LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

Even MORE layoffs...

4 hours ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

I'll hate to see LotRO close down, but this is a pretty clear indication that things are starting to wind down.

"Starting to?"   Haven't things been winding down in Lotro in last several years?

4 hours ago, MusicMachine said:

Found the pic:

Wow... I've never seen so many betas in one room outside of a comic con.

To be honest, I think the license won't be the problem. Why on earth would a large entertainment company let go one of the best fantasy licenses that currently is available and in their possession? Unless the price is extremely high, I can't imagine them not renewing the license, when they can just say "we renew it".

They just won't use it for Lotro anymore, or just keep lotro online with a very small team. I've got no idea what the monthly costs of a MMO are, but I guess they can get it low enough to keep it fairly stable running a make a nice profit from it while it doesn't need any attention

So, we have this lame excuse for a Game Development Studio that publicly announces its transition to a Mobile Development Studio (whatever the fsck that is supposed to mean), while at the same time, they (again) have to admit utter defeat wrt. their ability to handle their own broken additions to widely used forum software.

Bravo. I am sure all the sheep^Wmobile customers will be in awe about their mobile/web development competencies.

One can't help but stand by, amazed, and clap. Slowly.

SNy

27 minutes ago, Snowlock said:

And you guys think it has to be Turbine to keep LOTRO and DDO running in active development.

You need to help me real quick. Who here mentioned active development in the same context as LOTRO without using negation?

SNy

38 minutes ago, Snowlock said:

And you guys think it has to be Turbine to keep LOTRO and DDO running in active development.

I think even if WB was happy to sell and somebody wants to buy LOTRO the license issue would be tricky.

On one end WB is probably not comfortable with an independent club using "their" license. On the other end the buyer needs certainty about the license future-forward and we have seen that this isn't trivial.

Personally I think the copyright on all of Tolkien's work should have expired by now. Very obviously more damage than good is done to this part of Western culture at this point.

I think all LOTR copyright will expire 2043 i.e. 70 years after the death of Tolkein... I predict LOTRO will have died by that point ;)

12 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Personally I think the copyright on all of Tolkien's work should have expired by now. Very obviously more damage than good is done to this part of Western culture at this point.

It all goes back to this animation company and a mouse....

That completely screwed up copyright in the US.

51 minutes ago, bhoris said:

I think all LOTR copyright will expire 2043 i.e. 70 years after the death of Tolkein... I predict LOTRO will have died by that point ;)

and most other Tolkien stuff will taken even longer, because his son is still alive. But yeah, copyright has to be changed. It should be more something like 50 years after creation/publishing or 10 years after authors death, whichever comes first, with a minimum of 20 years, and for all creative works

7 hours ago, bhoris said:

No, because "Senator Disney" will have extended copyright to be longer by then.

You are talking about wanting someone else's property.  There's a word for that:  covetousness.

46 minutes ago, Dalthalion said:

You are talking about wanting someone else's property.  There's a word for that:  covetousness.

So do those who want to hold on to property that was intellectual to a person who is now dead.

There isn't a moral high ground in this.

what would it take for WB to move the game under the movie license, instead of bothering to renewing it under the book license? i understand that WB has the movie rights (could be wrong) so i am wondering if this is an option for lotro?

2 hours ago, juppy said:

what would it take for WB to move the game under the movie license, instead of bothering to renewing it under the book license? i understand that WB has the movie rights (could be wrong) so i am wondering if this is an option for lotro?

It was always part of the "movie license" (broadly speaking), which is owned by Saul Zaentz Company (SZC) who acquired it in '76 from United (iirc) who got it from Tolkien in the late '60s. WB currently "owns" (rents from SZC) the licence for the movies and when they bought Turbine several years ago, they therefore bought the game licence as well. The game licence runs out sometime in 2017 and would be up to SZC and WB to work out another deal. There's no option to do what you ask unless SZC agrees to it.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2016 at 8:01 AM, Darmokk said:

So do those who want to hold on to property that was intellectual to a person who is now dead.

There isn't a moral high ground in this.

You are being foolish.  The LOTR/Hobbit rights are held by Saul Zaentz.  The remainder are held by living heirs, who were rightly willed it and who rightly inherited it.  These things belong to their owners by right.

40 minutes ago, Dalthalion said:

You are being foolish.  The LOTR/Hobbit rights are held by Saul Zaentz.  The remainder are held by living heirs, who were rightly willed it and who rightly inherited it.  These things belong to their owners by right.

I challenge that ownership transfer.

The way you argue copyright would be unlimited. If that was the case for a longer time wouldn't wouldn't have Aristotle. Or the bible for that matter.

On 7/7/2016 at 8:45 PM, Leafblade said:

heaton I thought this was amusing. "If I can help...please let me know."

Anticipated Response: You've done enough.

Just an FYI it appears Richard moved to my town.  I also live in North Attleboro.  There's a good chance I might see him grocery shopping, if there are some messages you guys would like the pass along! JK

7 minutes ago, Thequinn said:

Just an FYI it appears Richard moved to my town.  I also live in North Attleboro.  There's a good chance I might see him grocery shopping, if there are some messages you guys would like the pass along! JK

Let's get him banned from the local pub.

On 7/12/2016 at 3:19 PM, Snowlock said:

No they could hire some small shitbird studio under the WB umbrella to keep the game going.  But they won't give up the rights to an outside agency.  Seriously why keep it going?   You need to make the argument to keep it going first.  Turbine is a mobile games company now with 2 dying MMO's and one in maintenance already for a while now.   

5 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

That's not how copyright actually works.  Works aren't "inherited", but a corporation can do some funky stuff and attempt to keep the rights going eternally.

3 hours ago, Thequinn said:

Well, there's always the "thanks for ruining the community that Patience created", but I'm not sure that's new to him....

On 7/14/2016 at 9:15 AM, Darmokk said:

I challenge that ownership transfer.

The way you argue copyright would be unlimited. If that was the case for a longer time wouldn't wouldn't have Aristotle. Or the bible for that matter.

Strawman argument.  Aristotle opted to give his knowledge freely, and the Bible was meant to be given to people.

But, since SZ and the Tolkien Estate are owners of their properties, wanting what they have is covetousness, plain-and-simple, and forcing the transfer of their property to you or someone else at your whim is theft, plain-and-simple.  There's no sugar-coating that.

3 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

Strawman argument.  Aristotle opted to give his knowledge freely, and the Bible was meant to be given to people.

But, since neither SZ not the Tolkien Estate are owners of their properties, wanting what they have is covetousness, plain-and-simple, and forcing the transfer of their property to you or someone else at your whim is theft, plain-and-simple.  There's no sugar-coating that.

...And that shows you have absolutely no idea how the US copyright system actually works.

Until Mickey Mouse hits public domain (hint: it's not), then there's no point arguing what happens with LotR because it hasn't existed as long as that mouse has - and the same framework of laws that keep Mickey tied to Disney apply to Tolkein's work.

And like all things legal, please check common sense at the door, it will help your sanity in the long run.