LOTROCommunity

Lotro is banning to fast on arkenstone

apopsmurf

Hello. I want to address what happened to me yesterday. First let me explain something. I have been playing this game for 5-6 years now and sometimes play 8-10 hours a day. My job is to babysit my grandkids who are very young  all day long.  I play mostly loremasters for this reason because there are times when I have to walk away from the computer to change a diaper, get drink, fix food, etc so I let my animal sit and kill for me sometimes instead of logging off.

Twice now while on arkenstone in the last 2 months, I have had a in game person in charge,  put me in jail to ask me what I am doing. I am sitting in one spot letting my animals kill and not saying or doing anything else. I caught the first time it happened because I had just came back from changing a diaper but yesterday i could not respond because I was in the kitchen preparing lunch for me and the kids. I received a 7 day ban on my accounts.

I think that this is biased towards loremasters in general. You created them so that their animals could fight independently and on their own, then I get banned for using them.

Also, there are different levels of game play. Because I may have to stop playing really quick to handle something that happens at home, I cannot do Thorogs that take 90 minutes and other instances that require a lot of time to complete. I feel that whoever is doing the banning on arkenstone is being unfair and being to quick to judge.

You have control of the game and can do as you want without fear of hearing from the ones you did it to. This is extremely unfair.

Not everyone plays the same way. You have a 23 minute in activity automatic log off for people being idle for to long.

So why then are you banning people for being idle for 7 to 20 minutes sometimes. This is very unfair. I think the powers that are in charge should look into this and have better guild lines for your in game bosses.

Right now, I play " apops" on arkenstone but played a toon called " popsmurf" on riddermark for 5 years or so. I have always been proud to tell my friends I play lotro but this new attitude of yours is having me think differently. Please look into this.

Hi apopsmurf,

We are not an official Lotro forum. There is another one. But, actually, I recommend to call Lotro directly. They have small hours you can call someone each day. Or go on the official forums and send a message to Freelorn. You probably wont get any help on the Official forums by posting, and no one here can help.

If you do post on the official forums, I don't recommend to discuss this with players there. It will be a big waste of time. But it's possible a Turbine staff will see it and reply (unlikely). Players will discuss the issue and criticize you if you post on those forums but it won't help the situation.

With Turbine, I think you have a good case. Just tell someone at Turbine (a person, by phone or private message) that you need to sometimes step away from your computer. They have no reason to ban you, but maybe think you are farming loot by being AFK. But since you are not doing that, you should not be banned. You can also repeal your ban, and any future ban you get. But call them, if you can. Second best is PM to a person. I am not familiar enough to know the ticket system, but think you will not get help at all or very quickly using that ticket system. Other here will know.

You can get good advice here, and people here are happy to help. But only Turbine directly can remove your ban.  

Good luck. It seems like they should remove the ban, and maybe they will not ban you again if you talk to a GM and tell them what is happening.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, I was farming drop items and silver to buy goods off the AH. 

I do not do quests...hate them.

I will have to try and figure out how to call them. Any suggestions?

Found it. 1-781-407-4020 open from 2pm to 6pm ...Mon-friday eastern time

http://support.turbine.com/ics/support/contactUs.asp

This has the number.

My recommendation:

keep it simple. explain you need to step away sometimes because of kids.

as far as I know, there is no rule against this, but I wonder of there is a rule against leaving the character logged in and being AFK for a period.

I would not use the word "farming" with them. Farming is fine as in everyone who does an MMO farms for items and gold sometimes. But farming a lot and leaving the character for hours farming is why they banned you - what they can ban for. Explain to them you were not leaving the character for long periods of time to try to exploit the system without playing. You were just stepping away sometimes due to real life.

The ban is there for people who are trying to take advantage and who leave there character for long periods without being at the keyboard. You have to explain you are not one of those people, and were not doing this.

Lastly if the phone person cannot help, ask them if there is a GM they recommend you can contact. Don't take a "I don't know", or "we can't help", Ask them for more help - ask the rep to ask their supervisor who you can ask to help with this. The worst thing is for them to tell you to submit a ticket, and then they never answer ticket. Also, I think you need to reply to any ticket - something about them getting closed immediately and you have to reply again that you still need help when you submit a ticket. 

Hey Pops.  I can show you precisely why you were given a ban. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?591583-Its-time-to-shut-down-the-boat!

Apparently what you were doing pisses off a lot of people who are more concerned with what others are doing than actually playing the game.  Sorry that you've had to deal with this at this time.

lol, this 'feature' is in lotro for 20 months currently, without a fix? :P 

I agree with those on the forums that this kind of behaviour should be fixed, because it probably ruins ingame economy. I don't believe it impacts server performance, because then it would have been fixed a little faster ;) 

7 hours ago, Thrabath said:

lol, this 'feature' is in lotro for 20 months currently, without a fix? :P 

I agree with those on the forums that this kind of behaviour should be fixed, because it probably ruins ingame economy. I don't believe it impacts server performance, because then it would have been fixed a little faster ;) 

I don't think it has as much of an impact as people are claiming.  The only thing it might do is that the handful of people doing it have no problem paying 400+g for an essence.  Some players will always overestimate the value of what they are selling.  Some players actually underestimate or give a lot of stuff away.  The essence exploit was allegedly going to hurt the in game economy and save for an issue on a server like Brandy, I didn't see high dollar essences in the AH on Ridder or Landy for 20g.  Those valuable essences were still 300+.  I have a sneaking suspicion that those that are making the biggest stink are doing it because when the boat is being farmed it means they can't.  To quote some Shakespeare.  "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

I've seen quite a few other people use the same kind of excuse, both in LOTRO and in other games, so sorry if I don't buy it cash. When you have to take care of your kids/grandkids/whatever, you just LOG OFF. The fact that you don't see anything wrong with what you were doing relatively to the game's economy puzzles me.

This said, easy macroing built right into the game is piss poor design... but that's not really surprising coming from Turbine.

Seriously, this game is a dead body, just find something better to do.

Good luck getting unbanned, they stopped answering my tickets even though it's been five fucking years.

The fact that you don't see anything wrong with what you were doing relatively to the game's economy puzzles me.

Ah yes one loremaster afk farming is going to kill the ingame economy, surely not all the people selling Turbine Point items for bazillions of gold.

51 minutes ago, Palpatine said:

When you have to take care of your kids/grandkids/whatever, you just LOG OFF.

The fact that you don't see anything wrong with what you were doing relatively to the game's economy puzzles me.

Yeah, this is a very easy solution - it's got to be easy to log off very quickly.

But, I am not sure that this one person is doing anything to the economy. It also depends where he is. If he is really going AFK while questing or doing other things, then it's not the same as setting the character by the boat or whatever and farming while AFK intentionally.

sorry, but i totally disagree with the OP. an exploit is an exploit.

and to be clear, he/she is not some lone wolf taking advantage of this exploit.  someone posted screenshots on the OF of anywhere between 30-40 toons on ONE boat doing the same thing.

yes, it's bad design on behalf of turbine (what else is new), but it's still an exploit.

1 hour ago, Palpatine said:

Surely, a LM sitting AFK will take in less vendor trash than one actually doing the job themselves? Pets are much slower and have a much shorter aggro range.

27 minutes ago, Papi said:

yes, it's bad design on behalf of turbine (what else is new), but it's still an exploit.

So you are saying walking away from your computer is an exploit? What if you are gone for 2 minutes, or 5 minutes? Does it matter if you have no mobs at all near you, or it only matters if there are mobs you can kill when you are away?  

To me, if the OP is on purpose leaving the character in a place to farm, or purposely leaving the character logged in to farm, then that is a problem. If they just step away whereever they are when a child cries, that is not a problem. It's just bad design or a non-issue that doesn't hurt anyone. This is completely different from placing a character in a location to farm AFK.

43 minutes ago, nosam9 said:

So you are saying walking away from your computer is an exploit? What if you are gone for 2 minutes, or 5 minutes? Does it matter if you have no mobs at all near you, or it only matters if there are mobs you can kill when you are away?  

To me, if the OP is on purpose leaving the character in a place to farm, or purposely leaving the character logged in to farm, then that is a problem. If they just step away whereever they are when a child cries, that is not a problem. It's just bad design or a non-issue that doesn't hurt anyone. This is completely different from placing a character in a location to farm AFK.

what i'm saying is the OP was clearly there for a reason, to exploit a flaw in the design of the game, just like everyone else who has been doing it.  that they happened to go afk is, to me, irrelevant.  if they hadn't been there, they wouldn't have been unlucky and got a ban.

the fault lies squarely with turbine for creating such an easily exploitable area in the first place so i find it laughable that they are banning people in the first place (but again, i'm not surprised)

What if I go out there on my champ and run around in circles killing the mobs as they spawn?  The boat was a great way for me to get scholar mats, gems and IXP.  I don't have 30 accounts though with 12 toons a piece ready to afk farm it.  In this case Pops has a bunch of LMs but last time I saw him on ridder it was usually in moria with a train of lvl 50ish alts.  He wasn't banned for farming them, he was banned for being caught afk.  If he had responded in time he wouldn't have gotten the ban.  Which means that he was banned for doing something Turbine implemented into the game.  

Turbine has always banned people for being AFK and leaving their pets on aggressive to kill. They consider this unattended gameplay. If you don't respond to a GM within about 30 seconds they haul you off to the jail or ban your account. If you're at the keyboard, no problem - if you're not, big problem.

I agree with that if you have to leave and take care of other things, log off. You character will pop right back up there when you come back, so no travel time lost.

12 hours ago, Papi said:

sorry, but i totally disagree with the OP. an exploit is an exploit.

and to be clear, he/she is not some lone wolf taking advantage of this exploit.  someone posted screenshots on the OF of anywhere between 30-40 toons on ONE boat doing the same thing.

Bit of a ridiculous viewpoint, this is the kind of thing that should be taken on a case by case basis (even if there probably wernt far more ruinous things happening). It is poor design on their behalf though and theyve had the better part of a decade to sort it out.

Oh i bet they still have the bug where a character would - after travelling for some indeterminate amount of time - become unsynchronised in their movements between themselves and the mount they are riding, bobbing up on the saddle at the wrong moment. Would really get on my nerves. That's been around since about 2007-8.

On a side note: LOTRO really isnt worth your (OP's) time.

Well, I can see both sides of this issue, as it can be annoying to come across someone blatantly AFK Farming an area, especially if there are mobs therein that I need for a quest. But at the same time, should everyone be required to log off if they step away from their keyboard to take care of the kids, grab a snack, use the facilities, or answer the phone? No, of course not. Many times when I was still raiding in WoW we'd take breaks and go AFK for 10 minutes or so after a boss kill, so some of the team could grab a smoke or whatever, and that was just fine. But a Hunter going AFK in an area populated with mobs, leaving their pet on aggressive was considered "Unintended gameplay", and could earn you a ban. Basically, LOTRO is doing the same thing as WoW did in such cases.

I know it isn't right, and isn't fair to people legitimately going AFK for a few minutes, but they aren't the only people playing the game, either. Going AFK and farming with your pet is against the rules, and should earn that player some penalty. I would think just knocking them offline would be the most appropriate response, but that's just me.

I just don't get what the problem is here. Unless people are multiboxing an army of AFKers, I see nothing wrong. After all, pets are slow to kill things and have a small aggro range. Even if people are concerned about poaching mobs others need, I assume open-tapping is still in play so they won't miss out anyway (in fact, if you're a healer, stick a HoT on the LM and you can leech from them). If it's about the concern of people being AFK and benefiting from it, well most of us probably went AFK when we were mass crafting anyway, so should we get banned for it? If it's a problem of breaking the in-game economy, an active player will kill much quicker than an AFKer and so make much more in the same period.

The whole thing seems moot. Perhaps jealousy on the part of non-LM/Capts that can't do the same... *cough* landscape soldiers *cough*