LOTROCommunity

Raid-update postponed

Jedy2

6 hours ago, Jedy2 said:

it's probably the best decision Turbine has made in some time.  according to BR it was buggy, laggy and had quite a few exploits.  this is their first raid in 3 years, it would have been a PR disaster had they released it in it's current state.

9 minutes ago, Papi said:

it's probably the best decision Turbine has made in some time.  according to BR it was buggy, laggy and had quite a few exploits.  this is their first raid in 3 years, it would have been a PR disaster had they released it in it's current state.

I agree.

Also, EURO-football is on TV now. ;)

I'll chime in with my 2c.  It's  promising decision imho.  Turbine was always fair to great(depending on ones personal perception/taste) in coming up with concepts, ideas and pasion.  What they always struggled with was implementation, even back in the Microsoft days.  One of the driving forces to Turbines struggles was the concepts and ideas they tried to implement had no correlation to the resources available(major reason why MS dropped em like a bad habit).  This in turn lead to portion(often key to the concept itself) being left on the cutting room floor.  In effect gutting what was a great idea into something that never recouped expenses in it's creation.Then the credit crash hit while simultaneously Turbine got a bad name within the investor community as being a bad bet.   Over time this trend lead to fewer and fewer resources being available for implementation, but no wisdom was learned with regards to living within ones means.   There was always an 11th hour miracle, angel investor, or WB to ride in to the rescue.   Thus masking any need for "lessons learned" come to jesus sessions in regards to bad decisions.  WB has since tightened the spigot significantly post IC.  That's along with an existing aversion among investors in even looking at Turbine.   Meaning poor decisions come home to roost much earlier in the cycle.

Related to this but also opposed, the concept of it's done when it's done is typically foreign to Turbine while Blizzard are past masters of it, and their respective market share reflects that.   Hell Bliz is willing to scrap entire mmo's(TITAN) ,in concept stage, that it feels won't meet expectations.  Compare this to IC.  Or SOM/HD in regards to LOTRO.  Everyone knew it would flop.  Hell, even Turbine had to have some inclination, but they pushed forward anyway.  Not only that, but doubled down with massive marketing spending, show booths, siphoning resources from projects that were actual earners, ect.  Basically throwing good $ after bad.   All the while being unwilling to either sit on it till done or scrap.  Time will tell if this is a one off, or if Turbine is turning a corner in internal thinking.  It is just a raid after all not a business plan so I could be looking to deep into it.  At this point it's hard to imagine any Turbinite being unaware of the current state of the companies resources.   The sheer size and scope of cumulative layoff rounds should be a clue at least if nothing else.   Assuming(yea I know) Turbine keeps this in mind during white boarding while also being able to sit on it till it's actually done can only be a good thing.  It's a balancing act that at least till now Turbine showed no inclination in achieving.  It will be interesting to observe over time.

@Bendin, interesting post.  for me, some of the decisions...and sometimes they are small ones...that Turbine makes baffle me.

for instance, the game is currently nearly unplayable for a size-able chunk of the players.  turbine has reversed course and finally admitted that there are indeed problems and yet, with update 18.2, they are adding "frills" in the lower level areas--which, can be argued, will only add to the performance issues in the game.  

another example...the armor drops in the featured instances (which, was a great addition to the game). instead of ensuring the loot table was rigged to drop only gear specific for those running the instance, it was a free-for-all across the board.  they sought to correct the issue by adding an npc in-game so that you can trade gear you don't want for gear that you do want.  now, in update 18.2 they are adding a feature so that you can use coins that drop for the actual gear.  this last step should have been implemented on day one and been the norm and they wouldn't have had to waste developer time in adding a npc and other mechanics if it was simply done "right" the first time.

a lot of this stuff (and those are just two off the top of my head) points to poor decision making...or a complete lack of vision (management, etc.) another strong indicator that their staff is bare bones is the sheer lack of promotion that the company does for the game.  when you compare it to other titles old (WoW) and newer (FFXIV, STO) it becomes clear they are scraping by.  either that or WB sucks a sizeable amount of money off the top leaving them with scraps.  i would love to be privy to the internal workings of that company (financials, etc.) because from the outside looking in, it looks like a cluster fuck.

3 hours ago, Darmokk said:

No, no, folks.

They fixed everything. They don't even need more Bullroarer tests.

Turbine is the only company whose game I keep playing after they piss me off. Damned kin-mates force me into that. 

Usually the reasoning "I wasted 1K hours of my life on a stupid game, therefore I'm going to waste another couple of thousands" is anathema to me.  

It's like "I bought those strawberries on the cheap, so I'm going to eat them even if they rot". 

Damned kin-mates. 

• Upvote 1