LOTROCommunity
LordVorontur

Data Centre Move on 11th January 2016.

17 hours ago, SNy said:

"We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

:P

SNy

But who's gonna sack the people who sacked the people who shouldn't have sacked the people that got sacked in the first place?

2 hours ago, LordVorontur said:

But who's gonna sack the people who sacked the people who shouldn't have sacked the people that got sacked in the first place?

Doro

On 26/03/2016 at 0:11 AM, SNy said:

"We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

:P

SNy

I suspect Turbine's team building exercises may look a bit like this:

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2016 at 5:35 PM, RedMaggu said:

It's the code for sure, and maybe they shouldn't have sacked the people that understand it.

^ This ^

If they hadn't fired so many of their knowledgeable technical staff, not only would they be able to fix the issues with the code, they would still be able to create Skirmishes, and other content that seems beyond the understanding of current Turbine developers.

On 3/20/2016 at 3:01 PM, cossieuk said:

In most walks of life your customers would have all gone long ago, but in the gaming world it seems people are too invested to just quit.  I wonder how many people have quit because Turbine lying all the time, that would have stuck around had Turbine just been honest about their plans for the future of the game.  

If they had delivered on their promises over the years just imagine how good the game would be now.

What keeps them around more the level 100 character they spent years with or the IP?  I think most of the lying was done by Kate Paiz and the SAP man.  

Examples:

The MC trees were so popular that they extended it to the classes.  It was clearly done to save development cost.

The several times they promised a pvmp map.

The player council.  One giant lie to make players think they had some control over development.  

And my favorite one that only a single digital number of players have raided.    Then how come a loot system that only really effected players in a group made so many leave?

As far as over promising every dev does it even blizzard.  

8 hours ago, The MMO Troll said:

If they hadn't fired so many of their knowledgeable technical staff, 

I think it wasn't just firing them. The smart people working on Lotro got moved to IC and other games. Some probably left on their own (it was obvious IC was going to flop).  

And yeah a lot of Turbine staff got laid off. I blame it all on Sapience, btw.

from Vyv, yesterday:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?605220-U18-Minas-Tirith-Stables-and-Quicktravel&p=7561517#post7561517

"The teleport horses were a cause of some of the performance issues seen int he MT region. With the stable horses in place, they were no longer necessary so we removed them to reduce the performance and crashing issues they were causing."

This is in reference to the U18 removal of the teleport horses in Minas Tirith - the ones all located close to the entrance that take you directly to the different tiers of the city.  They were really handy and made it super easy to get around the city, added after so many people complained about how tedious it was to run all over the place doing quests.

Now they have stable horses set up for the various tiers (they weren't in place initially).  But this begs the question - why implement the teleport horses in the first place, why not just put in the regular stable routes from the beginning?

They're taking away something that looked like it was added to make things more pleasant for the players and made people happy, but now it just looks like it was "We can't be bothered to do it properly, throw something together quickly to get them to shut up" followed months later by "oops, sorry bad idea they need to go away now". 

Surely the performance issues in MT are just because of the sheer amount of scenery being rendered. It looks great, but you can be having to render 3D buildings with glimpses into courtyards and loads of NPCs from at least three different tiers all at once. My laptop usually drops to 2FPS when I first enter a tier, and recovers to about 8-12 after a few seconds of loading all the stuff.

Turing up the graphics to get screenshots of interiors has its rewards though.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, warspeech said:

Now they have stable horses set up for the various tiers (they weren't in place initially).  But this begs the question - why implement the teleport horses in the first place, why not just put in the regular stable routes from the beginning?

Because the person who could tell them that the teleport horses cause performance problems isn't working there anymore?

5 hours ago, warspeech said:

The teleport is easier to implement and uses less resources to develop.

Teleport just takes a player from spot X to Spot Y, while horses require pathing, npc interaction, etc.

So my guess would be the stables weren't ready and they did just put in a temporary workaround. Of course it figures that they were the one teleport that people liked and apparently didn't scream lore break etc. lol poor Turbine even when they win they lose.

• Upvote 1

On 26/3/2016 at 1:35 AM, RedMaggu said:

Considering the fix to Moors is a new option that auto nerfs all your settings when in PvMP.   Even then I guess people may still suffer if more than a raid v raid is nearby.  I can't wait to see what the new raid performs like, considering I get <10 FPS in Blood of The Black Serpent when soloing it on a test server, with DX9 and all settings at low.  I don't run a super rig, but in Bree I get 60+ FPS, soooooo.

They use and reuse parts of code with memory leaks, whose they clearly don't know the source. when the only patches they can do is to reduce the number of models.

The two 3-mans crashes and are unplayable on my actual low configuration (recent PC but with Windows 7 SP1 32-bit with 4 Gb RAM only atm) which allows me to see quickly when programs have big bugs

The 6-man seems better.

I don't observe the client growing in anonymous pages, which would be indicative of a memory leak. Maybe I'm not playing hard enough?

ETA: that means virtual memory pages anonymously mapped, which is what the memory allocator in most programming languages uses.  In any case, even a leak doesn't necessarily mean a crash anytime soon.

13 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

I don't observe the client growing in anonymous pages, which would be indicative of a memory leak. Maybe I'm not playing hard enough

I had shown the memory leak(s) in MT on OF =>

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?580992-Minas-Tirith-Crash-Crash-Crash-Crash&p=7474006#post7474006

I did not test all regions, but they start in Rohan (after Stangarde which is OK)

7 minutes ago, Castorix said:

I had shown the memory leak(s) in MT on OF =>

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?580992-Minas-Tirith-Crash-Crash-Crash-Crash&p=7474006#post7474006

I did not test all regions, but they start in Rohan (after Stangarde which is OK)

Oh. Yes I am not in Minas Tirith yet.

On windows, do you have a process monitor that can reduce the count to anonymous pages? So that we know it isn't just keeping more of the on-disk files in?

19 hours ago, Spiteful said:

The teleport is easier to implement and uses less resources to develop.

Teleport just takes a player from spot X to Spot Y, while horses require pathing, npc interaction, etc.

So my guess would be the stables weren't ready and they did just put in a temporary workaround. Of course it figures that they were the one teleport that people liked and apparently didn't scream lore break etc. lol poor Turbine even when they win they lose.

True. Also, you cannot 'accidentally' press a mithril coin button with the teleport horses like you can with stable horses. Just saying. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

True. Also, you cannot 'accidentally' press a mithril coin button with the teleport horses like you can with stable horses. Just saying. 

Great point. I've trained myself to ignore those little coin buttons completely, so I didn't even think of that!  

• Upvote 1

The best way to avoid accidentally hitting the MC button is to hit no button; double-click the destination instead ;)

Hey guys,

I just made an account, been reading forums from time to time but never got to register :) .

So there will not be EU servers , servers based physically in EU ?

Been waiting for EU move for more then a year to start playing again but it seems LOTRO is not meant to be for me anymore after Coodies :( .

Better to move on mate.  

I've also been Codies EU player, and Lotro just wasn't the same after move to Turbine, USA and F2P/cash shop happened.  I just regret time I've spent in F2P US Turbine Lotro, time wasted and 'dirtied' my good Lotro memories this way.

Some of us are still playing every day. If you just made an account, try it out and decide for yourself whether you like it enough to continue.

I have reasonably good fun.  My high level character is in boring content, not to mention I don't find the Hunter too exciting anymore. I have a mid-thirties LM that I level parallel.  The LI sub-game is stupid.

I loved to see Bullroarer's Sward and Evendim again. And all those little corners of the world that were so well made. Some of them I've never seen before due to various factors.

Leveling sure is fast these days, though.

Ty guys for your answers, yeah I thought coming back as a sub but yeah I think atm is not worth paying sub for lotro, expecially without EU servers.

Watched some Star Wars today, got SW adrenalin, bought 60 days of swtor sub again althou I said never again :P , big mistake but hell at least they have EU servers, althou customer service sucks but I don't think Turbine is any better.

Tried WoW just can't make myself play that thing.

It would be great if there would be some old-time servers like pre-Isen expansions only, without f2p stuff, that would be worth playing I think (and subbing).