LOTROCommunity

Hello from Cordovan

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to publicly thank Cordovan for taking a leap of faith by reviewing my infraction history and restoring my access to the official forums, without me even specifically requesting it. I'll do my b

FYI: I also removed the top of the forum notice about the Community Guidelines. They can still be found through the Community drop-down tab.

I disagree with you. Breaking the rules is still breaking the rules. Some posters deliberately goad and insult others in a passive aggressive way that based on the words themselves in isolation is not

35 minutes ago, Cordovan said:

FYI: I also removed the top of the forum notice about the Community Guidelines. They can still be found through the Community drop-down tab.

Thank you, Cordovan. For those of us who remember when and why that was put there in the first place, this is a very welcome change.

• Upvote 1

To play devil's advocate, my account was un-banned last night. I think I sent a request a couple of months ago admitting that I went a bit far and asking for another chance to contribute to the game. Which I now intend to do.

For the record I think my ban was fully justified and yes I probably was a 'dick' although I didn't resort to swearing or insults... Maybe my last few OF posts even got preserved on here somewhere. I'm pretty sure the straw that broke the camels back was accusing Sapience directly of having contempt for the player base.

16 hours ago, Doro said:

I wrote him off after this particular post:

Basically, "if I don't unban you, it's because you were a dick". Then, when challenged on that, came out with more blame on the player. And when we mentioned this site's ban over there, the response was that it was likely our fault. The very concept of CM corruption didn't even crop up in his post. He also refuses to acknowledge what Turbine allowed to happen on the forums, and then said he didn't care about Turbine's history. A blinkered CM came waltzing over here with a big "fuck you" to everyone burnt by his company before.

While a couple of others on here may be acting like we should be bowing down and blowing him for daring to come here and ask for our opinions on the already rotting official forums, I'm firmly in the camp of those who haven't forgotten what previous Turbine employees were like and will certainly "dredge up" old issues when they're referred to by him. No response to the points we've raised tells me enough about him.

Question: Does the signature "Tyria awaits" deserve a ban on its own or only after a series of other offences? Or possibly no sanction but removal?

Sounds to me that someone with 9 infractions and 3 warnings is enough of a dick to be permabanned but that's just me unless all of those are fictitious.

16 hours ago, Doro said:

1 hour ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Sounds to me that someone with 9 infractions and 3 warnings is enough of a dick to be permabanned... 

This ^^, although considering his...colorful post history here over the years are you really surprised?

There are definitely people in this thread that aren't worth wasting Cordovan's time on.  People expecting public apologies and statements that Sapience and his regime went overboard are very naive and entitled.  If you care about contributing to the community then getting the ban removed should be enough.  Be grateful that they put someone in charge that actual cares about the community more than their own ego.

As for myself, I may or may not return and that return has nothing to do with the official forums as I prefer unofficial forums where you can always be more honest and upfront.

1 hour ago, frodofraggins said:

There are definitely people in this thread that aren't worth wasting Cordovan's time on.  People expecting public apologies and statements that Sapience and his regime went overboard are very naive and entitled.  If you care about contributing to the community then getting the ban removed should be enough.  Be grateful that they put someone in charge that actual cares about the community more than their own ego.

As for myself, I may or may not return and that return has nothing to do with the official forums as I prefer unofficial forums where you can always be more honest and upfront.

Naive and entitled because a person thinks that a company that treated its customers like dirt should acknowledge and apologise for its actions?

Turbine is doing terrible as a company, this olive branch is a desperate attempt to boost revenue that would not be happening if they were doing well. It would be naive to think otherwise.

And this community you speak of, some of us were a member of. Some of us gave up our free time to beta test Turbine's products and were treated with contempt, talked down to, and insulted.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

I don't think anyone should be grateful for anything. As a customer if I don't like how a company treats me, I no longer give them my business. This is one of the reasons (along with the direction of the game) why Turbine as a company has lost so many customers. They cannot suddenly try and be nice and think everything will be forgotten.

I have no problem with Cordovan. I like what he is doing and he seems like a decent person. I think he has been put in a very difficult position and he is trying his best to repair the game's community to hopefully boost profits for Turbine. My responses in this thread have been to explain to him that, for me, only an acknowledgement and an apology from a senior figure would change my view of Turbine and make me more inclined to spend money occasionally on the game.

One employee - probably of his own accord - trying to be nice is not enough. What happened went on for far too long sanctioned by Turbine. I don't think it is his place to try and improve relations with lapsed players who left because of the way Turbine communicated; the executive producer as the representative of Turbine should do that.

But that is not going to happen.

Greetings Cordovan.

Like many here I am a Tolkien lover and have appreciated the opportunity provided by LOTRO to explore his wonderful world in a gaming environment.

I believe the LOTRO forums are intended to provide an environment to compliment and enhance that gaming experience... in a fun way and also a source for game information, insight and gameplay suggestions.

So... "If you have a short bullet-list of what you feel is most important for the community (not development, that's a different thing), lemme know"...

- Keep it fun.

- When game development goes in a direction that is unpopular (with some portion of the player base) react with some empathy when wielding the ban and infraction hammer.

- Don't play one faction against another.

This really has to be "CM 101" but has seemed absent from the official forums at times.

As for the direction this thread has taken... Sapience... I was personally banned by a broad brush response the initial "spam attack" on the official forums on MLK holiday some time ago... but it was, IMO, a shot across the bow from Sapience and I was reinstated a couple weeks later. (after several derogatory protest emails from me directed directly at Sapience who seemed to be self regulatory in his duties)

Much of the difficulty, I believe, was also a case where Sapience was acting as the "Mouth of Paiz who ruled from Angband"... speculation but things certainly were a mess if you were not one of Sapience's chosen.

Too late for me but good luck creating a fun and informative forums for LOTRO thralls to chill out.

Speaking for myself only, I'm satisfied with getting that big screaming community guidelines banner off the front page of the forums.  That's enough of a public gesture for me and it feels like it put some demons to rest. 

I'm glad to hear of more bans being reversed and I hope we hear of more in the days to come.

• Upvote 1

Preface to my post: I am not very well known here or the official forums, (Forum name: PoeticNightmare) so I may not hold much weight but would like to share my opinion if that's ok. 

I think it's great and a huge step forward that Cordovan has posted here to engage the members of this forum. Regardless of what people believe his intentions are, or whether it's viewed as a futile/too little too late effort, it's still something that I am sure we can all agree would NEVER have happened with past CM's. So far, from what I've seen, it seems Cordovan is doing his best to address concerns while remaining professional and adhering to Turbine's policies of what he can discuss (obviously out of his control)

As far as acknowledging past CM's actions, situations, mistakes, etc.; I am not sure what he could really do. For one thing, would a statement about that really accomplish anything? I totally understand people not wanting to brush things under the rug and/or not accepting forgiving and forgetting. But, it the context of a game forum, it really just might be the best thing, so that the community move forward with a fresh start rather than harp on past conflict. It probably would just continue to keep those conflicts alive, with debates as to whether or not certain actions or words were appropriate or not. Also, I am not so sure Cordovan can even do that. It would surprise me greatly if he actually was allowed, per company policy, to discuss such things. I totally agree that there were unfair infractions/bans, and the way people were spoken to was completely unprofessional and downright nasty at times. As mentioned above, HD beta is a prime example. I just think it may be a good thing to have a bit of a fresh start. 

Though I was never banned, I definitely had my share of issues with both posters on the OF and with Sapience. Those few that do know me, will know that I never posted anything nasty and, even in the most heated arguments, kept things polite and refrained from insults. Regardless, I had my fair share of posters attack me for any criticism, derailing my topics, baiting, etc. They did so with very few, or no, repercussions. It happened, it sucked, but whatever. The CM is no longer there, some of those posters are no longer there, and I am willing to be optimistic that those types of issues won't occur any more. Could I be wrong? Of course! But I am fine with continuing on and seeing what happens. In the end, it's the game and Tolkien I am passionate about. The forums are a supplement, that I don't feel I should get too worked up over. Of course, that is my way of thinking and I in NO WAY am preaching to others how they should view things. Again, just offering my own POV for any who is interested. 

If you made it this far in my ramblings, then I thank you! lol. I know it's a heated topic and I hope I didn't come across as rude or preachy or anything. Just offering my thoughts. I am happy to say I have always gotten along with everyone here and have always had civil discussions, even with those who I have strongly disagreed with. 

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Cordovan said:

Awesome! That is much appreciated, thanks!

*bows*

SNy

6 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Question: Does the signature "Tyria awaits" deserve a ban on its own or only after a series of other offences? Or possibly no sanction but removal?

Sounds to me that someone with 9 infractions and 3 warnings is enough of a dick to be permabanned but that's just me unless all of those are fictitious.

Considering the vast amount of my infractions were later overturned or simply for getting on the wrong side of the fanboys, I'd say they weren't anything to do with being a dick. But the issue is that the signature didn't cause the ban. It was actually removed by the mods themselves. It was only after the fact that I was perma-banned that the later 20 point infraction for my old signature was added. Probably just to make sure that this time it wasn't overturned.

The funny thing is I don't even remember my forum name when I used to post over there a lot.  I do remember being new and liking both Sapience and Celestrata.

I looked up an old thread and found my old forum name, Cindir.

Do you guys remember this thread?  It was a great post.
Poke some fun at "Call me maybe" LOTRO-style!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?470924-Poke-some-fun-at-quot-Call-me-maybe-quot-LOTRO-style!

I remember it was so funny. Clover and Celestrata are in that thread, and Fred and lots of old timers. Man, things changed a lot. This was before the dark times over there. /shivers

35 minutes ago, nosam9 said:

The funny thing is I don't even remember my forum name when I used to post over there a lot.  I do remember being new and liking both Sapience and Celestrata.

I looked up an old thread and found my old forum name, Cindir.

Do you guys remember this thread?  It was a great post.
Poke some fun at "Call me maybe" LOTRO-style!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?470924-Poke-some-fun-at-quot-Call-me-maybe-quot-LOTRO-style!

I remember it was so funny. Clover and Celestrata are in that thread, and Fred and lots of old timers. Man, things changed a lot. This was before the dark times over there. /shivers

Ha I remember that! Good old days. Here's one of mine from back then that was really good for a laugh. Love reading some of the posts in this one...

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?412012-Dumb-things-you-ve-done-when-first-playing-LOTRO&highlight=dumb+things

4 hours ago, Doro said:

Considering the vast amount of my infractions were later overturned or simply for getting on the wrong side of the fanboys, I'd say they weren't anything to do with being a dick. But the issue is that the signature didn't cause the ban. It was actually removed by the mods themselves. It was only after the fact that I was perma-banned that the later 20 point infraction for my old signature was added. Probably just to make sure that this time it wasn't overturned.

Come on now, you know you are a massive dick ;)

It's just that you weren't on there!

1 hour ago, Amorey said:

The Players Council  is no more , it will be replaced by the Palantir program .

Here is the announcement :

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?645408-LOTRO-Players-Council-Announcement&p=7640157#post7640157  

Thanks Cordovan d;)b

That's probably better for all.

15 hours ago, warspeech said:

I remember you too, PoeticNightmare! (That's a hard name to forget). Good to see you here, didn't realize that was you.

Hail Warspeech! Yeah been a while since I've been here. Took a break from the game and forums for awhile

16 hours ago, Amorey said:

The Players Council  is no more , it will be replaced by the Palantir program .

Here is the announcement :

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?645408-LOTRO-Players-Council-Announcement&p=7640157#post7640157  

Thanks Cordovan d;)b

I like Cordovan already!