LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

Rage and Denial on the Official Forum

the official forum continues to be an entertaining read (i'm sure a few therapists would find it an interesting case study)

the continuing anger about the poor performance (still) and this little piece of denial that caught my eye:  https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?602335-No-news-is-good-news&p=7553718#post7553718

poor snowlock...he can't seem to just let go.  he has my genuine sympathy.

"There's always a chance [Turbine will build a new engine for LotRO]"... holy shit, the word naïve just doesn't cover it anymore.

LotRO isn't going to improve. Don't waste your time holding out hope otherwise.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Doro said:

"There's always a chance [Turbine will build a new engine for LotRO]"... holy shit, the word naïve just doesn't cover it anymore.

LotRO isn't going to improve. Don't waste your time holding out hope otherwise.

agreed.  and this gem..."A new movie could be announced that they would like dovetail into LOTRO"  that's right, because LOTRO did such a great job of marketing and promotion during the Hobbit movies.  remember that cool cinematic trailer they produced that played before the final Hobbit movie? oh wait, that was Blizzard promoting WoW.  LOTRO couldn't even be bothered to produce an in-house in-game trailer.  and the less said about the Erebor instance cluster the better (although, i didn't mind the 6-man Dale instance)

1 hour ago, Papi said:

agreed.  and this gem..."A new movie could be announced that they would like dovetail into LOTRO"  that's right, because LOTRO did such a great job of marketing and promotion during the Hobbit movies.  remember that cool cinematic trailer they produced that played before the final Hobbit movie? oh wait, that was Blizzard promoting WoW.  LOTRO couldn't even be bothered to produce an in-house in-game trailer.  and the less said about the Erebor instance cluster the better (although, i didn't mind the 6-man Dale instance)

Trailers would have been expensive and there was never the money to do it.  However they could have put a flyer in the DVD and Blueray cases, with some free points for new players.  This would have been very cheep and given that the last Hobbit film was the 3rd best selling DVD in the UK in 2015, would have reached many potential new players.

8 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

Trailers would have been expensive and there was never the money to do it.  However they could have put a flyer in the DVD and Blueray cases, with some free points for new players.  This would have been very cheep and given that the last Hobbit film was the 3rd best selling DVD in the UK in 2015, would have reached many potential new players.

i would pay good money to take a peek at Turbine's financial data and their relationship with WB.  i think there probably was enough money to do it (even an in-game trailer) but it all boils down to management.  but you brought up a good point, even a flyer would have been at least some type of promotion for the game.  i see how Star Trek Online taps the actors/actresses from the various TV shows and movies to do cut scenes to boost the story and interest in the game and wonder, why couldn't Turbine in coordination with WB have done the same thing?  sure, some of the well known actors would probably cost a pretty penny, but what about the lesser known actors?

in comparison, it will be interesting to see how Blizzard handles the upcoming movie and how they tie that into the game and vice versa.  i think anyway you look at it, Turbine royally fucked up what could have been a golden opportunity for the game.

• Upvote 1

I remember Turbine actually wanted to do a The Hobbit thing in lotro and didn't get whatever they needed (rights, money etc). At the time we speculated it was because they did a shitty job on LOTRO.

Damn Snowlock must be in serious Lotro addiction to have this kind of denial.

It is especially sad to see people who know quality content&game from 2007-2009/10 are so addicted now that they basically beg for scraps on forums. 

Imho  once quality content supply is finished and MMORPG title start it's journey on slippery slope, (for Lotro it was more or less after 2-3 years post release, so preety good result) it is time to leave. Real Life is too short leisure time on medicore or worse declining entertinment.

I was reading the raiding quotes following that Snowlock post, thats some epic crap there.  I used to miss my warden so bad I sign in now and then just to see him.  Probably havent done that in 8 months.

I takes an epic fuck up for me to not want to do something I used to LOVE anymore and Turbine has done it

3 hours ago, Altreg01 said:

I was reading the raiding quotes following that Snowlock post, thats some epic crap there.  I used to miss my warden so bad I sign in now and then just to see him.  Probably havent done that in 8 months.

I takes an epic fuck up for me to not want to do something I used to LOVE anymore and Turbine has done it

Oddly enough, thanks to this Hearthstone/WoW promotion ( http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20056282/a-new-hearthstone-hero-has-come-to-light-3-14-2016 ), that's how I'm feeling about seeing WoW's Undead starter area for the first time since Vanilla.

I remember the warlock, while being one of the stronger classes, much harder to solo things back in the day, as everything is now just brain dead simple.  Oddly enough, the quests seem to be tightened and improved, which is good.

But yeah, so much of the game is so different now, that WoW as it is now isn't the WoW that I used to play.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or an epic screw up.

I don't even want to see what they did to the druid, which was my main class back in the day.

On 3/17/2016 at 5:07 PM, Almagnus1 said:

I don't even want to see what they did to the druid, which was my main class back in the day.

No, you really don't. I used to play a Resto Druid back in the BC/WotLK era of WoW, back when we were considered solid Raid Healers. Now they've changed things so much by forcing you into a specific spec with virtually no way to make a hybrid build, I couldn't imagine trying to play a Resto now. How could you do Dailies or level up as that spec, when it would take forever to kill anything?

Instead, I made a Worgen Deathknight, as well as a Tauren Shaman to enjoy this go around. I have a Druid as well, but it got the Instant-90 bump up, and I went with Balance so I could actually be effective while leveling to 100.

4 hours ago, The MMO Troll said:

No, you really don't. I used to play a Resto Druid back in the BC/WotLK era of WoW, back when we were considered solid Raid Healers. Now they've changed things so much by forcing you into a specific spec with virtually no way to make a hybrid build, I couldn't imagine trying to play a Resto now. How could you do Dailies or level up as that spec, when it would take forever to kill anything?

Instead, I made a Worgen Deathknight, as well as a Tauren Shaman to enjoy this go around. I have a Druid as well, but it got the Instant-90 bump up, and I went with Balance so I could actually be effective while leveling to 100.

Dual specialization costs 10 gold. (available at level 30 I think) I play on a WOTLK private server and even I shelled out the 1k gold to avoid doing dailies on a resto druid (available at level 40).  

The biggest change has been that they lock you into a spec from the beginning.  And then instead o filling out a tree you pick  1 talent or skill every few levels.    The locking you into a spec has been around since Cataclysm.  In the early levels it's an issue if you want to run dungeons as a resto but still be able to quest quickly.  But at level 100 when I finally start daily quests I just switch to Feral.  And the gold to add Dual spec isn't really an issue.  

I think the real reason why Blizzard made the specs so cookie cutter was because (and this is just a personal theory) they wanted to make expanding on the specs easier and also pug raid leaders were using gearscore and examining specs as a judgement tool to weed out people they did not want "to jeopardize their raid".   Even if a single point was in the wrong (not approved by elitestjerks forum) spot they would not invite them unless desperate.  While the truth was the hardcore raiding guild I was part of didn't even know what gearscore was.  They made it their job to get you prepared gear and spec wise to do the raids.  With a cookie cutter spec that trades 1 stun or interrupt for 2 similar ones it takes the spec variations out of the equation.  Also they have to balance pvp and pve and this makes it easier to do both.

Playing a retail druid really wasn't that much different from my private wotlk server druid.  It's still only 4 to 5 buttons you have to worry about pressing.  It was the itemization I felt was a little more difficult to understand.  Once I figured it out I had no problems.

Even on the private server I still quest with another person or a group at the early levels so it isn't much of a problem.  And when I hit the dual spec level minimum I always pick it up so it will be easier to find dungeon groups.  

As far as Snowlocks optimism, I just don't think he grasps the position Turbine is in now.  All of these MMO's they manage have been put on the back burner since IC was proposed.  The games will continue to get new content to keep existing players, but as far as trying to draw in new ones those days are over.  The bad will Turbine spread among the player base was enough to encourage players to leave and new players to not consider it as an MMO option.  Growing games or games that can garner support with a revamp can redesign things like the engine.  I think you really have to be mega die hard to keep playing Lotro.  And kudos to those folks.  But we are way pas the point to start hoping for engine revamps.  

With focus being moved to mobile games DDO, AC and Lotro are all back in the same boat.  

But at least they might get a 12 man raid finally.  We'll see how well that performs!

19 hours ago, Thequinn said:

Dual specialization costs 10 gold

<snip>

But at least they might get a 12 man raid finally.  We'll see how well that performs!

My Shaman hit 30 the other day, and I didn't see the ability to dual-spec come up. I'll look into it when I get home from work, because I'd love to have Resto as an option for my Shammy, maybe do some pick-up raiding here or there when I hit endgame.

As for LOTRO and the 12-man raid you mentioned, I expect when the game shuts down, people will still be complaining it has bugs that have been in it since it was released, much like Draigoch.

4 hours ago, The MMO Troll said:

My Shaman hit 30 the other day, and I didn't see the ability to dual-spec come up. I'll look into it when I get home from work, because I'd love to have Resto as an option for my Shammy, maybe do some pick-up raiding here or there when I hit endgame.

As for LOTRO and the 12-man raid you mentioned, I expect when the game shuts down, people will still be complaining it has bugs that have been in it since it was released, much like Draigoch.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Dual_Talent_Specialization

Level 30.  Confirmed level 30.   Should come up at the class trainer. 

When I came back to Lotro at the MT release the performance was horrible just walking around Minas Tirith.  I can only imagine what it would be like inside a raid.  The defenders will say it's my hardware but I'm running a 970 titan with 32 GB of ram running on windows 7 64 bit on my SSD.   Meanwhile games that make Lotro look like a relic run like butter!

15 hours ago, Thequinn said:

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Dual_Talent_Specialization

Level 30.  Confirmed level 30.   Should come up at the class trainer. 

When I came back to Lotro at the MT release the performance was horrible just walking around Minas Tirith.  I can only imagine what it would be like inside a raid.  The defenders will say it's my hardware but I'm running a 970 titan with 32 GB of ram running on windows 7 64 bit on my SSD.   Meanwhile games that make Lotro look like a relic run like butter!

Oh, for sure! When I tested out LOTRO on my new laptop (i7 processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 960M w/ 2GB of GRAM, running all games off of a 500GB SSD), I was able to run it with all graphics options at maximum and get 30-60 FPS, but the game was still a wee bit choppy. Not exactly laggy, but something similar. Meanwhile, I'm able to run WoW with everything cranked to max and get between 50-130 FPS, and no choppiness or lag. Definitely something wrong with LOTRO.