Jump to content
LOTROCommunity

Lord of the Rings Online devs prepare players for Mordor but won’t discuss license renewal


Falebrindor
 Share

Recommended Posts

Even if they do lose the license(which I'm leaning towards "yes" on), I doubt they'd have to shut the servers down at a given time. Someone here once said that losing the license would only prohibit them from making any new content, and I agree that that would likely be the case.  The servers will stay up as long as they see actual profits.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People have been confidently predicting that LOTRO will shut down within a year for about the last six years. The thing is, if that prediction is continually repeated it'll eventually be right (and all the previous wrong predictions will be forgotten). But having it made again this year doesn't tell us whether it's right now. I'll just keep playing LOTRO until it shuts down, then watch the films, and finally read the book as an antidote to the films. :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2016 at 6:40 PM, Longbottom Leaf said:

"Even if they do lose the license(which I'm leaning towards "yes" on), I doubt they'd have to shut the servers down at a given time. Someone here once said that losing the license would only prohibit them from making any new content, and I agree that that would likely be the case.  The servers will stay up as long as they see actual profits."

I'm sorry. If they lose license, the servers go dark. See Star Wars Galaxies, which you can only play with a third party launcher.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2016 at 0:54 PM, majorlagg said:

Well, this may be nothing but months ago, my kin switched to Razer. I installed the program and was testing it out. I switched to a channel occupied by a kin officer (won't mention his name) and another kin member. The program didn't announce when someone entered a channel. The kin member said, "So, I heard Turbine has already lost it's LOTRO title."

The officer replied and said yes. The last content to be introduced will be the Black Gate and then in April of 2017, the servers go off. I asked if he read this somewhere and I got "crickets" from them. The kin member quickly said something about hearing it somewhere. They seemed to quiet up real fast for two players who were just discussing just another shutdown rumor. I didn't push it and just took my leave.

What are your reasons for thinking that two members of your kin actually know when LOTRO is due to shut down?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, one actually. That one seemed extremely knowledgeable about the runs in the game. I know a lot of  people are. When I spoke up and it was apparent that someone else was in the channel, there was dead silence. If it was just two players passing rumors, the conversation would have continued. It became clear that no one else was supposed to hear this. Maybe I'm wrong. But if it does end, it'll be like Aylwen said, you won't be forewarned. Otherwise you won't purchase stuff from the Turbine store or renew subs.

9 hours ago, Brrokk said:

What are your reasons for thinking that two members of your kin actually know when LOTRO is due to shut down?

Let me also point out that phone support ended for LOTRO and DDO with no improvement in online support like they said. I  am now waiting a week and a half for a response to a ticket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Spiteful said:

So I see the new Raid has been beaten on Challenge while still on BR, lol. Honestly not surprising I suppose.

Is this the whole raid beaten on Challenge or just the first boss which from reading the thread can be easily exploited? My understanding is that the new raid is multi-boss.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Spiteful said:

Apparently they found the money and tech to do housing hooks?

I checked out the new housing interiors on BR and I'm pleasantly surprised.  I hope they can add more hooks to yards too in a future pass.

I do worry about what happens to the stuff already placed in our houses when this goes live - I may clear out my houses before the update goes live just to make sure nothing I'd regret losing goes missing in the transition.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, warspeech said:

I checked out the new housing interiors on BR and I'm pleasantly surprised.  I hope they can add more hooks to yards too in a future pass.

I do worry about what happens to the stuff already placed in our houses when this goes live - I may clear out my houses before the update goes live just to make sure nothing I'd regret losing goes missing in the transition.  

Oh, this sounds good. I've got some nice furniture items in storage which I can't make room for at the moment.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brrokk said:

Oh, this sounds good. I've got some nice furniture items in storage which I can't make room for at the moment.

You can have a table with chairs at both ends now, just like a proper home!  And there are lots more small rug slots - small rugs are going to be in demand if you aren't able to make them yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bhoris said:

Is this the whole raid beaten on Challenge or just the first boss which from reading the thread can be easily exploited? My understanding is that the new raid is multi-boss.

Well I know the entire thing has been cleared, no mechanics on last fight yet. I do think the entire thing was done on challenge also though.

I heard in the background narration that this was after the Witch King was defeated? Did I miss them showing this in game?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Any improvement of the game state since the start of Gondor, or is it just more of the same with a sub-par raid?

Is it anything remotely close to this new 24 man raid for FFXIV?

 

to be honest, comparing FFXIV to LOTRO is a bit unfair these days.  LOTRO doesn't have the staff, resources or vision to come close to accomplishing the bare minimum that FFXIV does on one of their .xx patches.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/06/2016 at 5:12 PM, Spiteful said:


I heard in the background narration that this was after the Witch King was defeated? Did I miss them showing this in game?  

Yes, the battle of Pelennor Fields is covered by the most recent Epic book released with Update 18. It is worth playing through IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...