Jump to content
LOTROCommunity

Data Centre Move on 11th January 2016.


Recommended Posts

On 18.01.2016 at 10:07 PM, Palpatine said:

That's the difference between amateurs and professionals. WoW is going on its 12th year, added tons of "shit" over the years including improved textures, graphics, longer view distance, better shaders, and yes, even DX11 but with meaningful and visible improvements and not just fluff like LOTRO, and yet the game runs smooth as silk and the combat responsiveness is still better than LOTRO's has ever been...

While WoW is tanking hard it is still very popular and brings lots of revenue.   Kinda silly to compare it with some obscure small playerbase niche mmorpg like Lotro.

Even if Lotro employees and management would be best professionals in whole industry, it would not help much if/when there is simply not enough people and budget to develop and manage game properly.

 

You want quality you need to pay good money, simple as that.  Goes both for consumers and employees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think i'd hire those people before a datacenter move, but that's just me

Frelorn brought up in a live stream yesterday that the European servers will not yet be moving to Amsterdam as originally planned. Instead, they will be hosted in the same New Jersey facility as the N

Something blows up offscreen - oh hey, Frodo did it, hooray!

the OF continues to baffle me.  Frelorn got rid of the original "stickied" thread behind the guise of "it was getting too long and a new one is easier to read through"...but that is just PR speak for a smaller thread filled with complaints and issues looks better than a huge one.  and let's face it, if he was doing his job, the size of the thread really wouldn't matter.

the sad part, when things show signs of getting marginally better people get all excited--all while not realizing that even a better situation on the new hardware is still worse than how things were on the old hardware.  and I can't help but think of when Frelorn boasted at how super duper the new data center would be and how they didn't really need to keep 10 servers open, that the new hardware could easily handle the whole population with just two servers.  yeah, sure.

and can someone please tell why the fuck IC is still listed at the top of their website?  didn't that massive failure shut down over 6 months ago??

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Papi said:

the OF continues to baffle me.  Frelorn got rid of the original "stickied" thread behind the guise of "it was getting too long and a new one is easier to read through"...but that is just PR speak for a smaller thread filled with complaints and issues looks better than a huge one.

Yeah, they're probably hoping for it to sink out of sight in the next few days. Sweeping their dirt under the carpet.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you read the last 15 posts in that long Official thread, you will see why Freelorn closed it. Nothing too bad, but a few people were starting to strongly question and criticize Turbine. We can't have that now.  

_________________________________________________________________________

These seems (to me) to be a new current of discontent in the Official Forums, including players discussing how they refuse to answer about the servers moving to the EU. It looks to me like Turbine either has decided not to move them, or has decided to wait and decide later. It seems very unlikely they are still planning to move them to the EU and just are refusing to tell us that. 

This gem got shut down as fast as Freelorn could type another non-answer.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594987-Vyvyanne-Where-is-the-official-information-on-EU-datacenter-you-promissed

EDIT: And Frelorn removed his reply from the Dev Tracker! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MusicMachine said:

Yeah, they're probably hoping for it to sink out of sight in the next few days. Sweeping their dirt under the carpet.

 

1 hour ago, nosam9 said:

If you read the last 15 posts in that long Official thread, you will see why Freelorn closed it. Nothing too bad, but a few people were starting to strongly question and criticize Turbine. We can't have that now.  

_________________________________________________________________________

These seems (to me) to be a new current of discontent in the Official Forums, including players discussing how they refuse to answer about the servers moving to the EU. It looks to me like Turbine either has decided not to move them, or has decided to wait and decide later. It seems very unlikely they are still planning to move them to the EU and just are refusing to tell us that. 

This gem got shut down as fast as Freelorn could type another non-answer.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594987-Vyvyanne-Where-is-the-official-information-on-EU-datacenter-you-promissed

Agreed.  The first thread has already dropped off the front page for me.  Let's preserve the link here just for old time's sake:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?593588-Servers-are-back-Online-Official-Thread&p=7515582#post7515582

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

In all fairness, the non-response is actually the smart thing to do here

Not at all. This is not a sudden crisis. They have had 2 weeks to say "we are still planning on moving the servers to the EU". They have been unable to say that. It is pretty clear at this point they do NOT have a plan to move the servers to the EU. They have either decided No, or they are going to decide later.   

They just don't want to face the backlash when they admit they are not going to do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are instructions Turbine is giving to their costumers in order to play the game with their fancy new datacenter: 

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594790-Port-Forwarding-update-and-changes-Important!&highlight=triggering

I'm no expert, but this seems like a lot of hoops for players to jump through to make Turbine's game work properly.

It's all rather moot for me since I cannot even log in. Just get a 'Installing Pre-Reqs' message. :/  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an addition to the above:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594793-Official-New-Server-Hardware-Thread&p=7523627#post7523627

Frelorn is offlineCommunity Manager
 
Join Date
Jul 2006
Location
Westwood, MA
Posts
1,349

The port forwarding change is just for those folks who are already having to do this for whatever reason. All we are pointing out is that the port range has changed, which for most users will not matter and they have no need to do this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tinker said:

Here are instructions Turbine is giving to their costumers in order to play the game with their fancy new datacenter: 

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594790-Port-Forwarding-update-and-changes-Important!&highlight=triggering

I'm no expert, but this seems like a lot of hoops for players to jump through to make Turbine's game work properly.

It's all rather moot for me since I cannot even log in. Just get a 'Installing Pre-Reqs' message. :/  

 

I had the "stuck at Installing Pre-Reqs" thing happening for a few days this week on my copy of the Bullroarer client.  I'd never had that problem before, and I hadn't made any changes to anything on my computer (I manage updates myself, don't let them auto-install).  Yesterday I tried it again and it magically worked fine again.

That doesn't help in your case, I know, but I did want to let you know that sometimes it clears up all by itself.  I have seen threads on the OF about that problem, don't know if there's anything useful in them but maybe you can look there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a new one. Tinker, maybe it's just as well that you're having problems if this is the kind of thing that'll happen in the game now - 

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594793-Official-New-Server-Hardware-Thread&p=7525828#post7525828

"New problem to add to the list with random disconnects.... Unable to cross world zone boundaries. My character was trying to go from Bruinen Source West to Bruinen Source North and rubberbanded back to BS West no matter how many times I tried and even restarting client did not help. My internet is good and pings to other addresses fine. Several Players in World chat were reporting same problem at the time.

Problem: Can not cross world zone boundaries; results in rubberbanding back to originating zone.
Server: Crickhollow 4:45pm est
Bug report submitted ingame."

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, warspeech said:

Here's a new one. Tinker, maybe it's just as well that you're having problems if this is the kind of thing that'll happen in the game now - 

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594793-Official-New-Server-Hardware-Thread&p=7525828#post7525828

"New problem to add to the list with random disconnects.... Unable to cross world zone boundaries. My character was trying to go from Bruinen Source West to Bruinen Source North and rubberbanded back to BS West no matter how many times I tried and even restarting client did not help. My internet is good and pings to other addresses fine. Several Players in World chat were reporting same problem at the time.

Problem: Can not cross world zone boundaries; results in rubberbanding back to originating zone.
Server: Crickhollow 4:45pm est
Bug report submitted ingame."

Thanks Warspeech. Yes, I finally was able to connect tonight. Have lost connection almost every time I walk into a room or port to another area. It's super annoying. Folks on wc are joking about the Turbine hamsters dying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2016 at 3:38 AM, Jedy2 said:

And I still claim that The Rift was the best raid of all the MMO's I've played, requiring mastery of group and individual skills . Now, all this content is just re-cycled garbage. 

People like me never got to enjoy it.  I joined the game too late for it to give for-the-time top level gear and I never found a group at appropriate levels when I had a character in the right levels.  

The never scaled that raid so that settles it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2016 at 3:33 PM, Almagnus1 said:

The main performance problem we're facing is that it doesn't matter how optimized the backend is if you've got a client program that's an unoptimized mess.  Everyone sees the client problem, and throws in the towel as the server upgrade did nothing - despite that possibly being far from the truth.

first week after the move was horrendous!  that first Friday downtime after the data center move seemed to improve some of the most egregious issues with movement and skill delays.  but disconnects persisted into the following week, (as well as other loading issues.)

the last downtime, think it was a (Thursday) now seems to have addressed some of the disconnections.

so whilst things have improved, it certainly still doesn't feel like a total improvement...  i still get occasional vault or AH lag, & whilst my character movement in game has improved (both in and out of combat) & in the crowds of Dol Amroth or Bree, or alone on the landscape...  on occasion i will still get the frame rate jankyness & screen hitching, or micro lags.  vault lag still happens, though less frequent.

there is still room for improvement on the back end, but i too wonder how long it will be before those improvements run headlong into a wall by issues with the client.

anyway, one of the biggest improvements for me has been load times.  with the exception of when the load hangs on some data that it can't quite process, that in the past was resulting in a high number of disconnects...  everything loads pretty fast for me now.  if i escape through the opening Warner Bros. & Turbine logo animations to the character screen...  from log-in to having an actual character in game is usually under 30 seconds.  portals (that don't hang on data, or disconnect) are almost instant, or by a second, give or take microseconds.

whilst i haven't done much in the way of using a warsteed, basic mount movement & character movement through the world is improved, though the occasional jankyess, while less frequent than before, is still too frequent.

so i indeed wonder how long it will be before the client issues must also be addressed if they intend to see the full benefit of this data center move.

also from what i have heard, PvMP is still a clusterfuck.  that new Osgiliath map sure fell short.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23.01.2016 at 4:28 AM, Darmokk said:

People like me never got to enjoy it.  I joined the game too late for it to give for-the-time top level gear and I never found a group at appropriate levels when I had a character in the right levels.  

The never scaled that raid so that settles it.

Scaled raid would not get you even close to same expeirence.  

For good content you need it to be done by hand for players at specific point in game.

Scaling will only give you poor imitiation always. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, drul said:

Scaled raid would not get you even close to same expeirence.  

For good content you need it to be done by hand for players at specific point in game.

Scaling will only give you poor imitiation always. 

I second this.  Real progression raiding ended with ToO.  That scaled crap was just that.  I've raided in 4 different mmos.  Lotro easily had the least content but the early stuff was well thought out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, drul said:

Scaled raid would not get you even close to same expeirence.  

For good content you need it to be done by hand for players at specific point in game.

Scaling will only give you poor imitiation always. 

Well I wasn't saying it should have been scaled in the first place.

I am using it as an example why it is bad to constantly devalue achievement.  This constant increase in max level, in exchange usually for mindless grind and bad feeling awards, doesn't really lead anywhere.

It would have been much better to put an exponential curve at growth so that a larger number of player's characters are compressed in a space where they can all have a fun challenge in some of the prime content not released this year.

Yes, that particularly applies if the content release in the last 12 months is boring grind in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

since my last post back at the end of January, most of the gains i was experiencing have evaporated, or diminished.  game is now much like it was in every respect before the data center move, or worse.

i think they got it to a point of function & are now once again dialing back the bandwidth incrementally to the point of cost savings where complaints & grievances are at expected and acceptable levels.

i won't put the final nail in the coffin until they shut those 19 servers off for log-ins as that will no doubt drastically alter how resources are going to be allocated from that point on, but that will be the last point in time where i will say there may be improvements...

given Turbines track record, it is highly unlikely.  and it looks likely that this data center move, whilst on newer hardware with more robust memory set ups was a selling point...  with each passing day, it is looking to be entirely in the category of a cheaper hosting contract, over any other reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darmokk said:

I cannot imagine we are looking at a plain problem of not buying enough bandwidth.

if you are paying attention to what i actual wrote...  the first week post data center move was horrendous; then they addressed some of that, but disconnects were still abundant in frequency.  they addressed the bulk of disconnects as well & at by that point things were OK, (passable/average.)  i would have even said, better than before the data center move.  but that passable state was short lived.

the point where i state they may be dialing back the bandwidth is in addition too the other issues.  which has resulted in my noticing a slow diminishing of performance over the past 2 weeks.

it could also be something chronically wrong with how the system accesses/makes available/utilizes memory, possibly both.  but the frequency & severity of circumstances when things don't just lag in response, but in worst cases actually go brain dead, has been incrementally increasing over the past 2 weeks.  & it is most dramatically noticed in instanced content...  from storied instances to Epic Big Battles, (solo or group.)  but general landscape movement & combat has also taken a hit over time.

& of course before some smart ass chirps in & blames my system, or connection/provider...  user end lag will not stop a mob from continuing to beat you down.  years ago when i DID have a substandard system, lag on my end would never stop a mob from continuing to lay out a beating on me.  now i am experiencing mobs on open landscape going completely brain-dead, or spawn timers stalling out, etc.  & it gets worse in an instance.  i can only imagine how bad PvMP must get.  regardless, the stuff i am describing is server side.  what is amazing is during all this skill lock-up, or interfaces that stop responding...  i am still able to move about & if i am not on a war-mount, that movement in most cases is unimpeded by frame hitching, or other forms of movement lag.

anyway Darmokk, Turbine have been working on issues & will likely continue to tune things in major ways until after the 19 servers close on April 4th...

right now, some of the most mundane systems lag, or just utterly stop responding all together.  & this past weekend (same goes for mid-week) was worse than the previous & we both know it isn't because there are more players.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

DDO got moved to the new datacenter yesterday.  They got one day advance notice.  (They had been told early March, but not specifically when until the day before it happened.  People are experiencing lag - what a surprise!

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/472958-Downtime-Notice-5-00-AM-5-00-PM-Eastern-(-5-GMT)-Tuesday-March-8th

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warspeech said:

DDO got moved to the new datacenter yesterday.  They got one day advance notice.  

That's ugly. Something must have happened to do it so suddenly.

edit:
I love the guy on the DDO forums telling everyone that the Lotro move went pretty well and the game plays better than before. And that players are only upset because there will be no EU server - not because of any server/performance issues.

_____________________________________________

What I want to know is how is it OK with players that the new servers have so many problems and they haven't fixed them for so long. I can't imagine a bigger fail that they could allow to remain unfixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

It's because most players have utter crap for computers, so those us with actual gaming machines are the minority.  Most of the issues they are more than willing to blame on the older machine, and it just works.

Which they've been doing for years and it's worked so well they've even got the other players doing it.  Some people actually believe that a person should put 1500 dollar video cards in their pcs to get a 9 yr old game to run smoothly.  Most people are nice enough when they suggest someone upgrade their pc but there are the few that say things like "Stop being a poor piece of shit and get a better computer."  

Now I'm off to go bend space and time on my quantum computer that can't play Lotro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Now I'm off to go bend space and time on my quantum computer that can't play Lotro.

Did you try port forwarding. Turbine staff are now telling DDO players they may need to change their port forwarding. (No, I am not joking - they are telling DDO players this).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...