LOTROCommunity

Data Centre Move on 11th January 2016.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?592205-Data-Center-Launch!-1-11-2016

Data Center Launch! 1-11-2016

We are finally at the point at which we are ready to announce the opening of the new Datacenter with all new hardware! It has been a long road as we purchased and set up new hardware with updated operating systems, transferred all the data from the old worlds to the new and had to correct systems that had trouble with the transition for 32bit to 64 bit processing. But all of that is past us now and we are pleased to announce that on January 11th, 2016 we will come down for a maintenance window at 5am EST and come back up around 3PM in our new home!

So, who thinks we'll be delayed? ;)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think i'd hire those people before a datacenter move, but that's just me

Frelorn brought up in a live stream yesterday that the European servers will not yet be moving to Amsterdam as originally planned. Instead, they will be hosted in the same New Jersey facility as the N

Something blows up offscreen - oh hey, Frodo did it, hooray!

Who thinks there won't be a delay would be a much shorter list, lol.

But in all honesty, delays should be expected with a move like this, and there's likely to be a few shut-downs and restarts for a week or so, not just because Turbine, but it's the nature of these kinds of changes esp. in mmos.

I'm curious if there still will be 2 new datacenters (1 europe, 1 usa).

I don't know how much data they have to bring up-to-date, if using a back-up means copying the complete database or just update changed things f.e.

These kind of things, especially since they have the new server environment up-and-running for months already, so they could have tested the move several times. 

My guess will be that the update will go smoothly, servers will go up early and forums will be filled with angry people who can't enter because DNS-servers etc. aren't synchronised everywhere yet (takes 48 hours at most, doesn't it?). 

On 2nd thought, my first guess is that everything will go smoothly, but they forgot to change a setting somewhere so we accidentily try to login on the old servers, or even succesfully because they didn't shut them down and they only find out that everyone is on the old servers 3 days later ;)

"I'm curious if there still will be 2 new datacenters (1 europe, 1 usa)."

Someone brought this up on the OF. Turbine keeps saying Data Center. I can see them deciding to only have one location now and just not telling players.

20 hours ago, Thrabath said:

I'm curious if there still will be 2 new datacenters (1 europe, 1 usa).

Frelorn brought up in a live stream yesterday that the European servers will not yet be moving to Amsterdam as originally planned. Instead, they will be hosted in the same New Jersey facility as the North American servers.

http://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream/v/34098051?t=11m42s

Here's the exact quote:

"Right now we are launching everybody in our New Jersey data center, and we are going to go from there. It's easier to launch in one than in two at the same time. So everything's going to go into New Jersey and we will progress from there."

• Upvote 1

So up until 3rd December EU servers were moving to Amsterdam at the same time as the US move to New Jersey.  Now they aren't - but it took a player questioning the word 'center' as opposed to 'centers' that was used in the announcement.  Now they admit EU won't be moved to Europe yet.

Extremely poor communication - maybe they hoped we wouldn't notice?  And now EU players also get 2 extended maintenances to move their data as opposed to just the one.  Luckily I've gone back to ESO for a bit and, when I do dip into Lotro, I'm playing on Arkenstone anyway.  But still....

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Iordariel said:

So up until 3rd December EU servers were moving to Amsterdam at the same time as the US move to New Jersey.  Now they aren't - but it took a player questioning the word 'center' as opposed to 'centers' that was used in the announcement.  Now they admit EU won't be moved to Europe yet.

Extremely poor communication - maybe they hoped we wouldn't notice?  And now EU players also get 2 extended maintenances to move their data as opposed to just the one.  Luckily I've gone back to ESO for a bit and, when I do dip into Lotro, I'm playing on Arkenstone anyway.  But still....

It does look like they hoped we wouldn't notice.  And Frelorn saying "we are going to go from there" and "we will progress from there" is a great example of leaving it open to "and we are staying there" being the next step.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Fredelas said:

that the European servers will not yet be moving to Amsterdam as originally planned.

Hahahaha

I remember that was one of reasons why I left Lotro (other ones being cash shop and changes to gameplay, some of game concepts, etc) so after several years they promised move to Europe and now they backtrack from this.  

LOL   I guess it worked to keep some of europeans that were on verge on leaving still playing in the meantime though.

Anyway - when I left Lotro years ago I have promised myself that if I ever play again any online game(not just MMOs) that is dependant on game company run servers and this company will remove EU servers physically from Europe then I am immedietaly stopping playing such game. Permanently.

That is quite big news. EU players will not get the reduced ping, at least for now.  

Yes, they actually only admitted it when on the other forums people started to post asking if they were really going to have two data centers when they kept saying "data center". They got caught. Surely they knew players would want to know this, but did not want to admit it.

to be brutally honest, this is probably the last straw for me.

how anyone can honestly defend Turbine's actions at this point is beyond me.  i understand that shit happens, but the fact that they clearly knew that Amsterdam was not going to go live for at least the past month and have only now (a couple days before the maintenance) told the players (thanks to some nagging on the forums) is the epitome of horrible communication.  

actually, it's down right shady.

and of course, Frelorn shuts down the thread in question due to "personal attacks".

12 minutes ago, Papi said:

and of course, Frelorn shuts down the thread in question due to "personal attacks".

And it's very telling he is not able to just post "don't worry, we will still be moving EU servers to the EU".

I'm not surprised at all by this.  Perhaps they decided to hold a fire sale and get rid of the hardware they had planned for the EU data center.  Who knows maybe they wanted to rent another chocolate fountain for the big Christmas party.

• Upvote 1

The only slight positive is that ping from the EU should be a little less going to New Jersey (think major NY hub) than going to Boston.  

There is a new thread on the OF, which Turbine will as usual ignore until some time on Monday, and then make a response. Unless they decide it is better to pretend it might happen than to come out and say it will never happen now. This actually fits pretty well with how Lotro management has done things: delay any bad news as long as possible so players will hope good things will happen with the game (like getting EU servers).

1 hour ago, nosam9 said:

The only slight positive is that ping from the EU should be a little less going to New Jersey (think major NY hub) than going to Boston.  

You can test this by connecting to the Bullroarer test server, which is already hosted in the new data center. For me in the United States, the ping is about 28% higher than on the live servers still in Boston. (But it's still a respectable 55 ms.)

A few European players on the official forums have also noted a significantly higher latency to the new data center in Newark, NJ.

7 hours ago, warspeech said:

Does having the EU servers physically located in the EU leave Turbine open to stricter data protection laws there?

I'm wondering if it's something like that that they're maybe trying to avoid if they leave those servers in the US.

They are already subject to those due to them taking over all the Codemasters accounts.

On 9/1/2016 at 8:59 PM, Fredelas said:

You can test this by connecting to the Bullroarer test server, which is already hosted in the new data center. For me in the United States, the ping is about 28% higher than on the live servers still in Boston. (But it's still a respectable 55 ms.)

A few European players on the official forums have also noted a significantly higher latency to the new data center in Newark, NJ.

I cannot do tests actually, but the current BR server (Login server or Chat server) is 198.252.160.39, which seems still registered in Needham, near Boston.

11 hours ago, LordVorontur said:

They are already subject to those due to them taking over all the Codemasters accounts.

Thanks, good to know!  I wonder if there's something similar, some other new EU-related thing, that might be making them consider keeping everything in the US. 

54 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Thanks, good to know!  I wonder if there's something similar, some other new EU-related thing, that might be making them consider keeping everything in the US. 

Also, WB, Turbine's parent company, has presence in the EU.

I was looking at the Data Protection Act the other day for job reasons, and there are rules in place regarding the transfer of personal information outside the EU.

22 hours ago, Fredelas said:

This makes me think maybe they are going with cheaper servers in NJ. Since NY is the major internet hub and needs very fast connection with the EU for the financial markets, I would expect NY to EU to be faster than Boston to EU. But Boston is close to the EU and maybe some internet cable travel from Boston to EU.  

What city are you close to? What country?

One site say this:   https://wondernetwork.com/pings

So it looks to me like there are fast connections Boston to London making it faster (or about the same), which makes sense geographically. Boston and London are closer.

But NY City to Amsterdam is faster than Boston to AMsterdam by a small amount. But with a 28% difference, I would guess it due to Turbine being cheap and this causing servers with worse ping.

Boston to London:  73.34
Boston to Amsterdam: 88.40ms

New York to London: 74.48ms
New York to Amsterdam:  69:38

Something went wrong. Apparently the game is barely playable.  They wont get it working until tomorrow.

FREELORN posted:

"We believe we have found a fix for the current login and latency issues that players are reporting with the game. However a hotfix to the game will be required. In order for us to do this we will have to build an update, deploy it to our test server, and test it extensively before we can release the fix to the live servers. This means that while we will continue to try and mitigate any issues that occur tonight, we will not be able to deploy a fix for this issue until sometime tomorrow.

We do understand this is not an optimal solution, however right now this is the only option we have. This issue was something that for whatever reason, did not appear on any of our tests including the live testing we did on Bullroarer. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause players."

At least I got what I wanted from Turbine over the winter festival.  Thousands upon thousands of free marks, scores of medallions and a goodly number of tier 1 stat tomes, all for doing a quick, emote-based "quest" for an NPC in Winter-home with all my characters.  With all the festival tokens I racked up in the process, if I wanted to get a +68% speed mount for a character, I could simply barter it.  And, for those characters of mine that haven't received the theatre titles yet, a mere 60 festival tokens got me 40TP per character, which puts me in the 29-30K area now.  And all of this was done without entering the Store or buying TP.

The truly pathetic thing about the festival was that no one could be bothered to put this year's variation on lotro-wiki.com.  That's pretty telling.

So, let them fumble around, while I play other MMOs.  They've more-or-less served their purpose this winter.

10 hours ago, nosam9 said:

Something went wrong. Apparently the game is barely playable.  They wont get it working until tomorrow.

FREELORN posted:

"We believe we have found a fix for the current login and latency issues that players are reporting with the game. However a hotfix to the game will be required. In order for us to do this we will have to build an update, deploy it to our test server, and test it extensively before we can release the fix to the live servers. This means that while we will continue to try and mitigate any issues that occur tonight, we will not be able to deploy a fix for this issue until sometime tomorrow.

We do understand this is not an optimal solution, however right now this is the only option we have. This issue was something that for whatever reason, did not appear on any of our tests including the live testing we did on Bullroarer. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause players."

The live testing was with only one world open on the new setup, correct?  Just Bullroarer?  Not surprising that having all ten remaining worlds (plus the leftovers) active at the same time would reveal other issues.  Funny how nobody there seems to have thought of that before this.

7 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

At least I got what I wanted from Turbine over the winter festival.  Thousands upon thousands of free marks, scores of medallions and a goodly number of tier 1 stat tomes, all for doing a quick, emote-based "quest" for an NPC in Winter-home with all my characters.  With all the festival tokens I racked up in the process, if I wanted to get a +68% speed mount for a character, I could simply barter it.  And, for those characters of mine that haven't received the theatre titles yet, a mere 60 festival tokens got me 40TP per character, which puts me in the 29-30K area now.  And all of this was done without entering the Store or buying TP.

The truly pathetic thing about the festival was that no one could be bothered to put this year's variation on lotro-wiki.com.  That's pretty telling.

So, let them fumble around, while I play other MMOs.  They've more-or-less served their purpose this winter.

For me the focus was on essence removal scrolls - I came out with enough to see me through the rest of my playing time, or the end of the game, whichever comes first.  Like you I also got a lot of tomes, marks, and meds from the daily present sacks for a trivial amount of time.  Not that I know what I'll use them for, it's just nice to have them in reserve.