LOTROCommunity

WoW Does LIs... Correctly =(

Almagnus1

After one of my friends that plays WoW pointed me to the calculator for their legendary weapons (which includes things like Doomhammer and Ashbringer - actual legendary weapons from within the lore including a bunch of others that Blizzard fabricated for the sake of filling out the arsenal), I can't help but think this is what the LotRO LIs should have always been.

In any case, here's the calculator so you can mess around with them.  Apparently some of the talents alter how the weapon looks (druids alter forms where it makes since).

http://www.wowhead.com/artifact-calc/druid/feral/AubDI6A

Ultimately, you would get enough points to paint the entire tree.  That's kinda what I wanted to see from day one with the LotRO LIs...

Classic example of Blizzard taking something from another game and polishing the hell out of it. It's really not that much different from LOTRO implementation and at its heart is essentially a way to further increase the power of your character once you have reached level cap. Some people will like it, some people will consider it a grind, especially as you have to do an artefact weapon for each spec.

1 hour ago, bhoris said:

Classic example of Blizzard taking something from another game and polishing the hell out of it. It's really not that much different from LOTRO implementation and at its heart is essentially a way to further increase the power of your character once you have reached level cap. Some people will like it, some people will consider it a grind, especially as you have to do an artefact weapon for each spec.

It depends, if Wows implementation doesn't require a "redo" every cap then I wouldn't categorize it as polish, I would categorize it as a core functionality improvement/change.  I would also be curious if you need to Find 100's-1000s of the damn things to advance. Again if Wow's system doesn't require that level of asshatery, I consider it more than polish.  That's a distinct design difference.

Polish is tweaking a few #'s or changing text or graphic icon etcetera.  a shiny pile is still a pile. "polish" doesn't change functionality, merely it's presentation.  If however, the core functionality is fundamentally different and delivers completely different results that is a distinct and new system not a polished one.

EDIT and yes I realize the whole 100+ li finally grows with you, blah blah. The 40 levels prev. however your just SOL.

15 minutes ago, Bendin said:

EDIT and yes I realize the whole 100+ li finally grows with you, blah blah. The 40 levels prev. however your just SOL.

Except you have heirloom weapons that grow with you too (stats adjust for your level). And you can put the skin/look of any weapon on that weapon.  

Blizzard does a good job in general. They might miss in some things they try, but they spend a lot of time and think hard on how to do things. In Lotro you get raids and things broken for a long time. In WoW these things get fixed quickly.

WoW has always been a very good game. Sure, sometimes they do shit people don't like(Cataclysm, pandas, garrisons), but they hit far more often than they miss. There's a reason why they've always been substantially more successful than any other MMO. But with that level of popularity comes a lot of negativity from some quarters.

I hear a lot of people say that they hate WoW's graphical style(which I love). That's a completely legitimate viewpoint to have, but it doesn't make WoW a flaming pile of shit just because you personally don't like it.

I still think everyone needs to check out one or two of the better, more established private servers just to see what it was like at it's peak quality(Vanilla through Wrath of the Lich King).

Not only is it an excellent system in its own right, but Blizzard have put in mechanisms whereby players of alts or those running behind the curve have catch up mechanisms for levelling their epics without having to resort to a Store. Can't wait for Legion's go live next week.

• 1 month later...

In regards to the "legendary weapon system", I still think FFXIV does it best--by giving the player the most options.

Yes, the "relic" weapon grind is for real--and arguable, moreso than in LotRO--but, it's 1 path of several to obtain a comparable weapon.

The difference between the relic weapon, the tomestone weapon and the primal weapon is minimal.  

The more options you give people, the better (imo)

My problem with WoWs implementation is that (for the most part) it is just a bunch of passive bonuses (mostly damage) that you get to skills with no real customisation or choice. Basically they have just stripped away power from character skills you have at L110 which you then regain from maxing out your legendary weapon.

On 10/5/2016 at 6:49 AM, bhoris said:

Have had a chance to play around with the Legendary Weapon system in WoW and actually find it worse than LOTROs.  

not even close. Thats laughable

8 hours ago, bhoris said:

My problem with WoWs implementation is that (for the most part) it is just a bunch of passive bonuses (mostly damage) that you get to skills with no real customisation or choice. Basically they have just stripped away power from character skills you have at L110 which you then regain from maxing out your legendary weapon.

also laughable

12 hours ago, Jedy2 said:

@ Exiled - care to explain? I don't understand. Your words seem simple - the meaning obscure. 

It's not even remotely close to lotros lgendary item system in suckiness. It's actually closer to a talent tree. There is no RNG factor at all. Just a straightforward alternate advancement for your character in which you chose the multiple paths you would like to take to reach the three capstone skills/traits on the weapon.

Only a die hard lotro fan or a devout WoW hater would say that lotros system is "better"

As to "power being taken away and given back" does this statement really need an explanation as to why it is laughable?

Ah yes, the old "you must be something nefarious because Im new and have an opinion" response. Anyone want to actually discuss the posts and or topic? I play lotro and WoW just for clarification, not that it should have to be said.

Ironically those types of responses are trolling in nature. someone actually called me a "fanboi" but im the troll?

isnt this exactly the type of behaviour you all bemoaned on the Lotro Oficial forums? lmao.Neither of you two  made any relevant posts concerning the topic. Typical. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...