LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

WoW Legion first impressions...

first off, if there is a thread on this already, I apologize. 

not really a WoW fan, but the build up for the expansion had me intrigued.  so I rolled a demon hunter and I have to say I'm impressed.  the individual story lines, the wide variety of quests, the new areas look amazing and for an old game engine...well, WoW puts LotRO to utter shame, tbh.

is anyone else checking it out?

Glad you're having fun!

I let my sub lapse for now (autumn is my favorite time of year and I spend as much time as I can outdoors).  I've got a 60-day WoW game time card and I'm planing on picking it back up around Christmastime.  Maybe Legion might even be on sale by then.  I've heard good things too and look forward to getting back to it, though I think I was only level 65 when my month ran out so I've still got a lot to do before I hit the new stuff.

I am playing. So far Legion is really impressive:  tons of rare mobs, the game is hard enough I am dying sometimes (and dying a lot from players on a PvP server). Questing is perfect for me: it goes fast, doesn't feel grindy, leveling is fast.   

The class halls are nice because every class is very different (has a different house and weapon to level up). So lots of replayability. The world feels huge at this point with all the lower level zones, Draenor (last expansions zones), etc.  

It's ironic WoW is now doing legendary weapons that grow with you, and companions that help you fight on the world with you. It's like Turbine could come up with good ideas, but greed or lack of effort made them bad. Lotro had companions that you call to help you, but then they made them useless by making them temporary and cost TPs. Plus, with the difficulty broken in the game, you don't need help. In WoW, it is just a nice convenience that speeds things up, and free of course. WoW has proved the sub model is much better than Turbine's (pay to lessen grind) F2P model.  

Now is the best time to play WoW. The worlds are absolutely alive - tons of players everywhere.

I was actually surprised at the body count thus far into Legion.  From all accounts, it's like Blizzard took a few too many notes from George R. R. Martin o.O

On 9/6/2016 at 3:37 PM, nosam9 said:

It's ironic WoW is now doing legendary weapons that grow with you, and companions that help you fight on the world with you. It's like Turbine could come up with good ideas, but greed or lack of effort made them bad. Lotro had companions that you call to help you, but then they made them useless by making them temporary and cost TPs. Plus, with the difficulty broken in the game, you don't need help. In WoW, it is just a nice convenience that speeds things up, and free of course. WoW has proved the sub model is much better than Turbine's (pay to lessen grind) F2P model.  

While the LIs aren't really comparable (as Relic/Anima weapons aren't the same thing), but that's a lot of the same reasons why FFXIV is probably the only true WoW competitor on the market at the moment, even if they are still millions off of the subscription count.

Subscription >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> F2P

WoW's new expansion Legion has sold over 10.3 copies already - and many people are still buying it.  They have already had $515 million in sales from this expansion.    

It shows how making and selling a good product can be profitable. But you have to spend enough money first to make the product be good. Turbine still needs to learn this.

I bought it at the last minute.  I was still burned out on the game when I started the expac.  I did get bored leveling but have had fun once i hit the cap.  That's more because I don't read their quests and rush to the level cap and then relax at 110.  They have absolutely made improvements and corrections to WoD.

I'll definitely try to play as a DH as they look fun.

Legion got me back in to WoW again after a long hiatus (at least 3 years). I think its the best expansion they have put out to date, when you consider the age of the game that is quite an achievement. 

4 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

Legion got me back in to WoW again after a long hiatus (at least 3 years). I think its the best expansion they have put out to date, when you consider the age of the game that is quite an achievement. 

Completely agree. I've not come across an expansion in any MMO where there is just so much to do and which caters for different styles of play. The world quest system on its own is fantastic but add that to the 8 new dungeons with normal, hc and mythic which have plus the order hall campaigns. I've not even thought about playing any of my alts yet - apart from getting my prot paladin her artifact - because of the massive amount of content available.

But for me the biggest win is how the world content adjusts to your level - all the content is playable regardless whether one is 100 or 110. The dungeons auto-level to 110 so the pool of players is massive - and it works. The only aspect I've not tried yet is any pvp but once I've got better gear I'll give that a go.

So I thoroughly recommend to anyone who has never tried wow to give it a go - you'll be surprised how good the game is.

So I've reached level cap and I'm still having a blast (which to be fair took me just over a week, playing about 3-4 hours an evening).

Like others have mentioned, LOTS to do.  The world content stuff is probably the best set of "dailies" I've seen an MMO kick out.  They're actually...fun.  I have next to zero experience with WoW prior to this, but I'm having a blast and would also recommend it.  Side note:  It doesn't hurt that the Demon Hunter class is wicked fun!

This will tie me over until patch 3.4 comes out for FFXIV :)

Posts here have actually had me consider downloading WoW again.

Last time I played was after the Burning Crusade expansion and I would guess that was ~2008.

But I have the same issues that I have had with LOTRO for the last year = no time to devote to gaming...

Defiantly worth giving Legion a try..I have a feeling you wont be disappointed.. My tiny monk is 107 , just going slowly because I am having so much fun questing. There are so many things to discover. I am currently in Stormheim  which is  a beautiful place.  They have done a superb job, the game is so immersive. Just love the soundtrack too. 

Definitely a good expansion so far with lots of replayability.

However, the big telling factor will be how much support it gets over the next 18 months.  Draenor's biggest crime was the massive content drought after release (other than the anemic content patch they put out with Tanaan).