LOTROCommunity

Gaming Recommendations for 2016?

I am seriously struggling to find some new games that capture my imagination in 2016. I must have overlooked something in reading some of the mainstream PC gaming websites and MMO sites.

Can anyone suggest any new MMOs or single player games that are worth a look for this year?

In MMOs I am looking for something that has challenging and interesting PVE content including group and raids, with PVP content to participate in. Not a great fan of persistent world PVP. I like to be able to do it when i feel like it, not having to watch my back all the time. This is the big elephant in the room though, cannot find any MMOs, at the moment that hold my attention. I even contemplated playing WoW again, and I quit that at the end of the Burning Crusade. I just tried SWTOR again and had leveled to 50 by Nar Shaddaa. Content was face rolling easy. Suspect LOTRO would be an utter waste of time, and having read up on the Lore-master changes it does not sound like the class it once was (CC not being in demand any more, I also suspect an auto attacking pet could kill most landscape mobs).

In single player games tend to be more RPG or strategy focussed, but I am open to suggestions in other genres.

Quite looking forward to:

Torment:Tides of Numeria: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/ and Warhammer: Total War

Am also playing Elite Dangerous atm, together with the europa barbarorum 2 modification for Medieval total war 2.

I have been playing Legends of Heroes Trails in the Sky Second Chapter.  The first game came out years ago but was released on steam in 2014.  The second chapter was only released in the west late last year.  Both games are huge.  They are JRPGs, with the classic turn based fights.  You fight on a grid so you have to move around to reach the monsters rather than just standing in a row like Final Fantasy game.  So there is some strategy involved.

They are go fun and will easily take over 50 hours each.  I have them on my PS Vita and they are grate for playing while on the train to and from work. 

As for games coming out this year, I am looking forward to the new South Park game, if you havent played the first one The Stick of Truth, that is worth a look.  Also FF 15 should come out this year.

Thanks will look at Legends of Heroes Trails. Many moons ago i played and completed Phantasy Star II on the Mega Drive. Not really played any since.

Mallorn will certainly consider those, console gaming maybe something i have to re-quaint with. I just find myself playing retro stuff on PC for the most part.

Regarding MMOs, 2016 does not look like a promising year.

The Witcher 3 Blood&Wine expansion

Dishonored 2
Mirror’s Edge Catalyst
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Mafia 3
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dark Souls 3
Hyper Light Drifter
Dragon’s Dogma for PC
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Hellblade
XCOM 2
SpellForce 3
Street Fighter 5

Exanima (once it is out of early access& 1.0 version is released)

Cossacks 3

There is more, but I just dont have the time to make this list longer atm. 

Post-Scriptum:  If you read only mainstream sites like IGN, PCGamer, etc  chances are you're gonna miss A LOT of potentially good single player / co-op / multiplayer games.   For MMOs I've got no idea as I've stopped playing them.

Even I'm more optimistic.  I'll finish Witcher 2 and then do the 3.  I also don't remember why I stopped playing the last Wolfenstein, it was pretty cool.

LOTRO, which I wanted to try this week to see where my characters ended up, has a patch error and I'm not going to p2p a new dist (this is on the mac).

I'm looking at no mans sky for my kick back and relax game, not competitive, not taxing or intensive. My worry with that game is the hype/reality ratio, from my experience the more hype a game gets the more dissapointment it brings.

MMOs look thin on the ground and certainly nothing new that will be groundbreaking in any way.

Witcher is about the only game I look forward to new content coming for, maybe fallout 4 but I can see that getting tiresome very quickly.

lotro isn't on my list at all, tried the other day to get back into it, lasted 20 mins, that's definitely a game I used to play now.

This year for me is one of the leanest in terms of games I'm looking forward too, sadly.

Whatever anyone does, steer clear of Fallout 4. It's ridiculously buggy, very dull (practically just a re-skin of Fallout 3), and the only bit I've been interested in was rebuilding settlements, which is basically just a restricted version of Sims.

That Far Cry Primal looks interesting, though.

50 minutes ago, Doro said:

Whatever anyone does, steer clear of Fallout 4. It's ridiculously buggy, very dull (practically just a re-skin of Fallout 3), and the only bit I've been interested in was rebuilding settlements, which is basically just a restricted version of Sims.

Yes far cry primal forgot about that.

Your probably right about fallout 4 but I never played any fallouts before this one so its all new to me, but as I said would seem it could get dull quickly especially if it's a reskin.of a game you have already played.

There is one other obscure thing I would like to see and would be interested in playing is the silmarillion mod for Rome total war which is back in progress after a quiet period, hopefully see that this year and looks very detailed and lore abiding.

On 08/01/2016 at 1:22 PM, Doro said:

On the flip side, I enjoyed Fallout 4. Not the best in the series for sure but still fun enough.

13 hours ago, Mallorn said:

This mmorpg currently in development looks quite interesting.

https://www.identityrpg.com/

Looks nice indeed, but it's open world PvP, not usually my cup of tea. Then again, online gaming at all wasn't my cup of tea back in the day so we'll see ;)

• 1 month later...

I have been enjoying - or at least I was, before my gaming rig bit the dust - the following games:

• Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Rebel Galaxy

All but DD I picked up during the end-of-year Steam sale. If you like single-player Sci-Fi games like "Freelancer", or TV shows like "Firefly", make sure you try out "Rebel Galaxy". It is loads of fun.

I'll know after a beta weekend or 3 how Runescape's NXT client is working out, but so far it promises to bring the game's graphics back to the 21st century while running on XP and XP-era machines.

It has raids now, by the way, but I'll confess that I have yet to try them on account of finally burning out on WoW-clone raid mechanics after my (really awesome btw) stint in FFXIV.  Back on topic in any case, the dungeons and boss fights and raids are rather nicely balanced imho and varied enough that you can adjust them to your IRL responsibilities.... and the lack of need to alt to play different classes is rather nice.