LOTROCommunity
Undo

LotrO EU Forum History

If one thing is certain, at least judging by other cases where CM lost publishing (Archlord, DDO), it's that the Codemasters LotrO forum will be taken from public view some time after the EU / US merger.

There surely are loads of good (and bad) threads from Codemasters' forum that are worth saving.

I know there's tools that let you save complete websites, including pages several layers in. But It's been a while since I used any. My thoughts so far:

• I may be able to host the forum history (if my Apple webspace allowance can support all that data and views).
  • Can anyone recommend a software that works for complete forums? (threads older than a month would be invisible unless set up correctly)
  • Would there be a problem with CM (downloading all available LotrO threads (at night?) would involve quite a bit of data transfer, and posting it on another site could cause copyright issues).
  • Could there possibly be any support by CM to help us save the work we put into their community, some of us for years?
  • Was hesitant to post about this on the CM forum, has this been covered there already?

Any thoughts or ideas about archiving the glory days of LotrO EU forums? :)

Is already in the works. More info soon™

No, that's Soon™. I'm using soon™.

• Would there be a problem with CM (downloading all available LotrO threads (at night?) would involve quite a bit of data transfer, and posting it on another site could cause copyright issues).

I don't think they'd notice a full recursive download within regular load generated, given the size of the forum that's just a blip. Hell, Google probably downloads half the site on a daily basis.

The copyright issue is a valid concern though obviously.

No, that's Soon. I'm using soon.

In any case, patents / copyrights / trademarks aren't necessarily global. Knowing Turbine, they probably forgot to trademark it anywhere outside of the US because, after all, the rest of the world hardly exists, let alone matters... ;)

It seems Valandir, from the German boards, has already started a LotrO Archive. :)

Not finished yet, with over 100,000 pages for the German forum alone, but check it out::

/edit: Oh, Valandir is working with you, Muer? Integration into thisforum seems very cool... if it works. :D

We have been talking about this on a few occasions, yes :) He did all the work there, I do the work here. In a way, we're working together to preserve the Codemasters' archive :)

Pretty much the same as with DDO and now LotRO, I assume? :)

Btw. Maneki was like: "if you want do copy the forums, go ahead", hope that's ok with you as "web guru" too? _O_

ah... a word about the "Forum History":

With my backup it is NOT possible to keep "single-post-links" working, for they would lead to a single HTML-Page for each posting. Since my backup is just a static copy of the forums, I'm just going to save all threads of all forums from the beginning, but I'm not going to save these single-post-HTML-pages.

So, if you have important FAQs, Guides, HowTos and other stuff, which use URLs to single-post-views - replace them with the (permalink)-URLs.

Each posting at the Codemasters-Forums has a Number and in braces "permalink" on the upper right, for example:

The "permalink" is different from the "#54"-link.

Cheers :)

It would be possible.

I'd have to:

* check every single site for these links

* follow each of this links

* search for the link beneath the permalink on this new page

* insert this permalink instead of the original link

But I'd have to completely change my script for that, don't know if I find the time to do so.

Are you going to take the beta forum as well? Nice piece of history. Usually is here but it is down right now, so it is hard to check.

Copyright presents an interesting (though largely theoretical) issue in this case. Who owns the rights in a forum?

I would imagine that the graphic design and appearance belong to the host entity (in this case CM), but there is a very strong argument to the effect that they do not own the player-generated content. As a general principle, everything anybody makes or writes they own the copyright on automatically (i.e., you are not required to take any steps to secure it), so unless that copyright is specifically assigned to a third party, it remains with the author or creator. It's possible CM could argue that somewhere on page 875 of the EULA is a clause assigning them the copyright of all forum posts, but I doubt they would have gone to the trouble.

Or did they?

Faya told us here:

The forums will be inaccessible on the day that the servers go down. Remember to copy all the information you want off of them before the day!

So just 11 more days to copy left.

Hope you guys pull it off in time, keep up the good work.

You should save the 'Show Off Your Wardrobe Outfits!' thread :)

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/lord-rings-online-general-discussion-424/445222-show-off-your-wardrobe-outfits.html

That one is always fun to add to :D

-Tiger(Wyn)

Please note that as of 1st June, all LOTRO Europe forums will be set to read-only with the exception of the General Discussion forum which will be used to assist any players requiring help in their transition to Turbine’s service. Some forums will be removed completely to limit potential for confusion such as the Store promotion forum and links to Codemasters sites.

All of the Codemasters-run forums will be switched off June 30th and will no longer be available to read. Thank you.

Source: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/news-announcements-434/465897-lotro-europe-forums.html

okey dokey...

today is our last day...

who of you is a mod in the forums at codies - today is you last chance to clean some threads and make other things, to keep the archive in its current state

I think it will take me about a week for the archive to go online, the version which is online right now is to be viewed as a beta :)

Archives now up and running (not all links working, yet - but everything is backed up - as per 31.05.2011 ~11am)

• Upvote 1