LOTROCommunity

If they never fix the new problems in Lotro ...

nosam9

4 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat.

I mean, we all know the end is coming, but this isn't the end I'd like to see for LotRO.  Not by a long shot =(

agreed.  but hey, 3.2 (FFXIV) is right around the corner so I'm looking forward to that.  it's nice to have a polished, stable MMO to play (gives Turbine an evil look) lol

The game ended for me when they added all the grind with the option to pay in the store to make the game more fun. Just after F2P Lotro stopped being fun. Worst idea ever to have an MMO where you can always pay to make it more fun (less grindy in Lotro's case).

Doro:

The game ended for me with the launch of Helm's Deep.

2 hours ago, nosam9 said:

The game ended for me when they added all the grind with the option to pay in the store to make the game more fun. Just after F2P Lotro stopped being fun. Worst idea ever to have an MMO where you can always pay to make it more fun (less grindy in Lotro's case).

Doro:

My willingness to pay for a trash game ended about then; with brief re-subs until RoR hit, never dropped a dime after RoR.  My willingness to play at all ended with wilder more, and my willingness to test on BR ended with HD

11 hours ago, Doro said:

The game ended for me with the launch of Helm's Deep. Weird to see people only just now going through the Five Stages of Grief!

It rather depends when one joined I think.  If you were used to SOA MOM time frame that game REALLY went down hill in subsequent years.  If you joined SOM it could only improve(not like it can get worse unless you HD it), same for enedwaith and HD.  ROI was a mixed bag for some but, was probably the last time any type of quality work was put into it.  That and the stat cap removal hadn't reached it's full potential so earlier content was still viableOnce later xpacs and the bigger and bigger stat #s the game world became ALOT smaller and more segregated at any given level.(and oddly enough as the band narrowed one would think balancing would become easier, apparently not for Turbine.)     And ROR was rather Bleh.  The game has steadily devolved since in terms of content, polish, balance, technical upkeep, and CS.  In fact I don't think the game has even managed to tread water in any area of gaming or support since ROI, I can't think of an area anyway.    If you joined when the bar was particularly low your tolerance might be higher.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Doro said:

The game ended for me with the launch of Helm's Deep. Weird to see people only just now going through the Five Stages of Grief!

Being in the Helm's Deep beta was what got me to join this community.  I can't see myself being able to afford a new computer in the foreseeable future, so for me once my laptop dies, that's probably the end of the road for my gaming hobby.  I would like to see the end of the game, though - very curious to see how they handle destroying the Ring. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Doro said:

It did for me too, I'm just stupid (or optimistic as someone suggested) enough to not have given up completely.

When I heard about the server merge, hw upgrade and the server move to EU, I knew that was the make or break point for me. If they had gotten rid of the lag, moved the EU servers to EU and the merge would have made the servers active again, I probably could've come back.

It's pretty obvious that isn't going to happen.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bendin said:

It rather depends when one joined I think.  If you were used to SOA MOM time frame that game REALLY went down hill in subsequent years.  If you joined SOM it could only improve(not like it can get worse unless you HD it), same for enedwaith and HD.  ROI was a mixed bag for some but, was probably the last time any type of quality work was put into it.  That and the stat cap removal hadn't reached it's full potential so earlier content was still viableOnce later xpacs and the bigger and bigger stat #s the game world became ALOT smaller and more segregated at any given level.(and oddly enough as the band narrowed one would think balancing would become easier, apparently not for Turbine.)     And ROR was rather Bleh.  The game has steadily devolved since in terms of content, polish, balance, technical upkeep, and CS.  In fact I don't think the game has even managed to tread water in any area of gaming or support since ROI, I can't think of an area anyway.    If you joined when the bar was particularly low your tolerance might be higher.

I suppose so. I made a review on Steam about how bad the game got, and I ended up with a few people saying 'well newcomers like it, it's only bad if you know what it was like before!' (which seems like a weak defence, to me). The fact that I know what it used to be like will forever keep me from playing it now.

But I found at least something in each expansion that kept me playing before. SoA was the honeymoon phase and I loved it (enough to get Lifetime, as a 16 year old that saw £140 as a fortune). The Rift was the best raid they ever made.

MoM was exciting for being the first expansion, with loads of instances and two new classes. We were happy with one lair raid because it was well done. We were happy getting the Turtle later because we knew a Multiboss was coming. Since it had stat caps, it meant you could create max builds.

SoM was a worry simply because it was so small, but the skirmishes kept me going. I think stat caps were removed then, since I started making a decent tank build on my champ for BG, so that was a new angle. Then the Eriador cluster was a slight distraction. 

RoI was the last of the proper raiding times. It was the death of my kin, too. They moved on to greener pastures, so I lost that whole aspect of the game. But PvP was good and most good loot was found in pugging and farming scaled content anyway.

RoR, despite being the worst for raiding (that whole rebuild town nonsense was a joke), was probably the best for instances (even though it was scaled farming, there was a lot of choice) and PvP (I could take on 2 or 3 creeps at once). It was when my tank build really shot off and I became an equal to Guards.

It really does annoy me that they managed to fuck up all of that with trait trees and pay to win. Why should I bother relearning all of my classes, grind Legendaries with even higher ceilings (blocked by the store), repeat old content, do mundane quests, and try to get all of the gear I already had but at a 95 version? I might as well just play a different game. But after all of that, I can't play another MMO. LotRO fucked it up for me. I can't play without thinking 'what's the point, they'll just ruin it later anyway?' I've just been playing PvP lobby-style games and single player games instead. Or, at most, casual messing around with ESO and GW2.

21 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Then there's always the resurgent urge to go murderize hordes of things in Diablo 3 >.>

Not that I would know anything about that in the Season, nor play enough to get 400 paragon or anything.....

Indeed, Diablo 3!

Season 5 is rolling and it's raining XP, even when you play solo. I am paragon ~740 now already. You can play Greater Rifts on high ranks (65+, 70+ in normal mode) and the amount of experience you gain by doing so is insane. Unfortunately, the mutual dislike between me and pRNGs has followed me there, so this kinda hinders progress.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

SoM was a worry simply because it was so small, but the skirmishes kept me going.

Since Diablo 3 came up above, here's what the Templar follower has to say about that: "That was just a skirmish. Give me a real battle!"

:P

---

And it has squashed posts, again.

---

Haha, that thread that was linked earlier with the phallus pic?

It has this interesting post with a log indicating that all the crash logs that their POS client generates managed to fill the disk on the server that they make their users send (did they even ask?) all those crash logs to!

Priceless.

SNy

Arggh please don't keep talking about Diablo 3.  I played on Xbox 360 - even got Reaper of Souls then got frustrated with zero updates.  

Currently really holding back from buying a PS4 JUST to get the real Diablo 3 - not the pretend one.  Failing abysmally, especially cos a guy at work keeps encouraging me.  He doesn't even play the damn game lol.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

... 'well newcomers like it, it's only bad if you know what it was like before!' (which seems like a weak defence, to me).

That is a weak defense.  It's like saying, "Look, I've given it a polish and so long as my girl don't know I fetched it from the gutter, Valentine's Day should go off swimmingly."

Most mmos that are ever released don't make it 10 years.  This is caused by many factors.  Over-saturation of the market, the game is just shit, or perhaps a huge shift in focus.  That huge shift in focus is the biggest cause of Turbine's woes.  When the game launched they were marketing to a niche market.  The stereotypical basement dwelling uber nerd that is willing to invest 1000s of hours trying to get some super rare sword.  That player type will subscribe, buy expansions, plunk down 199.99 - 299.99 for a lifetime account.  It's also the same kind of player who would happily spend a ridiculous amount of money to have a balrog statue on their desk.  

When Turbine changed their business model to f2p, because they needed a influx of cash, they no longer were trying to capture that type of player.  Sure they didn't want to lose them either but now they were in the business of dumbing down the game to attract players with gaming ADD.  The flaw with that thinking is that it's not concerned with the long game.  Those kind of players may download the game and play for a few months, drop some money on TP and then never play again.  After they went f2p I'm sure it looked great for the bottom line.  "Hey we're getting 10,000 new players a week and they're spending 20-30 bucks a shot"  However, you can't sustain that without continually pumping out exciting and new stuff to keep their attention.  The players who plan to be around for 5+ years are the ones you really have to keep happy because they have the loudest opinions because they actually care what happens with the game.  They have friends who they've nagged into playing "this amazing mmo based on LotR!"  When you lose their interest they are the first ones to spread their discontent like a wild fire.  Hence reasons why a community such as this exists and the percentage of disparaging comments about Turbine is pretty high.  

Unfortunately for Turbine they didn't have enough money to consistently pump out new and exciting content so the scale of what they were releasing got smaller and smaller.  Now we are at a point where there is such a drought of meaningful stuff to do that the game has now returned to only keeping the original player the game was trying to attract in the beginning.  However, they no longer have the resources to create content that appeals to them.  When players stop creating goals for themselves, they stop playing.  Now that they are no longer attracting the players with ADD they are now creating grinds that are so tedious that players who would normally be the kind to invest the time needed are more inclined to spend money to avoid playing.  That is how you kill a game.  Which sadly I believe is their goal.

tl:dr Turbine is a collection of shortsighted morons.

19 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Small correction for Doro. Stat caps were removed in RoI, not SoM.

Ah, my memory must have been the moment is was released. I've got a vivid memory of me thinking 'this fucking Anvil is wasted now' while I was standing in 21st Hall. But that was also when I had the Turtle shield, so it must have been that brief point between RoI release and champ shields getting removed.

Although I joined pretty late (between RoI and Great River) and ironically because of F2P (though I subbed within the first weeks) Amenhir's post above pretty accurately reflects my own thoughts and impressions.

On the other hand I have a connection to the game (due mostly to personal reasons that would be quite meaningless when spoken out) and I hate to see it diving down quickly.

I do have goals, however unattainable they might seem to me. Social aspect (kins and friends) and those idealistic goals added up to the personal value keep me glued to the game despite all frustrations and I think I'll see it to the end in some manner.

Off topic: Don't know about ADD but I'm pretty solidly diagnosed with OCD 8)7

wow, i mean just...wow: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?599636-why-have-the-updates-to-fix-game-lag-stopped&p=7538109#post7538109

so according to the executive producer, "the issues have mostly cleared up"

??

so is the next phase of turbine development--complete denial of the existing problem.

i know i shouldn't be surprised, but...ffs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Papi said:

wow, i mean just...wow: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?599636-why-have-the-updates-to-fix-game-lag-stopped&p=7538109#post7538109

so according to the executive producer, "the issues have mostly cleared up"

??

so is the next phase of turbine development--complete denial of the existing problem.

i know i shouldn't be surprised, but...ffs.

Yeah, that is complete and utter bullshit. 

ffs indeed.

Well, considering the info from yesterday, I will conclude that the CS is not getting new crash reports (remember that there is no space left on the device on the crash-receiver) and thus, naturally, assumes that all is well.

We already established that none of them actually play their own game, so they couldn't tell otherwise if their life depended on it.

SNy

That is hilarious that Vyvanne thinks everything is pretty much fixed and working correctly:

"We continue to work in the background on improving performance but the general feedback we are seeing through CS and bug reports and our own staff running trough the game is that the issues have mostly cleared up. However we do note that there are still some outliers which we are attempting to hunt down."

I spend the last 2 days reading all the reports from players about CTD, being unable to play the game, lag in game, etc. 

What this really means is they are not working on fixing these issues since "staff" are telling Vyvanne that "the issues have mostly cleared up".

Congrats to the Lotro team for fixing everything - and not letting anyone know it is all fixed.

What a joke. Freelorn and Vyvanne should be ashamed. If he is on vacation he can ask someone to read the forums. But of course, even sick, he could access the internet from home and read about the problems with the game. This is a new low for Turbine and the game.

19 minutes ago, SNy said:

We already established that none of them actually play their own game, so they couldn't tell otherwise if their life depended on it.

They don't even need to play the game! Just read the general forums and see what players are saying. I wonder how many people have quit the game in the last 3 weeks.

You are not being honest.

The game is not much worse that is was before the "wonderful new hardware upgrade".

Which, considering the server merger is not that bad. The game has stopped terrorizing me - being scared (due to crashes) to enter the Forsaken Inn ( in bloody LONE LANDS ffs) to hand in quests was a bit much.  

It is basically as it was before.

For me. 

BTW - Amenhir hit the nail on its head. 

I've played a lot the last few evenings. It's basically back to how it was before the server move: occasional lag spikes. I think they fixed the new problems which the server move introduced but obviously haven't dealt with deeper issues. I don't play PvP though, where I guess lag spikes are much more annoying.

2 hours ago, Jedy2 said:

You are not being honest.

The game is not much worse that is was before the "wonderful new hardware upgrade".

Which, considering the server merger is not that bad. The game has stopped terrorizing me - being scared (due to crashes) to enter the Forsaken Inn ( in bloody LONE LANDS ffs) to hand in quests was a bit much.  

It is basically as it was before.

For me. 

BTW - Amenhir hit the nail on its head. 

your post is an example of what is wrong with the LOTRO "community" and the game itself.