LOTROCommunity
Tanes

World of Warcraft

So, let's get to it. Who here plays World of Warcraft? What server are you on? What's your character's class and race?

I'm on The Venture Co RP-PVP server (EU) and have a Troll Warrior. I did play WoW 2 years ago before I started playing LotRO. I have a high level Draenei Hunter. Decided to start afresh on a new server and on Horde side.

Feel free to discuss the game. I know many have an opinion, but I'm enjoying it. Makes a nice change and it's something to play during the LotRO downtime. :)

Tried it a couple of times as my Husband used to play it and wanted us to play together but i just couldn't get into it i'm afraid, that's when i started playing Lotro, my hubby still keen for us to game together bought SoA and the rest as they say is history ;)

I played LOTRO for about a year without the wife, when she started to complain I played too much I got her the game and we never looked back! Great for the relationship!

I played for a while but whilst there is an abundance of content the community just wasn't the same. I do keep going back every now and then when I feel LOTRO burn-out is on its way! I never last long though, it just doesn't have the same feel to it as LOTRO.

As I expected, the topic getting derailed. :P

Ah well, World of Warcraft is an acquired taste. It's one of those you either love it or you hate it things, like Marmite. I'm loving it at the moment, but that's just me. I like the RP community my server has, and the overall vibe of the place. You don't get so many dipsticks like on other servers.

Of course, I always return to LotRO for my fix of roleplay and immersion. WoW is more "in your face". It's nice to come back to the subtlety of Middle-earth. :)

My sons were/are avid WoW fans, but I never tried it, LoTRO being my first MMO.

After playing LoTRO for a while I thought I would give it (and a couple of others) a go.

My initial reaction was that I was quite impressed with the number of players around, but I struggled to "engage" with the story line, not having played any of the other Warcraft games. I generally find games that draw me in story-wise to be the ones I enjoy the most.

Certainly can't complain about the "fluidity" of the game, it was smooth running and easy to pick up.

I enjoy the scenery shots in all games but story and game-play are the things that keep me playing, so the slightly cartoon-like graphics of WoW didn't bother me at all, in fact I quite liked the effect. Maybe if I knew more about the world story I could engage with it more.

As for comments about the community, I had no bad experiences in game in my limited experience, but my sons do tell me of some bad experiences.

All in all I can understand why it is so popular; easy on the eye, easy to pick up, lots of people to interact with.

Played World of Warcraft for 4 months straight many years ago (I think 2005? 2006?) and then stopped cold turkey because I really wasn't being useful. I'm not going back either, it isn't exactly what I wanted even though I liked the cartoony characters sometimes. But it wasn't worth paying for.

In later years I tried twice to pay a month for it to play it, but every time after one or two days I again left it in the dust, so that really wasn't an useful use of my money either. :P

I'm, however, considering to go pay for Rift and play it one or two months a year. It feels like WoW, it smells like WoW, it plays like WoW, it's only a lot more pretty. They got the best elements from every MMO looks like.

I played WoW for a month but I didn't get into the community. First I chose to play on a non-RP-Server and I was so shocked about the behaviour of the players, so I switched to a german RP-Server 'Die Silberne Hand' and leveled a Draenei Hunter. Some quests were fun but the graphic and story was not that exciting. Besides LotR is a part of me since I read it for the first time, that's why I decied staying in LotRO.

WoW is a bitter memory for me ... and I've never played it.

I played a considerable amount of Diablo 2 - another of Blizzard's games - years ago, had a vibrant guild that I was a part of, and generally enjoyed myself. Then came WoW. Suddenly, Blizzard's support for D2 diminished to near non-existence, the old Blizzard North team had scattered to the four winds, and parts of my guild were being drawn like a moth to the WoW flame, and it was strictly due to how much money D2 was making them.

The attraction of some of my guildmates was zombie-like, and everything started to revolve around that game for them, to the exclusion of all else. So, I used my search-Fu to see why this new game had been attracting people as it had. What I found was heart-breaking. Stories of lost jobs, lost opportunities for education, lost health, lost relationships...all due to one obsessive game. To me, it was unnatural, so I stayed far away from it, despite all the attempts to shanghai me into it by people I once knew.

For those you know, who may be feeling a similar draw to the game, I would recommend reading a few pages at WoW Detox.com.

I lasted around 2 hours in the game with the free trial. It just didn't have the same effect on me that Lotro has. The really bright colours and the proverbial floppy elf ears were just a complete turn off for me.

Maybe if I had played that first (a couple of mates are obsessive about it) then I may have got right into it.

But, each to his own I guess.

@chipmore: did the same here and the wife is now on it more than me ;)

Makes a nice change and it's something to play during the LotRO downtime. :)

You mean you aren't playing your Lotro f2p account on the US servers? ;)

I tried it two times,

one for two days, the other several hours.

it's just not my type of game... maybe due to the fact that I played lotro by then already.

So, let's get to it. Who here plays World of Warcraft? What server are you on? What's your character's class and race?

I'm on The Venture Co RP-PVP server (EU) and have a Troll Warrior. I did play WoW 2 years ago before I started playing LotRO. I have a high level Draenei Hunter. Decided to start afresh on a new server and on Horde side.

Feel free to discuss the game. I know many have an opinion, but I'm enjoying it. Makes a nice change and it's something to play during the LotRO downtime. :)

Hi, I played on the Venture Co server for 3 years, had a completely OP Forsaken Shadow Priest, who melted faces. I had a blast I must admit, I even enjoyed the "Barrens Chat".

Sadly my love affair didn't survive the Burning Crusade...it completely killed the feel of the game for me, so I quit.

Was a fun few years tho...Tarren Mill to Southshore zerging...too funny.

I played WoW for five years, starting at day one of EU release. Started out on Earthen Ring (RPPvE) but after the guild I was in disbanded quite spectacularly (leader one day just said "guys, I'm moving to another server. Buh-bye!") I rerolled on Defias Brotherhood (RPPvP). I had an 80 rogue, death knight and paladin, plus a bunch of others ranging from low 30s to high 70s.

I quit playing for a while, but returned a year ago, thinking I'd probably end up buying Cataclysm anyway, so I might as well try and get back into it. Almost immediately someone stole my account and slapped an authenticator on it. I got my account and all my stuff back within a day, but it left a very bad taste in my mouth nonetheless. Not a week later, Blizzard came with their RealID announcement and I cancelled my sub. A company with such a cavalier attitude towards security isn't getting my money. I haven't looked back since. Azeroth is lost to me forever.

Admittedly, I'd been unhappy with the game for much longer. I hated Blizzard's raid-centric approach. It left non-raiders with no options to advance. I hated arena play with a passion. Battlegrounds could be a lot of fun though, and I did those quite extensively so I could collect some reasonable gear, but there was a hard ceiling that raiders never really had.

Good memories all in all, but not so good as to return.

Beat me, just made it over 1 hour before I saw someone arguing that his leather belt with so much stat was better than this thing lol

I used to play, before Cataclysm came out, I quit around October and played the Cata trial for like an hour but didn't feel like playing it again. The content of each Expansion is pretty much the same, Gear up through raiding, using your tokens to get raid entry level gear, then wait for the next raid content to open up and get the gear from that, rinse and repeat.

I played a Paladin and liked the PvP on WoW the most, but it all kinda got boring. People get way too into that since the whole game is pretty much a gearing race that never ends, which is way certain guilds get too "zombie like"

I don't RP at all, so I never got into that side of game, apart from trolling once or twice. (I respect their choices to RP and don't wanna get in their way, but when RPing becomes "tell other people your problems because they have no one else to speak to" I troll)

Does "Nefarian" play WoW? Maaaaaaaaaybe...

I played it a lot until the end of Burning Crusade, but then I found I no longer had the ability to dedicate the time to raid. I enjoyed WotLK because I could still run 5-mans in pick-up groups without having to rely on guildmates to drag me through content.

However, since Cataclysm, with the crappy community and attitude towards strangers (no, not everyone who isn't wearing epics is a "bad" or a "noob"), I find I'm spending more and more days between logins. Like others, I've also started poking into Rift. Pretty fun so far, though whether it'll last or not is too early to call yet.

Never tried it. Played Runes of Magic though, which I heard being called "a carbon copy of WoW" with an added "lulz lololol xoxox" of course.