LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

Is DDO getting more love than LOTRO??

i can't help but wonder if maybe LOTRO isn't the real cash cow at Turbine.  when you compare the producer's letters and the amount of content coming up...am i missing something or is DDO getting the better deal (in terms of resources allocated)?

https://www.ddo.com/en/news/ddo-producers-letter

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer

I don't think it's about love as it's more a matter of scale.  If AC were still getting updates it would not be surprising to see them getting a ton of stuff that Lotro hardly ever receives.  Lotro is a resource pig and as such requires a lot more work and money to make anything run half ass.  Now if Turbine didn't have DDO that wouldn't necessarily translate into more money for Lotro.  DDO is simply cheaper to create things for than Lotro.  However, this is all speculation my part, but I have played both, and DDO looks like watercolored ass compared to Lotro and Lotro is certainly showing its age.

The general feeling in DDO in the past 6 months is that things are really bad, and they were as neglected as Lotro. I don't know if that changed recently, but I am pretty sure Turbine management thinks the same about DDO as Lotro: spend little, there is no future in it.

37 minutes ago, nosam9 said:

The general feeling in DDO in the past 6 months is that things are really bad, and they were as neglected as Lotro. I don't know if that changed recently, but I am pretty sure Turbine management thinks the same about DDO as Lotro: spend little, there is no future in it.

I wonder where they think their future is then... IC cancelled, AC not in development anymore, DDO and LotRO both sinking...

Jeez. I just visited their website and IC is still billed the first as if nothing had happened. For real, Turbine, clean up your act, this is embarrassing.

Maybe they want to send a message to us:

"Hey, look, don't play our games, because we don't care about them. For more than seven months now, we cannot even make right our website which has nothing more than four pictures."

10 hours ago, MusicMachine said:

I wonder where they think their future is then... IC cancelled, AC not in development anymore, DDO and LotRO both sinking...

Jeez. I just visited their website and IC is still billed the first as if nothing had happened. For real, Turbine, clean up your act, this is embarrassing.

They put their future very clearly in Infinite Crisis. So much money went out of Lotro and in to Infinite Crisis development. They just did an extremely bad job at the game, and could not write good netcode to have minimal lag.

IC flopped, they laid off staff twice. Now they are focusing on mobile game. That is what Turbine management hope is going to make they money in the future (just like they hoped IC would). I think if IC was successful, Lotro would get even less money spent on it. But with IC shut down right after launch, they don't want to be a company with only failed games, so they decided to spend a bit to keep Lotro and DDO running. But they main focus now is creating the new mobile games.

They really screwed their planning up by betting on IC. If they spent all that money on Lotro and advertising during the LOTR/Hobbit movies, they could have a really thriving game. Instead, people who went to see the Hobbit had to sit through ads for GW2 and WoW. Turbine wasn't even willing to show off Lotro and PAX and instead spent all this money pushing Infinite Crisis.

LOTRO is what an MMO look like that has been sucked dry for years.

Shame on them for never fixing the group finder, the lag problems or the broken loot system.

Yeah, I was shocked to see IC at PAX Prime instead of LotRO, as I was hoping to see it have a presence there, especially since ESO had a huge showing that year.

Should have taken that as a sign of the beginning of the end for LotRO, as Turbine was (yet another) game company that tried to crack into what they perceived to be a lucrative market of the MOBA, but failed to understand that people have so much invested with the skins that getting them to switch games is next to impossible unless another MOBA is so clearly better that players WANT to migrate and are willing to leave the old content behind them.

That's one of the issues that Blizzard is facing with HotS, despite that MOBA being (IMO) better than LoL.  MOBAs are a market that's extroadinarily difficult to break into because you have to actually innovate (HotS innovation is a stronger team focus than LoL by shifting the focusing off of character building and on map objectives), not recycle LoL.  Then you have the problem of creating a fan group because you essentially have to peel players from either DOTA 2 or LoL.

Compare that to MMOs, which involves you putting together an MMO with average to good gameplay, then playing to your strengths - which is exactly what has made FFXIV a successful subscription MMO because they did just that.  Once you have your niche market, you cater to them, and don't shift your focus away from that market - which is what LotRO is guilty of doing that.  Shifting focus will cause you to hemorrhage your playerbase, as we've seen many examples of that throughout the years.

Turbine and their parent company (wb) have been failing on all game fronts.  Most of the blame falls upon WB.   The genre does not matter.  The only semi successful game they have released in the last 3 years has been Shadows of Mordor.  Maybe include Mortal Kombat X.  But its full of micro transactions.  

The problem with this is that they have control over some of the most popular ip's in the world.  Batman for starters.  The last 2 Batman games have had serious problems.  A PC port being broken with one and just a broken game that got dlc instead of patches with the other.  WB is a total mess. 

I think you need to ask a DDO player if they feel they are getting love before assuming they get more than Lotro players. You will certainly find more ex players than current.  Quite honestly neither of the games has aged well.  You can't run mmos with skeleton crews.  They've done it for years and it's only contributed to a race to the bottom of the market.   

The money they threw at IC is only further proof that the studio lacks talent and direction.  The move to mobile games is only further proof that Turbine is going to keep changing directions until the studio closes.  They will keep entering flooded markets until then.  

No turbine game is receiving love. They are just receiving enough development to try and maintain their customer bases, but they fail at that as well.  Looking at what the games got in terms of content in say circa before 2010 compared to today is joke worthy.  Lotro and DDO are no longer even on the map when mmos at discussed.  How can you tell?  Look at the amount of YouTube videos there are for other mmos and then look at the amount done for these 2 games.  Most Lotro and DDO videos are well over 3 years old.  

I know there are still some folks playing both games but do you think they are even half as serious as the folks who left long ago?  I remember putting many hours into not only Lotro but DDO.  I played DDO for about a year and realized it wasn't for me.  I played Lotro for about 5 years and have played very sporadically since HD.  I actually had more fun playing Lotro than 5 years of Warcraft.  They were doing something right.  Then it fell off a cliff.  I suspect WB is behind most of it with some blame going towards Kate Paiz.  If she had been able to retain more players with ROR and HD then Lotro would still be a mid market mmo.