LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Doro

Paris Attacks

Apparently, the attack on the concert venue is the one where there is a hostage situation. Apparently, this happened during the Eagles of Death Metal gig that was in progress. People are not sure whether band or crew are all safe.

Apparently, the attack on the concert venue is the one where there is a hostage situation. Apparently, this happened during the Eagles of Death Metal gig that was in progress. People are not sure whether band or crew are all safe.

Reports from various people are saying the band is fine, but the full crew is still unaccounted for.

Apparently, at least 100 people have been killed in the concert, with some saying the terrorists were picking off hostages one at a time. Also suggestions of the terrorists throwing bombs at the hostages when the GIGN began their operation.

Watching BBC here. This is really horrible.

Apparently France is closing it's borders now that it's too late. 

The border closing is most likely to try to ensure those involved dont escape

I caught the first reports of shots/explosions just by happenstance as I was browsing the news, and have been following it since then.  I had a feeling the concert hall situation would be bad, but I never thought it would be as bad as they're now saying.  I haven't seen much more about the stadium situation but there are reports of two suicide bombers at that venue. 

More of this crap...

What is it about France? High Moslem population? Their ties to Algeria? Soft cheese? They sure seem to have more than their share of Moslem terrorists.

What is it about France? High Moslem population? Their ties to Algeria? Soft cheese? They sure seem to have more than their share of Moslem terrorists.

First they came for the cartoonists, and I was not a cartoonist... 

• Upvote 2

Around 2 hours after these attacks started, someone desperately tried to circle a rumour that an immigrant camp in Calais was on fire. Turned out it was just old photos and videos being released in an attempt to make it seem that there were victims on both 'sides'.

Hopefully, a wakeup call for the rest of Europe. IS said they'd be sneaking their idiots in with the 'refugees', and they didn't lie.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully, a wakeup call for the rest of Europe. IS said they'd be sneaking their idiots in with the 'refugees', and they didn't lie.

I would not be so sure that attacks was carried out by people who came to Europe in recent months, althrough that is definately possible.

We have to remember though that some of attacks in past was carried out by muslim immigrants who lived in Europe for long years or even by those that were born and raised in Europe, are Europe citizens and even speak with local accent (like those two muslims that killed an UK soldier on the street in UK).

I agree that Europe has to wake up and reevalute itself though.   Sad thing is though that there is no (imho) political option or ideology in Europe (and whole western world) that has real answer to problems we face. 

Edited by drul

Next few weeks will be chaos.

Will France pull out all the stops militarily? (expensive)

Impact on the already chaotic migrant/refugee... ummm... chaos. I have read speculation that at least two of the terrorists were Syrian migrants/refugees.

This sort of act is actually a recruitment tool for the ISIS types... Oh cool! Blow up women, children, small furry animals and a bunch of virgins waiting for me to boot = sign me up!

Seems like Poland is refusing 'refugees' after these attacks. Good for them.

Also people questioning whether gun bans need to be overturned, considering the sort of world we're now living in.

1 - Seems like Poland is refusing 'refugees' after these attacks. Good for them.

2 - Also people questioning whether gun bans need to be overturned, considering the sort of world we're now living in.

1 - Yeah, Poland's dumb masses  "Voted for a change" and elected into power right-wing populist imbeciles. Good for them indeed... :( 

2 - Trump already said something to the effect "If French had guns, they could defend themselves"... 

The French populace should indeed be armed now. I know with which arrondissments to start the arming... 

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

The idiot's season that has officially started after the massacre is not limited to Poland. 

Having lots of peopled armed has really helped stop gun violence in the US

Lets not forget the refugees are coming here to get away from these types of attacks where they live.  On Friday 2 suicide bombers attacked Beirut killing 41 people but that hardly makes the news.

So far we know 1 of the killers was French and that is it.  The Egyptian passport that was found belongs to one of the victims.  As for the 2 Syrian passports there are reports that they are fakes. 

Lets not judge everyone all the refugees the same.  Lets treat them like Human Beings.  Lets be better then IS and not give into fear the way they want us to.  Only by working together will we overcome them, the minute we start turning on groups in out society they win

Lets not forget the refugees are coming here to get away from these types of attacks where they live.  On Friday 2 suicide bombers attacked Beirut killing 41 people but that hardly makes the news.

So far we know 1 of the killers was French and that is it.  The Egyptian passport that was found belongs to one of the victims.  As for the 2 Syrian passports there are reports that they are fakes. 

it goes deeper than that...barely a month ago ISIS attacked a peace rally in Turkey killing 100+ and wounding 200+...but hey, muslim on muslim right so no need to change your profile pic on FB to show support for Turkey or blast it all over the news 24/7

and people use the excuse that "paris is closer to me so it's more relevant".  pure bullshit.  as is the notion we should punish all the refugees by closing the borders because ISIS may or may not have a few members among them.  what people don't get is that by fearing and mistrusting Muslims in general, we are playing right into the extremist's hands...they want us to react this way, it just broadens their recruiting pool.

Lets not judge everyone all the refugees the same.  Lets treat them like Human Beings.  Lets be better then IS and not give into fear the way they want us to.  Only by working together will we overcome them, the minute we start turning on groups in out society they win

To be fair, gun violence is mostly between gangs in the US. And cops shooting people. Other than, it's 8 times more common for a gun owner to use their gun to defend themselves over actually using them for crime. It's something stupid like 1% of all deaths are due to firearms in the US (compared to vehicle deaths, which are something like 3%). I'd take that 1% any day of the week.

This is the difference I've found between shit happening in the Middle-east/Africa region and shit happening in Europe: it seems to be expected. It's like people look at these areas, see how many Muslims there are and how shit it all is and go 'well, what else is new?' Tragedies, but one in a long line of them and they're not going to change because we raise awareness to it. Like IS slaughtering all those hostages so often, you become immune. You start to give less of a shit because less of a shit is being given by the powers that be.

With Europe, we're literally inviting it to come over here. Sure, some people are fleeing violence. Usually, the violence has stopped miles back before they decide to settle down and claim refugee status. But I don't think the majority are looking for safety specifically, considering how many are complaining about not getting enough free shit when they do get here. Or those ones in South America that literally wanted to go back to a warzone because they decided they weren't being treated nicely enough.

Poland's move to stop taking in refugees is a correct cautionary move to take. It's risky to take in thousands of unknown people when you've got a violent organisation aiming to exploit that. It's a question of whether the nation values the safety of their own people over the safety of refugees and economic immigrants. Hopefully, it doesn't just become a situation where everyone just gets used to an attack every so often, like they have elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

I agree cossieuk. You express our Western/Christian/Democratic values nicely but there is always counterpoint.

ISIS/Al Qaida/Islamic terror organization du jour/... is not a bunch of monkeys with swords. They have an agenda. They know their people. They watch CNN.

They know the political chaos the refugees/migrants have caused in the west. They know the way our politics works. In Canada we had an election this month and the new Prime Minister wanted to end our F18 bombing of ISIS targets = not one month into the mandate and now he is facing questions and ridicule for that policy.

Having even one refugee/migrant participate in this attack would be pure gold for Islamic terrorists for it's impact on our current migrant debate. They know where these people are located and can use the old carrot (money)/ stick (threats) to get them to participate just for the PR value and not because they have actual terrorist skills to contribute.

You are correct that Beirut hardly made the news = these events happen almost daily in the Islamic world... we don't want to invite the same behavior here.

"Only by working together will we overcome them" and just what evidence that there is any, ANY consensus in the West for a peaceful solution? Every country has it's own reactionary policy and the UN is, as always, as useless as tits on a bull. Now a nice "blow shit up" campaign is easy to build consensus around... ISIS wants that and knows how to manipulate us into that course.

Poland's move to stop taking in refugees is a correct cautionary move to take. It's risky to take in thousands of unknown people when you've got a violent organisation aiming to exploit that. It's a question of whether the nation values the safety of their own people over the safety of refugees and economic immigrants. 

No it's not - it's just showing their true fascist (immigrants will bring in disease and parasites!!!*) colors way too quickly. 

Poland has gobbled up almost a 100K refugees from Chechnya - and trust me, they were not only Muslims, but also many were highly dangerous, experienced fighters, gun culture and all that. No one, NO ONE blinked an eyelid - because they were anti-Russian. Thankfully most of them seemed to prefer places like Boston to settle in... 

So no, this has nothing to do with security (7K refugees in homogeneous Poland is a joke), and all with phobias and stirring hatred to be exploited politically.

Mind you - it will work.   

It's already working, all across Europe. 

*I know from Polish History this language - applied to Jews (when we still had them, before WWII) 

No it's not - it's just showing their true fascist (immigrants will bring in disease and parasites!!!*) colors way too quickly. 

Poland has gobbled up almost a 100K refugees from Chechnya - and trust me, they were not only Muslims, but also many were highly dangerous, experienced fighters, gun culture and all that. No one, NO ONE blinked an eyelid - because they were anti-Russian. Thankfully most of them seemed to prefer places like Boston to settle in... 

So no, this has nothing to do with security (7K refugees in homogeneous Poland is a joke), and all with phobias and stirring hatred to be exploited politically.

Mind you - it will work.   

It's already working, all across Europe. 

*I know from Polish History this language - applied to Jews (when we still had them, before WWII) 

So... how is it fascist if they allowed in 100k Chechens half a decade ago but are now stopping refugees from places known to be filled with IS members? It's two different scenarios in different points of time.

And 7k refugees is more than enough. Remember, it only took half a dozen terrorists to kill those 129 people in Paris. Who knows how many are hiding amongst the masses?