LOTROCommunity

Two kites can be obtained during the present summer festival:

one with 75 summer festival tokens (for festivals, this is an 'expensive' item that takes quite a while to obtain)

one with 30 mithril coins

The latter is larger/more colorful/etc. than the former. Is this the first time that a new item was available like this, during a festival?

Today I spotted this thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?645299-Heil-Mümak

This pet apparently is a rare drop but can also be bought in the store.

The horse of Michael Delving could only be obtained in game but is now also available in the store.

Is this going to be the new trend/money maker? That what is rare (and/or nicely designed) or even obsolete in game is available in the store and 'better' versions of what can be obtained in game are also available in the store (but only during the appropriate festival - this feels like the Disney vault - an artificial scarcity)?

Smart.

I think as long as it is but cosmetic stuff, let them sell it in their store.

That would have been the one venue that would have actually made sense for them to make money the whole time without compromising their "convenience not advantage" statements. You know, stuff like horse designs and armour appearances, stuff that should be relatively quick to make (especially horse designs, anyone remember the contest they had? People would have made them for them, if done right!).

But instead they opted to gimp gameplay or to make stuff for character improvement rare to elicit store sells just to ease the pain.

SNy

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 1:53 PM, Chromite said:

The mumak pets are different cosmetically.  The one from the raid looks like the head-swiping mumaks that path all over the raid arena while the one from the store looks similar to the ones you fight.

I think if they had to put the Mumaks in the raid where people who don't group can't get them unless they buy on the AH, it should have been the one where the baskets on them not the plain stampeders imo. I don't mind either way if fluff is in the raid but at least give people a way to barter them for a bit of grind without having to do the raid or play the AH game..

On 8/1/2016 at 10:03 AM, Tarantula said:

Two kites can be obtained during the present summer festival:

one with 75 summer festival tokens (for festivals, this is an 'expensive' item that takes quite a while to obtain)

one with 30 mithril coins

The latter is larger/more colorful/etc. than the former. Is this the first time that a new item was available like this, during a festival?

Is this going to be the new trend/money maker? That what is rare (and/or nicely designed) or even obsolete in game is available in the store and 'better' versions of what can be obtained in game are also available in the store (but only during the appropriate festival - this feels like the Disney vault - an artificial scarcity)?

Smart.

To me it wasn't clever, it was a pretty blatent money grab.