LOTROCommunity

10 remaining Servers & size...

LasraelLarson

4 minutes ago, Danys said:

Evernight is a disaster in too many aspects at the moment. 

Pvp is a zerg ridden, healfest slideshow where you can use a skill every 20 - 40 seconds if you survive the GV camp that long. Rip solo play.

Multiple layers in so many places now that there is a 20 second lapse when you load to a new area where everyone is naked and the npcs are like union workers coming back from lunch breaks.. very slow. It's like waiting for the old dial up connections to load in a picture sometimes.

Bank/Vault every third transaction is a general error or you've are going too fast, slow down, even if I only clicked one thing.

World chat.. good fucking god. We need to get in the way back machine and make that go away.It's a troll fest and not even in any way, shape or form conducive for any positive aspect to the game. If I just joined this game and was assaulted from the second I logged in with that utter tripe, I'd log out and never ever come back. Not ever. Even more so if English wasn't my primary language, as most of them find themselves banished immediately from /world by the chat police in a monstrously rude manner into language specific internment camps and told to not ever come back.

Freeze lag in instances and HUGE lag spikes where movement is impossible. Skill delay, slideshows.. impossible to even move for long periods of time.

They turned a small, unassuming.. dead... server into this supermega, troll infested, wasteland that's now like having a vacation in hell. And the worst part is, there is no place for us to go except an RP server to escape it.

i don't mind the world chat, although i will say it was amazing how many people made it to my ignore list within the first week lol

as for the lag and performance issues, it's pathetic.  from an EU perspective this may be the nail in the coffin for this game.  we have another hot-fix today (i think the third one in almost as many weeks), for their sake, i hope Turbine does something to increase the performance on Evernight.

1 hour ago, Danys said:

Freeze lag in instances and HUGE lag spikes where movement is impossible. Skill delay, slideshows.. impossible to even move for long periods of time.

Isn't the latest that they won't get the new server hardware running until January some time. So they are going to make everyone play with these problems during the holiday.

I didn't have that many problems, a little more lag then normally, but I haven't played instances yet. So it's hard to say. I think my transfer took 3-4 hours.

I do have heard a lot complaining and I totally ignored world chat. I also had layers/ reduced awareness most of the time, haven't had that for a really long time.

so downtime, might as well do this now.

Rankings by logins of the remaining 10 servers:

1.) Crickhollow  (122,419)  *currently recommended server, though with today's downtime there may be another reset & potentially the server order could get shuffled making Gladden the new recommended.  should that happen, this one will slide back down.

2.) Brandywine (121,923)

3.) Gwaihir (121,007)

4.) Arkenstone (117,856)

5.) Landroval (115,940)

6.) Evernight (112,505) *with the last EU server scheduled to close, (Snowbourn) this one has already increased, but it usually takes the first weekend passing for the bulk of players to complete transfers. it should easily move up, especially with a reset.

7.) Gladden (81,870)  *i wonder if this will get shuffled to the first server spot as recommended with today's downtime?

8.) Laurelin (79,943)

9.) Belegaer (71,836)

10.) Sirannon (59,116)

lotro-us5-gauge-1-week.pnglotro-eu5-gauge-1-week.png

it does look that the top 5 servers, plus the recommended are shaping up to be fairly tightly clustered.  even though the new hardware looks to be at least a month away, lets hope todays downtime  provides them more opportunities to adjust the existing hardware (somehow the statements about new hardware, read to me as shifting bandwidth from closing worlds, rather than upping the actual number of physical machines) to handle the shifting loads...

cause if you have been paying attention for a while now, the only server with new record concurrency is Gwaihir, (well since launch of FTP and RoI, anyway...)

Evernight & Brandywine (and both Crickhollow & Gladden during past stints as recommended) have ALL had higher numbers than today's in the not so distant past.

On 12/14/2015 at 0:01 PM, Urwendil said:

I began playing after RoI, not too long before Great River was released. Imladris was doing well. By all signs it changed little post-Rohan, at least as far as I observed (not that I was caring too much at the time.) But post-HD it started going downhill and never stopped...

I'm not new (post-merger) to Landy. It was my second server for well over a year. I think it did have its air and character, probably mostly owing to the RE tag. It feels -to me- more generic since the mergers, though the music scene is even livelier thanks to incoming groups.

ah, i see.  yeah Imladris was one of the 4 new North American servers that launched with Free to Play in September/November 2010... Patch notes for Update 1 

so that community began its Genisis a full 3+ years after the games launch in April of 2007.  2007 Official Game Launch

the 4 newer servers (Crickhollow, Dwarrowdelf, Imladris & Riddermark) really would not have felt a major shift until Helms Deep.

but for the older servers...   anyone who has played since Shadows of Angmar times has seen the dramatic shifts.  times when Evendim with it's 3 (6 man) instances (Ost Elendil, Haudh Valandil & Glinghiant) & Forochel were free landmass additions. (granted, w/sub to access.)  we've been through the natural waxing and wain of Expansion & update content & seen the slow attrition with each passing cycle.

post Mirkwood, the content drought as they shifted the game behind the scenes to the new FTP model & the launch of said new model at the end of 2010, followed by the first expansion in the Spring of 2011 (RoI.)  each new cycle would cause the population to surge for a decent 6 month period.  not quite as much as the time before, but still enough that having all those servers wasn't soo terrible.

but when Riders of Rohan launched, the upswing was tangibly diminished & lasted only about 3 months. & of course Helms Deep was even worse.

so indeed the time one started playing will certainly create unique perceptions of how things changed.

for myself, Turbine needed to start consolidating servers 6 months after the launch of Rise of Isenguard.  but they did not do so until just recently.  i think the fact they cut more than half their servers (from 28 down to 10) is telling just how long they waited to make this shift.

regardless, the population peaks of today, are nothing compared to previous years.  for fun reading about a past perspective, check out the player reportings from this link:

http://archive.lotrocommunity.eu/lord-rings-online-general-discussion-424/412924-server-headcount.html

& this above link was right during the content drought post Mirkwood, when players were calling things dead, even though a server like Snowbourn had roughly 3 times the players it has now just prior to opening for transfers.

19 hours ago, LordVorontur said:

Laurelin it is then!

i don't actually recommend that.

whilst Evernight can have lag (as can all servers.) with the exception of PvMP, i believe that lag has more to do with bandwidth commitment allocated by Turbine, than it does directly with crowds.

yes, i too have had vault lag.  i too have had layering whilst in Bree. & i have experienced these lag spikes at random times where it may initially start in a zone or two, but within minutes, propagates through the whole server.  & this has happened for me at one point or another on ALL servers i have spent time on (the English language ones, both EU & NA.)

here is the kicker.  i have also been in Bree (on Evernight) while the player fellowship query panel showed just over 200 players (non anon) in Bree proper & was in the main craft hall with easily 30- 40 players in my immediate view & i had no lag issues whatsoever.

but it can lag on occasion & i have no question PvMP would be an absolute slugtrailfest of skill delay & movement impairment/animation hitching.

so there are different types of experienced lag, from the inability of the actual game engine to handle variables in movement speed (mounted combat) too server memory issues & bandwidth (vault & auction hall lag) or situations where mobs like Draigoch, or skirmish soldiers in epic battles who've followed a mob away from the aura of their captain/commander NPC go braindead, or when instances that spawn waves of mobs just stall out (& you fail the encounter) or basic crafting delays & legendary item interactions at forge & relic masters where you'll get micro delays...  & on and on.

you are going to get this on any server currently.  it gets worse if Turbine haven't shifted bandwidth & virtual resources to the places where the demand is highest... & in situations like mounted combat (with movement speed variables) or the moors (with unique landmass grid structures) or an abundance of calculations for buffs & debuffs displayed across players numbers with a global distribution where extreme distances & player pings also factor...

if i boil it down to a main just of the point i am trying to get across here...  getting good performance (beyond the scope of your physical machine & connection ping provided by your ISP...)  well it is a bit of a coin flip.

attempting to avoid one thing on a server, does not mean you won't run head long into it on another.

and as for trolls...  there are nice people on EVERY SERVER!  trolls tend to be directly proportional to population.

yes the smaller the server, the less trolls (generally speaking.)  thing i find is on a quieter server, there is also less chat, the the troll actually doesn't scrollaway as fast. & if folk aren't grouping and being social... on a small server that troll chat can be the only thing you see at times. but i suppose the upside is it is less taxing on the ignore feature, should you need it.  ;)

regardless, whatever you do chose, if you aren't feeling it, there will be at least one more opportunity to change for free, if you need to & here is that schedule:

Data Center Update and Free Transfer Period Announcement

While we are still working through some kinks in upgrading from 32-bit to 64bit Operating Systems for our new hardware, we have come to the last of the list of opening closing worlds for transfer. On Dec 14th Snowbourn will be opened for transfer.

All closing worlds will then be available for transfer.

We will also be offering Free transfers between remaining worlds following the below schedule.

• Dec 7th- Jan 3rd: Arkenstone & Gwaihir

• Jan 4th- 10th: Landroval & Belegaer

• Jan 11th- 17th: Crickhollow & Sirannon

• Jan 18th- Jan 24th: Gladden & Laurelin

• Jan 25th- Feb 29th: Brandywine & Evernight

• March 1st- 31st: Arkenstone & Gwaihir

• April 1st - May 1st: Landroval & Belegaer

• May 2nd- May 31st: Crickhollow & Sirannon

• June 1st- 30th: Gladden & Laurelin

Please note that transfers off of closing worlds will remain free permanently regardless of schedule.

All Closing worlds will no longer be available for play on April 4th 2016. Characters will remain available for transfer to an open world.

Once again we are grateful for your patience throughout this process that took longer than any of us expected, but we are very excited about this upgrade and the boosted activity on the top ten worlds and we hope you are as well!

Thank you,

Athena “Vyvyanne” Peters

Executive Producer- Lord of the Rings Online

Ah, thanks for the brief on game's history :) Almost all veterans who still remain more or less note the same shifts. I was leveling way too slowly and trying to keep -by then- 3-4 alts parallel when RoR was launched, so I noticed little if any. (Our kin's first incarnation died out about then but it was due to more domestic reasons...) But come HD I was already in the making as a raiding tank at 85 cap and the aftermath was indeed dramatic. To-day HD seems to me (chiefly in its implementation and the associated marketing bull) the worst thing ever happened to LOTRO.

Pretty soon after going F2P Turbine really stopped caring about putting out good content, and cared a lot about hyping up expansions for pre-orders (without making actually good expansions) and driving people to buy things in the store. The game just got worse and worse after F2P, except for a few small quality of life improvements that any MMO gains over time. To make it worse, Turbine made a lot less game improvements than they would have if they kept a subscription model - because they no longer had an incentive to offer the best possible game to gain subs. People left in droves the years after F2P as the game and expansions got progressively worse. They basically sucked money out of the game and spent as little as possible on improving or maintaining it. 

Now that Infinite Crisis has failed, and they have no other successful game, they are trying to keep Lotro alive while putting all their resources into their new mobile games. If Infinite Crisis was successful I have a feeling they would care a lot less about making sure Lotro stays running. If Lotro shut down or lost most of it's population, they would be a company with only old, shut down, or failed games - which would make the company look bad to everyone on the outside and to WB. I think this is the only reason they are making a little content for Lotro and trying to keep the servers running. But they know - and have decided - there is no future for the game.

On 12/14/2015 at 3:01 PM, Urwendil said:

I began playing after RoI, not too long before Great River was released. Imladris was doing well. By all signs it changed little post-Rohan, at least as far as I observed (not that I was caring too much at the time.) But post-HD it started going downhill and never stopped...

I'm not new (post-merger) to Landy. It was my second server for well over a year. I think it did have its air and character, probably mostly owing to the RE tag. It feels -to me- more generic since the mergers, though the music scene is even livelier thanks to incoming groups.

I have a unique experience as I played on several servers.  I began on Elendilmir when I had zero understanding of what an Oceanic server actually was.  Even being a seasoned WOW player I was just told by friends which server to play on.  And I was on that server for 5 years dabbling on a PVP server from time to time. After not finding a ton of folks on at the times I was on when F2P hit I moved to Windfola.  Since it was the recommended server at the time.  Thinking I would go in as some old pro lol.  That server seemed to die for me around ROI.  That's when I moved one my toons to Meneldor and it was the server I spent the most time on ROI-HD.  About mid HD (fangorn release) I returned to Elendilmir to level a new toon. 

Recently I came back to Riddermark where my nephews main character was on his account.  It certainly wasn't as dreadful as Elendilmir was before I left that during HD.  I remember on Elendilmir trying to level Armorsmithing on my guardian and trying to find save time by buying ore or bars on the AH.  It was dreadful.  Dwarf-Iron 2 auctions no full stacks.  Ancient Iron not a single auction for 2 days.  When one came it was 3 individual ores.  There were other factors like every kin I joined was rebuilding.   Forget about finding a group for anything.  That was the worst I saw as far as server population was concerned. 

Where I saw the biggest hits were during ROI about 1 month after release on Windfola.  Pug groups for Draigoch were horrible and that was why I left.   Then about 3 months after ToO was released two of the larger raiding kins on Meneldor left for Rift (mainly one of the bigger french canadian kins).  Then there was a big dip about 2 months after the ROR raids  were released.  When 2 were closed and the loot system was demoralizing the population.   When I came back for HD in Decemeber about a month after release.  Where my kin was reduced to 12 active players.  With only 5 of us with over level 30 mains.  I came back for Fangorn and it was a little more lively.  On a good night we saw about 20 players.

Helm's Deep and the announcement of no new expansions seemed to do the most damage (finally getting to the point you made).   Class revamps caused a whole lot of people to leave.  They basically gave you the same system Blizzard ditched years ago (circa Cataclysm) only it was poorly implemented with the existing earn traits system.   Anyone who wanted to play their class in a group setting was reduced to using years old content.  PVP continued to be ignored and quest design was absolutely dreadful.  People hated Epic Battle so much Turbine had to hide a trait point behind them to get people to play them.  The game was already on the downhill slide but HD was the final nail in the coffin. 

Diehards will continue on with the minimal updates.  Everyone else will be playing something else.   Further segmenting the MMORPG population (the ones not playing WOW) between multiple games.  GW2, EQ next, Rift, MOBAS, ESO, SWTOR, and whatever new MMO comes out.   Sadly no game has been able to hold it's population even WOW. 

• Upvote 1

I think I'm one of those diehards who will eventually see the lights off. This has been my first MMO (heck, even my first jab at online gaming which I had avoided for unreasonable reasons...). I did try to cheat it though. Peeked at other games getting the most praise from people I read on the OF and here. Still looking when something pops... Haven't found any setting (graphical style, world, models etc.) appealing to my taste. Rift looks OK but somehow I'm not attracted to it otherwise. (WoW and FFXIV are out of the question because of the cartoony/hentai setting etc.)

Seems it will be back to single player for me...

13 hours ago, Thequinn said:

Where I saw the biggest hits were during ROI about 1 month after release on Windfola.  Pug groups for Draigoch were horrible and that was why I left.   Then about 3 months after ToO was released two of the larger raiding kins on Meneldor left for Rift (mainly one of the bigger french canadian kins).  Then there was a big dip about 2 months after the ROR raids  were released.  When 2 were closed and the loot system was demoralizing the population.

I know I always say that HD was the expansion that finally killed off LotRO (cookie-cutter builds, no real end-game, PvP fucked, etc), but RoI was bizarrely one of the more crippling expansions I played.

My old kin (Rising Dawn) was amazing before ToO came out. Even with Draigoch, we got it down to a fine art (not to brag, but I picked up the layout of the tunnels in the first fight, so I led them all to the feet till we all had it sussed). But people got frustrated with the poor loot, the massive difficulty of T2HM (mostly all that trash before bosses), the lag, the bugs, even the slowness of Saruman walking in the lightning fight. It pushed people either away to (surprisingly) SWTOR, or we were getting our best players poached by the pricks at Element Zero. It basically killed the kin and we all ended up going separate ways.

RoR then took the piss with broken, irrelevant lair raids and the pointless rebuilding of that shithole that nobody can spell. When I could solo the hardest landscape warbands, there was an obvious problem. It was my first expansion without a kin, and surprisingly a kin wasn't necessary because everything was either easy to solo or you could just pug it. It at least allowed me to further enhance my champ's tanking line to the point where I was standing side by side with your average guards.

And then HD just ended it all. I truly wish they hadn't have fucked it so badly. Those days from Moria to the end of RoR where I could experiment with builds were some of the best MMO experiences I had.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

And then HD just ended it all. I truly wish they hadn't have fucked it so badly. Those days from Moria to the end of RoR where I could experiment with builds were some of the best MMO experiences I had.

Yeah, the redesign of the classes is something I still don't understand. We had so much freedom, but almost all classes had a unique role that was needed and you could be true hybrids with most classes too, without having to change your setup constantly.

21 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

3 in a row, i am terrible...  but i have a question for Darmokk.

have you stopped bothering with tracking?  this is well out of date:

yearsall.jpg

or is it more existential, in that you can't decide on a new color schema for the new cycle?  ;)

I need to adjust these for the new years since I did it last, they aren't quite readable. However, nothing wrong with firing them up right now.

I also have no idea which servers are turned of and whether this messes up the charting somehow.

They are updated them in their messy form. I'll adjust the x-axis and things when I get a chance. For those who know how to read them you can figure server size and things.

http://wavehh.dyndns.org/lo/

This directory has plain per-server graphs

http://wavehh.dyndns.org/lo/graphs/

Here is the total:  [the editor in this forum stinks, what is it doing?]

%7Boption%7Dplot-all-mean.jpg

On 12/15/2015 at 5:34 AM, Thrabath said:

I'm curious to see what will happen now Snowbourn is open for transfers, are their good statistics for multiple days that can show a sudden increase in evernight f.e.?

well weekend has completed and Snowbourn has risen.  & whilst a reset did occur, the first server in the launcher remains the same.  rankings by login:

1.) Evernight  *just ahead of Crickhollow by a hair

2.) Crickhollow *still recommended

3.) Gwaihir *depending on time of day, this will flip positions with Brandywine

4.) Brandywine

5.) Landroval

6.) Arkenstone

7.) Laurelin *receiving at least some incoming traffic from Snowbourn as it has passed Gladden

8.) Gladden *did not get bumped to first position of recommended in the launcher this reset.

9.) Belegaer

10.) Sirannon

lotro-eu5-gauge-0-day.pnglotro-us5-gauge-0-day.png

24 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

well weekend has completed and Snowbourn has risen.  & whilst a reset did occur, the first server in the launcher remains the same.  rankings by login:

1.) Snowbourn  *just ahead of Crickhollow by a hair

Nice to see we've taken over Evernight so much that it's now called Snowbourn! :P

I wouldn't take the login figures to heart until after Winter-home is turned off, as there is the once-a-day grant of a gift that gives anything from festival tokens to marks/meds to a tier 1 stat tome.  Many will be going through alts to get a chance at the tomes, which will increase logins (WAI).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Dalthalion said:

I wouldn't take the login figures to heart until after Winter-home is turned off, as there is the once-a-day grant of a gift that gives anything from festival tokens to marks/meds to a tier 1 stat tome.  Many will be going through alts to get a chance at the tomes, which will increase logins (WAI).

*waves* Yeah, I'm doing that.  It's all I'm doing, though - not really playing beyond that one winterhome quest on each alt.

1 hour ago, warspeech said:

*waves* Yeah, I'm doing that.  It's all I'm doing, though - not really playing beyond that one winterhome quest on each alt.

If they made Winter-home an open instance that one could join from the Specific Tab of the Instance Finder, then one could do the Winter-home thing and then not have to re-locate from where one is questing/deeding/SLTT.

• 1 month later...

the winter holidays are indeed a boon time for LoTRO & have been pretty much as far back as there are records.  STEAM certainly shows December & January as green (gain months) as long as there are records & this year is no different:

http://steamcharts.com/app/212500#1y

anyway, with January concluded here are the current standings by log-ins among the remaining 10:

lotro-alle-gauge-0-day.png

1.) Evernight    (54,833)

2.) Brandywine (53,915)

3.) Gwaihir       (51,628)

4.) Crickhollow (51,281)

5.) Landroval   (46,685)

6.) Arkenstone (45,556)

7.) Laurelin      (37,449)

8.) Gladden     (32,052)

9.) Belegaer    (31,968)

10.) Sirannon  (26,116)

so it looks like the bulk of the closing servers have now moved & with the EU Snowbourn being the last, Evernight has pushed out in front, by a little.

Crickhollow is still the recommended, but with populations now almost entirely consolidated, even that seems to now not be enough to push it ahead of what are now, "The BIG 3" (Evernight, Brandywine & Gwahair.)

& the French server Sirannon is in a convincing last place.

lotro-population-sirannon.png

one last bit of commentary on my observations, whilst logins are one metric, concurrency overall still seems best on Brandywine as that draws players from the greatest number of time-zones & whilst Arkenstone is unofficially the Oceanic and should also have a good 24 hour population, the vast majority of Russian players who've made Brandy home seem to give this server a more stable average player concurrency.