LOTROCommunity

If they never fix the new problems in Lotro ...

nosam9

3 hours ago, nosam9 said:

We finally have some better info on why the performance of Lotro can be so bad on a good PC. 
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?596801-Next-Up-Client-Performance-Issues  

So many people love to argue the game is fine and they have no lag and no issues. They can't really pretend now that the client is fine and nothing is wrong with the game.

Do people think they will ever fix the current server issues? I think they might, but it will look kind of bad if they can't fix them, and then have to announce that there will be no EU servers.  

Maybe the best plan for them will be to never say anything definite about the EU servers. People will eventually stop asking about them.

That analysis isn't quite as complete as people think.

It is a smart and correct approach to test whether you are CPU limited by changing the CPU clock (overclock or underclock) and see whether that changes the performance. Same thing you can do with the GPU, with system memory (none of the common wining about lack of "memory bandwidth" on personal computers survives just downclocking RAM to half) and even graphics memory.

However, the test as conducted in that thread isn't valid because of the turbo mode in modern Intel CPUs. The CPU is almost always upclocked in stock form when you run a single threaded game like LOTRO. Only one core in use, turbo goes up, unless heat is an issue (it'll be hard to overheat a well-built desktop when using a single core).

So, to run the test correctly you need to turn off turbo mode first. Then you set to frequency A (say stock) and frequency B (say 30% lower) and take the framerates. You should also turn off hyperthreading even if you are testing a single-threaded game.  For more accuracy you could disable all cores on the machine except one that you use for this benchmark. That makes the results more stable because there can be no useless moving across CPUs losing cache contents.

Obviously, if you have a system with multiple memory banks you need to lock all that up, too.

@Al @Darm here is the rub though guys, as an average customer all this techno babble is irrelevant.  i shouldn't even have to worry about stuff like that just to enjoy an MMO.  the bottom line here is if i can play FFXIV on my shiny, new, built-specifically-for-gaming PC with zero issues i shouldn't be crashing to my desktop while riding on my horse in Pelennor Flds in LOTRO.

the fanbois on the OF can justify all they want (and they will) and in a couple weeks, the current state of the game will become the status quo and be deemed "acceptable gameplay".  people will forget all about the fact that the game was better before the data-centre move (never thought i would say that) and the EU server move will be naught but a vague memory.

the most frustrating thing is that the game had promise.  but now, those of us who want to adventure in a middle earth setting will have to wait until a more competent company takes the reigns off of turbine and does things right (looking at you, Square Enix).  but given we are talking about WB here i don't think they will ever let go of that shit as long as they can make a marginal profit off of it.  which is truly a shame.

11 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Papi, it's time to cut the losses and move on.  LotRO's been in a negative feedback loop for a while, and they've crossed the event horizon (so to speak).

I agree, there was so much promise, but with how things played out (starting with Turbine's idiotic need to compete with WotLK), that promise will never be realized.

I'd argue that it's more likely a positive feedback loop at this point, but that would be semantics...

What I'd pay to still have that dipshit Sap™ at the helm of customer relations during this ultimate failure of a move by Turdbine™.  The fucking guy would be having aneurysms.  Was actually considering deleting this festering pile of pooh from my machine but instead Ill patch and log in and move all of my characters and add a little bit more for their failing game to think about

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Altreg01 said:

What I'd pay to still have that dipshit Sap™ at the helm of customer relations during this ultimate failure of a move by Turdbine™.  The fucking guy would be having aneurysms.  Was actually considering deleting this festering pile of pooh from my machine but instead Ill patch and log in and move all of my characters and add a little bit more for their failing game to think about

Nah, because then everybody who didn't salute and say "All is well" would be banned from the OF. They need to hear the shit people are saying, especially since even many of the Turbine-kissers are complaining now.

20 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

What they need to look at is how load is being spread to CPUs in a multi core scenario - which is what the German forum pages were getting at (assuming that the translation from translate.bing.com was somewhat accurate - translate.google.com was impossible to sort out because Google obliterated the formatting >.> ).

If we really are looking at an issue where the game isn't properly leveraging multiple CPU cores, then the client is basically doomed to be inferior because it can't break up some of the load between the cores.  Trying to do that level of client re-arch is just too high risk to attempt, given how "well" the datacenter transfer went.

Quite frankly, this game is already dead, we just don't know it yet as Turbine doesn't understand how to make things fun again.

LOTRO's client is only single threaded. Never has been different. Never will be.

IMHO it was never smart to buy a gaming machine with many slow cores. The games that are cool/fun/challenging always tended to be lower tech and many are single threaded, including if you go back in time and play older games.

Before my gaming mostly collapsed I still had > 50% play time in single-threaded games. Buy the hardware for the games if quality games are important.

18 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

IMHO it was never smart to buy a gaming machine with many slow cores.

This is interesting. I usually don't have much choice in core speeds, but I guess the lesson is to buy as fast CPUs as possible, and to know that GPU isn't the only thing that will affect gaming (which is kind of obvious, actually).

I wonder how my newer 2.7 Ghz, 2 core machine would do with Lotro (it's mac though so no DX 9 I think). Probably not good in some places in Lotro.

6 hours ago, nosam9 said:

I wonder how my newer 2.7 Ghz, 2 core machine would do with Lotro (it's mac though so no DX 9 I think). Probably not good in some places in Lotro.

1,5 GHz core in proper big core CPU (like i.e. Skylake Celeron) will be faster than 2,5 GHz core in some small core CPU (like Intel Atom or ARM CPUs)

Showing GHz itself without model of the CPU does not show / measure performance anymore like it used to be years ago.

tl;dr

Nowadays biggest factor (in low to medium market segment) in answering "how fast my core is gonna be" is CPU/core type not speed measured in MHz/GHz.

13 hours ago, nosam9 said:

This is interesting. I usually don't have much choice in core speeds, but I guess the lesson is to buy as fast CPUs as possible, and to know that GPU isn't the only thing that will affect gaming (which is kind of obvious, actually).

What do you mean "not much choice"? It's your personal PC, no?

19 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

What do you mean "not much choice"? It's your personal PC, no?

When I buy a PC I often have constraining factors: 1) price, 2) laptop. 

The idea that CPU can be a limiting factor in gaming increases my wish to buy a PC with a faster core, but often the other limiting factors prevent me having options in Core speed. 

In my last purchase, It would have cost at least $500 more to increase the CPU speed only to 2.9 Ghz, given the limiting factors (mainly needing a Mac for work, and a laptop). So this is what I meant by choice. In my case, there was no reasonable choice I could pick with a higher CPU speed.  

Of course I know I could have spent less that I did and gotten a very fast gaming laptop with a much better GPU. But again, I was constrained by other factors, and did not have the option/choice to go with a higher CPU speed.

If you aim for single-threaded games you need to look at the maximum turbo speed of the CPU, not the general clockspeed (and of course different architectures behave differently per clock).

If you compare one 2.2 GHz CPU which only has 1x turbo (for 2.33 GHz max) with another one which is also 2.2 GHz base but has 9x turbo (for 3.3 GHz max) the issue will become clear. Large amounts of possible turbo speedup are common among mobile CPUs.

This assumes you buy a quality laptop with sufficient cooling so that single core use can actually kick into maximum turbo like it should.

Obviously you'll never reach close to the same performance as a desktop for any given money.

So, I haven't logged into LOTRO in a couple of weeks, since my gaming laptop is failing hard (video card is dying quickly). Have the problems with the new data center been resolved? I have a new laptop coming soonish (late this week or early next week, whenever the upgrades get completed), and I want to know if I should bother installing LOTRO on my bitchin' new rig, or stick to my single player games on Steam (Skyrim, Darkest Dungeon, etc), The Secret World, and GW2?

~1 year to get a new datacenter, not correctly tested, with catastrophic results in live.
CTD in loop, huge lags, more and more memory leaks and memory corruptions, etc... all these making the game unplayable.
Spambots in OF every day.

The game seems completely abandoned by Turbine.
LOTRO is dying day after day...

• Upvote 1

Wow

My transfer failed on the 14th of December. 

I have STILL not had any correspondence to tell me that this is going to be sorted out.

What on earth is going on? This is unacceptable.

With this response

@Fezzi, your ticket is in the right queue and will be addressed as soon as possible. We definitely do apologize for the long delay as the Transfers Team is currently working through their backlog.

that's crazy, just how big is the backup??!! I was under the impression that the transfers themselves went fairly smoothly.

1 hour ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

Let's preserve that here in case it gets dealt with:

"It occurred to me today that people in this thread are being unbelievably cordial and are showing way more respect as customers than Turbine has as a vendor. Turbine are simply treating their customers like trash. So here's a big F you Turbine, I will never give you another dollar as long as I live. 

IMG_6526-thumb.jpg

Freelorn has been out sick I think.  

But, yeah, the forums are in the worst shape they have even been. I guess Vyvanne is busy with her job that has nothing to do with Lotro. And no one from Turbine is reading the forums.  

It seems more and more likely they will never fix the server issues.

20 minutes ago, Spiteful said:

Tell the truth War, you were just looking for a reason to post a dickpic :)

Who, me?  Nah...just preserving that post as a historical document.  Seems like a valid opinion of the current state of things, illustrated with an appropriate artistic image. d;)b

Well, technically it *is* a dickpic, but no, that wasn't the primary intent. 

• Upvote 1