5.) Arkenstone

6.) Landroval

7.) Laurelin

8.) Belegaer

9.) Gladden

10.) Sirannon

lotro-us5-gauge-0-day.png

lotro-eu5-gauge-0-day.png

with the scheduled server closures on April 4th.  will be interesting to see just what is left that can be added to the remaining 10.  even though most have transferred by now, there are still some stragglers.

lotro-closing-gauge-0-day.png

Original post from November 2 2015 below:

Ranking by # of Logins:

1.) Brandywine  (43,712)

2.) Evernight     (38,791)

3.) Arkenstone  (36,705)

4.) Landroval    (36,069)

5.) Gwahir         (33,643)

6.) Crickhollow  (31,879) currently the recommended server.

7.) Gladden       (26,346)

8.) Laurelin       (26,047)

9.) Sirannon      (25,984)

10.)Belegaer     (21,642)

during both Evernight & Arkenstone status as recommended, they surpassed Brandywine, losing that status has caused them to fall into 2nd & 3rd respectively.

Crickhollow being the current recommended has also risen significantly, as prior to receiving that recommended status, it ranked just behind Sirannon & has risen considerably.  though it does not look like it will gain much more beyond its current position.

as long as Brandywine status is currently locked to incoming, it would seem to me now that the recommended status sits on a VERY small server, it would be safe to open one more round of transfers prior to the new hardware upgrade.

one other thing of note, whilst some servers (generally the EU) seem to have brief peaks that are high concurrency, the low points are also more prominent thereby dropping the total averages.  whereas a server like Brandywine never seems to fall below 400 concurrent users without an actual downtime.

one other thing of note, whilst some servers (generally the EU) seem to have brief peaks that are high concurrency, the low points are also more prominent thereby dropping the total averages.  whereas a server like Brandywine never seems to fall below 400 concurrent users without an actual downtime.

The EU servers span --geographically-- over a smaller number of time zones and are populated mostly by people from these time zones, whereas the US servers will have a higher % of "all over the world" players. Thus the EU population seems 'synchronized' in its activity, while the US is more spread out.

On 11/2/2015, 11:01:34, Danchir said:

The EU servers span --geographically-- over a smaller number of time zones and are populated mostly by people from these time zones, whereas the US servers will have a higher % of "all over the world" players. Thus the EU population seems 'synchronized' in its activity, while the US is more spread out.

that does seem to be the most likely explanation.  it is still surprising just how hard they get hit in the off peak.  also the consecutive hours where peaks are over a certain threshold of players is also fairly short...  usually just a couple hours.

regardless, even if the next EU up Maiar was to pour entirely into Gwaihir (and not also spill into the current smallest Belegaer) the addition would still be shy of Brandywine, which is currently off its peak from even a month ago.

likewise, Imladris would have to move in entirety to either Arkenstone, or Landroval for either of those servers to pass Brandy.

whilst i have heard a good size chunk of Imladris intends to move to Landroval...  that server will still split among the remainders.

if American Thanksgiving is still the date that is on target for new data-center hosting, they really could afford to queue the next 2 for transfers now.  there is room.

a snapshot graphic from Castorix showing the remaining 10:

39936510servers2015110317H.jpg

the drop in percentage on Arkenstone from losing the recommended status, is paralleled with Evernight drop when they lost that status.

additionally Crickhollow now being recommended has pretty much exhausted the benefit of that status, as the gains generated have mostly been added and due to new player churn / turnover Crickhollow will VERY likely not gain any new momentum, short of additional servers being opened to transfers.

& i say this with both the Harvest Festival being active & the New Update just released.  yet Brandywine with no incoming transfers & active outgoing transfers still sits out front.

it is time to add Imladris & Miair to the transfer queue.

On 11/2/2015, 6:08:00, Almagnus1 said:

I find it interesting how the NA servers tend to be more tightly grouped than the EU ones.

Evernight & Gwaihir are significantly larger than the 2 EU role-play & one French server, which sit behind the smallest North American currently, Gladden.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2015, 10:13:45, Almagnus1 said:

Can you create a graphic that shows suriviving/closing population?  That will give us some idea of how far along we are with the server transfers.

i don't make the graphs.  Castorix is the man who seems to be able to do them on the fly.

as to how far along, easily 3/4.  much higher if you only account for active population.  but if current transfers proceed, French and German (closing) servers are all open now.  English EU (closing) servers should be all open by next week.  & NA the week following.  as far as when they will start actually shuttering the scheduled to close worlds...  that still seems in flux.  it could be as late as Spring 2016.  but if they don't do it all at once, it could certainly start earlier.

regardless, the chart you request...  IMO would not be all that useful as it only gives a vague idea of those still active.  we have no indicator of how many accounts/characters are going into cold storage when those servers marked to close actually do.

additionally, i think there is going to be a sizable portion of players who will consolidate their characters.  i've already deleted a few myself, and will no doubt delete a couple more before this is all over.  i can certainly imagine a segment who merely had characters on every server just for name preservation.  the bulk of that will likely no longer be necessary.

anyway, thought i'd update the current numbers, as the original posts are out of date.

Current as of November 30 2015:  (since the last reset)

1.)  Brandywine (181,094)

2.)  Gwahir        (173,907)

3.)  Crickhollow (170,207) *still recommended & has gained 3 spots since the beginning of November.

4.)  Arkenstone (145,233)

5.)  Evernight    (143,109) *now that Winthywindle is open & Snowbourn next week, this one should climb again.

6.)  Landroval   (116,300 + approx. 20,000 additional logs reset on Friday November 20 2015.)

7.)  Gladden     (108,234)

8.)  Belegaer    (105,362)

9.)  Laurelin     ( 97,934)

10.) Sirannon  ( 94,155)  *anyway you slice it, this is going to be the smallest server of the remaining 10.

lotro-alle-gauge-1-week.png

of the remaining, the ones with about half the numbers of the last place Sirannon, are the servers yet to open for transfers.

Snowbourn is the top with of the closing list @ 47,043

next is Meneldor @ 34,478

then Vilya @ 32,242

and Silverlode @30,422 *which opens up tomorrow (December 1st 2015.) and Withywindle opened today - 29,765 and both these will drop as the days pass.

13 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

You think Turbine's gonna count the beans and axe off the RP servers, if they don't start taking on population?

no.  the hardware and bandwidth doesn't need to be distributed evenly among the remaining 10.

the lowest of the remaining 10 is the French Sirannon, which is roughly half the size of Brandywine.  & the largest remaining of the closing servers is Snowbourn, which is roughly half the size of Sirannon.

given that Sirannon only has a small pool of players left to draw from as transfers proceed:

proportion-pie-fr.png

nothing significant enough to move it higher than last place 10th.

if anything was at risk, it would be the French translation.  if Warner has somehow managed to streamline language translation across their larger platform, it may never be an issue, but if left solely to Turbine that is what would seem to be at risk of a cut first, if continuing to produce was the action.

and having 3 big, (Brandywine, Evernight & Gwaihir) is completely doable:  just look at the peak player concurrency they have now:

lotro-population-brandywine.pnglotro-population-evernight.pnglotro-population-gwaihir.png

and even though Gwaihir will still gain some, ALL German closing servers are now open.  So having 3 servers set up to handle peaks of around 2000-2500 players should be well within the capacity of the new hardware. & in the case of Gwaihir that peak is brief; currently they are above 1000 concurrency for just under 6 hours of the day and approach the 2000 mark for just a couple hours.

i really don't think it is an issue that a 2, 3 or even 4 of the remaining servers might remain below 1000 peak concurrency.  & that recommended status can bounce between Crickhollow, Arkenstone & Gladden as needed.

even if the others don't grow much more, they are still at least double what the largest of the closing worlds had for well past the last couple years.  so i don't think there is much of an issue really.

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

Yeah, that does make sense.

Maybe the next round of server consolidations will occur on the NA side, as I can see the bean counters wanting to retain the special flagging because it shows LotRO has X, Y, and Z servers types.  I doubt we've seen the last round of server consolidations, and it will be interesting to see if Brandywine doesn't become a super-massive server once people are able to transition as they wish after we get moved onto the new hardware.

Then again, trying to predict what the bean counters do can be utterly futile, as no one really knows how their warped logic works....

It sounds to me that they'll run 10 servers until they run none. I'm not sure what they get by consolidating down the road that they couldn't do by consolidating more right now.

8 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

It sounds to me that they'll run 10 servers until they run none. I'm not sure what they get by consolidating down the road that they couldn't do by consolidating more right now.

I agree with this. What happens now will probably be the last major shuffle in lotro until the lights go off (either closing or true maintenance mode indefinitely after 2017).

I doubt they'll ever go in true maintenance mode. I think with 2/3 developers (1 world builder, 1 quest-builder, 1 instances/skirmishes/bb/special landscapemobs etc builder) they can keep on adding regions, and thus quest packs and LI-cap-raises, indefinitely. There are enough regions they can add to the game and enough people willing to buy those xpacs. 

My guess is it will be maintenance-light or shut-down.

On 12/2/2015, 8:02:12, Thrabath said:

I think with 2/3 developers (1 world builder, 1 quest-builder, 1 instances/skirmishes/bb/special landscapemobs etc builder) they can keep on adding regions, and thus quest packs and LI-cap-raises, indefinitely.

1 intern could do it. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

well with all but one of the closing servers open for transfers, things are getting interesting finally, here is the latest positioning of the remaining 10 servers:

1.) Arkenstone  *looks like a big contingent from Meneldor is pushing Arkenstone out in front.

2.) Landroval

3.) Crickhollow *just edging Brandywine by a small margin.

4.) Brandywine

5.) Gwaihir  *not much behind Brandywine.

6.) Evernight  *when Snowbourn queues up this Monday, this one should climb alot.

7.) Gladden

8.) Laurelin

9.) Belegaer

10.) Sirannon

will be interesting to see what shifts remain as the servers scheduled to close actually shut down.

so Brandywine finally slips out of front spot,

anyway, i will edit the first post with the latest so the current is always at the top as well.

Can't even post a "sinking Titanic" picture for this game anymore... it would be way overrated.

I recently though to myself "too bad we can't sell those accounts". Mine isn't awesome anymore by today's standards, but has a lifetime sub and a ton of Turbine Points.

There's a law in Europe about digital goods which allows to sell them, but I'm sure Turbine would still find a crappy way to ban the account.

well, apparently having a downtime during EU/RU can skew early numbers, already things have changed:

1.) Gwaihir

2.) Brandywine

3.) Arkenstone

4.) Landroval

5.) Crickhollow

6.) Evernight

7.) Gladden

8.) Laurelin

9.) Belegaer

10.) Sirannon

with Snowbourn opening Monday, the top 6 should be very close together as far as numbers...

If you try bringing up the Arkenstone ascendancy on Brandywine, several responses happen:

- "Those stats are inaccurate"

- "That site gives you a virus"

- "That site is run by 'super trolls' that tweak the data"

Denial is a sad thing.

5 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

If you try bringing up the Arkenstone ascendancy on Brandywine, several responses happen:

- "Those stats are inaccurate"

- "That site gives you a virus"

- "That site is run by 'super trolls' that tweak the data"

Denial is a sad thing.

i'd hazard guessing Meneldor has really pushed Arkenstone recently & Vylya -> Landroval.  and depending on time of day certain servers peak at unique times, they are still close enough since the last reset, that there is shift between Brandy & Arken & even Gwaihar to a degree.  i also think come Monday Snowbourn will push Evernight much higher than it currently sits.

but yes Arkenstone is doing incredibly well considering when all this started it was the smallest of the 10 & now it is one of the largest.

as for naysayers, ultimately if ones position does not align with reality, reality always has the final say.  they may be smug today, but that inevitable serving of crow, only becomes much more enjoyable to watch as time passes.  cross checking in actual game, those sites numbers are sufficiently accurate.  & whilst an exact concurrency isn't always perfectly accurate from an extrapolation, it more often than not, is reasonably so.  & the actual login data is accurate.

so not to worry, just see the denial:

a4496036-5f58-450a-876d-5a21b33dbc95.jpg

and have a good laugh.  ;)

as for the rankings,  i'll update after the weekend, as the flux this close to the reset should be less so as the numbers should space out each placement.

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

It's good to see the NA servers clustered tightly together, but I find it odd that Gladden is lagging behind the other servers NA servers so badly.

Any thoughts on why that is?

Gladden has been a bit smeared IMO, and whilst not entirely off base, not exactly a clear picture either.

Gladden saw a fairly decent turn at being the recommended server. & in addition to being the recommended server for a decent stint, it is also (permanently) the recommended server on STEAM.  so there are a good chunk of newer players there, especially players who are STEAM users who happened to try LotRO, rather than LotRO players first who adopted STEAM.  i think this colors the perception of the server.

what is unfortunate, is Gladden is also known for its mature (older) & friendly population...  or at least it used to be.  but that former reputation predates FTP & in the time since that community was established, it has diminished over time.  & that older reputation has been somewhat eclipsed by the recommended status & STEAM users.

so if i'd hazzard a guess, that is why it is getting overlooked.  but if Crickhollow wasn't currently recommended, i'd say that Crickhollow would be about even with Gladden for population.  prior to getting the recommended tag, Crickhollow was actually lower on the rankings for players than Gladden.

anyway, that old core of what made Gladden, Gladden back in the day, is still there.

right now however, of the North American 5 servers, it is the smallest.  the moment Turbine switches it to recommended though, it will bounce right up to where Crickhollow is currently.

and the gap isn't that bad really as it is roughly between 150-250 concurrency lower depending on the time of day.  so it is still bigger than Arkenstone "was" back before this whole transfer process started, by roughly 200 concurrency.

While people were evaluating and scouting where to go when it was announced that Imladris would be among the going down, Gladden happened to earn the reputation of a "toxic pvp server." Regardless of authenticity (see below) it stuck and eventually the Imadristrim basically went to Crick (en masse) and Landy (piecemeal.) That may have had and effect, but I also think it's mostly Crick being recommended...

Having mains on Landy, an active foothold on Crick and lurking often enough on Gladden my observation is that they are all but mostly identical after the mergers. All previous tags of reputation, even if they were true at any time, are now invalid.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Urwendil said:

While people were evaluating and scouting where to go when it was announced that Imladris would be among the going down, Gladden happened to earn the reputation of a "toxic pvp server." Regardless of authenticity (see below) it stuck and eventually the Imadristrim basically went to Crick (en masse) and Landy (piecemeal.) That may have had and effect, but I also think it's mostly Crick being recommended...

Having mains on Landy, an active foothold on Crick and lurking often enough on Gladden my observation is that they are all but mostly identical after the mergers. All previous tags of reputation, even if they were true at any time, are now invalid.

When Landy opened up for transfers off a while back, I moved all my characters from there to Gladden.  When I was able to move off my main world, I went to Crick.  I agree with you that they seem to be pretty much the same these days, no matter what they may have been like before.  Welcome to the forum! :w

On 12/12/2015 at 10:56 PM, Urwendil said:

the thing is, those reputations on many of the low population servers have been invalid since well before the launch of the Helms Deep expansion.  Sure there was a 2 week bump in player turn out at HD launch, but it died off faster than ANY previous expansion.  & lets face it, since about 3 months post the launch of Riders of Rohan, things really started to slip to the point of no return on the smallest of servers.

i personally thought Nimrodel had faded beyond recognition for me about 6 months after the launch of Rise of Isenguard.  i don't know if it was the same for other servers, but that is when i started to feel like Turbine needed to merge servers.  when Riders of Rohan launched, i was convinced, as even though that expansion did cause an increase in activity from the period directly before, it was no where near what i was used to from the old days, or even the Launch of free to play, or the RoI expansion.

that is why something as simple as becoming the recommended server could completely eclipse the old identity of ANY small server.  Gladden in many ways was unrecognizable from its early self, long before the mergers started.

additionally, the attrition of players from Launch of the actual game to the content drought post Siege of Mirkwood combined with the influx of players at the launch of FTP was a huge factor in the loss of all the unique identities.  having been snooping on ALL English speaking servers since June of 2014.  that identity crisis has existed for much longer than since these transfers started.

so it is of little surprise to me, that the "sameness" is the impression now.  that sameness was something i've been experiencing since i started to focus on populations for well over a year now.

I began playing after RoI, not too long before Great River was released. Imladris was doing well. By all signs it changed little post-Rohan, at least as far as I observed (not that I was caring too much at the time.) But post-HD it started going downhill and never stopped...

I'm not new (post-merger) to Landy. It was my second server for well over a year. I think it did have its air and character, probably mostly owing to the RE tag. It feels -to me- more generic since the mergers, though the music scene is even livelier thanks to incoming groups.

I transferred over from Snowbourn to Evernight yesterday. Got a familiar pang of disappoint logging into my old main and finding it was still broken. Then logged into PvP, ganged a minstrel, an afk beorning, then got wrecked by 5k dots from both a warden and a loremaster. Logged back out from the broken PvP.

All in all, transfer seemed to work, even if the game is still shite.

Evernight is a disaster in too many aspects at the moment. 

Pvp is a zerg ridden, healfest slideshow where you can use a skill every 20 - 40 seconds if you survive the GV camp that long. Rip solo play.

Multiple layers in so many places now that there is a 20 second lapse when you load to a new area where everyone is naked and the npcs are like union workers coming back from lunch breaks.. very slow. It's like waiting for the old dial up connections to load in a picture sometimes.

Bank/Vault every third transaction is a general error or you've are going too fast, slow down, even if I only clicked one thing.

World chat.. good fucking god. We need to get in the way back machine and make that go away.It's a troll fest and not even in any way, shape or form conducive for any positive aspect to the game. If I just joined this game and was assaulted from the second I logged in with that utter tripe, I'd log out and never ever come back. Not ever. Even more so if English wasn't my primary language, as most of them find themselves banished immediately from /world by the chat police in a monstrously rude manner into language specific internment camps and told to not ever come back.

Freeze lag in instances and HUGE lag spikes where movement is impossible. Skill delay, slideshows.. impossible to even move for long periods of time.

They turned a small, unassuming.. dead... server into this supermega, troll infested, wasteland that's now like having a vacation in hell. And the worst part is, there is no place for us to go except an RP server to escape it.