LOTROCommunity

If they never fix the new problems in Lotro ...

nosam9

7 hours ago, MusicMachine said:

Where's that graphic from? I was looking for something like it a couple of days ago.

My own login counter rate charts. There are a lot more here. They are a bit messy without explanation.  Look at the image file name. "all" or "<servername>".  "ytd" == year to date.

Per server first, then summaries for all servers. "Cool servers" == former US servers before EU servers moved to US.

http://wavehh.dyndns.org/lo/index5.html

I have more useful explanations somewhere on this forum from years ago.

4 hours ago, warspeech said:

From Vyv, today:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?596073-Datacenter-Status-Update&p=7528029#post7528029

"Hi everyone. 

With our datacenter transition still creating issues for many of you, I wanted to provide you with the latest update regarding the server stability issues. 

While we have accomplished quite a bit we have much work to do to provide you with the service you deserve. When we moved our hardware from Boston to New Jersey, we not only upgraded our hardware, but we also had to move from an outdated Operating System to a new one. We also moved to a more modern set up of physical plus virtualized machines vs. just physical machines like we had before. 

As with all software, there are a number of connection points to configure just right in a move as complicated as this and now that we are in the new location on the new hardware and OS we have found some issues in our configurations. We are working around the clock to address these issues as you have seen from the various down times you have experienced over the last couple weeks. Additionally we are working on code side fixes to correct the disconnections you are seeing which has to do with the servers smoothly transitioning your characters from one server to another. This transition time was affected by the OS and hardware upgrades. 

Please note that some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have not yet caught up with our new route. If you are seeing an increased ping time since the move, please submit a bug in game with the name of the ISP you are using. Putting in a ticket directly with your internet company telling them of the issue may help as well. We already have a couple tickets in with the main ISPs we have already identified with inefficient routes to our new home.

We did do extensive testing on the new datacenter, there are many things that did not come to light until we had the full live configuration online. We will continue working on this until the service is completely back online. 

Once again we all thank you for your understanding and patience while we work through this.

Athena “Vyvyanne” Peters
Executive Producer, The Lord of the Rings Online™"

Performance analysis and engineering to make performance predictable is very difficult for a single operation system on one piece of hardware, aka a regular OS.  Paid very well, very few people who can sort out all that stuff involved.

It becomes nearly impossible to do in the face of full virtualization, aka a complete new OS running for the "guest". Those things are not usable in situations where you need tightly controlled response to I/O and never want to be CPU starved, and never want to lose the L2 or L3 cache to something else running on there.

I wouldn't run MMORPG servers in full virtual machines because I couldn't control it. I work in that field and I'm generally considered an authority on the matter of memory management in particular. In full VMs you want fluff that needs to be reliable but has no particular performance and latency challenges. A better approach for using fewer bigger physical machines for multiple things are lightweight things like Linux control groups (aka containers), FreeBSD"s jails etc.

The "routing not picked up by your ISP" thing is complete BS. The only thing that can lack pickup in that timeframe is DNS (name resolution). Your local ISP doesn't store much in the way of local IP routing. I mean they could be as insane as leaving the old IP addresses and have the whole Internet route them specially but that is highly doubtful. Costs money which they don't have.

9 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

1 hour ago, warspeech said:

I wonder if anyone will create a new "thank you for the communication!" thread to replace the one that got closed.

The usual sycophantic sheep wouldn't dare miss an opportunity to lick Turbine arse for undeserving reasons.

9 hours ago, nosam9 said:

I think a clear statement that we lost 20% of the game population would be something Vyvanne and Freelorn could not ignore. It's pretty clear evidence how badly they have screwed this up, and how it threatens the game.

You underestimate the depth of the hole they have their heads stuck into. And to quote Animal House, "All is well... All is well!!!!"

On 1/25/2016 at 6:11 PM, Darmokk said:

Looks like 20% player base down total since this stunt.

Looking at previous years, there's typically about a 10% drop in logins after the holidays. And on top of that, the servers have been unavailable for about 10% of the time since the move.

However, to balance that out, players may have been logging in twice as often due to dropped connections. So it's possible the player base is down 60%!

Or, it's possible 40% more people are playing LOTRO now, they're just logging in half as often.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

For the tech-savvy among us, does this give any more insight into the situation and the hopes of getting it fixed?

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594793-Official-New-Server-Hardware-Thread&p=7528516#post7528516

"Woah, this tool, PingPlotter, shows a packet loss of 21.3 to 32% packet loss at gls.lotro.com 198.252.160.30. 

gls.lotro.com is the 15th hop for me. The 2 hops, 13 and 14, just before that don't give any data, no ip, no ms, nothing as they are probably blocked for tools as this to show any information even if I use TCP option. However the big packet loss definetly seem to be at the destination gls.lotro.com although the in-game connection/latency tool don't show that at the same time. Very interesting.

The other hops along the way show no packet loss at all. It is only at the destination gls.lotro.com. It comes and goes but the only place along the way were it does that. Sometimes it's only 0.8% packet loss even 0 for very short periods but mostly some packet loss. It rarely goes down to 0% and mostly stays at 0.8% as the lowest and as high as 32% so far.

There are also some jitter at some routers/hops like nyk-bb2-link.telia.net 80.91.247.115 
and nyk-bb1-link.telia.net 213.155.130.247 (obviously in New York if I interpret those nyk letters correctly) Highest jitter I've seen so far is 34.75 on this hop but it goes down to no jitter at all as well.
Hop 11 (that shows no name just the ip) 206.103.215.50 has some high jitter sometimes as well.
Also at hop 12 (also not showing name just the ip) 63.236.3.130 has jitter sometimes.
but the jitter comes and goes. Also no packet loss so far on any of these hops."

17 hours ago, Papi said:

snowlock is a piece of work sometimes, there is this gem:  https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?596088-Soo-is-this-the-issue-in-a-nutshell&p=7528870#post7528870

in a nutshell, he is praising the executive producer for...well, being the executive producer (simply doing her job).

LMAO

I'm encouraging an executive producer who doesn't want to talk to us, to talk to us.  I still like LOTRO (mainly because it's LOTR) and I like to hear about what is coming up because it is in my nature to like previews.  So I want this producer to talk to her community for that reason.  She didn't break LOTRO, she was on DDO, I guess I have the common sense to not fault a person for issues that arose prior to ones involvement.  Nor am I so stupid or reactionary to simply rail against an entity regardless of who is at the controls, as if the entity itself can make a change in something.

Like I told retard boy at the help desk, being a hater is just the other side of the coin of being a fanboi, as unconditional anything, love or hate, is irrational, and thus, stupid.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Snowlock said:

She didn't break LOTRO, she was on DDO, I guess I have the common sense to not fault a person for issues that arose prior to ones involvement.  Nor am I so stupid or reactionary to simply rail against an entity regardless of who is at the controls, as if the entity itself can make a change in something

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_%28legal_term%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling#Negative_use

Oh no! We have server instability in TSW..... I sure hope they'll handle this with the same professionalism as Turbine...oh wait,

Shambala has been temporarily disabled.

Hey guys,

If you are one of those that logged in right after the Update 1.13.2 went live, you probably noticed "some" server instability.

The issue was caused by the delivery system of the Shambala rewards. As the rewards get claimed and deleted from the database, the deletion of rows in the database in real time caused an unforeseen issue due to the amount of simultaneous players queries. This caused the database to stall and eventually caused the server to enter a deadlock.

This never happened during any of the internal tests, or on the Test Servers. It all looked good, until thousands of clients were logged in at once, trying to send and receive those messages in the Live environment.

Unfortunately the only choice we have right now is to disable Shambala until we have the situation sorted. The team is already working on a fix for this issue, and we will patch it out as soon as it has been properly tested.

Because the issue is related to rewards being delivered and claimed, we will also need to temporarily remove the current undelivered Champion's Cache and Consolation Cache. Those rewards aren't lost, we will resend them at the same time as we re-enable Shambala.

On the plus side, the Group Finder will remain available! So feel free to keep dungeon crawling until you can get your PvP fix.

I'm truly sorry about the inconvenience this caused, and I hope you guys will remain patient for a little while longer.

Romain

3 hours ago, Snowlock said:

I'm encouraging an executive producer who doesn't want to talk to us, to talk to us.  I still like LOTRO (mainly because it's LOTR) and I like to hear about what is coming up because it is in my nature to like previews.  So I want this producer to talk to her community for that reason.  She didn't break LOTRO, she was on DDO, I guess I have the common sense to not fault a person for issues that arose prior to ones involvement.  Nor am I so stupid or reactionary to simply rail against an entity regardless of who is at the controls, as if the entity itself can make a change in something.

The main thing is when you deny that this is Turbine's fault. You are saying things almost no one agrees with, except of course some Turbine worshipers will love it. Turbine messed up. Maybe some of what you are saying is right, but not the parts denying they screwed this data center move up. No, it's not just that "things happen". They did a bad job, maybe because no on there had enough experience in this area.

Also, it's annoying when you get in a public insulting match with Almagus. Neither of you look good when that happens.

18 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Don't care as I'm seeing how much crap I can get away with on the official forums before Turbine steps in.

At everyone's expense who has to read those posts between you and Snowlock. It add nothing for anyone else and only makes reading the forums worse over there. I literally will avoid any post if I see you or Snowlock are the last poster, because of you recent spat of namecalling.

7 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

For those that play The Secret World, how do they handle itemization there?  That's also been a game that's been on the radar for a long time, mostly because of Ragnar Tornquist than anything else (because of The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Dreamfall Chapters specifically).

Well Ragnar has been gone for quite a while. He's started up a new Studio, Red-Thread, I think it's called.

Greens - have health and either heal or attack they run from QL 1-10 good for Landscape and Normal Dungeons, steady drops on landscape and mission rewards. Not Upgradeable.

Blues - have a single stat, Health, Attack or Heal., QL 1-10.5 good for Landscape and Elite Dungeons and is considered Starter Gear for Nightmare Dungeons, rare drop on Landscape, Main rewards for Elite Dungeons, some rewarded via Missions, also can be bought in-game. Not Upgradeable.

Purples - single stat, QL 1-10.9, Endgame gear never seen a drop on Landscape, main rewards in Nighmare Dungeons, Rewards for some Missions, also bought in-game. The purple drops in Dungeons are not upgradable and are generally considered "filler gear" until you get the Mission Rewards or buy the pieces, both of which are upgradeable to 10.9, possibly 11.0 but no one has completed the NM Raids so we're guessing the 11.0 upgrades are in there, lol. To upgrade gear it takes a kit and at certain spots like 10.5 an item that drops or can be bought. You never really get rid of your upgradeable purples once you get them. instead of replacing you upgrade that piece.

6 hours ago, nosam9 said:

The main thing is when you deny that this is Turbine's fault. You are saying things almost no one agrees with, except of course some Turbine worshipers will love it. Turbine messed up. Maybe some of what you are saying is right, but not the parts denying they screwed this data center move up. No, it's not just that "things happen". They did a bad job, maybe because no on there had enough experience in this area.

Also, it's annoying when you get in a public insulting match with Almagus. Neither of you look good when that happens.

I'm not denying anything.  I'm saying there is no fault.  These things happen with these kinds of conversions.  Full stop.  Are they doing it like I would do it?  No, they should be talking alot more to their customers, they should've warned them beforehand so every armchair quarterback working a help desk can't take a shot at them and in the process rile up the other mouth breathers just for the sake of their own self edification, and they should be compensating subscribers and lifers.  But the outtages, the lag, the disconnects, etc...  all par for the course with these things, as a few folks now have said who have actually done them.

Hmm, retard help desk boy trying to troll me here too. I'd think he'd have his hands full "kicking" me on the OF.  I'm willing to leave it over there, but if he starts trolling me here I'll come after him here too.

2 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

You really should change your icon to this:

130px-Pointy-Haired_Boss.jpg

So yeah, how's that history degree treating you?

Lol, whenever I see someone resorting to gifs, you're just telling me you're rolling on your back and showing me yer belly, bitch.  History degree is great, I got to drink and party in college, and still get to tell help desk shits like you what to do professionally.  Well actually not you, more like your supervisor's boss.  

6 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Hah, good one.

Idiots like you don't survive the corporate culture because you're too worried about appearance, as seen by your inability to stop responding to me.

I find this OCD behavior rather amusing, so I will freely admit to keep poking you because (quite frankly), I'm gonna see how far I can push shit on the OF.

And yeah, as far as the help desk thing goes, average help desk makes less than half of what I'm paid.  Most are lucky to be paid a third.  You don't get that kind of pay for being as technically incompetent as you are, because unlike your sorry ass, I studied my ass off in college earning a computer science degree so I wouldn't have to feel good about... how'd you put it on the OF... oh yeah...

Oh, and you should do some reading, because this article is all about crap PMs like you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointy-haired_Boss

Who says I'm a crap pm lol.  This pathological need for approval online is your gig, not mine.  You can try telling me I "need" to stop responding to you just so you can extricate yourself all you want to cochise.  Say whatever you think will make your feels feels ok.  I don't even think you're poking me.  If you were "poking me to see how far you can go on the OF" you wouldn't be doing it here as well.

Yer just very upset cause that one line:  "I work on big data coversions so I know what I'm talking about" always gives you a mouth aneurysm.  Not all the trolling and flaming and wriggling in the world can get you off the hook.

2 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Nope, I'm saying that you feel compelled to respond to anything I post.

It's as funny as it is sad.

So how do you respond?

I have absolutely no idea.  I have no idea what you're tyring to say, I think you've completely lost it. Ummm, I tend to respond to people that call me out or respond to me?  Is that what you're looking for?

6 minutes ago, Snowlock said:

No shit huh, was that before or after I said I'd leave it on the OF if almagus wanted to?

Before. The retarded thing helped, as long as the help desk one. 

I know nothing about the OF, you can do what you like there.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

Before. The retarded thing helped, as long as the help desk one. 

I know nothing about the OF, you can do what you like there.

Oh, so you knew to whom I referrred.  

Look at the other come in try to play the victim now.  He PM you?  Or you just a fellow emo in arms.  Whatever.  I didn't just wander here, I was called out.  You don't like it, worry about that.

2 hours ago, Snowlock said:

Lol, whenever I see someone resorting to gifs, you're just telling me you're rolling on your back and showing me yer belly, bitch.

I love using gifs, so fuck you with a 10-foot cactus.

Also, they're useful for summing up what would otherwise be walls of text.  Reading this thread, here's one for you:

giphy.gif