LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
nosam9

WoW just got a major graphics upgrade today

Interestingly, Blizzard did a major graphics upgrade a lot of which came out today in the pre-patch before Legion comes on Aug 30.   

They did not advertise this, but they improved all graphics and raised the minimum requirements for the game (not the official minimum specs though). The lowest settings for textures in game is now higher than it was yesterday (you can't reduce the textures as much now). The game looks strikingly better on minimum settings. This includes many improvements to graphics, how things are drawn, better view distances, better fog systems, improving view distance by using new methods that are less demanding of the PC running the game. Along with the model upgrades that came out a while ago, Blizzard has basically upgraded their aging MMO and engine for the game. The newest regions already looked amazing with tons of in game creatures like flies, butterflies and small animals making the land more alive.   

This upgrade is hurting a lot of players with low end machines - many of them can't run WoW as of today. BTW, blizzard also major changed all the class skills, completely gutting and redoing every class. People are not happy, but time will tell if they did a good job or now.  

On the graphics upgrade:  It just shows you what is possible given staff talent and money. Lotro could have been upgraded like this to improve landscape and the character models.  

It's too bad Turbine is some small indie company instead of being backed by a larger company with lots of money.   /s    

This shows you Turbine could have brought Lotro into the current generation of MMOs by improving the engine and graphics. But they would have had to spend money on the game and hire good staff. 

• Upvote 1

This upgrade is hurting a lot of players with low end machines - many of them can't run WoW as of today. 

Perhaps this is a problem?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Perhaps this is a problem?

It is a problem for some. Some people can't play anymore. I have to play now with my laptop running hot and the fans on high, but the plus side is the game looks nicer when I play on  minimum.  

What I am realizing is a bigger problem is they cut a ton of skills in all classes. They completely changed the 3 specs of each class to make them unique. People are quite unhappy about losing skills they used for years. For example, I loved being able to use stealth when questing on my hunter, and that is gone now. Actually, my hunter lost a ton of stuff, including traps. They really redesigned the classes for Legion (which comes Aug 30), and with the pre-patch all the class changes are live.  

The main thing, though, is this old MMO keeps updating the game. They recently made the wardrobe system much better, as an example. You can easily pick any clothing design you have ever found in the game and wear it now, for free. It's cool.

• Upvote 1

In the month or so that I've played, I got my main character to 63, and I'd played long enough on her before the pre-patch to feel the loss of the skills and glyphs I'd bought, but I got over it pretty quickly.  She's a hunter and for me the things I'm missing the most are the constant Aspect of the Cheetah speed boost and the fetch glyph.  (I could do without the whistle on Dire Beast though, that got old really quickly). From what I understand I can get the fetch function back via a Tome I can buy once I get to level 70.

But all the rest of the classes are still so new to me that I won't know what I"m missing.  It's odd to start new ones now since you're so limited up until level 10 when you choose a specialization, but for now I"m only leveling them to the point where I can buy the battle pets for the different races.

This is the first game I played that has flying mounts, and I do enjoy that, especially for exploring.

The graphics update hasn't hit me negatively yet, so fingers crossed.

And I enjoy being able to create and wear an outfit that I can keep on all the time, instead of looking so mismatched and noob-y with quest gear.

I haven't bought Legion, there's so much of the game for me to do first that I don't feel the need to pre-order or buy it anytime soon.  Does Blizzard tend to put their newest expansions on sale at all after they've been out for a while?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, warspeech said:

In the month or so that I've played, I got my main character to 63, and I'd played long enough on her before the pre-patch to feel the loss of the skills and glyphs I'd bought, but I got over it pretty quickly.  She's a hunter and for me the things I'm missing the most are the constant Aspect of the Cheetah speed boost and the fetch glyph.  (I could do without the whistle on Dire Beast though, that got old really quickly). From what I understand I can get the fetch function back via a Tome I can buy once I get to level 70.

Just wait till you get to Northrend! Beautiful in my opinion.

My main before prepatch was a hunter but they honestly feel a bit too clunky to me with the changes. I've been in the beta for Legion since May and I'm really leaning toward Demon Hunter for my main. Loads of fun.

I do know that there have been performance issues related to some specific graphics cards (and a lot of NVIDIA ones) that the team is looking into. Otherwise I'm not sure if its a bad thing that 10 year old computers are having a hard time handling graphics updates. Though maybe there should be some configuration option to go even lower to make it easier on those machines.

• Upvote 2

On 26/07/2016 at 6:53 PM, warspeech said:

But all the rest of the classes are still so new to me that I won't know what I"m missing.  It's odd to start new ones now since you're so limited up until level 10 when you choose a specialization, but for now I"m only leveling them to the point where I can buy the battle pets for the different races.

This is the first game I played that has flying mounts, and I do enjoy that, especially for exploring.

The graphics update hasn't hit me negatively yet, so fingers crossed.

And I enjoy being able to create and wear an outfit that I can keep on all the time, instead of looking so mismatched and noob-y with quest gear.

I haven't bought Legion, there's so much of the game for me to do first that I don't feel the need to pre-order or buy it anytime soon.  Does Blizzard tend to put their newest expansions on sale at all after they've been out for a while?

Blizzard bundles all the expansions bar the current one into the content that you get with sub. So right now you can play to the end of Pandarus and lvl90 and in a month or so, Warlords will be added to that. Hunter was my first class too - levelled her back in the days of WOTLK.

On 27/07/2016 at 1:46 PM, Ilodid said:

Just wait till you get to Northrend! Beautiful in my opinion.

My main before prepatch was a hunter but they honestly feel a bit too clunky to me with the changes. I've been in the beta for Legion since May and I'm really leaning toward Demon Hunter for my main. Loads of fun.

I do know that there have been performance issues related to some specific graphics cards (and a lot of NVIDIA ones) that the team is looking into. Otherwise I'm not sure if its a bad thing that 10 year old computers are having a hard time handling graphics updates. Though maybe there should be some configuration option to go even lower to make it easier on those machines.

I dropped MM to play survival and it's not bad - it's a hybrid dot\burst spec and so far it's made a nice change. That and my enhancement shaman will be what I level up and raid with when legion goes live.

• Upvote 1

The deal I got with the movie ticket promotion already had Warlords in the bundle, I think they added it around the time the movie came out.

I've been trying different classes and none have stuck with me aside from hunter so far.  I just started a shaman and that seems ok, want to try a mage too because of the portals.  It's hard to remember to stay still while casting though, I'm so used to running all the time on my hunter.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, warspeech said:

It's hard to remember to stay still while casting though, I'm so used to running all the time on my hunter.  

Yeah that is preety bad.  Year ago or so, I did try WoW trial and aside of many other issues I had with playing it,  being rooted in place while using skills was preety deal breaking.  I can't go back to such system anymore.   I know Lotro had this as well, but I've mained RK and Warden and most their skills that you actally used in combat were useable in motion. 

• Upvote 1