LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
RedMaggu

Would you pay Mithril for housing - hypothetically

If Turbine spent considerable dev time making new housing zones, with everything the housing update from a while ago was meant to have, but then asked you to pay a 'large' amount in Mithril to purchase and upkeep the property, what would be your initial reaction?

I mean in the region of you could buy a AAA steam title for the purchase price of the house alone

• Upvote 1

No.

Unless housing was more integrated into the game.

Right now, it's just something that's there. It's kind of fun to decorate, but any enjoyment is short-lived, and frustration quickly takes over. Even with the recent increase in hooks, it's all too common to have too few, or too many, items for a particular type of hook.

MCs are just too expensive for such fluff.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RedMaggu said:

If Turbine spent considerable dev time making new housing zones, with everything the housing update from a while ago was meant to have, but then asked you to pay a 'large' amount in Mithril to purchase and upkeep the property, what would be your initial reaction?

Of course not. The game is in too bad shape now.

• Upvote 1

I love housing in games but I would never ever pay  Mithril   coins for it, no matter how much  I like LOTRO . That would be a big NO NO for me. Everything our character own, including houses and decoration, should be obtainable in game without the need to pay extra for it. 

That is out of the question as long as we don't get confirmation that the Tolkien license has been dealt with and the game last longer than next spring.

The only word we got about it so far (apart form forum bans for asking) is that the license status is a business secret and will not be announced before it impacts the game in a player-visible manner.

No investments of time or money from me until that changes.

• Upvote 1

At the moment I refuse to spend any money on the game. I would quite like the new Update. Even with double point offer, and the sale where the newest quest pack was 25% off, I could not bring myself to purchase it. Helms Deep and the quests in Minas Tirith - especially the Forlong quest chain - seriously turned me off the game and I do not want to spend money, if that is the kind of content it is going to have. I want to enjoy myself, not grind.

I am interested in this expansion they are working on, but again am so very sceptical and wary because of the boring and ridiculous quest chains their quest writer seems to think are fun.

The license issue is also another point that does not encourage me to spend money. If they stop with the grindy and the ridiculously long and boring quest chains, I would play more often. I would be willing to spend money on the game. But at the moment no.

I don't think there is any excuse for the Forlong quest chain. I actually cannot even believe I managed to complete it.

I would not be willing to spend Mithril Coins, but I'd be willing to purchase a special version of the next expansion pack if it came with meaningful housing updates; but that would be contingent on the the quests in the pack. I'm not willing to force myself to complete content any more. At this stage in the game's life their quest programmer should know what is boring and frustrating. You'd think their quest programmer would be going out of his way to make the game fun, not annoy and turn the players away, and also recognise that players repeat the content on alts. It needs to be bearable to do more than once.

When they can't even make quests fun; fix the lag and create instances the players approve of, does anyone seriously think they'd be able to do a housing upgrade that would be useful and enjoyable to use?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mallorn said:

At the moment I refuse to spend any money on the game. I would quite like the new Update. Even with double point offer, and the sale where the newest quest pack was 25% off, I could not bring myself to purchase it. Helms Deep and the quests in Minas Tirith - especially the Forlong quest chain - seriously turned me off the game and I do not want to spend money, if that is the kind of content it is going to have. I want to enjoy myself, not grind.

I am interested in this expansion they are working on, but again am so very sceptical and wary because of the boring and ridiculous quest chains their quest writer seems to think are fun.

I still haven't bought update 18 either, for the same reasons.  I looked at it when it was 20% off, and again at 25% off, and both times it still felt like it was too expensive for what I'd be getting.  

Ii can't imagine that the new expansion will be anywhere comparable in content to the previous ones, I think it will be skimpy on quests and full of grind, while not providing much in the way of enjoyment, for me at least.  I'm done trying to fill up all my rep bars just to see them full.  If it isn't fun or interesting, I don't do it anymore.

16 hours ago, Tarantula said:

Same thing: I am not paying 100 mithril for more storage in my kin houses either.

Oh I would ... when Turbine gives me free Mithril coins from Hobbit presents.  If Turbine is going to put up a money wall, I want them to pay for the door.  It's how I've handled them since I stopped paying them post-Moria.  :P

3 hours ago, warspeech said:

I still haven't bought update 18 either, for the same reasons.  I looked at it when it was 20% off, and again at 25% off, and both times it still felt like it was too expensive for what I'd be getting.  

Ii can't imagine that the new expansion will be anywhere comparable in content to the previous ones, I think it will be skimpy on quests and full of grind, while not providing much in the way of enjoyment, for me at least.  I'm done trying to fill up all my rep bars just to see them full.  If it isn't fun or interesting, I don't do it anymore.

Yep, I don't do any content if I'm not finding it fun either. For the past 9 months or so, I have been feeling very apathetic and not getting any enjoyment out of anything I do. I've been through so many mmos and stopped playing because I was getting no enjoyment from them. Reading others comments here at least tells me that my feelings towards LOTRO are not me, but are in fact 100% down to the game.

I'm not sure what they could do to make the game better at this point as I think there is a general feeling of stagnation in the game and the community that play it. Most players in game seem to be just going through the motions because LOTRO has been a part of their life for so long, and the new players, are well, new players, you see them come and go. The odd one stays playing once they reach cap.

41 minutes ago, Mallorn said:

Yep, I don't do any content if I'm not finding it fun either. For the past 9 months or so, I have been feeling very apathetic and not getting any enjoyment out of anything I do. I've been through so many mmos and stopped playing because I was getting no enjoyment from them. Reading others comments here at least tells me that my feelings towards LOTRO are not me, but are in fact 100% down to the game.

I'm not sure what they could do to make the game better at this point as I think there is a general feeling of stagnation in the game and the community that play it. Most players in game seem to be just going through the motions because LOTRO has been a part of their life for so long, and the new players, are well, new players, you see them come and go. The odd one stays playing once they reach cap.

I think there is a certain amount of integrity that goes out the window (for developers) when they are producing a F2P game.  I firmly believe they would never play the shit they produce themselves.  It's all about the $$.  The quest line mentioned in this thread, for example, Forlong...Turbine feigned sympathy on the OF when people were complaining about the back and forth nature of the quest line.  What did they do?  Added a fast travel mithril coin option to the quest line.  Because nothing screams integrity like offering a store bought option to make content bearable.  And the masses actually thanked Turbine for taking (more) their money.  Hook, line and sinker.

7 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

Oh I would ... when Turbine gives me free Mithril coins from Hobbit presents.  If Turbine is going to put up a money wall, I want them to pay for the door.  It's how I've handled them since I stopped paying them post-Moria.  :P

The times I have received Mithril coins from Hobbit presents in the past years can be counted on one hand. Definitely not enough to add up to 100.

Maybe you have had more luck with MC?

Qualified "Yes"... If the price wasn't enormous, the housing was awesome, and I felt the game was likely to carry on for another couple of years. The latest housing improvements have raised the bar for me: it would have to be clearly better than what I already have.

On 10-9-2016 at 9:59 AM, Amorey said:

I love housing in games but I would never ever pay  Mithril   coins for it, no matter how much  I like LOTRO . That would be a big NO NO for me. Everything our character own, including houses and decoration, should be obtainable in game without the need to pay extra for it. 

In my opinion housing and decorations are, just like cosmetic gear, the kind of things that are perfect for a shop/ingame monetary currency. Those things don't give a real advantage, but are just fluff. Perfect for monetizing.

For housing, changing the current housing system into a system where everything is monetized is a clear NO for me. Adding new things that are monetized, or making it possible to buy a 2nd house for MC would be acceptable to me.

Well, it looks like that's 10 for no and 2 for yes. A 17% player approval rating is more than enough for Turbine to implement it now. Anyone want to suggest monetising the rest of the game, too (I actually can't think of anything that hasn't been monetised in some way...)?

well, a F2P game has to be monetized some way and I think this is one of the better areas to be monetized - Of course depending on the execution of monetizing it. I was surprised that the extra housing hooks were free for everyone and not monetized. That is one of the things, just like cosmetics, that is perfect for being monetized.

Instead they add 15 lvl's extra for imbued LI's where half of those can/should be bought by MC/ give new essences which requires us to buy an essence removal scroll. And yeah, I use my monthly 500 TP for those things and not for so-called fluff, but there are enough players who like that fluff and would willingly spend money on it.

And if 17% of the player base would spend a large amount of MC on anything Turbine develops I'd guess they see it as a financial succes ;)

3 hours ago, Thrabath said:

well, a F2P game has to be monetized some way and I think this is one of the better areas to be monetized - Of course depending on the execution of monetizing it. I was surprised that the extra housing hooks were free for everyone and not monetized. That is one of the things, just like cosmetics, that is perfect for being monetized.

Instead they add 15 lvl's extra for imbued LI's where half of those can/should be bought by MC/ give new essences which requires us to buy an essence removal scroll. And yeah, I use my monthly 500 TP for those things and not for so-called fluff, but there are enough players who like that fluff and would willingly spend money on it.

And if 17% of the player base would spend a large amount of MC on anything Turbine develops I'd guess they see it as a financial succes ;)

Turbine doesn't inspire confidence in me going on past history.  They could take something that everyone says they'd pay for and still find ways to screw it up. 

On 9/12/2016 at 9:31 AM, Thrabath said:

In my opinion housing and decorations are, just like cosmetic gear, the kind of things that are perfect for a shop/ingame monetary currency. Those things don't give a real advantage, but are just fluff. Perfect for monetizing.

For housing, changing the current housing system into a system where everything is monetized is a clear NO for me. Adding new things that are monetized, or making it possible to buy a 2nd house for MC would be acceptable to me.

Fair enough. I am just one of those people that sill remember 'life before F2P' when I had to work hard for anything I wanted in game. Of course LOTRO needs to be monetized  today , I learned to live with it but I don't have to like it.  IF Turbine decide to go down the road of ' let's monetize housing and housing decorations' I will not be taking advantage of the offer 

On 2016-09-12 at 4:31 AM, Thrabath said:

Maybe the extra housing hooks are a sign of what is to come.

I have more than one account and have a deluxe house on each (thanks to that one brief window years ago, where VIP could be tried out for free).
I think that being able to buy a second house for MC may be more expensive than lifting the gold cap for an account.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Tarantula said:

Maybe the extra housing hooks are a sign of what is to come.

I have more than one account and have a deluxe house on each (thanks to that one brief window years ago, where VIP could be tried out for free).
I think that being able to buy a second house for MC may be more expensive than lifting the gold cap for an account.

I did the same thing when that "try VIP for free" offer came out.  It was only recently that I got rid of all of my deluxe houses on alt accounts, I didn't see a reason for them anymore and I was able to use their interior items in the houses I kept once they added all the extra hooks.  

I used those alt accounts to get a few kinhouses too, that was before you could create a kin with only one member.

21 hours ago, Frosty said:

Would buy it ... 

... but only if Turbine was no longer in charge of Lotro :P

What if EA bought it?  Would you feel the same?