LOTROCommunity
WargiePlushToy

Does ESO have challenging enough gameplay for a duo to level together?

Having been burned by LOTRO and now SWTOR with the game suddenly being made Hello Kitty easy overnight, I'm now in the market for another game.  Yes, I know I said in my SWTOR gripe thread that I was done with MMOs.  But there's just not that much out there that is coop AND not an FPS.  We were thinking of playing Torchlight II together.  However, I suspect blowing up skeletons hour after hour in roughly the same ol' cartoony scenery might get old real fast.  The demo was fun, but I don't think the longevity is there.  That doesn't mean if I play yet another MMO, that I'll ever trust the company.  I am willing to lower my expectations now and am fully prepared to log in one evening to find my spell-casting elf/hunter character turned into a Smurf because some executive thought it would make more money.

Anyway, I did play ESO during the open beta, but I had felt that a $60 box plus a sub was asking too much for what it was.  Now that the sub requirement has been dropped, I'm more open to it.  Does ESO in its present state offer enough difficulty for two (or possibly more) people to level together from start to finish without feeling too tiresomely easy?  Are there any caveats I should know about?  Also, any pluses that would help me decide in favor?  

If it helps to give you a point of reference, I had felt SWTOR offered just the right amount of difficulty and interesting combat.  Not too easy for two people, but obviously still soloable.  Required me to press more than two buttons.  Well, it had been that way until companions got super-boosted with 4.0.  Now my player character is the sidekick to my overpowered companion.  But I digress.  The bottom line is, I don't mind a game being somewhat easy some of the time.  Just as long as I can't kill a horde of orcs wearing nothing but my toon's underwear and armed with naught but my Mathom Society frying pan.  Or, alternatively, watching my SWTOR companion wipe out everything before I have a chance to fire off one of my own skills.

Thanks in advance!

No idea about ESO now.   Seemed created for solo play in questing in beta when I've played.

Anyway for co-op game you may want to check Divinity:Original Sin.   Co-op for two persons was one of it's selling points.

Does ESO in its present state offer enough difficulty for two (or possibly more) people to level together from start to finish without feeling too tiresomely easy? 

I have been playing ESO since beta and currently have 3 vet 16s, a Templar healer, a Nighblade, and a Dragonknight, and then a Sorc at v12.   To say the game is challenging from 1-50 was laughable even in beta, frankly - let alone now.  It is beyond faceroll easy to level the entire game solo all the way to cap, even in the crappiest gear.

The only time you need anyone, and a decent set up, is if you want to complete on-level 4 man dungeons, and even some of those you can solo, depending on your build.  Vet dungeons on the other hand, for daily pledges, are more difficult but only by the degree to which you learn the mechanics, which can be done usually in one run and then instantly they are on farm as the mechanics are always - and I mean always - the same tripe, just in different order sadly.

That's it.  There are no actual raids in ESO, despite all the BS people may want to throw at you about 12 man Trials.  Hel Rah Citadel and Atherian Archives are super easy since they have been nerf-batted so many times, and as is are now completely obsolete, and Sanctum Ophidia, which is the only 12 man moderately on par with raids you may have seen in other games, is really a snooze fest once you have done it even once all the way through.

Are there any caveats I should know about?

At this point, the game has become a total joke of a grind fest for Champion Points, since they never did away with Veteran Ranks as they claimed they would.  You grind, grind, grind XP to get the points to progress your build - which in turn makes PvE even more faceroll since they continue to fail miserably at attuning the content to account for them.  

The new White Gold Tower Run and Imperial City 4 mans in Imperial City DLC were supposed to be the pinnacle of difficulty added into the game upon the DLC's release, but there was SO much fucking bitching from casuals when it went live that they nerfed it to hell already twice.

Orisinium DLC now is the same. So much griping from people wanting to solo everything, so they released a solo Arena, Maelstrom Arena and of course, yet AGAIN, the bitch-fest that the Veteran mode is too hard, waaaa waaaa!! and that no one can complete it.  I did it on the test server on all my first try using templates for god sake, and trust me I am NOT an uber elite type of player by any stretch of the imagination.

The worst part about Champion Points is that is has totally destroyed PvP being worth anyone's time, save for the top 5% that have racked up a huge pool of CPs.  Oh and here is the best part!  They are now capping CPs by DLC release basically.  There are many people, me included, that got upwards of 600 CPs since the system started and with Orsinium they took them away.  They are limited until the next release comes, whenever the fuck that is.

Also, any pluses that would help me decide in favor?

I think if you enjoyed Elder Scrolls, the 1-50 game is certainly fun to do and worth seeing for the beautiful world and some of the quests are really a fun experience.  But once you hit Vet ranks, it is an entirely different game and not much fun to be found if you intend at all to become group minded given the constant changing of core systems, jacking around with you builds, etc. that the devs keep making.

The game has not been live even two years and they have raised the cap four times, thrown CPs account wide and then in the trash, itemization is for shit, and PvP is not longer a worthwhile investment....

If it helps to give you a point of reference, I had felt SWTOR offered just the right amount of difficulty and interesting combat.  Not too easy for two people, but obviously still soloable.  Required me to press more than two buttons.  Well, it had been that way until companions got super-boosted with 4.0.  Now my player character is the sidekick to my overpowered companion.  But I digress.  The bottom line is

, I don't mind a game being somewhat easy some of the time.  Just as long as I can't kill a horde of orcs wearing nothing but my toon's underwear and armed with naught but my Mathom Society frying pan.  Or, alternatively, watching my SWTOR companion wipe out everything before I have a chance to fire off one of my own skills.

Thanks in advance!

last time casuals bitched about the dungeon being to hard in TSW they went and increased the difficulty, lol.

Interesting read, I just started this game, couldnt really follow GW2 at all and D3 isnt something I can do day in day out.  Im enjoying it casually for sure so I cant answer about playing a few hours a day or running with a friend.

My biggest gripe for sure in my limited and very casual experience is where is the fucking AH??  This guild crap blows to me

On 11/28/2015, 2:41:59, Altreg01 said:

Interesting read, I just started this game, couldnt really follow GW2 at all and D3 isnt something I can do day in day out.  Im enjoying it casually for sure so I cant answer about playing a few hours a day or running with a friend.

My biggest gripe for sure in my limited and very casual experience is where is the fucking AH??  This guild crap blows to me

Yeah it does, in several ways, but on the other hand once you learn how to best work them you can get some very good deals but it takes a LOT of effort to know how.

Since the game allows you to join up to 5 guilds, your best bet is to find one for playing content and use the other four for trading, and I do mean buying/selling only.  Becoming a member of a decent, and large, trading guild will save you loads of traveling around and research time since usually that part of the equation tends to be done by some of the officers organizing items for the inventory and for scouting bid locations.  A good way to scope this out is by paying attention to the guilds which regularly have NPCs representing them at the major hubs in each faction since those spots are the most expensive to bid on.  Some of the choice locations used to have more "raiding" minded guilds posting and they offered more choice wares, but since many have left the game, the spots have mostly been taken over by the wealthier trading guilds.  These are the ones you want to join.  By doing this you can then sell and buy more stuff at more competitive prices.

Aside from the above, yes the system is really wonky.  Players have been asking for a global AH since beta but devs are adamant that they will not add this to the game, so we have what we have economy-wise.   At launch, bots were a MASSIVE issue they took months to lock down, which did a number of the cost of most tempers and max ranked mats, and there is something of a resurgence of this again with Orsinium, though they are quieter about the issue than before since (I suspect...) some of the botting is likely not really happening by outside gold farmers this time but by some of the trading guilds in game.... can't prove it, just a hunch based on the cost to mat ratio of TV stones and mats in IC, and also now with mats in Orisinium being pitifully difficult to find, even after farming for hours.  It will likely get flagged and caught as before, but the damage to the economy is not a good result....

The main thing about this game, is that after you have played it a while especially at cap - and then begin to compare that with how other MMOs work, suddenly the others don't look as bad in terms of main systems integral to what MMOs are ( or should be) all about.  Sometimes trying to re-invent the wheel is not really creative - it's just fuel for failure.