LOTROCommunity

And this is why MadeOfLions is an amateur ...

Dalthalion

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?600791-Bring-back-the-Lorien-Archers&s=09a26bff0f82be05c50187465afa0fb2&p=7543819#post7543819

I always liked it too, but there were definitely a lot of calls over the years to remove the insta-death archers on the perimeter of Lothlorien. Even when they first went into the game, we had to have multiple ways to satisfy the rep requirement; it just didn't make sense that you could do certain quests for the Elves and they still wouldn't trust you. I was sad to see them go, but having gone, I don't think we're going to bring them back.

I still make sure to gain the rep on my characters before entering the Golden Wood -- unless they're Lorien Elves to begin with! But that's a personal choice and I get that not everyone is going to have the patience to do the repeatable quests for it.

MoL

They weren't "insta-death"; it was a DoT effect.  I know it from experience.

Guy doesn't know his own game.

On 2/24/2016 at 11:11 PM, Dalthalion said:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?600791-Bring-back-the-Lorien-Archers&s=09a26bff0f82be05c50187465afa0fb2&p=7543819#post7543819

They weren't "insta-death"; it was a DoT effect.  I know it from experience.

Guy doesn't know his own game.

Was it survivable, so that you could turn around after being hit and return to safety, like the stones in Angmar? I don't ever recall surviving an arrow from one of the Lorien archers, although I admit it may have taken me 2 or 3 seconds to die. I just don't remember.

Seems a bit harsh, it may not have been him that implemented it and even if it was then it was over 5 years ago so can't blame him if he has forgotten exactly which mechanic he used. For most players it was pretty much insta-death as as soon as they realised they were taking damage it was too late. I assume a Captain could survive if they used last stand?

11 minutes ago, The MMO Troll said:

Isn't MadeOfLions a Lore guy? Or am I remembering that wrong. It's been a while since I read the Official forums, considering I'm not welcome there.

Yeah he's the guy that comes up with the epic story quests and the Bingo Boffin quest line.  I'm not sure how much nuts and bolts he is involved with.  However, he is the only dev who makes an attempt to respond in the forums.  

1 hour ago, The MMO Troll said:

Isn't MadeOfLions a Lore guy? Or am I remembering that wrong. It's been a while since I read the Official forums, considering I'm not welcome there.

Yeah, he is. But Dal gets his panties in a bunch if you call MoL a lore expert for some reason and therefore needs to demean him if he sees an opportunity.

9 hours ago, Fredelas said:

Was it survivable, so that you could turn around after being hit and return to safety, like the stones in Angmar? I don't ever recall surviving an arrow from one of the Lorien archers, although I admit it may have taken me 2 or 3 seconds to die. I just don't remember.

It was survivable if you moved out of the immediate area quickly enough.  The effect took for the form of an "aura" of an "arrow pincushion", and had the sound effect of a rapidly-repeated 1960's arrow's "tttthhhhhhwip".

3 hours ago, Amenhir said:

He's been there a while, like 7 yrs of something so just before SoM and after.  

AFAIK he's been there from the start and the entire Epic Story is his domain. (There was an interview with him on some third party site. Can't look it up right now though, as I'm exhausted.)

I have serious qualms about his quest design in the first 2 volumes (back and forth zigzagging all over the place) but when it comes to storytelling I'm his fanboi most of the time :P

MoL is also the one who failed to justify why the expeditionary Dwarves who died at the Moria West-gate were buried under the ground, rather than within Durin's Threshold, where was plenty of stone to entomb them in.

His story-telling has had some plot-holes.