LOTROCommunity
LordVorontur

Data Centre Move on 11th January 2016.

46 minutes ago, warspeech said:

I think it could also be the first step in a gradual, "break-it-to-the-player-base-gently" series of communications that will end up eventually in "We've done all we can do to fix performance short of rewriting the client code completely, and unfortunately that is not something we can take on with the resources we have available.  Of course we will continue to monitor and adjust settings as appropriate but we feel that the bulk of the performance tuning we are able to do is now complete.  Thank you for your patience."

It sounds like she's preparing people to accept things as they are now, or move on.

That sounds like what she will say verbatim.

12 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Yep, that's my read of it too.

$5 says we don't make it back to the Shire.  $1 says we don't make it to Mordor.

We'll make it to Mordor,  but I can't see too much happening after that.  Though I don't think it will be as drastic as a total shutdown.  I can see them going full maintenance mode while throwing stuff in the store occasionally to milk those micro-transactions.  Pulling an AC that makes all content f2p for existing accounts and removing the ability to make new ones.

20 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Yep, that's my read of it too.

$5 says we don't make it back to the Shire.  $1 says we don't make it to Mordor.

If they have to shut down before the end of the story, they can have a final BIngo quest where you go meet Bingo for a pint in one of the pubs in the Shire or maybe even at the Prancing Pony, and he hands you a book with everything he's been writing about in his travels.  Then he can say "And I added a bit of a tale from my friend Samwise Gamgee, you'll never believe what he's got up to!  His adventure makes mine look like a walk in the park!"

And the quest text can fill everyone in on all the stuff we won't get to see.  The End.  

22 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

We'll make it to Mordor,  but I can't see too much happening after that.  Though I don't think it will be as drastic as a total shutdown.  I can see them going full maintenance mode while throwing stuff in the store occasionally to milk those micro-transactions.  Pulling an AC that makes all content f2p for existing accounts and removing the ability to make new ones.

They can probably make a few bucks on more fire-sale prices of those horse collections - the all-class pack or the other groupings they have.  There would still be people who would log on to ride around.

We've already made it to Mordor... considering it will just be a copypasta of Angmar.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Doro said:

We've already made it to Mordor... considering it will just be a copypasta of Angmar.

No, there will be a different sky texture.

Correction, the sky texture will be copy and pasted from a *different* region.

1 hour ago, cossieuk said:

I cant wait for the Black Gate Big Battle. :P

Yeah, the one where we get to watch for 15 minutes as the mouth of sauron crawls out from the black gate, goes through a 10 minute dialogue with the Freeps, followed by a five minute response by the Freeps, then lets us play a skirmish for 2 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of scripted combat scenes that we have to sit through.

It'll be the greatest BB ever.

9 hours ago, Doro said:

But with 1/10 the frame rate!

What does she keep mentioning testing stuff. Turbine hasnt thoroughly tested a thing in years

33 minutes ago, Altreg01 said:

What does she keep mentioning testing stuff. Turbine hasnt thoroughly tested a thing in years

Does it turn on?  Ok, it's been tested to work.

6 hours ago, cossieuk said:

I cant wait for the Black Gate Big Battle. :P

session play using someone who wasn't there.

My money is on new round of layoffs on March the 24th, then Good Riddance instead of Good Friday. And Mordor only if it has been canned since day 1. They would have done it when they had the resources, right? They knew they'd be using it in the end.

22 hours ago, warspeech said:

Something blows up offscreen - oh hey, Frodo did it, hooray!

It doesn't have to be off screen... They could just play the audio of an eruption/explosion, and have the video fade to black.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The MMO Troll said:

It doesn't have to be off screen... They could just play the audio of an eruption/explosion, and have the video fade to black.

Yeah, and use that "shaking screen" effect for MOAR DRAMA!!!!1!!   

From Vyv, today:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?603122-Upcoming-Performance-Work&p=7553798#post7553798

"Upcoming Performance Work

This week we have a few things coming online we hope will improve some of the issues you have been experiencing since the Data Center move.

EDIT: I just got word from my operations team that the circuit change will not be able to be made tomorrow after all. I do not have a new ETA at this time but it is still something we are actively working to get done ASAP.

Soon we will be switching over to a new ISP circuit which should help get those of you on connections going through unnecessary hops, come through the quickest channels to our servers. We expect our EU players will see more of a change from this than others, but it may help others as well. There will be no downtime besides possibly a 10 min service hiccup around that time. We would love to hear how things feel for you after that. 

Additionally this weekend we will be placing Update 18 on Bullroarer for it's first Open Beta session. In this build we will have much of the content going out with U18 but it will also have the following items we hope will improve performance in various areas:

- Awesonium upgrade to fix the store crashes some folks are seeing

- Login Server fix to the "Server Full" error

- New graphics setting options for reducing graphics and client load in PvMP areas

- Reducing the data footprint of the Minas Tirith and Pelennor areas

More details and patch notes to come towards the end of the week. 

We hope that you will have a chance to jump in and help test these things out with us and keep providing your feedback here and in /bug. We are reading all of it, even when we can not respond. Your feedback makes a difference!

Thank you,

Vyvyanne"

Well at least they straightout admit that the network packets were going in circles inside areas of their control.

That's progress I guess.

3 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

Well at least they straightout admit that the network packets were going in circles inside areas of their control.

That's progress I guess.

indeed, especially after the whole "majority of the problems have been fixed" statement a few weeks ago.  my personal opinion, once Frelorn made the statement on the OF that they only receive a few bug reports a day and applied the logic that there isn't a serious issue (because Turbine doesn't play their own game after all)...i think they were inundated with bug reports out the ass, which served as a wake up call.  as little as it is, this is the most communication we've seen from them in ages.

i find it curious that they are putting update 18 on BR.  knowing how Turbine rushes updates to live bugged to hell and back, i find it strange they are looking to repeat this failed pattern with so many outstanding issues present.

So this is the only thing server related that she discusses (other than the login error):

Soon we will be switching over to a new ISP circuit which should help get those of you on connections going through unnecessary hops, come through the quickest channels to our servers.

There is nothing there about fixing the new server issues causing lag, right? Makes me think they have no clue why the new servers are causing lag.

Meanwhile, they are telling DDO players to change their port forwarding - even if they never used port forwarding before.

well, there are probably some cases where port forwarding improves things by accident ;)

Does anyone remember when the last couple of lay-off rounds hit Turbine?

Edit: I just accidentily checked their website and it is updated :O

So it was never about improving performance. Freelorn finally admits:

We moved to the new datacenter for multiple reasons including cost effectiveness and space. We are moving the sites this week because it is time to do so based on the contract at our old datacenter expiring soon. This was a business decision made by us here at Turbine, not the execs at WB. 

Looks to me like they did the datacenter move because they wanted to reduce spending on Lotro and DDO.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?603192-The-M%C3%BBmak-in-the-room

Duh.  

I don't know why in last 4-5 years there was those expectations or hopes that somehow WB/Turbine will start spending more on a product that is in decline.

Noone will do such a thing.  

When there was huge hype for F2P conversions then some funds increase has taken place, but that is because there was hype(along with data that it bring mroe revenues) for F2P amongst MMO playerbase and so there was data/promise of growth again.   Once that died out (quickly), spending started to decrease again and will decrease until Lotro is shut down.