LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
LasraelLarson

Black Desert coming West in 2016. my interest has been piqued...

with the state of the industry the past few years, i am extremely cautious.  no more bandwagon jumping for me...  EVER.  watching a couple Twitch streams & some vlogs, including the 2 below:

i certainly won't be buying it out the gate, but it has caught my attention.

game is slated to be buy to play in the west & IMO, that is a plus.

without a doubt the best looking world design i have seen to date in an MMO.

and whilst it obviously has plenty of Asian influences being it is produced in Korea, the customization seems VERY robust, that at least the visual elements can be toned down, or eliminated all together.

definitely keeping my eye on this one.

I might pick this up for something new to try. Am a bit put off by what I hear about the levelling being essentially mob grinding and the lack of PvE endgame.

On 2016-02-12 at 2:55 AM, LasraelLarson said:

i certainly won't be buying it out the gate, but it has caught my attention.

Wait? Is it going to be B2P/Sub?

Can't say I've done any research about it, but I always just kinda assumed that it would be f2p...

Yes B2P. I think it is $30.

Seems ok so far - I don't think they have done anything too bad. Lots of items in the shop for real money, but nothing too P2W.

Reactions to this game seem very mixed - from boring and grindy to interesting. Reminds me of Archeage with a lot of different systems than a standard WoW-ish MMO of the west.

On 2/20/2016 at 11:46 AM, vr00mie said:

Wait? Is it going to be B2P/Sub?

Can't say I've done any research about it, but I always just kinda assumed that it would be f2p...

it will be buy to play... initially.  whether that lasts beyond a years time or not, who can say.

On 2/21/2016 at 8:13 AM, nosam9 said:

Yes B2P. I think it is $30.

Seems ok so far - I don't think they have done anything too bad. Lots of items in the shop for real money, but nothing too P2W.

Reactions to this game seem very mixed - from boring and grindy to interesting. Reminds me of Archeage with a lot of different systems than a standard WoW-ish MMO of the west.

reminiscent of Archeage?!  i can't say i've ever seen anything from Archeage that has ever piqued my interest.  ;)  the only early similarity i can see is they are both Korean productions, at least this early anyway.  regardless, it remains to be seen just how this title will play out in its western launch.

i am quite content to watch this one for at least few months before i ever consider a download.

was just impressed with the visuals & some of the implementations of housing & other systems like the trades mechanics.  on a much larger scale, it made me think of setting up production, like you would in a civ builder.  additionally, the game seems to run very well, in spite of the very nice graphics.  & all the streams i have seen on Twitch...  combat, movement through the world, etc.  it all seems very well optimized an ran rather smoothly from what i could observe.

that said, it still could turn out to be a clusterfuck of an Asian grinder, with annoying paywalls out the wazoo.  "IF" that turns out to be the case...  i can very easily avoid it altogether.  yup.

I've tested an Russian Black Desert a while back ago.   

What I've noticed myself or heard from high-lvl players.

1. graphics are not as good as they seem at first because:

- there is a LOT of popping out all the time even on max settings

- lack of consistency in some things like there is collision detection on mobs and players, but no collision detection on NPCs and some other things (affects immersion as well)

- some textures can be of suprisingly low quality

- combat animations are intentionally very very choppy. This is intended to be a "style", but in practice what that means is that there are no smooth animations made for a lot of moves

2. Faceroll difficulty, non-existant AI

3. This is Korean grinder.  Game is about grinding dumb mobs to get money&resources in order to get stats to PVP.   If you're expecting nice PVE game and PVE content apart of grinding mobs there is none basically.

4. Cash shop stuff is NOT innocent.  Game is about grinding mobs,  killing mobs in end-game is usually quicker than looting them.  In cash shop there are pets that will loot for you atuomatically.  If you buy enough pets (you can have multiple activated at one time)  it will speed up your grinding A LOT, meaning even 300-400% faster with many pets bought.    There is possibly other stuff that seem innocent but in reality gives advantage, Black Pearl seem just preety good at masquerading it.    That is F2P game just with box cost.  Don't get fooled into "B2P".

I do predict many people being disillusioned in Black Desert relatively quickly, in kinda similar manner what happened after ArcheAge release.

yes Drul, the camera shake associated with skill usage...  i dunno i guess it is intended to make a player feel UBER impactful... is jarring.  that shake however can be dialed down, to the point of being off completely.  i have watched streamers who have it disabled & i find it looks much better.

additionally some skill effects can be quite noisy.  some classes are worse than others.  this also has a dial feature setting and can be toned down.  here everyone has that point where something is enough, or too much.  since i am into fantasy, i can live with the spell & other combat effects dialed down.

as for the popping...  yes that does happen, in varying degrees depending on your vid cards rendering capacity.  whilst it isn't ideal...   i have yet to notice someone walking forward looking into the distance and seeing a mountain range, that will keep changing shapes as one approaches, or trees types  that turn into other trees tree types as you approach.  or the worst, mountain ranges that turn into tree lines, or vice-versa.  if that does happen, i haven't noticed it, or seen vid loggers highlighting the issue... yet.

the combat...  it does very much look to be in the low risk category at the moment, may even be Shadows of Mordor level safe.  dunno how they will tune that as time goes on & i don't know, or have yet to see how that impacts actual PvP (or guild battles) as that is very much a part of the game.  content to sit on the sidelines and spectate to see how this shapes up.

Korean grinder is also a big concern.  whilst Asian games are notorious for it.  not all systems are equally bad, or good.  the trade system does look to be (from the surface) a rather robust feature, that will require some set up, monitoring, etc.  but if implemented well, all that could be enjoyable.  one of my earlier online gaming experiences were civ builders, so i actually enjoy that sort of thing, if done well.  it could also be a paywall nightmare, or tedious in all the wrong ways, again spectating from the sidelines to see more... which ties into the cash shop & whether it remains predominantly cosmetic fluff, or a gating mechanism to content & the very slippery slope into shitville that system can become with little effort.

anyway, watching developments.