LOTROCommunity

Possibly EU servers will be located in the US now

nosam9

Turbine suddenly admitted on a live stream, and today on the Official Forums, that the EU servers will now move to the US data center in NJ. They knew this but for some reason did not tell players until yesterday, when asked on a Live Stream.  

Turbine staff have made some vague statements that they will "re-evaluate" and "everything's going to go into New Jersey and we will progress from there." More telling is that, when asked, they refuse to simply say that EU servers will be moved to the EU at a later time.  

I have no idea if they will still move them to Amsterdam, but it is concerning that, when clearly asked, Vyvanne and Freelorn are unable to say "yes, they will move to the EU later".
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?592466-New-Data-Center-confusion

People on the other forums are not happy (the few people left over there).

I really can't believe they closed the thread without a very good reason.  Other threads have been able to run for many more pages with abuse being thrown - so I have to assume the "overwhelming amount of personal attacks" should be interpreted as "players voicing unhappiness towardsTurbine".

Why do I have a sneaky feeling they won't commit because they are going to see how it goes in the new data centre.  Perhaps they are thinking it will resolve many performance issues and so they will get less complaints from Europe, meaning an EU data centre is not required - thus saving them a few bucks.

I haven't been following to closely but isn't the EU Data Center already in place? It seems I remember reading that at some point.

If it is, I suspect that they've found a potential issue with the move and don't want to deal with 2 teams in different locations trying to fix it. So move everyone to one place, develop a set of procedures, then move to the EU Center.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if there is a multi-day shutdown at this point, followed by multiple restarts and maintenance. Prediction: Some basic game system, like chat, will be unusable for a while. Something that doesn't play nice with the 32-64 upgrade. 

Turbine let everyone think that the EU servers would be going live on Monday, until they were asked and finally admitted a few days ago that all the servers were going to NJ on Monday. They have been unable to state that the move to EU data centers will happen later. 

Vyvyanne is online nowExecutive Producer

We will have an official statement about the Amsterdam move in the next week or so. We are still gathering information and any official statements regarding EU have to be translated, so they go through more process.

For now, the current status is that all servers EU and US are being moved to NJ today in a more centralized location for all internet traffic and new hardware, so we hope all customers worldwide will see improvement. Beyond that is still TBD. That is all I will say on the subject for now.

Thread here:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?593024-Request-for-official-comment-Status-of-EU-servers&p=7515232#post7515232

Ha ha. Pretty obvious they have changed their plan and probably will not have a EU datacenter at all. It is telling Vyvanne could not just say "yes, we still will be moving the EU servers to the EU".

I love how they cannot say anything for weeks because they need to translate it.

A very large number of EU people posting joined the forums in June 2011 - when Codies lost the rights and it all passed over to Turbine.  Why do I suspect a large number of those transferees would have been lifers.  So the money would have been paid to Codies and not Turbine.  Maybe much of the EU is lost revenue to Turbine hence the lack of enthusiasm to keep us on side.

Just like a woman, I'm probably exaggerating to the hilt and imagining all sorts of foul play!  You'll never change us :)

2 hours ago, nosam9 said:

Ha ha. Pretty obvious they have changed their plan and probably will not have a EU datacenter at all. It is telling Vyvanne could not just say "yes, we still will be moving the EU servers to the EU".

I love how they cannot say anything for weeks because they need to translate it.

That is because translating the entry for "Yes, we will be moving the EU data to the EU datacenter at a later point in time." from the Turbine dictionary into $language requires said entry to be written, first.

That, obviously, would be a very difficult process. Likely involving running some cloud-based weasel-word generator for a few weeks until it comes up with a suitably blunt and honest answer (see refs). Iterations of the whole and parts required, of course, due to management conformance.

SNy

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling Freelorn and Vyvanne have been dreading telling the player base they decided not to have any servers in the EU. So they put it off until we got in the situation we are in now. And then their bosses told them to just delay telling the players anything.

in the end, i think the fall out from this mess (if the Amsterdam data center doesn't pan out) will be minimal.  sure, people will bitch...but i have a sneaky suspicion that Turbine gets away with the majority of crap they pull because people will put up with just about anything to be able to play around in Middle Earth.

Servers are back up and it still runs like shit for me.  I wasn't expecting anything different.  The lag is still there and yes I do mean lag.  Huge amounts of stuttering when transitioning between areas.  Game comes to a crawl when I access and scroll through my wallet.  Same ol' shit.

1 minute ago, SNy said:

Can't say I am much suprised by reading that. Remember, the lag originates client side, and you haven't gotten an update to the fubared client of theirs, have you?

SNy

Have they ever released a client update?

Played for a while and was very disappointed.  Ping was very variable - highest was about 140.  But packet loss was horrible - much much worse than recently and was making the game unplayable.  Started in Bree with other players jumping about slightly.  Then went off to Ram Duath - no players there, but the mobs were jumping all over the place as I was fighting them.

When I was in game, World Chat was very quiet but that was apparently because the chat server connection had gone down.  I turned WC off to see if it made any difference to performance and it didn't.  

So much for improvement.

3 hours ago, Papi said:

in the end, i think the fall out from this mess (if the Amsterdam data center doesn't pan out) will be minimal.  sure, people will bitch...but i have a sneaky suspicion that Turbine gets away with the majority of crap they pull because people will put up with just about anything to be able to play around in Middle Earth.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Have they ever released a client update?

Well, sure.

But those mostly added more layers of cruft or broken features (often both, naturally). I am sure the rare, random fixes have instantly been thwarted by a handful of new issues.

SNy

I would not bet a single penny on the servers getting back to Europe. Lies and disappointment once more.

Even with the current servers' disaster, I don't think it's Turbine's tech who's having the hardest time - it's PR, struggling to twist words into some minimally acceptable announcement - and deciding who's the poor soul who's going to break the news. It probably won't be Vyv.