LOTROCommunity

New Star Trek TV

CBS have announced that they will be making a new TV show starting in 2017.  It will have nothing to do with the next Star Trek film.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34704082

I would like to see them set it after Voyager, perhaps well after maybe 100 or 200 years later.  This would allow for new better technology.  I would also like it to be more about the exploration, like TNG.  Perhaps now they can go to other galaxies thus giving lot of new alien races rather than the same old ones.  It would also allow a new bad guy that is going to be hard to deal with. 

CBS have announced that they will be making a new TV show starting in 2017. 

Good. One more sc-fi series is good, considering sc-fi tv shows coming out in recent years are trash. Sooner or later someone have to make a good one.

It will have nothing to do with the next Star Trek film.

That is best thing that might have happened.   Seriously this "Spock&Kirk+let's make a story begginings again" stuff is so weak it made me cringe when I've first heard about first "new" ST movie few years ago.

Not sure how I feel about this.

I loved TNG and Voyager as teenager, but stopped watching Voyager towards the end as I found it too predictable - we knew they were never going to get home until the last episode. I found most of DS9 boring until the last few series as I hated all the Bajorian stuff.

When Enterprise started, I couldn't get into it. Like Voyager, I found it predictable. You've seen one Trek show, you've seen them all. They all have the same predictable structure to their story telling, The same slow pace and feel. The same characters with no proper personalities. There are no shocks. No one in the main cast is ever in true danger.

I tried to start re-watching TNG and Voyager a couple of years ago and found them to be cringe worthy and boring. I think as you get older you see poor writing, characterisation and  stagnation instantly and demand better.  

I loved the new reboot movies and felt they were just what Trek needed. They gave it life and personality. Yes, they were a little bit silly. But then they are set in space.

If this show was going to be set in the new Trek universe, I'd be very excited.

If it is in the old universe, I can't see it getting very good viewing figures. 

Edited by Mallorn

I tried to start re-watching TNG and Voyager a couple of years ago and found them to be cringe worthy and boring. I think as you get older you see poor writing, characterisation and  stagnation instantly and demand better. 

One of my biggest mistakes was to re-watch Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future many years later, because of nice memories from the childhood. I learned two things: (1) children are stupid and that's normal; (2) never re-watch your childhood favorites because you'll destroy the good memory.

The problem with these kind of shows is that or you have lots of different groups to follow/ many different storylines, so it doesn't feel like 1 show, but multiple shows with the same name, or if you follow only 1 group, which is kind of alone in space, nothing serious can happen to them. Because then you can't have the show anymore. It's very difficult to kill and replace people, because in outer space, there are no replacements available. So they can't be killed/injured/run away.

The problem with these kind of shows is that or you have lots of different groups to follow/ many different storylines, so it doesn't feel like 1 show, but multiple shows with the same name, or if you follow only 1 group, which is kind of alone in space, nothing serious can happen to them. Because then you can't have the show anymore. It's very difficult to kill and replace people, because in outer space, there are no replacements available. So they can't be killed/injured/run away.

The rebooted Battlestar killed off characters all the time. And the ship out on its own without a repair dock visibly degraded over time. Voyager looked pristine for all of its run and the characters barely had any development of its 7 seasons.

Edited by Mallorn

The rebooted Battlestar killed off characters all the time.

That one has multiple ships together, with a lot of people, hasn't it?

The standard Star Trek show has 1 ship with 1 crew with 5-10 characters. Destroying 1 ship in a fleet of multiple ships is a lot less problematic then killing the only ship and crew that's 'available' ;)

That one has multiple ships together, with a lot of people, hasn't it?

The standard Star Trek show has 1 ship with 1 crew with 5-10 characters. Destroying 1 ship in a fleet of multiple ships is a lot less problematic then killing the only ship and crew that's 'available' ;)

Yeah, but Voyager supposedly had a crew of 150.  Plenty of characters there.

Enterprise D, had about 1000 people on board think.

Edited by Mallorn

I didn't see any information about the setting of the series.

TNG, the most successful of the follow-ups to the original, was pretty much the original series "done right" - they consciously avoided similarities in the characters (Picard is nothing like Kirk, Riker is nothing like Spock, Crusher is nothing like McCoy, etc), but the premise was identical (with better writing, acting and special effects).

The others (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) were all based on a gimmick of one sort or another.

It will be interesting to see whether they go the "gimmick" route again, or return to the most successful format of the original series/TNG.

I'm not sure going significantly further into the future would be a good idea, as the level of technology in TNG/Voyager already made them almost god-like.

I'm not sure going significantly further into the future would be a good idea, as the level of technology in TNG/Voyager already made them almost god-like.

If they set it in the past then it will end up like Enterprise where their tech is crap, so god like in the Voyager era or god like further in the future makes no difference.  The setting is what will make the difference.  That why I suggested going to anther galaxy where you could have lots of new aliens with lots of power.  It would also take the show back to its roots of exploration

I didn't see any information about the setting of the series.

TNG, the most successful of the follow-ups to the original, was pretty much the original series "done right" - they consciously avoided similarities in the characters (Picard is nothing like Kirk, Riker is nothing like Spock, Crusher is nothing like McCoy, etc), but the premise was identical (with better writing, acting and special effects).

The others (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) were all based on a gimmick of one sort or another.

It will be interesting to see whether they go the "gimmick" route again, or return to the most successful format of the original series/TNG.

I've personally prefer Voyager.  Yes it's gimmicky, but structure of episodes, acting, etc was more dynamic than earlier ones, but not dynamic enough to make straight 100% action movies that just happen to take place in space instead on the streets of New York like new movies are.

TNG was my second favourite and first ST I saw.  Never like other ones,  they were either too boring or way too simplistic/stupid + "going to the past" like Enterpise.

Anyway you're right - and that is one of the reasons why I would prefer to have completly new big budget space sc-fi tv series instead of new Star Trek. 

"Going back to past" / "restart" is way too boring though,  From those two bads - I personally choose past Voyager future and keep hoping that they solve too advanced / too much has happened in our galaxy already in some good way.

I've personally prefer Voyager.  Yes it's gimmicky, but structure of episodes, acting, etc was more dynamic than earlier ones, but not dynamic enough to make straight 100% action movies that just happen to take place in space instead on the streets of New York like new movies are.

Voyager had the most unlikeable crew ever, not to mention the show made the borg appear far less threatening than they were in TNG (and First Contact)

As for the new show: I hope & pray it's not set in the new nonsene universe that abrahms came up with. It could be based around the Enterprise - B though, since there's not a lot of information about that ship (let's just pretend "Generations" never happend, ok?)

/Edit: Why did you hate Tasha, Spiteful? I liked her (although Worf soon became my new favorite character)

Edited by Frosty

As for the new show: I hope & pray it's not set in the new nonsene universe that abrahms came up with.

CBS owns the TV and IP rights for the "Prime" timeline (TOS, TNG, etc).  Paramount Pictures owns the JJ-Verse.

Much more likely we'll get a Prime timeline series.

Voyager had it's moments but... this is pretty damning...

Complete Inventory of Voyager's Photon Torpedo Stockpile

I think she was a mediocre actress at best and the writers did a terrible job with her lines. Which was to bad because the premise of the character was good. I liked her better as a Romulan.

Kinda like Troi, terrible actress, bad lines. Now Majel Barret really brought character to Betazoids.

It took them quite a while to really make Worf shine. But once that all came together his character was awesome. He was the highlight of DS9, well him and Quark.

But it's entertainment, so a matter of personal preference.

I think she was a mediocre actress at best and the writers did a terrible job with her lines. Which was to bad because the premise of the character was good. I liked her better as a Romulan.

Looking back at season 1, there were a lot of weak moments. Shame we'll never know ... since she wanted to quit and have her character killed off.
At least she said farewell to her fans, which was pretty damn cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZXAAwooVOA

(Watch as the door closes)

Edited by Frosty

Oh yea Season 1 of TNG was very rough but once it gelled it was a very good show. The only real drag was the continual change of Klingon make-up but once they got it it was good, for a while there I thought they should have given Worf's forehead it's own billing, lol.

I was a kid when Star Trek was current and it'll always hold it's special little nostalgic place. TNG was for sure my favorite, DS9 was only watchable because of Worf, Quark, and Odo, although I think Odo didn't come across as well as his character should have. Voyager was my least favorite, I just start laughing every time I think about, they gave a starship to a female Captain and a black Vulcan and now they're lost galaxies away from Earth and in a bad neighborhood.