LOTROCommunity
LordVorontur

Data Centre Move on 11th January 2016.

1 hour ago, Amenhir said:

Allowing the players to fix stuff couldn't be any worse than Turbine doing it.  I'm sure there are plenty of smart people playing lotro, at least what some of them keeping telling everyone. :)

Yeah, it'd be funny to see who's actually active on GitHub, vs what some of the forum warriors claim to know about coding.  The upside is that Turbine can reject pull requests if they don't work out as they think, so it's not like it would make it worse, right?

59 minutes ago, Spiteful said:

Besides a Nosam9 Death of LotRO Counter just struck me as funny.

Eh, it's just like a Krillin Owned counter from DBZ Abridged.  Expected.. and hilarious at the same time.

9 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Yeah, it'd be funny to see who's actually active on GitHub, vs what some of the forum warriors claim to know about coding.  The upside is that Turbine can reject pull requests if they don't work out as they think, so it's not like it would make it worse, right?

Hopefully they don't have yet come to the point where they need their userbase to fix the game for free!

On the other hand, I have always wished that when closing time arrives, some (very) brave souls manage to reverse-engineer the servers' software a la SWGEmu and others, although I guess this should need to drop every reference to LotR due to licensing. Or maybe all references are contained at the client application.

3 hours ago, MusicMachine said:

Hopefully they don't have yet come to the point where they need their userbase to fix the game for free!

On the other hand, I have always wished that when closing time arrives, some (very) brave souls manage to reverse-engineer the servers' software a la SWGEmu and others, although I guess this should need to drop every reference to LotR due to licensing. Or maybe all references are contained at the client application.

You mean it's bad enough that the userbase needed to fix their shitty forum theme and hack together a status page for the halfwits, because they, as an IT company, keep telling their userbase that their site doesn't make it as easy for them to post something as Twitter does?

I think I would actually agree with that. It IS bad enough as it is.

Off-Topic: WTF is up with this crappy forum software, as it were? Why would it not allow me to cut from the frigging quote? Kill it with fire! It must be b0rked PHP shyte or something equally useless.

16 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

uw =)

If you want a better insight into what's going on, you may want to read http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/?_ga=1.33122046.156964246.1435699359  Be warned that you may need Wikipedia open to translate the tech, as it's an article written for someone that understands most of the acronym soup of modern computing.

Quote from that article:

We peer with over 20 providers and get full BGP tables from five of them, making for a total of over two million path attribute entries that get compiled into the half-million global BGP best-path route table on each edge router.

I do have a fleeting suspicion that Turbine not only isn't in the same ballpark there, but playing a different game altogether.

SNy

Edit: ZOMFG. It did squash to separate posts into one, for good measure?! Seriously, MueR, these forum "features" are ridiculous!

16 minutes ago, SNy said:

I do have a fleeting suspicion that Turbine not only isn't in the same ballpark there, but playing a different game altogether.

I'm pretty positive that they'd wank over those specs if they knew what they mean.

17 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

uw =)

If you want a better insight into what's going on, you may want to read http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/?_ga=1.33122046.156964246.1435699359  Be warned that you may need Wikipedia open to translate the tech, as it's an article written for someone that understands most of the acronym soup of modern computing.

Thanks, Al!

I freely admit that this article was way over my head, but even a dunce like me can tell that it's well-written and full of the kind of detail that people who know this stuff can appreciate.  

My hope of a timely resolution to LOTRO's problems is fading as each hour goes by.

32 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Thanks, Al!

I freely admit that this article was way over my head, but even a dunce like me can tell that it's well-written and full of the kind of detail that people who know this stuff can appreciate.  

My hope of a timely resolution to LOTRO's problems is fading as each hour goes by.

That's where you sit down with wikipedia and the article, and start looking stuff up =P

DO EEET!  DOOOO EEEEEEET!

Frelorn today:

"Everyone here has been and is continuing to work on making the performance better. It is not a matter of just flipping this switch or moving that thing, unfortunately. There are many people here working, some on little to no sleep, trying everything they can to get things to where everyone can play and enjoy the game."

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594170-Are-the-devs-even-doing-anything-to-fix-their-mistakes

A lot of players are posting they have left the game, and some from their posts have no idea why it suddenly is bad in game (don't realize it was the data center move). They are not happy.

15 minutes ago, SNy said:

Oh my God!

I can't even...

It's not Turbine's fault! They can't help what the mean data-centre salesmen did to them! They certainly didn't string along players with a lie about better performance, no sir.

Even better was that Frelorn bellend and his claim that they've got people working so hard to fix this that they're getting little to no sleep. These people are heroes and they're risking sleep deprivation for you lot, damn it!

11 minutes ago, Doro said:

Did anyone consider that it may not be Turbine's fault? That the new 'datacenter' they are working with sold them a bill-of-goods saying that their hardware was the 'bestest, most fastest, most reliable ever!" only to have Turbine find out much to their dismay (and huge expense) that this was far from the truth?

What is more likely is someone from these forums are DDOS'ing Turbine's servers and the major ISP providers like Virgin.

Plus I am pretty sure things aren't that bad for most players. Most players don't use the forums and if everyone was affected by this, we would see a lot more posts about it. It's probably just some whiners and Turbine haters complaining as usual.

17 minutes ago, Doro said:

It's not Turbine's fault! They can't help what the mean data-centre salesmen did to them! They certainly didn't string along players with a lie about better performance, no sir.

Even better was that Frelorn bellend and his claim that they've got people working so hard to fix this that they're getting little to no sleep. These people are heroes and they're risking sleep deprivation for you lot, damn it!

If things have really gone as far south as I think they have, I wouldn't be surprised if key players have been given orders to go get a sleeping bag and a cot, as they are expected to stay there until it's finished.

And to add insult to injury...

VIP Event
100% Boost to XP, 25% Boost to Crafting XP and Mark Acquisition
January 15th - 18th

Turbine's the best! Only they could think that trying to get people to subscribe in the middle of this shitstorm is a good idea. Current VIPs gonna love it too.

19 minutes ago, nosam9 said:

What is more likely is someone from these forums are DDOS'ing Turbine's servers and the major ISP providers like Virgin.

Plus I am pretty sure things aren't that bad for most players. Most players don't use the forums and if everyone was affected by this, we would see a lot more posts about it. It's probably just some whiners and Turbine haters complaining as usual.

I've seen people posting on the OF this week that I haven't seen there for literally YEARS, coming out of the woodwork to post about the problems they're having.  Also people with post counts in the single digits.  You know, the ones who you hear about who just play the game, don't post about it - the "silent majority" to bring back an old hated phrase from the HD Beta days. Not so silent anymore, all wondering what happened and what's being done about it.

38 minutes ago, Doro said:

I'd give you +rep but I don't want to be the one to knock you off your 666 rating, Doro!

2 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

That's where you sit down with wikipedia and the article, and start looking stuff up =P

DO EEET!  DOOOO EEEEEEET!

I plead old age and bad eyesight as reasons for refusal.  Or as Sherlock says, not going to clutter my harddrive until I absolutely positively need to know this.  Though Turbine might have some job openings in the near future, so I'll keep the link handy just in case. :P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SNy said:

Oh my God!

I can't even...

I guess that's what happens why you buy components out of the back of windowless van.  Should have left Sapience keep his red stapler.

• Upvote 1

There's more of the same.

This assumes the customers are reasonable and have the ability to apply critical thought.

Myself, I wonder why reasonable people able to apply critical thought would even still play this POS game.

In the event the setting and lore had caused any to stay, all the earlier talking about how the servers would be moved into existing datacenter locations belonging to WB (ie: known speficiation, people on premise that know them, that kind of stuff) and how everything was super-duper and well under way (in the rest of the world meaning that they did actually started to deploy, run and test stuff there), then suddenly followed up by talking about delays, and afterwards the admission of only one, not two datacenters, and now finally, out of the blue, mysterious problems that they are unable to locate, let alone fix, those reasonable people would then have applied their ability to think critically and arrive at the logical assumption that, plain and simple, they have been bullshitted all along.

And then there are those clowns such as him wondering why there's so many complaints.

SNy

• Upvote 1

and now they are taking down several servers for "emergency maintenance"

what is this, day 4?  it's not looking good.

And also there is a Lotro store security breach.  The servers are sending pages from other players accounts to them, so you can see the information from other players store accounts. When Steam did this recently there was personal information (name and tel. number) on those pages.

14 minutes ago, Papi said:

and now they are taking down several servers for "emergency maintenance"

what is this, day 4?  it's not looking good.

Hehe day 4 and now it's emergency maintenance.

that's like digging up the corpse to perform an emergency heart by-pass.

I have pretty much no interest in lotro anymore, but I cannot stay away from this, it's truly captivating. I now wonder what the "win" would be for turbine here, no-one can seriously believe the game is ever going to perform anywhere near as well as the kept promising, so what are they aiming for? Same standard as before all this? The people who aren't happy to bugger off and leave the fanbois who will never complain about anything no matter how bad it gets to crack on?

The longer this goes on the lower the bar will be set in terms of performance that is considered acceptable.

i wouldn't be surprised that on Monday they announce everything is fixed, despite it being no better than it is now and just going silent for a few weeks until the dust settles and then carry on with what remains.

Yeah, I would rather LotRO go silently into the night after completing the LotR story.

However, I'm starting to wonder if we're not about to see it go down in flames and take Turbine with it.

Time to wait it out and see what happens in a week's time.

Wouldn't it be funny to find out they were using a New Jersey Proxy and were still actually in Boston, lol.

58 minutes ago, bobbylobs said:

I now wonder what the "win" would be for turbine here, no-one can seriously believe the game is ever going to perform anywhere near as well as the kept promising, so what are they aiming for? Same standard as before all this?

They'd probably be happy if they could achieve so, as I bet that they're saving up with the new hardware. I certainly do not see the game getting a bigger budget at this point. The datacenter is "improved" as in "cheaper" IMHO.

It would be tragic if they knew what they were doing, the only logical alternative is that it's funny, as sadly it seems they have no real idea how to fix things.  And by fix things, I mean get performance back to how it was just before the move IE  Not so great.

I can see them being able to fix things enough to get stuff back to where it was, and a load of people praising their efforts - forgetting that this move was meant to vastly improve things, to the point where pre move Vyv herself had boasted that they COULD have hosted the entire population on just two worlds on the new servers.

Utter mess.   The lack of openly saying what is going on compounds things.  They may as well just tweet "We haven't got a clue!  We're going to try rubbing jam on our shoes to see if that helps, BRB in an hour....  PS  Anyone know how to make jam?  Also, we lost our shoes"

I get that moves as big as this have issues, but his is just stupid.  I don't think either Turbine or a lot of the playerbase realise just how retarded this makes them look.

Plus going forwards, after this and the EU server thing, can we trust ANYTHING that comes out their mouth, nope.    That new raid, oh sorry, we can't do it on the new servers, remember those issues we had, we had to compromise and due to lack of jam for our shoes we can't do it.  Mummy says maybe next year we can have Velcro trainers.

Sorry for the sarcasm, just at this point, seriously, what the hell are we even doing discussing this game?  Just free up space and play minecraft FFS

I do feel sad for those just on the working floor, because I guess this move and the effect of the move are mostly the result of management decisions.