LOTROCommunity

Would you pay Mithril for housing - hypothetically

RedMaggu

On 9/28/2016 at 4:13 AM, Brrokk said:

I'm relaxed about very overpriced things being in the Store, as long as I don't have to buy them. It's a way for people with lots of money to support the game I like playing. Maybe we could have more hobby-horses, coloured for earth, air, fire, water or something?

Mumak mount.  Giant size, not the pet-sized one.  Like the WoW transmog yak.  Make it have vendor and vault service so you can access those from anywhere when the mount is out.  Ka-ching!

1 hour ago, Tarantula said:
From the LotrO forums:

DrOctothorpe is online now The Lord of the Rings Online Team

Upkeep & Premium Housing

Hey everyone,

We want all players to feel good about any housing they choose to purchase with Mithril. We have been listening to the Bullroarer feedback and are now looking at changing upkeep costs to make them minimal and generally non-burdensome.

Cheers!
Dr#

Minimal and generally non-burdensome.... still MC though? Houses are still bunkers....

Yeah, it doesn't change the housing style, too bad about that.  But we'll have to see what they come up with for new maintenance costs.  I wonder if they can change it for the next BR build?

(I really think that Andang housing reaction video had a lot to do with this - that got a wider distribution than the BR forums ever do.)

13 hours ago, warspeech said:

Mumak mount.  Giant size, not the pet-sized one.  Like the WoW transmog yak.  Make it have vendor and vault service so you can access those from anywhere when the mount is out.  Ka-ching!

Oh, I think I'm getting the hang of this now: Premium Wizard Soldier - make your skirmish soldier look like Gandalf the Grey and throw fireballs to support you in combat! Profit!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Brrokk said:

Oh, I think I'm getting the hang of this now: Premium Wizard Soldier - make your skirmish soldier look like Gandalf the Grey and throw fireballs to support you in combat! Profit!

d;)b

Eagle Escape Token.  Summon an Eagle to swoop in, destroy your foes, and remove you from danger.  10-day cooldown.  Subsequent use makes the Eagle drop you off in out-of-the-way, inconvenient places, so use wisely!

• Upvote 1

New Bullroarer built:

Upkeep new housing will be payable in gold now: 1g/week for the premium houses and 5g/week for the kinhouse.

Upkeep in MC has been lowered: 2MC/week for the premium houses and 5MC/week for the kinhouse.

I guess that the possibility of gold upkeep also is the answer to the questions of players who wanted to know (when upkeep is only possible through MC) what would happen to a premium house when the owner stops being VIP or stops playing for a while.

As requested, Turbine has broken up the new housing item bundles in the store. I think they have realized that people will much sooner buy the parts of a bundle that they like when they don't have to buy the parts they don't like.

I may buy some of those pieces (there are some beautiful new trees) but I will not buy a premium (kin)house because I still find them uggggggggly!

• 2 weeks later...

The release notes for U19 have been available since at least Friday (which other promotional activities are linked to in the launcher).

It has been stated on the OF that this is in anticipation of the roll out (and something they want to try from now on apparently), which may be today, or later this week. This then coincides with the start of the Fall Festival.

However, because no down time has been announced, I do not take 'roll out today' serious. But it is a possibility that this down time comes unannounced.

I have been keeping an eye on the available elven houses on my server and have seen an increase in available Deluxe houses over the last week.

To me, the release notes being available is meant to create a hype for the new housing area which will be a major caaaaa$hing for Turbine/WB.

PSA: Premium housing maintenance for VIPs is supposed to be free, and doesn't let you paid in gold, but DOES consume mithril coins even though it shouldn't. 

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?647943-Upkeep-waived-for-VIP-not-working&p=7661135#post7661135

" As VIP it won't let you pay in gold. It tells you when you try to pay that it is free for VIPs. But caution: It WILL let you pay mithril. You don't need to pay anything if you're VIP, though. "

I just read at the OF that Premium houses come with no extra storage, so what I posted above about them being a cost effective storage solution is nonsense. Now, they're only good for whale hunting. Wanna know who the players in your server with money to burn are? Take a walk through Belfalas, read their names.

Between the game coming back up and around 3.30pm est I counted that around 25 island kin houses had been sold on my server and quite a few non-island ones as well.

Edit 1: at 7pm 49 island kinhouses were sold.

Edit 2: at 11.15pm all 60 island kinhouses (2 per 30 neighborhoods) were sold.

Apparently the houses are selling well. I went to the Cape of Belfalas. The houses are just ok; the views of the sea are fine, but don't believe the hype.

- The houses don't have extra storage, the chest is just to access to your original house chest.

- The design is uninspired and cold. Quite rightly Gondorians are almost extinguished. Maybe most died of pneumonia inside those tomb houses.

- The neighborhood is insanely big, the services are far except for a couple of houses.

- As any area since RoR, it has FPS and stutter problems. Less than other areas, but it is noticeable.

- Fine, the MC upkeep is not needed now but the house prices are not justified, in my opinion.

From the OF:

Today, 05:42 PM #11

Renting housing

I have to admit, I am slightly disappointed at what is happening with the premium housing. The players with alot of MC are buying up the houses and then renting them for in game gold to other players. I don't think this is what was intended....... (on Landroval - can't say for the other servers if that is happening as well)
(and further down the thread:)
I think Player run is the problem I have. I am a VIPer who happens to like to spend most of my TP's, if not all and then buy more during the month. I don't have the TP to buy a new house, nor the MC, nor the 2000 gold per month the players are renting them out for. There should have been a cap on how many houses you could buy - thereby allowing us other players to get a house when we were ready. I don't appreciate another player having a say so in what I can do with my own house! What happens if you piss them off for some reason????????!!
==========
Too funny - lol.

Interesting. In the "old days", gold selling was a bannable offence, as was using an exploit for gain, and GMs were on the lookout for it. This is clearly a gold selling route, and one could argue that buying a house for occupation by someone else is an exploit. Bans should follow, except that I guess the people doing this are people Turbine doesn't want to lose. What a dilemma for them.

By allowing the mailing of store stuff with MC cost Turbine legalized a certain way of gold selling. There's a major difference though: In those transactions Turbine get their share (in MC). As they don't get a cut from this one I suspect they would break in, unless they find the revenue from the tomb pimpers juicier :P

"tomb pimper" is too funny!   We do have a "tomb warden" title in game, that one might get a lot more use now.

I like my Bree and dwarf houses just fine, and I find that the hook placement there is a lot better than in the premium houses.  Too many bare spots and odd choices in the new ones - whoever did the hook placement, they don't have a very good eye for design.

• 1 month later...

It turns out that the stage areas in the Premium Housing neighborhoods all have the Serious Business buff added to prevent emotes from being used.

People who paid for kinship islands and want to have parties/performances can't use their emotes in the gathering spots:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649368-Disabled-Emote-Areas-in-Belfalas-WHY&p=7672793#post7672793

Some of you may remember the long, drawn-out OF uproar over Trolls Gone Wild at musical performances that led to the addition of the serious business buff in these areas in the first place, with Landroval leading the charge.  If this gains any traction, I wonder how Turbine will react.  Unhappy Mithril Coin spenders on the one side vs. the "It's the RPers/musicians who keep this game going and we must be respected" contingent on the other side.  Who gets kicked to the curb?

• 2 weeks later...