is simply stupid.  In the year since it was released, a subscriber will have spent $50 for the expansion, and $180 for subscription fees. That works out to less than $20/month total.  If you only play for 3 hours/week, which is almost nothing, that is still less than $2/hour of entertainment.  If you play for an hour a day on average, which I suspect is closer to typical, it is less than $1/hour.

With that said, WoD followed an expansion (MoP) that released with relatively low expectations but featured a new class AND a new race, and after a slightly rocky start turned out to be better than most expected.  WoD had high expectations, but overall was merely solid rather than amazing - there were countless excellent systemic improvements but no new class or race (because the art department had their hands full with the long-overdue character model/animation updates).  The marquee feature (garrisons) didn't suck but didn't excite everyone either - in the final analysis, the investment of development effort in garrisons probably didn't pay off with enough quality gameplay, compared to tossing in an extra zone like Timeless Isle (which I strongly suspect would have been easier and cheaper). The story frankly also fell a bit short of the hype (the bad guys turned out to be pretty incompetent and were practically beaten by the time we finished levelling). 

Oh boy.... a WoD defender.... don't stand up for that tripe, man.

Quinn was comparing WoW to Lotro. Which is a joke if you know both games. WoW gets 20x more content and the content is much more polished and working when released. This seems pretty obvious - but somehow Quinn was saying WoW gets the same treatment as Lotro and has a lack of staff and budget. Just pointing out how untrue are the things Quinn was saying. Quinn, you don't need to respond. You can keep you view that WoW is neglected and buggy like Lotro.

Well, we got that crafting tier we wanted, YAY!.  Unfortunately it's a heaping pile of shit.  Tinkers, metalsmiths and cooks did really well this time around.  The other professions can go pound sound.  After several hours of farming scholar mats I was able to get 40 wax and 32 parchment from mob drops.  I ran to a study to start using them and discovered that the new battle lore scrolls require 8 parchment to make one scroll.  What is wrong with these people?  The drop rate is terrible.  If they dropped like candy at a parade it would be crazy but doable.  This just seems like trolling to me.

Edited by Amenhir

Quinn was comparing WoW to Lotro. Which is a joke if you know both games. WoW gets 20x more content and the content is much more polished and working when released. This seems pretty obvious - but somehow Quinn was saying WoW gets the same treatment as Lotro and has a lack of staff and budget. Just pointing out how untrue are the things Quinn was saying. Quinn, you don't need to respond. You can keep you view that WoW is neglected and buggy like Lotro.

No I was comparing how it is treated in relationship to the other games they produce.  And how it has become a back burner project since the senior staff was moved to those other shit games. Hearthstone, Overwatch , etc.

1.  not the amount of content vs Lotro.  Obviously WOW has more content. But not previous versions of WOW itself.  Meaning previous versions. 

2. Not the amount of polish on the game.

3.  Not the lack of staff or budget which I fucking noted in a follow up post already you neglected to read.  Although the programming may be flawless the ideas behind some of it are not.  I guess you skipped MOP for Dailiescraft?

4.  Never once said WoW was buggy

It is you who are insinuating that I said all that. 

All the videos I linked are by respected WOW players.  That actually know what they are talking about.  I think maybe you are taking on the persona of some of the folks you like to criticize on these forums.  No conversation can be had with you because you treat people you disagree with like shit.

Next time use my direct quote instead of summarizing your hatred for me.

"It's not about polish but lack of content.  I was just stating that WOW does not get the attention that their new games get.  The folks who worked on Wrath of the Lich King have been moved to other blizzard games.  The staff is relatively new.  Sound familiar?"

LACK of content when comapred to previous versions of itself.

People who complain about lack of content in WoW are nuts. 

Not really.  Since you played during WOTLK would you say that WOD has far more content (just released from 6.0 - 6.2.3) than WOTLK (3.0-3.3.5) ? 

The outrage is coming from people who usually don't criticize the game.  There's some bad decisions being made at blizzard if you can't see them I'm not going to bother going over them with you. 

Edited by Thequinn
Trying to clarify things to someone who can't read

And how it has become a back burner project since the senior staff was moved to those other shit games. Hearthstone, Overwatch , etc.

The outrage is coming from people who usually don't criticize the game.  There's some bad decisions being made at blizzard if you can't see them I'm not going to bother going over them with you. 

Quinn, you just look stupid with your comments. Ignorant with opinions not based on reality. Nothing personal. I am just calling it like I see it.

1. You are calling Hearthstone a shit game?  How so? Have you played it?

2. I asked you for any evidence that "staff was moved to those other shit games".  Nice how you have suddenly changed it to "senior staff". Again, do you have any evidence of this?

And yes, I see your other points. It could be argued they made mistakes in developing WoW.

If you look back at your first post about WoW, you just said a lot of things that are untrue.

Do you have any evidence of this:  "WoW has become a back burner project"

The amount of content in recent expansions, or Youtubers disliking what Blizzard did with the game, has nothing to do with your statements that I have highlighted. You can't offer a single bit of evidence to back them up. I put them in red so you can't ignore them. Back up what you are saying - or admit you are guessing this.

3. It just looks like you are anti-Blizzard. It is pretty obvious.

Why is Overwatch a shit game? How many hours have you played it or watched other people play this? Do you even know the core mechanic in terms of class that makes this completely different than any other team shooter?

I challenge you to answer these questions honestly. How much have you played Hearthstone? How much have you played WOD and MOP expansions in WoW? How much do you actually know about Overwatch?

Edited by nosam9

I have. the meta right now is pretty cancerous and Blizzard refuses to balance anything that isn't a basic card. Fun, but as always Blizz has their head up their ass. I've had way too many games entirely decided by RNG which is also pretty fucking stupid.

And even though it's a shit game WoD has 5 million subs so something's being done right. Hearthstone also makes $20 million a month or so. Just proves that gamers love to get shit on. But take the blizzdick outta your mouth sometime, jesus.

But take the blizzdick outta your mouth sometime, jesus.

What is it about Blizzard that makes you say this if anyone says their games are decent?

Quinn is making stuff up and somehow thinks Blizzard has done what Turbine did to Lotro. Which is about as far from the truth as you can get. Blizzard always funded WoW fully and didn't put anything out as buggy as Lotro is.

I totally agree there are issues with WoW and Hearthstone. I play HS a lot. But I wouldn't call it a "shit game". And it's too early to call Overwatch a shit game - no one really knows yet - but the general reviews of it are pretty good so far. It will probably be very successful.

People play HS because it is fun, and free. I have enough cards to win in the meta game, and also just have fun playing interesting decks for fun.

Quinn, you just look stupid with your comments. Ignorant with opinions not based on reality. Nothing personal. I am just calling it like I see it.

2. I asked you for any evidence that "staff was moved to those other shit games".  Nice how you have suddenly changed it to "senior staff". Again, do you have any evidence of this?

And yes, I see your other points. It could be argued they made mistakes in developing WoW.

If you look back at your first post about WoW, you just said a lot of things that are untrue.

Do you have any evidence of this:  "WoW has become a back burner project"

The amount of content in recent expansions, or Youtubers disliking what Blizzard did with the game, has nothing to do with your statements that I have highlighted. You can't offer a single bit of evidence to back them up. I put them in red so you can't ignore them. Back up what you are saying - or admit you are guessing this.

3. It just looks like you are anti-Blizzard. It is pretty obvious.

Why is Overwatch a shit game? How many hours have you played it or watched other people play this? Do you even know the core mechanic in terms of class that makes this completely different than any other team shooter?

I challenge you to answer these questions honestly. How much have you played Hearthstone? How much have you played WOD and MOP expansions in WoW? How much do you actually know about Overwatch?

We have derailed this thread enough.  Anti Blizzard, LOL.  No.  You can criticize their moves and still think it is superior company you know?  My point was Blizzard isn't perfect no company is.  They all make mistakes.  They have been having problem keeping subscribers.  Lots of people other than Youtubers have been vocal about this (and not the trolls on the their forums.)  If you would like to discuss this further PM me. This a Lotro forums not our personal bitching ground.  This is not me giving up but I'm sure everyone here doesn't want to hear the 100 reasons I have for not liking Hearthstone the game or Overwatch the concept.  You know people flamed me for hating pokemon too but it never made me say it was a great game!

Let's get back to flaming Turbine about their poor launch.  lol

Not really.  Since you played during WOTLK would you say that WOD has far more content (just released from 6.0 - 6.2.3) than WOTLK (3.0-3.3.5) ? 

Well, let's do the math.

From 3.0-3.3.5, there were 52 boss encounters in major raids.

From 6.0-6.2.3, there have been 30 bosses in major raids.

But from 3.0-3.3.5 was 20 months (November 2008 - June 2010)

From 6.0-6.2.3 will be 12 months (November 2014 - November 2015).

52/20 = 2.6/month

30/12 = 2.5/month

So the rate of raid content release is nearly equal, within 4%...

On the other hand, in WotLK, a lot of things were different.  A number of raids (e.g. Naxxramus - 15 of the 52 encounters counted above) had only normal difficulty. Naxx was a sort of "training wheels" raid that serves a similar purpose to today's LFR and normal mode.  Naxx was also a revamp of an earlier raid, as was Onyxia (also counted among the 52 bosses).  By my count (based on WoWhead), there are only 31 WotLK boss encounters with heroic mode.

Now there are four difficulties.  The lowest one can be accessed from the dungeon-finder, and the two middle ones support flexible groups of any size from 10-30.  And all raids have a high-difficulty mode, now called mythic.  If the WoD content is accessible to more players (which it certainly is now), and has higher difficulty levels with better loot (i.e. relevant to more players), it doesn't seem entirely fair to compare directly, but even if you do, there is virtually no difference in the rate of content.

Disclaimer: I was still levelling during WotLK, and did not raid in WoW until Cata.

Edit: Back on topic, I logged in yesterday and walked around/AFKed in Minas Tirith for about 30 minutes without crashing, so maybe the hotfix did improve something.  My enthusiasm for doing two new epic battles is exactly zero, however...

I just laugh at the state of this thread.

Anyone thinking you can have a reasonable discussion with nosam is deluding themselves.

He lacks reading comprehension skills, likes to make rash statements only to backtrack when challenged on it. There's plenty of evidence relating to this on these forums. Just put the guy on ignore already and save yourself the hassle.

• Upvote 1

I just laugh at the state of this thread.

Anyone thinking you can have a reasonable discussion with nosam is deluding themselves.

He lacks reading comprehension skills, likes to make rash statements only to backtrack when challenged on it. There's plenty of evidence relating to this on these forums. Just put the guy on ignore already and save yourself the hassle.

Thanks for being rude. This is the definition of ad hominem.

The background of your comment is that when I was disagreeing with Lord Vorontur about some of his conservative, anti-muslim views, he started to make personal insults. Classy.

Edited by nosam9

Talking about Lotro is starting to remind me of Monopoly.  What starts out as a fun, family friendly game very quickly turns into a bloody fist fight on the driveway.  

Let's just hope nobody has noticed how many notes I've stolen from the banker in the meantime...