LOTROCommunity
Altreg01

Missing MMOs greatly

I cant even begin to describe how much I miss a good MMO with an actual plausible story.  I think back to LOTRO and its like remembering my first love. Such fond memories and good times.  

And a game similar to LOTRO, just like a first love will never come again.  I how I wish to find a good MMO with a compelling story.  ESO and GW2 got old fast, I truly dont even know if there are any decent MMOs with a good story to match their gameplay.

Just makes me want to smack a little sense into Kait Paiz before she sold it out for some corporate coin.

Its becoming pretty obvious that if your name isnt WoW you are going to have a rough go at life as an MMO.

If anybody knows of a game, even some home brew niche title Id love to hear of it

Agreed on all counts.

Only option is to re-enter Moria, or something.

Home brew niche titles won't be story based.  (unless you're into text only thing without any mentionable presentation)

For story based epic rpg adventures in detailed worlds, your best bet is single player RPGs now.  Currently top proposition is propably The Witcher 3.   

Story based content rich full fledged MMORPGs need huge budget.  Few times X 2007 Lotro budget because you won't be able to sell 2007 Lotro today in enough numbers.

Imho only way for AAA story&hand-made content rich PVE MMORPGs to come back ever is when general mainstream playerbase will accept that AAA PVE story-based MMORPG has to be premium gaming product.  Siniicantly more expensive than playing single player games bought on discount from Steam and more expensive than playing Dota 2, LoL, Battlefield 4, Path of Exile, GW2 or 15$/month WoW standard MMORPG.

Paying few bucks in store every now and then or paying once for box or even 15$/month is way not enough.    That is too much expectation from an MMORPG product for a price MMORPG playerbase is ready to pay.  

People need to be ready to pay like 100$+ for base game and expansions and 30$ / month for AAA 2016 version of what conceptually 2007 Lotro was and not 100 000 hardcore fans, but few millions of them, at least initially and without huge population drops like in practically all new MMORPGs in last 5-8 years or so.

Alternative way is if some giant like Amazon or Facebook do it and bankroll it with few hundread millions of $, but then I really doubt it will be what you're looking for as it will be faceroll game streamlined to hell and back with seriously diablic monetization. Will be mobile as well.

No matter how premium a game is, demanding a high amount of money in a subscription model will not work as long as there are several of them. People won't commit to one.

That is why I brought up the idea of a meta-subscription, an (expensive) subscription that is valid for several different games and the metasubscription service and their games providing contracts figure out how to distribute that money when a month is done (presumably a strong influence on how many people played where but it's really up to them to make a contract they like).

That kind of meta subscription will imho not materialize in foresable future if ever.   I am preety sure that corporations would prefer to use diffrent business model or give up on game/genre rather that use business agreement like that.

As for gamers and their perception.  I would not be so sure.   We'll see what will happen in this regard once no new AAA full virtual world fledged MMOPRG will release for 5+ years.

Because for now it seems, that max from  AAA PVE "mmo-ey" online gaming will be productions like The Division or Destiny instead of MMORPGs.

I will freely admit in this circle of friends that I have restarted playing LOTRO, and spreadsheeting a purchase of Turbine points.

I played for a couple of days, and to my relief they didn't make anything radically worse after Kate Paiz left.  Yes, that is a very low bar. But boy did it surprise and delight me.  I even had an acceptable amount of time that I needed to spend on "bookkeeping", what I mean by that is real-time expiration enforced retraiting, redoing your LIs although you didn't use them up in play etc. That was really bothering me in Paiz of the Rings.

I am afraid to say that I haven't been able to get into any others.  Rift and GW are huge disappointments in how the owning companies behave. Not as bad as late turbine and early WB, but meh.  TSW is just too odd for me, especially combat and clothing.  I loved Star Trek online, but it lacks depth.  Conan was OK but I was the only one there LOL.  Maybe I should give SW:Tor another shot?

In any case, LOTRO also has the technical advantage that it works fine on Linux (store currently broken) and a bit less fine on Mac.  This is important to me. My play time often see me pinned down somewhere with some downtime and the bloody game just has to run on whatever I happen to have there.

There, the confession is out.

You should have started that with... "Hello, my name is Darmokk and I'm a...."

I don't know why you had to put it as a "confession", it's simple you play a game because it has something you enjoy, and the good out weighs the bad and it's all subjective to the person.

I'm glad to hear it's running fairly smoothly though, I'll be updating soon, not sure how many patches I'm behind, lol, so that my wife and I can spend some time with some old online friends. 

I wouldn't say smoothly.  Some days since the server move it's laggy, much more so than before. Most of the time it runs OK for me.

I dread the high level content so much that I re-started one character at the beginning of Moria and one level 25, and I have a new one to do all Shire content.

I'll never reach level cap.

We might just roll a couple new toons since we'll only be on to chat really.

The last few times I've tried to actually play I got in like 5-10 min and just logged off in disappointment. TSW has me kind of spoiled with being able to do anything and it advances my character, Having to run back and forth between npc'd to tell them what the guy 5 ft away said just drives me crazy, lol. Even the new instances didn't get me back.

I'll have to try and find the enthusiasm to do a play through when they get to Mordor. 

I see both of you guys are on Landy. Would like to spend some time in game (see sig. for toon info).

WTF. Have some time to play (otherwise known as insommnia) and LOTRO, SW:TOR and STO all bring their servers down today.

Nothing to be ashamed for Darmokk.  Besides I am sure most users here were suspecting you're still actively playing.   Anyway - it is your time, money and decision and you can do anything you like after all.  So again - playing Lotro is nothing to be ashamed for :)

Only thing I am sometimes disputing is when some people playing old decling MMORPGs have actual hopes or expectations that by some magic game will suddenly get more funds and will get better.  Some people somehow desperatily cling to such hope for some reason. 

As for you not being able to 'get into' any other MMORPG.   I understand you - I haven't been able either.  In last ~5 years, I've played MMORPG for around 2 months and I don't think I will play any MMORPG in foresable future.

Well, I didn't spend any actual money yet since Turdbine makes it impossible for me to plan.

I want these things:

- expansions I might not have yet. I suppose I can look them up somewhere but it isn't obvious

- more shared storage. Does the shop tell me what the maximum amount of slots is? No.

- more wardrobe slots. Does the shop tell me what the maximum amount of slots is? No.

- more inventory to drag around. Does the shop tell me what the maximum amount of slots is? No.

If they think that I'm just gonna buy fewer points for more money and then refill after trying all the above out, then sit there with leftover overpriced points they are mistaken.

Yes, I looked up all these limits on the wiki, but still.

I've thoroughly enjoyed FFXIV, but it's definitely a game that requires you to group up at certain points or you will not progress with the storyline.  Story starts off kinda slow, but gets better after you get up into the 30's -40's, and starts getting really good at 50.  Keep in mind it is subscription only, and it's got a crafting system that's one of the most indepth I've seen since SW:G.

Free Trial: http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/na/

If you like the game enough to continue playing, I can recruit you (see http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/ ) as that's got some good stuff for both of us.